Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I am in Siem Reap. What are fun things to do in terms of night life?

ReindeerF posted:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1646832/election-war-room-polices-social-media

It's not just about article 12. It's about the defamation rules and the strong focus on online content. I have friends who post critical things regularly and nothing has happened, but it's one of those why take a risk things. That doesn't mean that people don't post their opinions, they are just a little careful about how they do it.

With that said, if you go back through my comments over the years you'll see plenty of openly critical comments, but most of us host here don't post them in the travel forum because that's not what people come here for. We post them in the politics forum. If we do it all.

Yeah I tried posting the question in the political forum but I couldn't find it. It seems to have... disappeared. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

There's a Line chat?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FortMan posted:

There's a Line chat?

I'm still in it from years ago. I should say hello to people again

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are there any native Thai goons around here? I’m sure the more political minded ones will feel the stakes are bigger and rant more

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Are there any native Thai goons around here? I’m sure the more political minded ones will feel the stakes are bigger and rant more
So far as I know, the guy two posts above you is the only one - but I don't want to speak for him since I don't know that for sure, it's always just been implied.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah I tried posting the question in the political forum but I couldn't find it. It seems to have... disappeared. :tinfoil:
I started a new SEA thread during the elections which I don't pay much attention to, I'm sure it could use your help!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886259

FortMan posted:

There's a Line chat?
Ka!

DM me if you desperately want to stay up with what a handful of former SEA expats now living elsewhere are up to. The latest post was Ringo (now in Europe) responding to another goon telling us that he's now in New Zealand. Before that, GDPR chat by former SEA expats now living in Europe, Taiwan and the US. Before that Mexican food chat with former SEA expats living in Europe, Taiwan and the US. Etc. Etc.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 14, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ringo is in newzealand? Too bad I was just there

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I wanna go to bkk, who is there?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So do kids always supersoaker pedestrians and drivers or is that a Khmer New Year thing?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving Christ

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys I saw chinese people celebrating their own new year during February. It’s only a chinese thing am I right????

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

caberham posted:

Jesus loving Christ

Where?

caberham posted:

Hey guys I saw chinese people celebrating their own new year during February. It’s only a chinese thing am I right????

You read the tone of my post wrong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
GET THE gently caress OUT OF ASIA.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

caberham posted:

<= This one right here. Although, I don't usually speak politics with strangers (something to fix?).

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do kids always supersoaker pedestrians and drivers or is that a Khmer New Year thing?

Very common here in Thailand, I guess they do that there too. (Also in Southern Yunnan, Zhuang Community in Guanxi, etc.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah the new year is celebrated by soaking each other. It’s common around the neighborhood from what I know (Thailand/Cam/Lao/Southern China, maybe Myanmar?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FortMan posted:

Very common here in Thailand, I guess they do that there too. (Also in Southern Yunnan, Zhuang Community in Guanxi, etc.)

Thanks. I think it's really cool. I like how everyone is so chill with it.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah the new year is celebrated by soaking each other. It’s common around the neighborhood from what I know (Thailand/Cam/Lao/Southern China, maybe Myanmar?

That's awesome.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 14, 2019

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just stick around for several years and you will turn into one of the rest of us with our Post-Traumatic Songkran Disorder.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I thought you guys were taking fun of me, but you weren't. I looked it up and water fights for new year is a thing in Asia. This has to happen in the United States.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The Thai version is called Songkran and it's pretty well-known, a lot of westerners travel to Thailand specifically for it. Like going to Brazil for Carnival, or to Pamplona for the running of the bulls.

I doubt it'll take off back in the states though, any sort of organised event would be bankrupted from the public liability insurance requirements almost immediately :capitalism:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

caberham posted:

I wanna go to bkk, who is there?

I'm in Bangkok still.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I am in Bangkok, but in about 3 days I'm headed out on a month-long business trip. You won't have to lose your phone this time!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I am in Siem Reap. What are fun things to do in terms of night life?

Eat and drink. A posh newish cocktail place called Menaka opened up there a little while back. Go see and then leave Pub Street, then go eat drunk food and keep drinking at Chae Ngek.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Real talk, the best thing to happen to Thailand (and this is true for most SEA countries) is for holidays like Songkran to fade and Halloween to be celebrated more.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uhhhhh no wtf? Even when I started to get a little bit old man grumpy sometimes during my 6th or 7th songkran when I just wanted to go to 7-11 quickly without getting drenched, I still never got bored of the madness and fun of it all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Eat and drink. A posh newish cocktail place called Menaka opened up there a little while back. Go see and then leave Pub Street, then go eat drunk food and keep drinking at Chae Ngek.

Awesome. Thanks.

Shammypants posted:

Real talk, the best thing to happen to Thailand (and this is true for most SEA countries) is for holidays like Songkran to fade and Halloween to be celebrated more.
Eww.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Awesome. Thanks.

Eww.

Nothing says “not eww” like getting pisswater shot in your face and having a female friend groped by a pervert in a crowd. The local tradition and family parts of the holiday are fine but the gross poo poo and overdone foam parties can go away and if wouldn’t matter to anyone

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edit - NVM.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Songkran expresses itself in many ways. Some of it is kids running around having what amounts to a citywide water gun fight, some of it is like Mardi Gras with all the excess and, sometimes, bad faith that that entails, and some of it is oh god, stay off the roads, everyone is drunk.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Regardless, “other countries should celebrate American holidays more, at the expense of their own traditions” is a pretty spicy take

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

webmeister posted:

Regardless, “other countries should celebrate American holidays more, at the expense of their own traditions” is a pretty spicy take

I wouldn't mind America celebrating some other holidays too, that'd be dope

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I spent two days throwing buckets of ice water at everyone in Chiang Mai partying with my Thai friend and her friends and now I'm just chilling at her family house with all her relatives and friends and no one speaks English and my friend is running errands but it's sabai.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Songkran is definitely in full force in Chiang Mai, the air even cleared up a bit today and the mountains are popping again.

I met someone from my home town too, with the same stupid pineapple wearing sunglasses tattoo that I have, crazy world. I'll do a photo dump when I get home.

Pretty sure I'm going to check out Udon Thani after Chiang Mai. Someone I met from Bangkok is back there so I'll have another local to show me around.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Also this is properly hot. Thank gently caress it's less humid than Phucket so I'm not just sweating buckets up and down the street.

I'll do a write up when I get home but I can't recommend Phuket very much at all. I still had fun though. I know it's not fair to say I can't recommend a whole big place but Phuket is way to resort developed. I don't like that poo poo back home and I definitely don't like how much money it cost me. More than at home, might as well book a trip to Europe.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 15, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s convenient that’s for sure

There’s always krabi and other areas for you to check out

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Live and learn, and it's not like I had a bad time. I got to Panangn and Chang last time I went and I enjoyed both of those a lot more and I guess for me going a bit out of the way is definitely worth it.

Any way happy Songkran I'm gonna get back to the party.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My advice on Phuket for tourists is that, other than Phuket Town which is legit great, you can do pretty much everything you want to do from Ao Nang (Krabi) and it's about a million times more chill and friendly. So I would agree with cabe.

Of course 90% of people just can't get past the mind numbing amount of promotion of Phuket and they go anyway. Amazingly, some even like it. I guess if you're from Siberia..

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 15, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Yea so many Russians. I'll never say a bad thing about Chinese tourists ever again. Wow.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So what happened?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Besides Russians being rude assholes?

Edit: I'm going to stop generalizing and I'm drunk and I'm gonna stop posting for a bit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I'm coming to Bangkok in October am I going to be rained on to all poo poo or will the weather start getting better? I've booked for a three day weekend and can only be in the city.

Also I'm arriving at BKK at around midnight so should I just download Grab to get a car or try my luck with taxis?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
grab, I like it and it’s good insurance