Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I've been wanting a ledger for dynasty prestige since 1.0. The game of thrones mod has a decision for it so it's very possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Party In My Diapee posted:

I've been wanting a ledger for dynasty prestige since 1.0. The game of thrones mod has a decision for it so it's very possible.

:same:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Man, it's annoying not to get any response on the bug report forum. I posted about the bug that cripples secret cult induction when I discovered it at the end of last year, with exact reference to the event code responsible and how to fix it, and got no acknowledgement. Bumped the thread about it recently, and it looks to be proceeding the same way again. A fix is right there, they just have to pick it up and take it.

Try posting a new thread labeled for the current version. I had a bunch of reports ignored last patch that I reposted recently and got responses.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I've found the most effective way of overcoming the Ever Terrible Demesne Limit is to squeeze out a male child, dump all excess territory on the baby, and then the vassals generally get off my back for the next few years at least. By the time the kid grows up, dad is probably about to bite it, kiddo will inherit everything and all is well in Irela

"A son has been born to you!"

"You have suffered a mysterious fall from a balcony."

"You are now King Peter of Ireland, 0 years old and 11 slots over your demesne limit."

Well

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Keep cycling through good, unlanded spy masters. Once a year, get a new spymaster. Generally a low opinion or low negative opinion from a spymaster who isnt landed wont matter and they'll still feed you plots. Ideally you invite one to court who doesn't need a bribe then bribe him and he'll usually love you.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

So I've found the most effective way of overcoming the Ever Terrible Demesne Limit is to squeeze out a male child, dump all excess territory on the baby, and then the vassals generally get off my back for the next few years at least. By the time the kid grows up, dad is probably about to bite it, kiddo will inherit everything and all is well in Irela

"You are now King Peter of Ireland, 0 years old and 11 slots over your demesne limit."

Well

Eh the best way to handle your vassals being mad about your desmense is to first invest heavily in centralization laws and then secondly to brutally oppress any vassal who still feels like talking poo poo. Your tyranny penalties really only matter if you have any direct vassals who aren't under house arrest for the rest of their natural lives.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I've been messing with the great works. My Findings

The Garden can have a fountain of youth which lets you lose 2 years of age every 10 years starting at 18. (18-16 26-24 34-32 32-30 40-38 48-46 56-54 64-62 etc) I Wanted to see what would happen if my ruler became younger than when he was crowned but uh... died of a duel wound because I made a pistol and was trying to get the FIGHT EVERYONE bloodline via duels.

Owning the pope is good for that, hire courtiers, excommunicate them and then shoot them in the face

Royal palace is ok,

I think the great walls might be fun for fighting china if you want to do that.

One good point of great works is that they do add a holding slot to the province over time which is kinda nice.

Library is very nice for the books and university is good as well.

I haven't messed with the underground city (gotten my rear end to petra) or pyramids at all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Any of you ever had to fight a Child of Destiny since Holy Fury added them, and know if they have any additional events or gimmicks to watch out for once they get the big group of event troops and launch their first invasion?

For context: in my current Celtic Brittany game, things took a turn for the weird around 880ish when Rollo, fresh off taking Normandy from the Karling Emperor, immediately turned around and launched a prepared invasion of Mercia (who basically own the half of England I didn't already own). Mercia had more troops than Normandy and I figured I would just let them fight since I could comfortably defeat whichever of them won, BUT Mercia's 9K troops sitting in Lancaster seemed to be completely ignoring the 4-5K invading Vikings in York, even though they could have utterly smashed them.

I chalked it up to an AI brain fart, until one of my vassals decided to invade the Isle of Man and marched an army up through Lancaster and revealed...20-30K event troops under some random Berber teenager sieging between the Mercian soldiers and the Vikings. Oh. That's why.

So Ismail the Great is now King of (approximately half of) England, and adopted Anglo-Saxon culture while staying Sunni. I guess forming Prydain isn't going to be QUITE as easy, but hey, just more Saxons to throw off my island, right? I can raise 21-22k levies and both my current king and the likely heir (it's Tanistry so not totally predictable) are 20+-martial and 100+-PCS combat monsters, so (assuming the Karlings don't find an excuse to Holy War me while I'm busy) I can probably think out a win in a straight fight, defeat the event troops in detail, and go back to walking over England - but is it going to be a straight fight?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 16, 2019

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

A child of destiny has appeared in my game this time, but he's a drunk lecher and my friend. He did take over Anatolia from the caliph so that's good.

My character married a drunkard woman and now all his children are dumb

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Eughhh so I got tired and didn't read a surrender notice right during a war to revoke a viceroyalty kingdom. Warscore was like 20% in my favor so I assumed my vassal was surrendering to me and just clicked yes.

He was demanding my surrender and I accepted, which caused my dude to abdicate and get replaced with by his heir. Whoopsie!

Now the former emperor is stuck chilling with his wife in Iceland, but he took all of his items with him! Good items, too. Two quality 4 magnum opuses, a bunch of high-level crusade rewards, etc. What's the best way to get them back? Should I just murder his family until I inherit all his poo poo?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Eughhh so I got tired and didn't read a surrender notice right during a war to revoke a viceroyalty kingdom. Warscore was like 20% in my favor so I assumed my vassal was surrendering to me and just clicked yes.

He was demanding my surrender and I accepted, which caused my dude to abdicate and get replaced with by his heir. Whoopsie!
Always read the fine print.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
smh, look who wasn't playing the game back when AIs would try and switch your betrothals to matrilineal in hope that you wouldn't notice.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Now the former emperor is stuck chilling with his wife in Iceland, but he took all of his items with him! Good items, too. Two quality 4 magnum opuses, a bunch of high-level crusade rewards, etc. What's the best way to get them back? Should I just murder his family until I inherit all his poo poo?

That's pretty much the only way to get them back (aside from sieges, but inheritance has a better chance).

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So I’m playing as the duke of Austria, almost able to form the archduchy. Only problem is that the Templars own a single barony in styria. Do I need to be the Kaiser in order to get them to gently caress off?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I was doing the immortality questline but then never got a followup after I started on the second trial. So I went and checked the mystic character and discovered she had died...of old age. And she wasn't even a fraud either. I just cheated and reloaded and this time she didn't die in the middle and now I'm immortal. Except now I can't do the forge bloodline ambition. I have all this time to build stuff now, but oh well. I guess whenever I decide to kill myself I'll designate someone without the bloodline as my heir, so then I'd presumably be able to take the ambition and then wrangle the immortal bloodline back in to my next heir. That would put me at four bloodlines. Eldership succession makes everything pretty easy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So the AI in this game *really* likes springing wars on you when you're busy. I gather enough means to declare war on Scotland. Immediately my uncle declares Wales (unfortunately Wales was lost to family somewhere along the line) is going to conquer Ireland. Scotland is mighty enough I have to pretty much straight off surrender the war I just started (nothing of value was lost except money), send everyone down and kick my uncle's rear end. Which I do, ending his claim...right in time for Scotland to declare war again.

...k, so now they have about 8000 troops occupying my northermost territory, I can muster about 6000 at best (that is with hiring mercs I can afford), which in my experience is 100% a loss if I try that fight. Can't surrender this one either or it's goodbye to Ireland. This will be something

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The Ark of the Covenant should have passed from the King of Abyssinia his son and heir, the Duke of Wag, but instead it went to his half-brother's wife, and then from her to a Bön Tibetan lady in Asturias outside of diplomatic range. :mad:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dilemma momentarily solved. Gave away the county Scotland was occupying right as their siege was about to work, gave him independence, and nyah, you have nothing to conquer, rear end in a top hat. Meanwhile I hired the biggest merc company I could, set them northward and cut off the Scottish army just as they were moving into Ireland to beat the poo poo out of my puny standing forces.

So now I'm about at 71% warscore, Scotland is occupying another territory on the Irish border. Was going to go ahead and move the mercs in to finish them, but I've gone into debt and I'm not really sure how long I can push it before I risk those guys turning on me. No DLCs, so I can't just borrow money to pay them and end this thing either. Grr.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

DeathChicken posted:

Well

Another problem is that you don’t get to set the childhood and education focii on landed kids. At least not that I could tell. You can click a little box to prevent them from marrying, though.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Palemdromes posted:

Another problem is that you don’t get to set the childhood and education focii on landed kids. At least not that I could tell. You can click a little box to prevent them from marrying, though.

If you're their liege then you should be able to assign a guardian which does allow you to choose foci

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
what the hell is a foci

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Elias_Maluco posted:

what the hell is a foci

The plural of focus.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Does playing as an inbred character give you any special events? I don't think I've ever played as an imbecile or inbred character. I have a couple of them roaming around due to my bloodline breeding and I'm a little curious. Some of my characters have been dull and I got special options on events that I could do "because I am dumb". These usually were not very good options.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Does playing as an inbred character give you any special events? I don't think I've ever played as an imbecile or inbred character. I have a couple of them roaming around due to my bloodline breeding and I'm a little curious. Some of my characters have been dull and I got special options on events that I could do "because I am dumb". These usually were not very good options.

doing a search of the code for you

e: it doesn't look like it. there's a few events that get flavor text/have more negative affects for being inbred, same as being dumb or having vices, but there's no events that outright have a thing saying "you have to be inbred to see this event."

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 17, 2019

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm going to assume mercs ditching you for lack of money is a percentage chance? Seems I've had it happen immediately upon going into debt and had them stick around long enough to be useful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I'm going to assume mercs ditching you for lack of money is a percentage chance? Seems I've had it happen immediately upon going into debt and had them stick around long enough to be useful.

mtth of 3 months if my memory serves me right but yeah it's one of those things that will eventually happen but doesn't always happen immediately.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'd pay for an event expansion centered solely around characters with bad traits and stats. Well, I'd pay for literally any event expansion but still.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, good. Bum rushing my unpaid merc brigade finished off the last of the Scots and ended the stupid war/the Scottish claim on Ireland. And they paid me enough to clear out the debt I was in.

...now my biggest threat is a duke in north Ireland who has somehow banded more potential troops than I have. Strong enough to not be scared of my Revoke option, anyway. I'm fairly certain I can merc him to death if needed, but it would be nice actually having money for once.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

GHOST_BUTT posted:

If you're their liege then you should be able to assign a guardian which does allow you to choose foci

Could’ve sworn I was their guardian, but maybe not. I fixed their childhood focus before landing them but never got a prompt for the career one, and I know I didn’t choose it because I always go military education unless they have double complimentary traits for one of the other educations. I...I may have a problem with having my characters lead armies. My name is palemdromes and I am an addict to battlefield events.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Palemdromes posted:

Could’ve sworn I was their guardian, but maybe not. I fixed their childhood focus before landing them but never got a prompt for the career one, and I know I didn’t choose it because I always go military education unless they have double complimentary traits for one of the other educations. I...I may have a problem with having my characters lead armies. My name is palemdromes and I am an addict to battlefield events.

You can only pick a focus for kids in your court, not ones outside of it afaik. If they're landed then they can pick whatever they want for themselves since they're the liege for that court.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How am I meant to mend the schism as Byzantium? It says I have to completely control the county of Constantinople, and that I don't.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Does someone outside your empire control one of the baronies, cities, or bishoprics? Easiest way to figure it out is to see if there's a tiny shield present in the county when looking at it on the map.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can demand kids outside your court get their focus set to Heritage, which is good when trying to get your realm culturally uniform.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jedit posted:

How am I meant to mend the schism as Byzantium? It says I have to completely control the county of Constantinople, and that I don't.

I think the Hagia Sophia maybe technically belongs to the Patriarch, and you may have to kick him out (and then give it back once the schism is mended so he doesn't hate you)? I may have been playing a Hellenic game when I did that though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have had just a lovely game from 769 with fully randomized epidemics and invasions as Songhai. Less than a hundred years in I've reformed African Paganism into a defensive, astrological, totem-crafting theological weapon. The reforming god-queen earned the necessary moral authority to reform by defeating an Umayyad invasion. She was also chief heroine of the Children of the Storm secret society, and used her power to craft a terrifying totem-mask before her death. That and the Whispering Crown of reformed African Paganism are now the core of the Songhai treasury, which is bound to grow now that African Pagans can join the Hermetic Order.

The Aztecs landed in Cornwall a few years ago, and the Mongols exploded onto the steppe hilariously early in the 800s (including a Yuan Dynasty China in the background), so the world's in for a real topsy-turvey one already.

Also, the mother of the queen who reformed paganism, who ruled as queen herself and established the Songhai royal title in the first place, married Pepin the Hunchback matrilineally. The reforming queen's heir, her half-brother, is the son of the giant queen and Pepin, named Pepen. A grandson of Charlemagne is now god-king of Songhai and Hero of the Children of the Storm warrior cult. His father, Pepin the Frank, soldiered in his gigantic wife's armies for many years, and served for many more as her Spymaster. Pepin the Hunchback outlived his queen by several years to die peacefully at the royal palace in Gao, a good Catholic to the last and respected father of chieftains.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Finally got an Immortal ruler, but of course it's not his Strong dad or his Genius kids, I get stuck with the one-handed syphilitic guy whose only use had been spamming the Tengri Warrior Lodge decision that trades 150 Renown for 1000k pop and 500 manpower. On the plus side, he descended into Lunacy so now I have an Immortal Glitterhoof too!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My crusader king's son somehow managed to become the emperor of Byzantium, but my Dumb older son somehow managed to pop out a son with his chaste 40 year old theologian wife, so it'll be a trip getting the good son to inherit my title as well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So with Ireland currently back on stable footing via the good old "Baby son can have enough lands dumped on him that I actually have tax income again", I decide the best course is to start taking back lands I lost as I *really* want the Irish Empire of Britannia. Britain is mean, Scotland is doable, Wales is punier than those two and one of their dukes has a claim on me they're sure to spring at a bad time. That's settled, I just kick their rear end, and...

"Your king has suffered a head wound in battle. Your designated regent is now...it doesn't matter, your wife just grabbed the regency."

"I have a wife?"

Not too bad I suppose, he's certain to die shortly and then I'm just back to Baby Son owning everything (this happened right before I won and took Wales for him), but I look forward to several years of Drooling Idiot responses to every event.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

never, EVER let your ruler fight. just don't do it. i don't care if they have 40+ martial and 150+ personal combat skill. they will get blindsided by some poo poo and put into a coma in their first war, i practically guarantee you.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Coolguye posted:

never, EVER let your ruler fight. just don't do it. i don't care if they have 40+ martial and 150+ personal combat skill. they will get blindsided by some poo poo and put into a coma in their first war, i practically guarantee you.

coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coolguye posted:

Load your saves silly.