Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah from what I gathered I would have two playstore accounts that I can switch back and forth depending on the playstore I want to use.

My question is if I need to be switched into the jp one to play the game, or if after installing it I can just switch back to my normal one and forget about the jp one entirely.

But if none of the goons here have tried this, I guess I can report back.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No you don't. Once you have the game it doesn't care about accounts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya I remember reading some article that the conviction rate in Japan absurdly high, so if you get trialed you almost always lose.

I mean the US conviction rate is extremely high for the same reasons; people confess to stuff all the time and something absurd like 1/3 of all people who confess to crimes didnt do it. Its not a uniquely japanese thing.

If you are american and the police want to talk to you for literally any reason, and I mean any, the only thing you say "I am invoking my miranda rights and would like a lawyer present on my behalf before we continue speaking".

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Barudak posted:

I mean the US conviction rate is extremely high for the same reasons; people confess to stuff all the time and something absurd like 1/3 of all people who confess to crimes didnt do it. Its not a uniquely japanese thing.

If you are american and the police want to talk to you for literally any reason, and I mean any, the only thing you say "I am invoking my miranda rights and would like a lawyer present on my behalf before we continue speaking".

Yeah, and it's hosed up that a whole generation of shows and books has made a lot of people think that if you do that, then you're suspicious.

ALSO, and I'm sorry for making so many tech questions but I'm a scaredey person, if you ever got into ToS problems etc with your jp Google side account, only that one would be ever in trouble right? Nothing could ever happen to the primary one?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Google wont do anything or care

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So, aside from seemingly better budget etc, how do you goons rate dai gyaktuen in terms of characters, story and cases?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm in the middle of case 5. Here are some random thoughts about it

- The translators did an absolutely fantastic job. It's indistinguishable from a real capcom localization to me
- The game has definitely set up more than it can resolve in the remainder of case 5. I don't know any spoilers about the second one but a frustrating cliffhanger / lotsa characters who don't really serve their purpose until the second game seem in the offing. Therefore it seems reasonable to wait for the second game to be done if that would bother you
- Two of the cases are twists on the formula and feel short to me as a consequence. I don't think they actually are that much shorter, but they feel that way. This makes the characters feel a little thin on the ground story-wise to me
- The game's new gimmick mechanic, the great deductions, are fun in theory but kind of kill the pacing in practice. A lot of hammering through superfluous nonsense guesses, and you have to go through all of it twice each time
- Despite all above complaints it's great. I'm not a case coneisseur but as someone who's played all these games over the years I like this one, with the potential for it to be really improved by the context of the second one when it comes out. All the main chars are good, even the ones who seem initially like their quirks might get annoying
- Susato is extremely powerful

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

- The game has definitely set up more than it can resolve in the remainder of case 5. I don't know any spoilers about the second one but a frustrating cliffhanger / lotsa characters who don't really serve their purpose until the second game seem in the offing. Therefore it seems reasonable to wait for the second game to be done if that would bother you

As long as the fan-translators are working on it, I don't mind waiting for the sequel.

I'm extremely excited since it looks to me I could like Susato and Iris very much, so I wanted to know if I should control my hype. I'm buying it as soon as I finish this other game I'm playing (also because it looks like the ace attorney fandom has bought every 3000 yen card around).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been four days since the Gramarye guy died and his apprentice still hasn't gone on trial. He's being defended by Gavin, right? Guess he couldn't manage Phoenix Wright.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ugh, I hate that the media is trying to spin this. That magician group is wholesome and Gavin will prove that not everyone who's famous has receipts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This red guy in the Gramarye Troupe seems like a huge loving rear end in a top hat, I wonder if he did it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish I had a decent Android tablet to get DGS on. I ain't playing it on a god drat phone.

I'm slowly going back through the trilogy like a decade after my original playthrough. Turnabout Sisters was a lot... crappier than I remember. I get that it's mainly an introduction to the investigation phase but the court phase is incredibly rushed. I was actually glad to see Edgeworth propose a third court day. But eh no I guess we can just blackmail the guy into confessing (in front of the judge) and move on. The game doesn't even bother to linger on the motives or method and just shuffles along to the next case. It's got me worried that my teenage brain thought a lot of the cases in GS1 were more fleshed out and interesting than they actually were...

e: It's also kind of poo poo that Phoenix doesn't get any kind of impressive flourish or reveal that saves the day. He fumbles through the whole thing and would've lost if he wasn't saved by a cheating ghost. As a player I didn't feel like I did much of anything in the case.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 17, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Feels good when Edgeworth attacks his own witness.

One thing I wasn't really expecting the humor/writing in this to be this good. I remember watching Danganronpa's anime and it felt so jarring whenever there was humor because the deaths were all so gruesome(and mainly kids). In Ace Attorney there is murder but the light hearted parts are done so well that you can feel bad but then also laugh at Maya/Gumshoe being a dork.

Also how the heck did no one in court notice that Mia was next to Phoenix Wright when they had just gone through her murder case the last time...Because I thought it was just Nick who could see the different forms but other people also comment on her being different.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

e: It's also kind of poo poo that Phoenix doesn't get any kind of impressive flourish or reveal that saves the day. He fumbles through the whole thing and would've lost if he wasn't saved by a cheating ghost. As a player I didn't feel like I did much of anything in the case.
Phoenix keeps being saved by Mia, or any number of other things, at the last minute of a trial for what feels like half of the cases in the original trilogy. All the way into the third game! All the way into the last case of the third game! There the only reason he solves it himself is because everyone suddenly agrees that this is something Phoenix has to do for himself. It's one of my most disliked things about the series and I'm glad it's been replaced by the attorney themselves having an epiphany.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Meallan posted:

As long as the fan-translators are working on it, I don't mind waiting for the sequel.

For what it's worth, it sounds like the most time-consuming part for them was figuring out the tech side of putting new text and graphics in there so the sequel probably won't take as long as the first one did

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Phoenix keeps being saved by Mia, or any number of other things, at the last minute of a trial for what feels like half of the cases in the original trilogy. All the way into the third game! All the way into the last case of the third game! There the only reason he solves it himself is because everyone suddenly agrees that this is something Phoenix has to do for himself. It's one of my most disliked things about the series and I'm glad it's been replaced by the attorney themselves having an epiphany.

PW no longer needing the ghost of his near-infallible super-genius mentor to bail him out constantly is the best part of the post-original trilogy stuff.

Mia saving him in Turnabout Sisters was kind of ok in that she at least gets to help avenge her own murder, but after that she should have maybe showed up to give Nick some encouragement maybe but not actually point out evidence or solve the case for him. Most of the 3rd game felt like it was more about Mia than PW even.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mia possessing Maya so she can use her bazookas so an old man stops being an rear end before peacing out is the best part of the 3rd game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

PW no longer needing the ghost of his near-infallible super-genius mentor to bail him out constantly is the best part of the post-original trilogy stuff.

Mia saving him in Turnabout Sisters was kind of ok in that she at least gets to help avenge her own murder, but after that she should have maybe showed up to give Nick some encouragement maybe but not actually point out evidence or solve the case for him. Most of the 3rd game felt like it was more about Mia than PW even.

Phoenix was a total rookie who pulled everything out of his rear end left and right, and a big part of his progression in the first game was not needing her anymore. There's a disconnect there from Phoenix the character vs. Phoenix the cipher for the player, who doesn't really want to get spoonfed everything, but it makes the point where Phoenix is left entirely on his own and thinks up the exact situation flip to finally take down Von Karma pretty strong. Having the image of Mia there ultimately results in the same thing from the player perspective (more spoonfeeding of the answer) but it's Phoenix thinking of what Mia might say to him rather than her coming out of nowhere to save his rear end. From a story perspective it reflects that her spirit's still with him through what she taught him, but he's able to stand on his own at that point.

The problem is that the second game feels like it resets a lot of that and spins it's wheels up until the final case (although the second case is important later). In the final case she's basically just co-counsel as much as anything and useful as a two-way radio but she doesn't have all the answers and can only suggest a couple of ways Phoenix can get out the poo poo situation he's stuck in.

The third game is as much Mia's game as it is Phoenix's, she's the playable character for 2 of the 5 cases and it's her mortal enemy that takes up 3 of those cases. I think the problem is that all the Fey bullshit ultimately isn't that compelling, although it sure resulted in a good final case.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 17, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have to be mostly thinking of case 3-2 where, despite everything that's happened so far and the cases Nick has actually solved, on his own, the resolution is still Mia coming in with the last minute hot tip. That was so unnecessary.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also it is weird that people treat Nick like a rookie despite him beating like the best prosecutor in his first few cases. The old judge always throws shade at Nick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

Also it is weird that people treat Nick like a rookie despite him beating like the best prosecutor in his first few cases. The old judge always throws shade at Nick.

Nick must always be the butt monkey and the underdog forever so the player can identify with him. And to be fair he pulls some frankly outrageous bullshit out of his rear end in every case, I can't blame the judge for being exasperated.

Amppelix posted:

I have to be mostly thinking of case 3-2 where, despite everything that's happened so far and the cases Nick has actually solved, on his own, the resolution is still Mia coming in with the last minute hot tip. That was so unnecessary.

I think that was to establish the Godot connection early more than anything.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zerilan posted:

Most of the 3rd game felt like it was more about Mia than PW even.

I mean Phoenix didn't get a game about him until Apollo Justice.

The first game is about Edgeworth, the second is about Maya and the third is about Mia.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The second game is a lot more about what being a defense attorney means to Phoenix then anything about Maya. If anything Maya is a plot device for him to realize all that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think you will find that every game is about edgeworth, and phoenix wright's love, and pointing at each other in freudian metaphor

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nick as the mentor has been a strong arc, conversely

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Steve2911 posted:

I wish I had a decent Android tablet to get DGS on. I ain't playing it on a god drat phone.

I'm slowly going back through the trilogy like a decade after my original playthrough. Turnabout Sisters was a lot... crappier than I remember. I get that it's mainly an introduction to the investigation phase but the court phase is incredibly rushed. I was actually glad to see Edgeworth propose a third court day. But eh no I guess we can just blackmail the guy into confessing (in front of the judge) and move on. The game doesn't even bother to linger on the motives or method and just shuffles along to the next case. It's got me worried that my teenage brain thought a lot of the cases in GS1 were more fleshed out and interesting than they actually were...

I think I heard somewhere that Case 2 was the first case they wrote for the series. The actual Case 1 was added later because they needed a tutorial to ease players into the game mechanics.

This might explain why it might feel a bit rough in places.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i think you will find that every game is about edgeworth, and phoenix wright's love, and pointing at each other in freudian metaphor

and don't forgetting slamming their desks for no reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

That's a euphemism for extremely rough sex, which is why Phoenix and Edgeworth do it back and forth in Case 2

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ulio posted:

I have never found a more appropriate reason to post this legendary video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDFpT1MtUt8

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm replaying the first game in the new re-release for the first time since it came out in English. As a kid, I definitely remember really enjoying the second case (Turnabout Sisters) and not being very interested in the third one (Turnabout Samurai) and thinking it dragged on too long, but I've flip-flopped now that I'm older. Samurai's investigation phase does kinda suck in the second day when you're just criss-crossing the film studio waiting for the next NPC event to trigger, but the court scenes are a lot twistier and more exciting, especially the day two court scene at the end when you prove the Victim was actually the one in the costume the suspect was presumed to be wearing at the time of the murder. It felt like the case could basically go anywhere from there.

The second case was still good, but it was more straightforward and it's not as fun facing off against Edgeworth when he's cheating and under someone else's thumb.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Carlosologist posted:

Nick as the mentor has been a strong arc, conversely

I loved how they used him as an opponent (for the first half) and assistant (for the second half) in the final chapter in Spirit of Justice. That was dope!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want more english ace attormey you sick fucks at capcom. Six seasons and two* spinoffs in english arent enough.

*Harvey Birdman rules so Im counting it

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 18, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was Layton x AA actually worth playing if you give no fucks about Layton or his nonsense?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it's more Phoenix Wright if you're desperate but the Layton stuff really drags the whole thing down since it's basically a Layton game also featuring Phoenix towards the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

Was Layton x AA actually worth playing if you give no fucks about Layton or his nonsense?
As someone who equally gives no fucks about Layton and his nonsense I thought the game was terrible and wish I hadn't played it.

Look up the Turnabout Sisters remix it has and call it a day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nate RFB posted:

As someone who equally gives no fucks about Layton and his nonsense I thought the game was terrible and wish I hadn't played it.

Look up the Turnabout Sisters remix it has and call it a day.

Good to know. I'm a bit surprised by that though since Shu is listed as a codirector.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They were presumably hamstrung by Layton being the more popular and marketable property.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the game well enough and the courtroom mechanics are interesting enough that I wish they'd reuse them for a mainstream AA game - but the story is definitely more skewed towards Layton stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not only does Layton bullshit run wild everywhere, seriously the end of the game is like an hour long uninterupted cutscene to painstakingly explain the games mysteries, but it has a severe BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner issue where one guys power is "Good at lawyering" and the other guys power is "Infalliably correct about everything".

The court mechanic was neat and it showed you could make a kickass phoenix wright game in a fantasy setting where you have to learn the rules of the world as you play instead of being stuck in a "realistic" world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Good music, though, really.