Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fart City posted:

I maintain my pet theory that Guy Pearce ain't playing the "true" Mandarin at all.

should've given him purple shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

I maintain my pet theory that Guy Pearce ain't playing the "true" Mandarin at all.

They made a short film to appease people like you, but realize it doesn't matter so it was never brought up again.

Which, yeah, good. They panicked. But then they handled it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daddy Thanos posted:

There haven't been any good comedy movies in decades because everyone with the ability to make one is making memes now instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZi3rJPENs

It's a TV show and they wrote really good jokes and it has Matt Berry and they get way too loving deep into obscure vampire lore. It kicks loving rear end

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

They made a short film to appease people like you, but realize it doesn't matter so it was never brought up again.

what?

I'm perfectly happy with Guy Pearce playing the MCU equivalent of a dragon that breathes fire. Literally have no beef with it. And I think the IM3 interpretation of The Mandarin works better than the comics.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

Imagine using 'white washing' to criticise a depiction of the Mandarin.

Well he’s right.

It’s absolutely a failure that they couldn’t find a way to make a character who’s a bad guy and happens to be from China (or Afghanistan, as implied back in Iron Man 1) without making Stark and the MCU seem racist - because of course they are racist.

Like if you need a rule, for public relations purposes, that you can never interact with people of colour unless they’re explicitly your friend... that’s kinda weird, no?

The short is like almost good because lol Stark has completely failed to defeat his arch-nemesis and may not even be aware he‘s still out there.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I maintain that you can remove the racism from Fu Manchu because what makes him an interesting villain isn't the racist part of character but rather the rest.

I also want a Charlie Chan remake that takes the idea of a Chinese-American detective in the 1920s seriously. He was written as a setereotype-breaking, anti-racist character back then, he can become one again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

what?

I'm perfectly happy with Guy Pearce playing the MCU equivalent of a dragon that breathes fire. Literally have no beef with it. And I think the IM3 interpretation of The Mandarin works better than the comics.

Oh, okay. You said he wasn't "the true" mandarin, which made me think you wanted there to be a more realer one or whatever. They made this short film to say "yeah, neither trevor or Killian were the REAL guy, believe me, he comin!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE&t=604s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Are the one shots MCU canon? Or have they been retconned into nonexistence like The Incredible Hulk, and I guess Iron Man 3?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, okay. You said he wasn't "the true" mandarin, which made me think you wanted there to be a more realer one or whatever. They made this short film to say "yeah, neither trevor or Killian were the REAL guy, believe me, he comin!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE&t=604s

Don't give a poo poo about the shorts, tbh. Ben Kingsley being an actor playing an American Bogeyman was good enough the first time through for me. And Guy Pearce is a stand-in for Fin Fan Foom as far as I'm concerned.

SMG I get your point, but I prefer IM3's interpretation. It elevates a character that would otherwise just be mired in Otherism to something more interesting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Pretty sure he was making a Fing Fang Foom joke based on the post he quoted, so maybe calm down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

K. Waste posted:

... Watchmen literally has dudes getting blown up and stuck to the ceiling. And dismemberment. And compound fractures in slow motion.

Wait, I’m not the only one seeing the clear Snyder Watchmen influence, right? ‘Cause, lord, it’s pretty on the nose.

Now that you mention it I remember that but when I think of gore I think of the like, guts spilling out in this commercial and giant pastes of blood, not a stylistic zoom in to x-ray or someone exploding into a skellington. I don't remember the scene you're talking about visually though, the on really bloody shot I specifically remember is that oil guy suddenly realizing he's been shot in the brain as a steak of blood slowly drips down his forehead, or Rorschach disentegrating into blood on the snow with steam coming off (which I remember occurring in a fairly sanitary way but I haven't seen it in a long rear end time)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure he was making a Fing Fang Foom joke based on the post he quoted, so maybe calm down.

I am calm.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snowman_McK posted:

Imagine using 'white washing' to criticise a depiction of the Mandarin.

Especially when the actor that played the role is of Indian descent.

Guy Pearce was obviously not Fin Fang Foom since he never out anyone in his pants.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Now that you mention it I remember that but when I think of gore I think of the like, guts spilling out in this commercial and giant pastes of blood, not a stylistic zoom in to x-ray or someone exploding into a skellington. I don't remember the scene you're talking about visually though, the on really bloody shot I specifically remember is that oil guy suddenly realizing he's been shot in the brain as a steak of blood slowly drips down his forehead, or Rorschach disentegrating into blood on the snow with steam coming off (which I remember occurring in a fairly sanitary way but I haven't seen it in a long rear end time)

There's a scene where Dr. Manhattan blows up a bunch of gangsters/mobsters in like a restaurant and their blood and guts splatter over everyone. Their bowels are also stuck to the the ceiling, dripping blood and dangling. Lol.

[edit] Maybe that was in the Director's Cut only?

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

teagone posted:

Maybe that was in the Director's Cut only?

Definitely wasn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

There's a scene where Dr. Manhattan blows up a bunch of gangsters/mobsters in like a restaurant and their blood and guts splatter over everyone. Their bowels are also stuck to the the ceiling, dripping blood and dangling. Lol.

[edit] Maybe that was in the Director's Cut only?

That was in the original. That was a pretty wild scene. Threatrical cut is crazy violent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha oh yeah I remember that now that was some crazy poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watchmen is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGC6LpQN5I&t=56s

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTnrLh0DDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uFkyVVyqa0

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 18, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I maintain that you can remove the racism from Fu Manchu because what makes him an interesting villain isn't the racist part of character but rather the rest.

I also want a Charlie Chan remake that takes the idea of a Chinese-American detective in the 1920s seriously. He was written as a setereotype-breaking, anti-racist character back then, he can become one again.

Obviously by being played by Nicholas Cage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

*Giant blue penis

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GOTG still good fun. Oh boy here we go Age of Ultron :ohdear:

[edit] I really hate that "Language!" gag so much.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 18, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

GOTG still good fun. Oh boy here we go Age of Ultron :ohdear:

I'm on day 2 of trying to watch Age of Ultron haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So wait, what is the state of SHIELD in the MCU? I don't watch the SHIELD TV show so not sure how that factors in. Is it completely defunct in the cinematic universe? I just realized the organization has no presence in the movies past Winter Soldier. The gently caress does Fury do now? Just his own thing? Is he like, director for the Avengers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it just became The Avengers, and anyone who wasn't a secret Nazi just chills at the HQ.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I think it just became The Avengers, and anyone who wasn't a secret Nazi just chills at the HQ.

It owns that none of them were actually secret nazis, that the second it was revealed there were nazis, everyone knew exactly which side they were on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My understanding is that the show pretends it matters to the MCU.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snowman_McK posted:

It owns that none of them were actually secret nazis, that the second it was revealed there were nazis, everyone knew exactly which side they were on.

Well yeah they were all whispering 'Hail Hydra' to each other. Must have been awkward when you accidentally hailed the wrong guy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Well yeah they were all whispering 'Hail Hydra' to each other. Must have been awkward when you accidentally hailed the wrong guy

I love all those dudes who knew they weren't hydra, going 'I just wanted to use robotic helicarriers to kill bad guys based on a predictive pattern, completely unlike the nazis, who want to use robotic helicarriers to kill bad guys based on a predictive pattern'

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I like to imagine that a bunch of shield employees suddenly remembered times their coworkers had said poo poo like "You know, Hitler had some good ideas..." in the break room and belatedly realized they weren't just edge-lords but actual Nazis.

There is a comedy sketch in this idea somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwMVJ-QmUQ

Something like this maybe

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I just listened to the Avengers theme and it sucks rear end. Fitting for a team of failures

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

At the time of Age of Ultron, Shield was basically just the guys on the show plus a few others here and there. I like the show and the characters but you would have thought they would have realized "Hey, funding's been cut, and we aren't actually reporting to anyone... Maybe we should just go home?"

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

I was disappoint that wasn't this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3oRtN0iqE

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The only reason I can pick the Avengers theme out of a lineup is because of Tiktoks

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

My understanding is that the show pretends it matters to the MCU.

Basically. Since the heads of the movie and TV divisions of Marvel hate each others' guts there was no direct contact between their projects after about halfway through season one of Agents of SHIELD, so on the TV end SHIELD became a semi-secret organization fighting Hydra and doing paramilitary stuff against the Inhumans and other relatively low-level threats since Winter Soldier. The setup lets them react to movie happenings without actually being relevant to the MCU in any way, it's like a youtube fan series with a decent budget.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I'm on day 2 of trying to watch Age of Ultron haha.

Yeah, this movie sucks. I'll finish it tomorrow lol. At least I have Michael Pena to look forward to in Ant-Man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm sad that Marvel dropped the plan to have all heroes from the movies and TV show be in Infinity War + End Game. That could have been pretty epic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Yeah, this movie sucks. I'll finish it tomorrow lol. At least I have Michael Pena to look forward to in Ant-Man.

I dont hate everything in it, but it’s just so long for no real reason. Everything just goes on forever and it’s a very muddy looking movie.

I like all the Wanda flashback stuff, and James Spader. So far that’s it. But I’m like an hour in and there’s still another hour left...the tension is nigh unbearable!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I stopped after the Hulkbuster fight. I think the dialogue is annoying me more than anything else ever since I picked up on Whedon's style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I saw it in theaters and, while it's not technically the worst movie I've ever seen, it's absolutely the longest 2.5 hours I've ever spent in a theater. Like, god drat that movie just feels like it's six hours long for no apparent reason.