Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

didn't Tarnowski come out with that OSR clone nominally set in Indian mythology

Was this intended to be a riff off Empire of the Petal Throne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe the setting is quite different, but he ripped of EotPT wholesale. I heard someone got banned from his forum for pointing out that the spell list was a copypaste.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Name 3 fascist wizards
Helena Blavatsky, Julius Evola, Anton Drexler, Karl Harrer, Alfred Rosenberg, Walther Darre, Heinrich Himmler, Savitri Deva, Miguel Serrano, Varg Vikernes, Nikolas and Zeena Schreck, Douglas Pearce, every other half-wit who moans into a microphone for an hour and calls it "neo-folk." Nazi ideology was literally written by wizards.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Naziism really wasn't written by the occultists. Now, the SS specifically got really into lovely neopagan occultism, but it was much more a case of fascist wizards hitching a ride on the industrialized genocide train of Naziism than anything else.

That being said, fascist wizards are still fascists, and one of the joys of Mage: The Awakening is murdering the antagonist Solar of fascist wizards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PST posted:

Yeah and it was really bad and a classic example of someone using wikipedia and a couple of other sources to write a 'comprehensive' mythological guide to one of the most complex theological belief structures in the world.

Of course, he continues to claim how special he is for doing it and how random chad (37, Minnesota) has hailed it as the greatest work in archeological history, because of course he does.

He's also used it as a defense of he can't be racist because clearly Indian people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Naziism really wasn't written by the occultists. Now, the SS specifically got really into lovely neopagan occultism, but it was much more a case of fascist wizards hitching a ride on the industrialized genocide train of Naziism than anything else.

That being said, fascist wizards are still fascists, and one of the joys of Mage: The Awakening is murdering the antagonist Solar of fascist wizards.
They were there at the founding of the party, dogg. It's more like they got left behind at the station because Hitler realized that you can't conquer the world with an elitist snooty wizard club.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's not forget Nathan Bedford Forrest and his whole cabal of wizards

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Halloween Jack posted:

They were there at the founding of the party, dogg. It's more like they got left behind at the station because Hitler realized that you can't conquer the world with an elitist snooty wizard club.

The elitist snooty wizard club wasn't all left behind. The Nazi party went back and forth on their interest in magic. Of course to make magic sound more "rational" they called the disciplines in it "Border science." This book Hitler’s Monsters: A Supernatural History of the Third Reich covers it in depth.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I mean the Venn diagram of 'occultists in/around Weimar Germany' and 'wealthy elite courted by Nazis' would probably look a lot like a circle inside of a bigger circle

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Vikernes' only claim too being a wizard is cosplaying Gandalf.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

LatwPIAT posted:

Vikernes' only claim too being a wizard is cosplaying Gandalf.

Vikernes is a fascist bard.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not defending the Nazi wizards, but their influence is really overstated. Hitler wasn't particularly conversant with them and the Nazi ideology was always deeply Christian (albeit, of course, primarily in a pretty self-serving way). A lot of the reason the occultism gets pointed to as a core part of Nazi beliefs is to cover up how much Naziism arose naturally from the antisemitism and nationalism of the era.

Naziism would have happened without wizards, is all I'm saying. Fascist occultists like to think they're the secret drivers of fascism but they pretty rarely are!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Darwinism posted:

I mean the Venn diagram of 'occultists in/around Weimar Germany' and 'wealthy elite courted by Nazis' would probably look a lot like a circle inside of a bigger circle

Also this. (Sorry for doublepost)

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Joe Slowboat posted:

Fascist occultists like to think they're the secret drivers of fascism but they pretty rarely are!

No, but fascist occultists do tend to play a role driving fascism inside occultism. Julius Evola is still influential; 'nuff said. As a magical practitioner myself -- and a woman, and raised Jewish -- I'm, well, I guess I'm even more enthusiastic about punching fascist occultists than about punching regular fascists.

wikipedia posted:

During his trial in 1951, Evola denied being a fascist and instead referred to himself as a "superfascist".

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Monokeros deAstris posted:

No, but fascist occultists do tend to play a role driving fascism inside occultism. Julius Evola is still influential; 'nuff said. As a magical practitioner myself -- and a woman, and raised Jewish -- I'm, well, I guess I'm even more enthusiastic about punching fascist occultists than about punching regular fascists.

Oh, definitely, and gently caress to Evola forever. I'm not a practitioner, but I'm generally very interested in occultism, and that absolutely makes me despise the guy more. I just think keeping in mind the actual influence and relationships involved is valuable, for historical reasons, and especially so that we don't mistake the world's Evolas' self-aggrandizement for reality.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ah but you see, he was saying it in order to mind-freak you, to test your boundaries (unless you happen to be a fascist with a lot of money in which case he absolutely meant it and would like some money, please)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Looks like Wizards of the Coast is doing a thing.

https://www.customink.com/fundraising/wotc_lamberthouse_2019

quote:

Gamer PRIDE!

Wizards of the Coast and Lambert House are partnering to kick off PRIDE season. We have a bigger selection of items to choose from for you to show off your PRIDE this year. Net profits of this sale will benefit Lambert House, a center for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. The Lambert House empowers youth through the development of leadership, social, and life skills by offering over 20 programs, activities, resources, and services on an on-going, year-round basis. Funds will go towards helping the Lambert House buy a permanent home for the LGBTQ youth community. Their goal is to continue to provide services to LGBTQ youth and expand their outreach and we want to help! Thank you for your support!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wearing the current D&D logo for pride should get your mouth rinsed out with soap. gently caress right off with that poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah that's also Mike Mearls's Twitter avatar, which has it's own associated baggage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So this is what Mike Mearls has been feverishly hard at work on during his two months of social media silence.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It seemed like a shield, but I do have to check my cynicism sometimes.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Helical Nightmares posted:

It seemed like a shield, but I do have to check my cynicism sometimes.

This isn’t really cynicism though? Cynicism is when you expect the worst for no reason, and there is pretty good reason to think badly of Mike Mearls and WotC in general?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea as a gay myself I don't much give a poo poo about this considering A) that's literally what Mearls' twitter icon is right now so cool to wear that around on my chest, and B) they've done nothing to actually show they're DOING anything for LGBTQ+ tabletop communities and all.

Like, Pathfinder also eats butt but don't they at least make a genuine effort to hire minority artists/freelancers/etc and all? That's literally the bare minimum a company can do but even that would be a more meaningful action than 'we made our logo rainbow'

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Mearls' contribution to the discourse has basically been 'Zak is a stand up guy here's my rainbow ampersand."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I know the logo being rainbow is a company thing but boy is it unpleasant to see it when I now mainly associate it with Mearls, branding is fun!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

That's a lot of shirts sold for LGBTQ youth though :woop:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That is pretty much the least effort they could have gone to.

It's a Custom Ink store. The t-shirt printing place that advertises on late-night radio stations. All WotC provided was a couple vectors they had lying around and a retweet or two.

Lambert House is a 501(c)(3), if you'd rather just toss them a couple bucks and skip the middlemen getting their cuts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea obviously the charity getting money is good, but they're a major company putting about as much work in as "Jeff is doing a 5k for diabetes" when they've been dealing with the issue of having hired a super abusive freak who's targets included LGBTQ people.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe the setting is quite different, but he ripped of EotPT wholesale. I heard someone got banned from his forum for pointing out that the spell list was a copypaste.

I'd like to talk about EPT some more but this is def. not the place for it. I should just do an F&F.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DalaranJ posted:

I'd like to talk about EPT some more but this is def. not the place for it. I should just do an F&F.

Oh do, please do. I'm grossly underqualified to do it, and I've been tempted a few times.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

This is at least the second time they've had the rainbow-ampersand shirts thing running; they did the same thing last spring at the very least (also in support of Lambert House). That's when Mearls picked up his (now not-so)new Twitter avatar.

So it's a thing that sure looks feeble as all hell after the Mearls and Zak S. shite and they should be doing a hell of a lot more after that shite, but it's not something they've newly kludged together because of it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Well, having learned here of the Bill Webb thing I've written to cancel my pledges on Bunnies & Burrows, The Fantasy Trip, Fantasy Trip Adventures and Pocket Box Games. Fantasy Trip is apparently hyper-close to shipping so it might be too late to avoid me getting the thing but we'll see.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Liquid Communism posted:

That is pretty much the least effort they could have gone to.

It's a Custom Ink store. The t-shirt printing place that advertises on late-night radio stations. All WotC provided was a couple vectors they had lying around and a retweet or two.

Lambert House is a 501(c)(3), if you'd rather just toss them a couple bucks and skip the middlemen getting their cuts.

Yeah, like, note, WotC is literally doing nothing. They put their logo on a shirt and they're selling it with net profits going to the Lambert House. WotC themselves are donating absolutely nothing. It's just free advertising for them, and a way for them to dodge how much they helped Zak S attack literally the same people this is meant to help.

It's scum wrapped in philanthropy.

Take the money you would've spent on the shirt and just loving donate it entirely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, like, note, WotC is literally doing nothing. They put their logo on a shirt and they're selling it with net profits going to the Lambert House. WotC themselves are donating absolutely nothing. It's just free advertising for them, and a way for them to dodge how much they helped Zak S attack literally the same people this is meant to help.

I think WotC's contribution is pushing Phoenix forward and having her do a goodwill offensive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I think WotC's contribution is pushing Phoenix forward and having her do a goodwill offensive.

Excellent, use one of Zak's enablers to cover up for Zak THIS IS MORALLY GOOD

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't want to come across like I'm excusing Mike Mearls' behaviour, saying he just doesn't know what he's doing, etc. but bear in mind all evidence points to him being a dumbfuck who doesn't know what he's doing.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't want to come across like I'm excusing Mike Mearls' behaviour, saying he just doesn't know what he's doing, etc. but bear in mind all evidence points to him being a dumbfuck who doesn't know what he's doing.

Oh I definitely think he’s a dumbass, I just also think he’s a shithead.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I love the kind of internet argument where two people try to prove precisely how much of a shmuck someone is.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Ratoslov posted:

I love the kind of internet argument where two people try to prove precisely how much of a shmuck someone is.

HE’S A 7/10 ON THE DICKOMETER DAMMIT, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I do not buy the argument that he is unapologetically supporting abusers because he is too dumb.

He may be malicious AND dumb, but he's not just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Jimbozig posted:

I do not buy the argument that he is unapologetically supporting abusers because he is too dumb.

He may be malicious AND dumb, but he's not just dumb.

Being dumb can lead to malice.

(But yeah he is both actively malicious and passively foolish.)