Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's come up before, but the specific issue is this; Several Battlemech designs have the classification of "Unseen" because they were anime mecha that FASA thought they had licensed properly but basically got lied to and the license wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. If anyone so much as looks at those designs in their original forms (Mechwarrior Online getting around it with big model redesigns), Harmony Gold will drive a lawsuit up their asses.

The problem with the Mechwarrior games in that regard is that MW1 is 3/4's Unseen Battlemechs, and MW2 also has a few of them. MW3 doesn't have Unseen Battlemechs, but does have its own issues in that the licensing and ownership is probably about as complicated as NoLF's. MW4 and its expansions... are actually clean of Unseen Battlemechs, and the licensing's pretty straightforward as well as far as anyone can tell

You left out the part where Harmony Gold actually doesn't have the rights to the Unseen but good luck convincing them of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It continues to make me sad that MW3 is likely never going to be seen again. I know it’s probably nowhere near as good as I think but I remember liking its campaign as this relatively small self-contained thing with a small helping of “mission continuity” since your mechs, weapons, ammo, and how many of those repair vehicles you had left carried over mission to mission. Also the briefing guy is in like top 10 of video game briefing guys, right alongside Fleet Intelligence from Homeworld.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MW4 and it's expansions licensing is kinda convoluted strictly due to Jordan Weisman's habit of spinning up new companies/selling the old companies the minute he meets someone new. Smith & Tinker was the last Weisman owned company that had clear claim to the MechWarrior 4 IP rights, but Smith & Tinker shutdown back in 2012....and only Weisman's overworked incorporation lawyer knows what/where/who owns those IP rights now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

MW4 and it's expansions licensing is kinda convoluted strictly due to Jordan Weisman's habit of spinning up new companies/selling the old companies the minute he meets someone new. Smith & Tinker was the last Weisman owned company that had clear claim to the MechWarrior 4 IP rights, but Smith & Tinker shutdown back in 2012....and only Weisman's overworked incorporation lawyer knows what/where/who owns those IP rights now.

Really? drat. I'd heard FASA and/or Microsoft had it so it was clear-cut.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Angry_Ed posted:

You left out the part where Harmony Gold actually doesn't have the rights to the Unseen but good luck convincing them of that.

Iirc HBS, the guys responsible for Battletech, took Harmony Gold to court and the case was thrown out because of that. Can't remember the exact details but I think I remember the throwing out was with specific conditions that HG couldn't countersue or appeal on account of them not actually having rights.

But I could be wrong, the moral of the story is if you have as much money as Activision, take HG to court because they'll likely win and will then make all that money back from all the people buying the games on GOG or Steam

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chaosapiant posted:

I'm still miffed that the MechWarrior seriesCommander isn't up there yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm still miffed that the MechWarrior seriesCommander isn't up there yet.

I like MechCommander as well and would like to see it on GOG, but I still have a disc copy of MC2.

I'd also like to see the second Pool of Radiance game, but I'm definitely in the minority on that. I also have that on disc, but it's a pain in the sphincter to install.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Wasn't Pool of Radiance the game that had a bug that wiped your entire hard disk every time you tried to uninstall it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Angry Lobster posted:

Wasn't Pool of Radiance the game that had a bug that wiped your entire hard disk every time you tried to uninstall it?

That's the 2001 remake, subtitled Ruins of Myth Drannor, not the original goldbox game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

That's the 2001 remake, subtitled Ruins of My Hard-drive, not the original goldbox game.

I did a funny

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

That's the 2001 remake, subtitled Ruins of Myth Drannor, not the original goldbox game.
JustJeff88 said "the second Pool of Radiance game" and Curse of The Azure Bonds, the goldbox sequel, is on GOG, so he probably did mean Ruins of Myth Drannor.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

JustJeff88 said "the second Pool of Radiance game" and Curse of The Azure Bonds, the goldbox sequel, is on GOG, so he probably did mean Ruins of Myth Drannor.

I did, I just couldn't be arsed to type Ruins of Myth Drannor like I just did. They fixed that quickly and patched a bunch of other things, but installing the game from disc (I do have an optical drive), adding the official patches and then incorporating a speed-up patch is clumsy and I would gladly part with :10bux: to be spared that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm going to mail all of my nerdy rivals copies of the hard drive formatting game

E: gently caress there's no way they have CD drives...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I just want the Myth games already. Not so much 3 but Soulblighter was my jam

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had seen the Myth series in bargain bins 15 years agone and pretty much ignored it as generic fantasy. Then I listened to the Three Moves Ahead podcast on it and it sounds like I missed something drat special and weird for it’s time. I still have that episode in a random list of stuff I listen to when I sleep and I occasionally awaken to descriptions of the plot and mechanics of a game I’ll never play. Stuff like that sustains the otherworldly nature of dreams and helps me go back to sleep instead of the other horrible things that my mind would rather focus on. Welp, that’s my Myth story.

E: Personally I’d really like to see stuff from Carr Software show up on GOG. That and Rise of Nations, which is already on Steam and all, but I want it on GOG.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 12, 2019

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

JustJeff88 posted:

I like MechCommander as well and would like to see it on GOG, but I still have a disc copy of MC2.

Oh, I see, FYGM, is that it?? :11tea:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Until GOG gets MechCommander, the semi-opensourced mod MechCommander Gold: Darkest Hours v3.0 is legit and works/installs with minimal issues on modern 64bit systems. IE, Had to enable DirectPlay under Windows 10. MechCommander Omnitech kinda works if you want/need a MechCommander 2 fix, but the default campaign bundled with MCO it is tweaked for ultra-hardcore difficulty by default.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If I were being FYGM, I would have said "I don't care if it comes to GOG, peasants, I already have a copy!" and then laughed in a sociopathic and maniacal way... then I would go and kick a poor person in the head as that's what I assume libertarians do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Aces High posted:

Iirc HBS, the guys responsible for Battletech, took Harmony Gold to court and the case was thrown out because of that. Can't remember the exact details but I think I remember the throwing out was with specific conditions that HG couldn't countersue or appeal on account of them not actually having rights.

But I could be wrong, the moral of the story is if you have as much money as Activision, take HG to court because they'll likely win and will then make all that money back from all the people buying the games on GOG or Steam

That's not what happened. HG sued Pirhana and HBS. HBS was dropped pretty early, don't remember details, but the case was really HG vs PGI. It was settled and dismissed with prejudice - the terms are not public (aka we don't know if PGI paid HG off or if HG made the offer to save face or whatever) but we do know PGI can continue to use their unseen models, and dismissal with prejudice means HG can't bring this specific case to a judge again, but no ruling was made on whether they own the rights they claim to or not.

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-and-piranha-games-lawsuit-has-been-resolved/ has some details

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 12, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

doctorfrog posted:

E: Personally I’d really like to see stuff from Carr Software show up on GOG. That and Rise of Nations, which is already on Steam and all, but I want it on GOG.

Ooh, Capture The Flag! Definitely one of my highlights of the shareware CD-ROM era.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

doctorfrog posted:

I had seen the Myth series in bargain bins 15 years agone and pretty much ignored it as generic fantasy. Then I listened to the Three Moves Ahead podcast on it and it sounds like I missed something drat special and weird for it’s time. I still have that episode in a random list of stuff I listen to when I sleep and I occasionally awaken to descriptions of the plot and mechanics of a game I’ll never play. Stuff like that sustains the otherworldly nature of dreams and helps me go back to sleep instead of the other horrible things that my mind would rather focus on. Welp, that’s my Myth story.

Myth was really great at the time. I played the first two a lot multiplayer and it was one of the first RTS's I played where unit formation, strategy and tactics were extremely important. It was a precursor to the Total War lineage of games, but on a smaller scale. Also you couldn't build any units, so keeping your veterans alive from mission to mission would make a world of difference. The story was told from the perspective of one of the soldiers you are fielding too, which gave it a warhammery kind of hopelessness to the entire campaign. The mod community came out with some very creative pieces of work too, including a Vietnam war total conversion that was later added to retail versions. I would buy the first two again in a heartbeat. I never got to play the third one, the "Wolf Age." Some people said it was a worthy successor, and others said it was kinda poo poo both gameplay and story.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pretty sure Myth the Fallen Lords is abandonware you can find around online at this point. IIRC the rights to the game are a tangled snarl lost to the mists of time so I don't even know who GOG would approach to release it.

Edit: and apparently you can get the discs for the first two games on Amazon for twenty bucks, though I doubt that includes the manuals, which are manuals from the good ol' days when the developers filled them with art and lore.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 12, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're a Myth fan and haven't read Glen Cook's Black Company books, you need to correct that mistake stat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Pretty sure Myth the Fallen Lords is abandonware you can find around online at this point. IIRC the rights to the game are a tangled snarl lost to the mists of time so I don't even know who GOG would approach to release it.
Take-Two own the Myth series.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Casualties...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Psion posted:

That's not what happened. HG sued Pirhana and HBS. HBS was dropped pretty early, don't remember details, but the case was really HG vs PGI. It was settled and dismissed with prejudice - the terms are not public (aka we don't know if PGI paid HG off or if HG made the offer to save face or whatever) but we do know PGI can continue to use their unseen models, and dismissal with prejudice means HG can't bring this specific case to a judge again, but no ruling was made on whether they own the rights they claim to or not.

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-and-piranha-games-lawsuit-has-been-resolved/ has some details

Still seems like something Activision could win and the money they would get from people purchasing even just one of the MW games they could release would make it worthwhile

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Kins posted:

Take-Two own the Myth series.

Weird, I tried to figure out who owned it a few years ago and it seemed up in the air. Maybe they updated the paperwork since then or maybe I'm just dumb.

Ok Take Two give me my digital game I'm tired of using my discs.

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you're a Myth fan and haven't read Glen Cook's Black Company books, you need to correct that mistake stat.

Yeah Myth is basically "Black Company: The Game."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Weird, I tried to figure out who owned it a few years ago and it seemed up in the air. Maybe they updated the paperwork since then or maybe I'm just dumb.

Ok Take Two give me my digital game I'm tired of using my discs.

Yeah Myth is basically "Black Company: The Game."

Until Take Two figures out the "free money" equation, Project Magma exists for serious Myth 1/2 fans.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
As an alternative to MechWarrior, I think the EarthSiege series got released as freeware or something a while back.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Aces High posted:

Still seems like something Activision could win and the money they would get from people purchasing even just one of the MW games they could release would make it worthwhile

not a chance lmao

activision operates on Blizzard and Call of Duty scale properties, they wouldn't make enough from a niche property like MW and doubly so when they know it would result in a lawsuit. Suits are expensive even if you think you're going to win and it's not guaranteed.

Re-releasing diablo is just printing free money targeting a huge franchise fanbase. this isn't either of those things. sucks for us but they're not comparable situations in the slightest. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 13, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

As an alternative to MechWarrior, I think the EarthSiege series got released as freeware or something a while back.
Yep, though they're not the most user-friendly setup - you can grab ISOs of the original game discs from the rights-holder at Tribes Universe.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The Myth games are some of my favorites, but the difficulty is so harsh I remember checking a FAQ to finish a bunch of the first one. That first game really boiled down to being more of a puzzle game for placing units to counter enemies. You can still call that strategy if you want, but it's not to me anymore.

And, yes, I also read all but the most recent Black Company book because of this game.

As for running 1 and 2, both seem to be installed on my computer and running via Project Magma. So GOG might not have a lot of incentive to try and draw in all of the people who use that and ISOs for a 20+ year old franchise (I picked up the Total Codex when it was new-ish).

And Myth 3? I've never finished the first level. The boomerang guys have massacred me so many times I just don't give a poo poo. But watching the blood of my guys pixelate downhill with the new engine tech was cool I guess...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Andrigaar posted:

The Myth games are some of my favorites, but the difficulty is so harsh I remember checking a FAQ to finish a bunch of the first one. That first game really boiled down to being more of a puzzle game for placing units to counter enemies. You can still call that strategy if you want, but it's not to me anymore.

That's my memory of it as well. I remember getting way more into Dark Omen because of that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Psion posted:

not a chance lmao

Re-releasing diablo is just printing free money targeting a huge franchise fanbase. this isn't either of those things. sucks for us but they're not comparable situations in the slightest. :shrug:

Oh, I guess I thought the market for Mechwarrior was larger than in reality, that sucks :(

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Honestly, I'd settle for having the 2 Westwood/Infocom Battletech games on GOG.
Crescent Hawks Inception showed how terrifyingly over-powered light + medium mechs can be, while Crescent Hawks Revenge was a turn-based quasi "Avalon-Hill style commander gives commands to autonomous BattleMech units" game set in the same time period of the Mechwarrior 1/MechWarrior Online games.

Would be amazing if the Mechwarrior games showed up on GOG, however it probably won't happen. Reasons why?
PGI punching down to keep people playing MechWarrior Online + their upcoming MechWarrior 5 game. Harmony Gold + their "lawsuit settlements are a major revenue stream" for us. Complexity of licensing: Every new version of a Mechwarrior game seems to have been made by different companies/developers not mention to different game engines.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 15, 2019

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I love those old Battletech games. I played a ton of Inception and got stuck early on in Revenge. I think I was too young to really grasp the full tactics side of it. I'll give it another go soon, as I picked up an original copy on eBay recently.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hope the floppy disks work for you BadAstronaut.
Boxed version of Revenge is great with it's detailed manual, poster, fold-out reference cards etc. Revenge was also bundled in the Activision Battletech Powerhits collection, which is bare-bones but does contain full working copies of Mechwarrior 1, Crescent Hawks Inception, and of course Crescent Hawks Revenge. Only advice I have for buyers is aim for the CDROM version of Battletech Powerhits.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The floppies are actually what I'm least concerned with given it's so easy to obtain these old games online. Having the manuals etc and playing it with those references was really the only way to get that full experience, so that's what I'm after.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cool. Some people are extreme retro-gaming fanatics, so since you mentioned tracking down boxed copies of old games to play them......shrug.

Oh yeah, GOG has a eastern europe developer sale going on this week. And the Parkan series released on GOG. Haven't bought so many games at once for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Does anyone have any experience with BATTLETECH?

https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_game?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=wishlist_email_alert

Big discount today

Looks like the kind of stuff I like but the mixed reviews on gog are making me wary