Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

but what should I be doing other than mowing?

You should utilize the lawn for barbecues and cocktails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Yeah dude. Just pay someone to deal with it. It’s not an effective use of your time.

I may be risking my goon card for saying this but I think it's better to go outside and mow the lawn yourself, because it's good to go do physical things outside. Spend an hour less that week on the forums and do yard work instead.

e: To answer the OP's question, if you already have an established sprinkler system then buy a mower (I like corded electric but gas is fine, especially if you already have other gas tools, likewise a lot of battery systems let you run a lot of tools off of a common set of batteries) and a weed eater and go mow your lawn. Occasionally you should fertilize. Occasionally you may need to buy grass seed if you have balding spots. But the more correct answer is to turn your front yard into an elaborate garden that doesn't require mowing

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 17, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like taking care of my lawn and it only takes an hour or so every week.

My current toolset is:
EGO 21" mower with high lift blade
EGO string trimmer
EGO bush trimmer
Toro corded electric leaf blower/vacuum
Scott's small broadcast spreader
Fiskars weed puller
Fiskars pruning shears
Fiskars loppers
Like 5 hoses
3 different sprinkler sprayers
A bottle of round up
A plastic insert for yard bags to help with dumping bagged clippings

Soon to be added:
Mantis 2-stroke tiller/aerator/dethatcher/edger
Lawn levelling rake

I alternate mowing/edging each week on the front and back yard and do misc tasks whenever. The spreader is really important to get down fertilizer, bug killer, and grass seed for overseeding.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 17, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I edge every week :heysexy:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I may be risking my goon card for saying this but I think it's better to go outside and mow the lawn yourself, because it's good to go do physical things outside. Spend an hour less that week on the forums and do yard work instead.

I'll second this answer. If you're old, disabled, or have super-bad allergies or something, do what you have to do, but I'm not seeing the downside to a little physical work in the sun once a week if you're young and healthy. Bonus, you can also listen to podcasts while you work.

I have a little over an acre of grass (and some woods), and I only spend max 2 hours a week: 45m-1hr to mow with the riding mower, 10-20m to weed wack the edges, and maybe 10-30m for misc cleanup (pulling weeds, blowing crap off of porch/garage, picking up sticks, etc.) There are a few more involved projects -- last weekend I laid 5 cu/yd of mulch, also fall leaf cleanup -- but those are only once or twice a year, and there's very little to do during the Winter.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jealous Cow posted:

I edge every week :heysexy:

drat right, have pride in your work.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

QuarkJets posted:

I would normally agree with you, as I too do my own yard work, but for RE my advice is different.

If he really wants to do it himself more power to him, but I’m assuming his free time is extremely valuable and paying someone to get 2 hours of free time on the weekends is probably very much worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Hire someone. It's like a housekeeper but outside. We have 0.015 acres of grass (and like triple that in yard, the rest is California native plants) and we hire it out.

skipdogg posted:

Yeah dude. Just pay someone to deal with it. It’s not an effective use of your time.

Potrzebie posted:

You should utilize the lawn for barbecues and cocktails.

Yeah, I'm considering this, but part of me thinks I should at least get a mower just in case. My lawn isn't huge, and it would take 20-30 minutes max to mow. I haven't priced out lawn services yet, but what I really need is some high school kid.

Are old Honda mowers good/reliable? Any models to watch out for on craigslist?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

what I really need is some high school kid.

Good luck with that. The high school kids are too busy shitposting on forums and playing video games. You'd have to get lucky and have an industrious kid within walking distance of your house, because once you start throwing in transportation and everything else, you're not going to be saving much over the single-man company that does it professionally.

Since you live in a somewhat-HCOL area, plan on at least $40/cut, which would be weekly during the Spring/Summer. If you find someone cheaper than that (i.e. under pricing the job), they'll probably be unreliable and leave you hanging at some point.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I live up 476 a ways, and yeah, it's $40-$50 a cut in this region. My neighbor has been trying for years to get a high school kid in our area to cut it, and they won't bother.

I bought the Dewalt 40v mower, and it's okay. Our prior owners pampered the poo poo out of the lawn, and it looks nice, but jfc what a bitch to mow. I think I'm buying a gas mower this year. I have a quarter acre less the house, some trees, and a play set, and 15ah of battery isn't enough to do it in one go, unless I mow three times per week. :(

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I'm considering this, but part of me thinks I should at least get a mower just in case. My lawn isn't huge, and it would take 20-30 minutes max to mow. I haven't priced out lawn services yet, but what I really need is some high school kid.

Are old Honda mowers good/reliable? Any models to watch out for on craigslist?

If you hire a service then owning a mower is superfluous. If you play local hooligan roulette then it's required. We gave our electric mower away to a friend.

We pay $65/month for 2 cut-and-blows a month give or take. They do all the edging and general hedge trimming / cleanup. It's done by several guys who don't speak English and isn't reliable at all for other things. (Their boss does somewhat.) We're looking for a replacement now where we can give them extra money on demand for extra work. It took 6 months of half-assed pestering to have them sell us a pickup truck of mulch for the front yard.

If you want to spend time outside in the sun working then plant more stuff. Based on your original post though it really read to me as "how do I win the war on dandelions my neighbors are starting to stare" not "gee I love mowing the lawn."

Want to do it yourself check out this effort post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=71&perpage=40#post494292715

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

If you hire a service then owning a mower is superfluous. If you play local hooligan roulette then it's required. We gave our electric mower away to a friend.

We pay $65/month for 2 cut-and-blows a month give or take. They do all the edging and general hedge trimming / cleanup. It's done by several guys who don't speak English and isn't reliable at all for other things. (Their boss does somewhat.) We're looking for a replacement now where we can give them extra money on demand for extra work. It took 6 months of half-assed pestering to have them sell us a pickup truck of mulch for the front yard.

If you want to spend time outside in the sun working then plant more stuff. Based on your original post though it really read to me as "how do I win the war on dandelions my neighbors are starting to stare" not "gee I love mowing the lawn."

Want to do it yourself check out this effort post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=71&perpage=40#post494292715

65/month seems super reasonable for that to be honest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was paying 35 every 2 weeks for a standard cut/trim/blow and at the time it was definitely worth it.

I'm not familiar with northern grasses, the aroundtheyard forums are decent for learning about taking care of the grass.

I'm a big fan of electric or battery powered equipment if it works for you. I hate dealing with small engines. I picked up some 60V battery powered equipment to replace my corded electric equipment and have been very happy. I only have a small residential lot to take care of though (maybe 4500 sq ft of grass), so I can mow the entire thing in about 30 minutes on a single 4ah battery.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah that's about what our lot is size wise, so I was looking at battery mowers.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I hear the Kobalt and the Ego mowers are good.

I just bought the 80v Kobalt blower and trimmer, they work really well... wish I had done it sooner, but we bought a cheap trimmer/blower set when we moved in and it lasted 3 years until it the battery died so I figured it was time to upgrade.

I say that because the Kobalt 80V system works on their mower too, as does Ego's equivalent battery system. So if you're going to get a battery mower, you should look in to the other lawn tools in the battery's ecosystem as well. Kind of limits you a bit, but the alternative is having a pile of different battery systems to maintain. You WILL need a string trimmer, and a blower seems dumb but they're actually very nice to have.

That said, I have a nice Honda gas mower for my 0.20 acre lot, but I bought it a couple years ago when I wasn't really sold on electric mowers yet. I wasn't about to get a corded mower, and battery technology wasn't quite there I don't think. The mower will last forever and will have some resale value should I ever decide to go electric.

I absolutely refuse to get anything 2-stroke because I don't want to have to keep a separate gas supply. But for anything less than 0.25 acre, you shouldn't need gas tools except maybe the lawn mower.

I don't mind doing minor lawn work like mowing and trimming, but "landscaping" is something I hate. Our house still has the original (1999) contractor grade shrubs for foundation cover, so they're all wildly overgrown. You have to hack at them at least twice a year to keep them in check, and even then they still grow like crazy and get ugly real quick. Ripping them out is on our to-do list, but sadly it's pretty far down there... plus the HOA is really bitchy about it, they send out yearly reminders around this time that all landscaping changes need to be approved by the architectural committee :rolleyes:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Droo posted:

If I were you I would cut enough drywall out to put a proper electrical box in there, and splice the wires together inside the box. You can then put a solid cover on it. Not much more work than what you were planning, it would satisfy code as far as I know, and your outlet would still work.

I ended up doing this and everything is working now. One more hole to patch in the wall but hey I'll just consider it practice. Looks like my drywall is 3/4" which is apparently really unusual so I'll have to get creative with the patching. Current plan is to just use joint compound to make a 5/8" section a little thicker.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Mowing is my zen, I look forward to the weekly yardtime

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I wish all I had to deal with was mowing. But I have an uphill battle in front of me with my yard. When I was under contract last summer the sellers stopped taking care of anything in the already lovely yard. This was also monsoon season so when I moved in it was completely overgrown weeds.

If I could till and just tear everything up that would be ideal, but you can't do that in the desert so it's just a lot of work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really enjoyed mowing at first, but after I ran over a yellow jacket nest and got stung about 13 times I decided to hire it out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bought a bench vise and file today to sharpen the lawnmower blade. People charge for that? It took me 5 minutes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fallom posted:

People charge for that? It took me 5 minutes.

New thread title material

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fallom posted:

Bought a bench vise and file today to sharpen the lawnmower blade. People charge for that? It took me 5 minutes.

I love free bench vises and files.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I love free bench vises and files.

Bring your sling blade by and I'll do it for $50

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only have a kaiser blade.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fallom posted:

Pssh, I just buy new ones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lawns are evil. I say this as a lawn owner, but my lawn seasonally-alive patch of mostly weeds that I mow when necessary's days are numbered.

Tear it out and replace it with native plants. They'll be appropriately adapted to your climate, easier to maintain, vastly less wasteful, and will attract native insects and birds.

Lawns are bad: https://permaculturenews.org/2016/06/03/why-our-lawns-are-bad-for-the-environment-and-how-to-change-them-for-the-better/
Justifying a lawn based on having kids is silly. Here's a case against lawns, written by the McMansion Hell lady: https://www.curbed.com/2019/3/13/18262285/mcmansion-hell-kate-wagner-lawn-care-mowing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absolutely get rid of your lawn if you can

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bought a mower. Over under on time until we get a lawn service?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've never owned a new gas mower in my life, buy that poo poo used usually a broken mower just needs new spark plugs and a bit of seafoam run though the engine.

I also have an old fashioned manual mower that I like using but lately I forget to mow as often as I should and it won't work when the grass is too long.

I'd like to just landscape away half the grass in the yard but that's not something I have motivation for currently

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Bought a mower. Over under on time until we get a lawn service?

45 days past the third time you mow.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

Is there a medical reason you're using Potassium Chloride instead of Salt in the water softener? Potassium is like 30 bucks a bag. Salt is 5 or 6. The only people I know that use Potassium are old people on severely salt restricted diets. Even then it's cheaper to just use bottled water for cooking, or buy an RO system, instead of putting Potassium through a water softener.

Without knowing what kind of water softener you have and how it works, we can't offer any advice.

Do any of these look familiar? https://www.softenerparts.com/Identify_Brand_of_Control_Valve_s/21.htm

The tanks are not important. The control valve is where everything important happens. A name, model number, something like that would be useful.

Something is causing the softener to regenerate more than necessary and probably for longer, my guess is something is broken on the control valve.

Our system looks like this one: link to tank picture although I'm not 100% sure it's the same model, it looks exactly alike from what I can tell. The control valve at the top is a Performa HE and when I googled it I found this PDF (link to instruction manual) which has a diagram on the KS15HE on page 14 which looks like the front of mine.

I went through the menu and recorded the results, which are making me wonder if this is my leak because the time is two hours ahead (it showed 9am when it was actually 7am). The regen is set to factory default of 2am and hardness at default of 16. The salt amount said 1064 and I didn't see how to get to the salt amount setting (the manual says you dont have to gently caress with the salt amount). So this thing is starting (maybe) at midnight and not 2am because the clock is off, and the city says I'm blasting through water between 2 and 3am. The tank is maybe 20-25 gallons.

edit: I forgot about the bypass switch on the valve, I could use that and unplug it overnight to see if the city records a difference. I sure hope their "smart" meter isn't hosed or I'm chasing shadows.

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 18, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That looks like a demand based regeneration softener. It by default should regenerate every 15 days, or when it calculates you'll run out of soft water

If it was regenerating every day you'd be blasting through potassium as well. 15 to 25 pounds a day. Looking at the manual, a regen cycle is probably using about 100 gallons of water, which is pretty normal.

I'd say the water softener is probably not your issue. If you can look at your water meter, go back the last 15 days and look for about 100 gallons of usage at midnight or so, which would help confirm it.

If you're using 200 to 300 gallons every night, that's probably something else.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Mizaq posted:

I sure hope their "smart" meter isn't hosed or I'm chasing shadows.

Landscape irrigation system? Crazy neighbor using a hose? City "smart" meter applying the full day of water use to just that 1 hour block?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for you fine folks. I have an attached garage with a drywall fire barrier but the other 3 walls were unfinished. I could be maximally safe and put up drywall but putting plywood in would make tool storage/wear and tear a ton easier. Building code says walls adjacent to the living space must be drywall so I should be okay, no?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I have a bunch of solid oak flooring left over from doing... my floors.

I was thinking about nailing it up to the walls in my brewing area so it doesn't look so skanky in the garage. Any reason why I couldn't?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's worth keeping some flooring around in case you need to replace any of the floor you just installed. But I don't think you'd want to keep more than a box for that purpose.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Will definitely do that. I'm not sure how to attach it to the walls though, there's no way nails into the drywall will work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You'd have to either provide a backing board (or furring strips) that's nailed to the studs, or nail the flooring itself directly to studs. Probably the former, because the latter means that every floorboard needs to touch at least two studs and I don't think most floorboards are long enough for that.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I could be wrong, but it just seems like there would be a lot of weight sitting on the bottom sections of wood by the time you got to the ceiling. I'm not sure those little flooring nails would hold up to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's a garage, just use screws right through the face of the flooring into the studs. Space them aesthetically.

Other guy on plywood in the garage, call up the local building department and ask. I like your style though, having fully nailable surfaces on all walls is awesome for a utility space.