Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

anyone mention the new arturia (non-emulation) synth?
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments/overview#en

i've played with it a bit. it's got a VA and a wavetable engine, and the wavetable has some timbre options i haven't seen made as convenient as other plugins. the mod system is p well implemented overall, so even if it's not totally unique, it's definitely user friendly.

e: it's free to use until Jan 10 so if you're interested, you've got some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

anyone mention the new arturia (non-emulation) synth?
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments/overview#en

i've played with it a bit. it's got a VA and a wavetable engine, and the wavetable has some timbre options i haven't seen made as convenient as other plugins. the mod system is p well implemented overall, so even if it's not totally unique, it's definitely user friendly.

e: it's free to use until Jan 10 so if you're interested, you've got some time

It's also half price, from their non-discounted price if you own any Arturia stuff. I have the Keystep.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Has anyone here messed around with RACK 0.6.2c Open-source virtual modular synthesizer?

https://vcvrack.com/

Not sure if it's just duplicating what Reaktor and other modular VSTs do or if it is doing something special.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
VCV Rack I've messed with abit. If you want to run audio through it live and bridged it will demand a rather large audio buffer, at least it did for me, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well.

I have no experience with reaktor or the others you are referring to, but this is a free alternative to the Softtube modular and considering the Mutable modules are digital based you're not really losing anything in translation.
The best part is that the Mutable Instrument modules are all free. I had a fun time running my guitar through the elements copy called "modal synthesizer" in a dry/wet setup. The free core modules are covering most bases, and together with the mutable ones you have a really potent thing for zero dollars.

It's a fun way to get a eurorack experience without going broke, but for practical stuff you will mostly be resampling things out of it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I noticed a bunch of Soundtoys stuff is on sale right now. I was thinking of picking up something since I keep hearing great things about Filterfreak and Decapitator. I mainly kind of make ambient or at least beatless electronica right now, do you think either of these would be worthwhile investments?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I noticed a bunch of Soundtoys stuff is on sale right now. I was thinking of picking up something since I keep hearing great things about Filterfreak and Decapitator. I mainly kind of make ambient or at least beatless electronica right now, do you think either of these would be worthwhile investments?
For what it's worth, I make electronic/ambient stuff, and now that I have Decapitator, I never want to go without it again.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
For what it's worth, it's always worthwhile to get the free or discounted Soundtoys plugins since they give steep discounts on upgrades to the complete bundle

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://reverb.com/software/instruments/reverb/3567-soundtoys-5-effect-rack-arturia-v-collection-6

This thread immediately came to mind for some reason. :thunk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know this is practically bringing this thread back from the brink of death, but does anyone have a guess as to when Iris 2 will possibly be on sale again?

I'm kicking myself for not going in on it when it was $50 in November, and while I'm not quite in the position to pay full price, $50 would be an immediate buy.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

iZotope generally puts things on sale when they have a new version in the works (like the current O8N2 $199 promo) so :rip:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

iZotope generally puts things on sale when they have a new version in the works (like the current O8N2 $199 promo) so :rip:

Or I'll have to wait until black Friday. :shepface:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Decapitator was on sale for 50 bux just now at Soundtoys.

Never bought anything so fast in my life.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oooooh poo poo, so is Crystallizer. gently caress... I don't have a lot of money to throw around for plugins right now, and I really, really want Iris 2 at a discount, whenever that might happen, but daaaaamn, Crystallizer.

:ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

algebra testes posted:

Decapitator was on sale for 50 bux just now at Soundtoys.

Never bought anything so fast in my life.
Once you start using Decap, you're never going to stop! Such a good use of money.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
This certainly overlaps with the synths megathread, but this is the one thread I still follow here. Anyway, I follow Eric Persing on Facebook (i know lol) and he posted the most heart-warming poo poo today.

https://www.facebook.com/ericpersing/posts/10157339793323432?sfnsw=cl

He met Dave Smith and JJ Abrams (a synth nerd and Spectrasonics customer) and they were all fanboying over each other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

This certainly overlaps with the synths megathread, but this is the one thread I still follow here. Anyway, I follow Eric Persing on Facebook (i know lol) and he posted the most heart-warming poo poo today.

He met Dave Smith and JJ Abrams (a synth nerd and Spectrasonics customer) and they were all fanboying over each other.

Abrams is a synth nerd? Neat!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Radiapathy posted:

That's awesome

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is Decapitator that good? All the youtube videos I can find on it are pretty terrible. How does it sound on synths?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oldstench posted:

Is Decapitator that good? All the youtube videos I can find on it are pretty terrible. How does it sound on synths?
It sounds good on everything! Leads, pads, drums, pianos, etc.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So I bought it, but I'm very unhappy I had to install ilok.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oldstench posted:

So I bought it, but I'm very unhappy I had to install ilok.

Maybe it's from previously using the dongle without a choice, but the current iLok is actually not bad at all :shrug:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe it's from previously using the dongle without a choice, but the current iLok is actually not bad at all :shrug:

I don't like having to run 2 background processes at all times sending who-knows-what information somewhere.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I embraced the dongles and have the iLok and eLicenser taking up my only two front USB slots at all times. In the age of machine licenses breaking when you restart your network adapter (looking at you, Waves), they can actually reduce all the pain DRM normally causes. And moving sessions between computers is way easier, plug that poo poo in, everything loads and works*

*) as long as the target computer has the home-phoning drivers installed. still better than doing that per plugin

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Abrams is a synth nerd? Neat!

he wrote the theme music and other short pieces for Alias in Reason iirc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WOW, Reason got a new update (10.3) that massively improved VST performance.

I'm loading up tracks from my last album that maxed out my DSP before & now they're barely using any of it :eyepop: This owns.

They're gonna drive me to work on a new album even sooner with this! Haha

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
bad news

Valhalla just released a delay plugin so I guess we all are out 50 bucks now cos we gotta buy it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

algebra testes posted:

bad news

Valhalla just released a delay plugin so I guess we all are out 50 bucks now cos we gotta buy it.

Been waiting for this since the first tease.

Don't sleep on it. It's the best loving delay I've ever heard.

e: "Delay" doesn't do it justice. It can do reverb, crazy modulation stuff, looping, glitch, whatever. Sean is a genius.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

bad news

but poo poo, it was only 50 bucks

I like that it sort of sounds more coherent than Satin which tends to flange and chorus for me

I don't have ValhallaPlate because I could just not justify another reverb after buying Twangstrom and VVV is permanently welded to my aux sends anyway

"Homestar Bladerunner"

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

algebra testes posted:

bad news

:eyepop:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i63UuzokYBs

What it's doing at 1:40 in Ghost mode is crayyyy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have a feeling that if I pick it up, I'll never, ever, NOT use it in anything I do going forward.

:getin:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Just bought the delay a few hours ago and have been playing around with it a bit. I like it so far

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

How's it do early digital delay sounds? Can you get it artifacty and does it sound lush or sterile in that mode? Curious if you can get it to sound like a primetime or BEL and if it's better than primaltap.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

$50 is the regular price, right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
$50 is the regular price. ValhallaDSP doesn't do discounts though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

$50 is the regular price. ValhallaDSP doesn't do discounts though.

Oh, that's fine. I just didn't know if I should jump on this right now if it's a limited time offer sort of thing. I'm almost finished a contract with a client, so if I can wait until they pay me to get it, then I will. I'm glad I can do that, without worrying that it'll go up to something like $200 next week.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think Sean has ever once changed pricing on anything after release, he's very particular about them always costing the same amount for everyone. But yeah, Valhalla stuff is so loving good that it's on par with any of the big name releases so you can basically think of them all as permanently $50-$250 off depending on what you want to compare them against. Plate is the only one I can't see myself buying eventually, but only because I don't really use plate verb that much to begin with.

Shimmer is loving insane, I use it constantly in sound design work (when it fits, and often when it doesn't and I end up turning down the mix to like .01%). And I also have VVV permanently welded to my auxes. The only plugins I use more are ProQ2 and Decapitator.

Hey on the subject of ubiquitous plugins you use on everything, what's the current hotness in compressors? I feel like I've never really landed on one that sort of works for everything, I've got a stable of about five or six that I pull from for different purposes but honestly my workflow is moving towards a direction where I'd rather have my one EQ, my one Verb, my one Limiter, etc. because I work a whole lot faster if I know a handful of plugins really really well, and it cuts down on pointless noodling. I used to use H-Comp for just about everything but I've ditched Waves for various reasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd rather have my one EQ, my one Verb, my one Limiter, etc. because I work a whole lot faster if I know a handful of plugins really really well, and it cuts down on pointless noodling.

I don't have an answer, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this right here is the best, most productive way to think. It's an excellent goal to have.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey on the subject of ubiquitous plugins you use on everything, what's the current hotness in compressors? I feel like I've never really landed on one that sort of works for everything, I've got a stable of about five or six that I pull from for different purposes but honestly my workflow is moving towards a direction where I'd rather have my one EQ, my one Verb, my one Limiter, etc. because I work a whole lot faster if I know a handful of plugins really really well, and it cuts down on pointless noodling. I used to use H-Comp for just about everything but I've ditched Waves for various reasons.

It's not especially new but I think that TrackComp from DMG Audio is awesome. The "Compassion-lite" mode is a fantastic, easy-to-use digital comp, the SSL G comp mode holds up against everything I've compared it to, the SSL E comp mode is my favourite software version and the 1176 & LA-2A modes both do a good impression of their respective hardware and are great for adding grit/tone/distortion. It's also zero latency. For <$100 regular price it's a serious bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think Sean has ever once changed pricing on anything after release, he's very particular about them always costing the same amount for everyone. But yeah, Valhalla stuff is so loving good that it's on par with any of the big name releases so you can basically think of them all as permanently $50-$250 off depending on what you want to compare them against. Plate is the only one I can't see myself buying eventually, but only because I don't really use plate verb that much to begin with.

Shimmer is loving insane, I use it constantly in sound design work (when it fits, and often when it doesn't and I end up turning down the mix to like .01%). And I also have VVV permanently welded to my auxes. The only plugins I use more are ProQ2 and Decapitator.

I think compressors are one of those effects that you could stand to have a couple go-to's for different purposes. I like having a compressor like Devil-Loc that can add a lot of punch and character, but also use Ableton's Glue Compressor (one of my favorite native effects) or a Bus Compressor on groups to tighten things up.