Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jyppe posted:

You'd be surprised how uninformed people actually are.

Memes have been fully taken in by Finnish boomers and people who generally don't pay attention to politics.

I recommend you look at the stats where Halla-aho was gained votes. Generally areas in Helsinki that have never strongly supported PS, voted for him this time around.

Dismissing everyone who voted for PS as just racist is exactly the mistake democrats made in the US with Trump.

I would also like to ask you specifically: which other party appeals AT ALL to a syrjäytynyt young man?

They are racists. Them being racists doesn't mean that you can't appeal to them with proper leftist politics though so you shouldn't write them off.

(also the Trump comparison isn't that applicable here since almost all Trump voters were just the people who vote republican anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

pigdog posted:

Therefore Finland should accept every last Iraqi ISIS fighter, because afterall Iraq doesn't want them, and they might indeed face death penalty in their homelands.
I can't actually see the issue here. We entertain all kinds of bigoted hihhuli like PS voters anyway, what's a dozen more?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Siivola posted:

I can't actually see the issue here. We entertain all kinds of bigoted hihhuli like PS voters anyway, what's a dozen more?

I see an issue here. Someone who willingly joins ISIS, a cult that has in its doctrine and actively practises sexual slavery, should not be entertained here or anywhere else. If you think this opinion is controversial you are the reason people vote for PS.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Andrast posted:

I don't think it's Iraqi policy to send all ISIS fighters to Finland

True... that's Sweden's policy. The problem remains though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Finland already prosecutes war crimes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I do not care if it can be proven you participated in crimes. If you were a member of ISIS the door has closed. There are millions of refugees who can take your place who didn't join a rape murder cult.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

doverhog posted:

I will not, he is blood.

Lol who cares

I left the church and didn't talk to my mom until she was ready to admit that she didn't actually have any reasonable reason to oppose gay marriage beyond her own completely illogical biases and prejudices which did not otherwise mesh with her progressive viewpoints.

Shaming is the only thing that works.

Jyppe posted:

You'd be surprised how uninformed people actually are.

Memes have been fully taken in by Finnish boomers and people who generally don't pay attention to politics.

I recommend you look at the stats where Halla-aho was gained votes. Generally areas in Helsinki that have never strongly supported PS, voted for him this time around.

Dismissing everyone who voted for PS as just racist is exactly the mistake democrats made in the US with Trump.

I would also like to ask you specifically: which other party appeals AT ALL to a syrjäytynyt young man?

Supporting racism has the same end result as racism. It's morally as objectionable. There is nobody uninformed enough to have missed enough things about PS that would prevent any decent person from voting for them.

And no, dismissing everyone who voted for Trump for any reason is never a mistake. What I said above applies to them a thousand-fold. Anyone who voted for Trump was a 100% A-grade piece of poo poo whose votes you shouldn't even try to attract even if they were available.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 18, 2019

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

olehan kakara hiljaa kun aikuiset keskustelevat

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DarkCrawler posted:

It's because your mom loves you no matter what.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
While PS voters can be fairly characterized as racist, there is quite a bit less difference between PS voters and non-PS voters than tends to be implied when PS voters are called racist. With all of us living in racist society, one cannot draw a clear line of demarcation between racist and non-racist people the same way one can between people who support or oppose policy that is recognized as racist by the public. A whole lot of people are just racist enough to opportunistically support or oppose racist policy depending on what they gain or lose, and a whole lot work hard to mystify what constitutes racist policy in order to produce an appearance of having their cake while eating it as well.

Identifying racism with not producing a convincing appearance of not being racist, and making your core demand that racists work to produce such an appearance is a mistake. The basic reason why it's so blatantly immoral to appear racist is not that society is against racism, but that it would like to pretend that racism is over while still doing all the stuff that reproduces it. And it's also worth asking whether a weak, non-systematic racist who is aware of their racist sentiments has categorically less potential than one who is in denial about it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Lol who cares

I left the church and didn't talk to my mom until she was ready to admit that she didn't actually have any reasonable reason to oppose gay marriage beyond her own completely illogical biases and prejudices which did not otherwise mesh with her progressive viewpoints.

Supporting racism has the same end result as racism. It's morally as objectionable. There is nobody uninformed enough to have missed enough things about PS that would prevent any decent person from voting for them.

And no, dismissing everyone who voted for Trump for any reason is never a mistake. What I said above applies to them a thousand-fold. Anyone who voted for Trump was a 100% A-grade piece of poo poo whose votes you shouldn't even try to attract even if they were available.

taisin nähdä sut eilen kaupassa

uhkasit pidättää hengitystä jos mutsis ei osta sulle jakkimakupalaa

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

uncop posted:

While PS voters can be fairly characterized as racist, there is quite a bit less difference between PS voters and non-PS voters than tends to be implied when PS voters are called racist. With all of us living in racist society, one cannot draw a clear line of demarcation between racist and non-racist people the same way one can between people who support or oppose policy that is recognized as racist by the public. A whole lot of people are just racist enough to opportunistically support or oppose racist policy depending on what they gain or lose, and a whole lot work hard to mystify what constitutes racist policy in order to produce an appearance of having their cake while eating it as well.

Identifying racism with not producing a convincing appearance of not being racist, and making your core demand that racists work to produce such an appearance is a mistake. The basic reason why it's so blatantly immoral to appear racist is not that society is against racism, but that it would like to pretend that racism is over while still doing all the stuff that reproduces it. And it's also worth asking whether a weak, non-systematic racist who is aware of their racist sentiments has categorically less potential than one who is in denial about it.

Yeah even if someone is racist, that doesn't mean that the racism is their primary motivating factor

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

uncop posted:

Niinku Alan Watts sanoo, eniten meidän pitää olla huolissaan niistä, jotka väkisin haluavat pakottaa muut hyvyyden muottiinsa.

Uutisointi tästä aiheesta on ollut hupaisaa. Käytännössä vasemmisto on nostettu tässä tikun nokkaan (myös hesarissa), vaikka tämmöinen toiminta on historiallisesti ollut täysin arkipäiväistä kaikissa puolueissa. Mitäs jos tehtäisiin laki, joka estää ehdokkuuden tämmöiseen merkittävään luottamustehtävään, jos on jo joku toinen merkittävä luottamustehtävä? Kunnanvaltuustossa, eduskunnassa tai europarlamentissa ei pitäisi olla mitään asiaa jos on muita luottamustehtäviä siinä vielä päällä. Eikö koko ajatus edustuksellisessa demokratiassa ole se, että valitaan osa ihmisistä hoitamaan tehtäviä, jotta heillä on aikaa paneutua asioihin ja loput pitää yhteiskunnan arjen pyörimässä? Jos on lusikka kymmenessä sopassa niin miten ehtii maistaa yhtäkään ajatuksen kanssa?

Mutta suora demokratia ei toimi koska kansalaiset eivät paneudu asioihin, joista äänestäisivät.

No joo, vastaushan on että ryhmäkuri tarkoittaa, että millään paneutumisella mihinkään asiaan ei ole käytännössä merkitystä koska kuitenki pitää äänestää kuten puolue käskee tai muuten kaikki paitsi järkevät ihmiset ristiinnaulitsevat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SnowblindFatal posted:

Niinku Alan Watts sanoo, eniten meidän pitää olla huolissaan niistä, jotka väkisin haluavat pakottaa muut hyvyyden muottiinsa.

jep

SnowblindFatal posted:

Uutisointi tästä aiheesta on ollut hupaisaa. Käytännössä vasemmisto on nostettu tässä tikun nokkaan (myös hesarissa), vaikka tämmöinen toiminta on historiallisesti ollut täysin arkipäiväistä kaikissa puolueissa. Mitäs jos tehtäisiin laki, joka estää ehdokkuuden tämmöiseen merkittävään luottamustehtävään, jos on jo joku toinen merkittävä luottamustehtävä? Kunnanvaltuustossa, eduskunnassa tai europarlamentissa ei pitäisi olla mitään asiaa jos on muita luottamustehtäviä siinä vielä päällä. Eikö koko ajatus edustuksellisessa demokratiassa ole se, että valitaan osa ihmisistä hoitamaan tehtäviä, jotta heillä on aikaa paneutua asioihin ja loput pitää yhteiskunnan arjen pyörimässä? Jos on lusikka kymmenessä sopassa niin miten ehtii maistaa yhtäkään ajatuksen kanssa?

Mutta suora demokratia ei toimi koska kansalaiset eivät paneudu asioihin, joista äänestäisivät.

No joo, vastaushan on että ryhmäkuri tarkoittaa, että millään paneutumisella mihinkään asiaan ei ole käytännössä merkitystä koska kuitenki pitää äänestää kuten puolue käskee tai muuten kaikki paitsi järkevät ihmiset ristiinnaulitsevat.

ehdokkuutta ei mielestäni pitäisi estää, mutta uusi luottamustehtävä pitäisi kyllä ottaa vastaan ja vanhasta luopua. ei sillä että uskoisin tälläistä lakia koskaan tulevan

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

doverhog posted:

I do not care if it can be proven you participated in crimes. If you were a member of ISIS the door has closed. There are millions of refugees who can take your place who didn't join a rape murder cult.

The problem here is there are whole families who joined the ISIS bandwagon. And that includes children. Are we to show the door to kids who had no say of their present situation? Or should the state step in and let social services sort it out? That's one reason to bring them back asap, since the longer they're together, the more brainwashed they'll be.

Then there's the legal aspect. By all aspects they are Finnish citizens, who are liable under Finnish law to answer to their crimes. It might be just to let them rot in Syria, but is it justice? How would that sit with the notion of oikeusvaltio?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Minne sitten sun mielestä ne lessut pitäis karkottaa?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pigdog posted:

It's because your mom loves you no matter what.

Yeah, she loves me more then lovely politics. There wouldn't be open Trump or PS voters with decent family members if they didn't let them hold their poo poo opinions and shamed them more. Nobody cares about random vihervassaris judging you unless they are their relatives, friends or others who holds them to account and shames them. If they pick hating the gays or browns over family, let them stew in their own crap circle until they are ready to join polite society. They can still vote for whoever they want but at least they know they can't voice their hate out-loud among people they care about without being ostracized, so that is still a bonus.

Hogge Wild posted:

taisin nähdä sut eilen kaupassa

I'm diabetic.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 18, 2019

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

DarkCrawler posted:

That's a very bold statement, have you seen the amount of disinformation and cherry picked info that's spreading around on the internet? For example regarding the costs caused by refugees.

In order to gain voters, PS doesn't even need to dismiss the idea that PS is bad, you just have to make voters believe that PS is the only one doing anything about "this horrible crisis" and everyone else will just make it worse.

I know finpol likes to dismiss ylilauta, but it is reached by 4 million users every month.

DarkCrawler posted:

First of all, you just called 53.824 million people "100% A-grade piece of poo poo". Did you ever stop to think that maybe at least SOME of these people are poor, misled, uneducated or desperate for some kind of change?

Also, you kind of missed my point. I don't think leftist parties should try to actively attract PS voters or anything like that.

My point is: What happens if your reaction is to just shut these people down, call them a racist and not engage with them?
Won't it just lead to these people hanging out in their own bubble and amplifying those lovely qualities and views? (Exactly what has happened in the States)

It would be also healthy for everyone to admit that all people have racist/prejudiced/sexist/illogical thoughts and people sometimes act according to those impulses. In my opinion it's important to acknowledge these thoughts and then try to change how you think about things.

People are generally dumb as poo poo (Definitely everyone who posts in this thread), they make mistakes, but how many of them are actually deep down racist in their core?

52% of Finns want more restricted immigration: https://www.eva.fi/blog/2019/03/18/suomalaisten-maahanmuuttoasenteet-pehmenevat-mutta-muutos-on-hidas/

Are 52% of Finns racist in your opinion? PS will be the biggest party if this 52% still keeps thinking that immigration is relevant topic and nothing is done about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Raiskaaja hyökkäsi kantasuomalaisen kimppuun kun tämä yritti sanoa asian niin kuin se on

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Then there's the legal aspect. By all aspects they are Finnish citizens, who are liable under Finnish law to answer to their crimes. It might be just to let them rot in Syria, but is it justice? How would that sit with the notion of oikeusvaltio?
EU states can't legally expel their nationals or prohibit them from returning. It's prohibited in the European Convention of Human Rights.

You also can't lose your Finnish citizenship unless you've gained it by fraud, or have a dual citizenship and hosed up the incredibly easy process of proving your connection to Finland before turning 22.

Edit: I'm not sure if they were talking about Finnish ISIS members or foreign refugees though. Migri doesn't seem to give a gently caress about foreign people.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 18, 2019

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Punapersepaviaanihallitus brought down by shitposting

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

disappointed that this wasnt a new lehtilehti artikkeli

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Now Timo Soini of The Blues announced he's not going to run for the European parliament. Is there even a single one running from The Blues? Regardless, this is more or less the end for the splinter party and to their careers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm diabetic.

No sitten äitisi oli ihan oikeessa. :colbert:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jussi Halla-ahon mukaan toimittaja ”sabotoi” perussuomalaisten tiedotustilaisuutta – ”Ei ollut tarvetta tällaista meta-asiaa puida
https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006077292.html?utm_campaign=tf-IS&utm_term=3&utm_source=tf-other

Vittu mitä ruikuttamista, kyllä Mestarin pitäisi yksi toimittaja pystyä puhumaan suohon koska vaan.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

Yes but did they get the jakkimakupala or not?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jyppe posted:

That's a very bold statement, have you seen the amount of disinformation and cherry picked info that's spreading around on the internet? For example regarding the costs caused by refugees.

Disinformation that works on already prejudiced. Not every less educated person votes for PS. Disinformation and propaganda only consumed from the right-wing side has already made you an rear end in a top hat to begin with.

Jyppe posted:

In order to gain voters, PS doesn't even need to dismiss the idea that PS is bad, you just have to make voters believe that PS is the only one doing anything about "this horrible crisis" and everyone else will just make it worse.

If there was a horrible crisis that nobody was doing anything about I would start to wonder A) Why aren't I currently being affected by this horrible crisis and B) Why isn't anyone doing anything about it. even if I had zero education and couldn't read I would at least ask the person who is telling me what the other people think about this most important issue of the times and why.

If you are the type of person who can read, yet only has been reached by one, most extremist side of this debate in Finland you are someone who already possesses the type of traits that make you more susceptible to it before anyone told you anything. And this trait isn't "dumb", it is "dumb and prejudiced". It may not be your fault because of lovely upbringing but there are so many things that are not the fault of someone, yet they are being hosed over by it, that "I am prejudiced" is somewhere around 1937th in the list of changing it for me.

Jyppe posted:

I know finpol likes to dismiss ylilauta, but it is reached by 4 million users every month.

Yeah, and not all of them vote for PS.

Jyppe posted:

First of all, you just called 53.824 million people "100% A-grade piece of poo poo". Did you ever stop to think that maybe at least SOME of these people are poor, misled, uneducated or desperate for some kind of change?

Yeah, none of which are traits which lead you to automatically vote for an obvious piece of complete poo poo like Donald Trump. Those traits combined with being a selfish piece of poo poo certainly do, but by themselves, not.

Literally every person who voted for Donald Trump is a complete and utter waste of human potential who needs to be shamed and pissed on by rest of society until they beg for forgiveness for their horrible actions. Seriously, voting for PS is pretty minor in comparison. Trump makes Halla-Aho look like a completely reasonable choice.

Jyppe posted:

Also, you kind of missed my point. I don't think leftist parties should try to actively attract PS voters or anything like that.

My point is: What happens if your reaction is to just shut these people down, call them a racist and not engage with them?
Won't it just lead to these people hanging out in their own bubble and amplifying those lovely qualities and views? (Exactly what has happened in the States)

Good, they can stay there.

The same thing will happen as to every person who has left the train of progress since the beginning of human history, the train will go on without them. The thing about populist right-wing parties is that they never actually fix any of the problems their constituents have, globalization and legislation both in their countries and internationally has led to retarded isolationism being a working strategy only to North Koreas and Sudans of the world - complete and utter shitholes whose opinions are not taken on account.

Even the ones attempting it in EU (Eastern Europe mostly, Italy) aren't leaving the tit of globalization, which limits the amount of damage they can ultimately do. Damage there is no doubt, but compared to past history? Compared to EU as a whole? Compared to the western world or the entire world as a whole? Peanuts and will ultimately be reversed. They can stay in power only by manipulating elections and the justice system and their people have free movement.

I'm not particularly worried about PS - their party is comprised of and voted by idiots who have just as much a chance of affecting the forces of nature of mankind - human migration, demographic changes, urbanization increasing human connectiveness due to technology, globalization in general - as some dirt-worshipping tribe in the middle of nowhere that hasn't even been contacted by rest of humanity.

I really don't give a poo poo about Pena from Kouvola or whatever becoming a Neo-nazi - he will change or be dragged kicking and screaming behind the train of progress and die as a miserable echo of past times just like every conservative living in time of change has been. And right now, everyone is living in a time of change all the time. Both extreme right and extreme left (don't think I am some both sides the same bullshitter here, communism isn't just realistic any more then fascism) had a quick period of flourishing, an eyeblink by historical measure. They're dead and dying with the occasional pained gasp. The ideologies of the future massacred them.

I am more worried about actual threats like climate change and increasing corporate power, both of which are being driven by actually smart and organized people and a force that has always been much more powerful in the hierarchy of wants then prejudice - greed. Not only can Pena go gently caress himself - but he is even beneath of me worrying about him. Not beneath me hating him, but I also hate fruit flies and I don't think they're going to take over the world or anything.

Only thing I can derive from them is the pleasure of bullying them online whenever they leave their little safe spaces. And - to admit my own failings as a human being - it is immensely pleasurable.

quote:

It would be also healthy for everyone to admit that all people have racist/prejudiced/sexist/illogical thoughts and people sometimes act according to those impulses. In my opinion it's important to acknowledge these thoughts and then try to change how you think about things.

I'll admit that.

quote:

People are generally dumb as poo poo (Definitely everyone who posts in this thread), they make mistakes, but how many of them are actually deep down racist in their core?

Most people who vote for PS. Others just don't care about racism, which makes them as bad.

quote:

52% of Finns want more restricted immigration: https://www.eva.fi/blog/2019/03/18/suomalaisten-maahanmuuttoasenteet-pehmenevat-mutta-muutos-on-hidas/

Are 52% of Finns racist in your opinion? PS will be the biggest party if this 52% still keeps thinking that immigration is relevant topic and nothing is done about it.

"More restricted immigration" is so nebulous that it is meaningless. I don't consider every person who wants more restricted immigration to be racist. They could, for examples, be worried about halpatyövoima regardless of it coming from Viro or Afghanistan.

endlessmonotony posted:

No sitten äitisi oli ihan oikeessa. :colbert:

She's right about most things. Who do you think raised me to be the kind of person to not consider politics "just politics" and tell friends or family to go gently caress themselves over "political differences" when they affect human rights?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 18, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

se ei tienny mistään mitään pelit-lehdessä eikä ole oppinut mitään uutta sen jälkeenkään

paska on paskaa vaikka siinä olisi vihreät propellit

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did Kasvi do something to piss you ukkelit off or something? I used to vote for that guy and he is better than like 90% of the people who actually did get elected.

My brother and I have been arguing about politics for a long time. He used to vote for Cock. Honestly it does make me respect him less, but there are other things about him I do respect. If he were to go on a rant about how Hitler was right I would in fact punch him and sever ties. I do not expect that from him. Like I said, I can see several reasons why someone would vote rear end that don't mean you are Hitler.

He's also not nearly as politically aware as I am, barely follows politics at all really. In fact he asked me which Persu candidate he should vote for, but wasn't open to changing party.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 18, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress you I'll never trust a guy who looks like a City Ninja.

As the saying goes: you can always judge a book by it is cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko866L13Mn4

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

Minne sitten sun mielestä ne lessut pitäis karkottaa?

Comparing Lestadiolaiset to ISIS is the spiciest take in a while. A+

Also severing ties with relatives because of political issues doesn't make you a progressive saint. It just means you never gave the slightest poo poo about them in the first place.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 18, 2019

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Good discussion so far DC!

DarkCrawler posted:

Disinformation that works on already prejudiced. Not every less educated person votes for PS. Disinformation and propaganda only consumed from the right-wing side has already made you an rear end in a top hat to begin with.

I have to disagree. It is definitely possible to set narratives and framing on these issues: e.g how big of an impact refugee crisis or immigration has.
If your bubble is filled with people spreading anti-immigration/refugee stuff it can make you believe that the issue is significant and that something should be done about it.

I'm also not trying to frame this in a way that all PS voters are misinformed, there definitely is a significant portion their voter base who are motivated by this core-racism.

DarkCrawler posted:

If there was a horrible crisis that nobody was doing anything about I would start to wonder A) Why aren't I currently being affected by this horrible crisis and B) Why isn't anyone doing anything about it. even if I had zero education and couldn't read I would at least ask the person who is telling me what the other people think about this most important issue of the times and why.

If you are the type of person who can read, yet only has been reached by one, most extremist side of this debate in Finland you are someone who already possesses the type of traits that make you more susceptible to it before anyone told you anything. And this trait isn't "dumb", it is "dumb and prejudiced". It may not be your fault because of lovely upbringing but there are so many things that are not the fault of someone, yet they are being hosed over by it, that "I am prejudiced" is somewhere around 1937th in the list of changing it for me.

Think about it, where are you on the bell curve? Regarding education, intelligence, interest in politics, information evaluation etc.
What about an average finn? How do they compare?

From what I've seen personally, most people don't actually pay too much attention to politics and it's limited to headlines and memes.

It's also good idea to keep in mind that these people are scared:
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000006018711.html

We should try to think about where this prejudice comes from and in which ways it can be helped. Are they scared and angry because of immigrants, or is it just a convenient place to pour this anger into?

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, and not all of them vote for PS.

They have done strawpolls there, and while I'm quite sure those are at least bit manipulated, they favor VERY heavily PS.

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, none of which are traits which lead you to automatically vote for an obvious piece of complete poo poo like Donald Trump. Those traits combined with being a selfish piece of poo poo certainly do, but by themselves, not.

Literally every person who voted for Donald Trump is a complete and utter waste of human potential who needs to be shamed and pissed on by rest of society until they beg for forgiveness for their horrible actions. Seriously, voting for PS is pretty minor in comparison. Trump makes Halla-Aho look like a completely reasonable choice.

These people get their news from Fox or from local news stations (usually equally bad). I think you are really underestimating the level of brainwashing that happens there. I have American friends who voted for Trump and they are not racist one bit, (they've lived in Finland) but they have been brainwashed p much from childhood to support republicans by their parents, media and culture.

I don't think we should continue this Trump tangent, I don't believe it will lead to anything. You have your views about it and I have mine.

DarkCrawler posted:

Good, they can stay there.

The same thing will happen as to every person who has left the train of progress since the beginning of human history, the train will go on without them. The thing about populist right-wing parties is that they never actually fix any of the problems their constituents have, globalization and legislation both in their countries and internationally has led to retarded isolationism being a working strategy only to North Koreas and Sudans of the world - complete and utter shitholes whose opinions are not taken on account.

Even the ones attempting it in EU (Eastern Europe mostly, Italy) aren't leaving the tit of globalization, which limits the amount of damage they can ultimately do. Damage there is no doubt, but compared to past history? Compared to EU as a whole? Compared to the western world or the entire world as a whole? Peanuts and will ultimately be reversed. They can stay in power only by manipulating elections and the justice system and their people have free movement.

I'm not particularly worried about PS - their party is comprised of and voted by idiots who have just as much a chance of affecting the forces of nature of mankind - human migration, demographic changes, urbanization increasing human connectiveness due to technology, globalization in general - as some dirt-worshipping tribe in the middle of nowhere that hasn't even been contacted by rest of humanity.

I really don't give a poo poo about Pena from Kouvola or whatever becoming a Neo-nazi - he will change or be dragged kicking and screaming behind the train of progress and die as a miserable echo of past times just like every conservative living in time of change has been. And right now, everyone is living in a time of change all the time. Both extreme right and extreme left (don't think I am some both sides the same bullshitter here, communism isn't just realistic any more then fascism) had a quick period of flourishing, an eyeblink by historical measure. They're dead and dying with the occasional pained gasp. The ideologies of the future massacred them.

Dude, shutting out the right-wing populist parties and their voterbase does not work. Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Italy, Netherlands.

They're are not even trying to leave EU anymore, now their goal is to consolidate power in EU and take over. You do understand how much damage than can do to any significant plans to combat climate change for example?

All it takes for these far right parties to stay in power is to disenfranchise, dis-encourage or fragment the opposition.

The more right the overton window moves, the more acceptable the lovely behavior also becomes to the common population which empowers the far right to act even shittier to gain support from their base.

DarkCrawler posted:

I am more worried about actual threats like climate change and increasing corporate power, both of which are being driven by actually smart and organized people and a force that has always been much more powerful in the hierarchy of wants then prejudice - greed. Not only can Pena go gently caress himself - but he is even beneath of me worrying about him. Not beneath me hating him, but I also hate fruit flies and I don't think they're going to take over the world or anything.

You completely forget that the cock-parties of the world don't have any problems cooperating with the far-right parties to get what they want. See Austria for an example.
Thought Kolme Ässää was bad, how about just Cock and PS with someone like HA who is very right wing in his economical policies leading the whole thing.

DarkCrawler posted:

Only thing I can derive from them is the pleasure of bullying them online whenever they leave their little safe spaces. And - to admit my own failings as a human being - it is immensely pleasurable.
Alright... I mean, you do you, but what does this achieve exactly?

I see that we are still at a position where debating them is still possible option and especially preferable when they are people close to you.
Cognitive dissonance is helluva drug.

DarkCrawler posted:

Most people who vote for PS. Others just don't care about racism, which makes them as bad.

This is your position and it explains why you hate all of them. I prefer Hanlon's razor

DarkCrawler posted:

"More restricted immigration" is so nebulous that it is meaningless. I don't consider every person who wants more restricted immigration to be racist. They could, for examples, be worried about halpatyövoima regardless of it coming from Viro or Afghanistan.

Please read the analysis behind it, it's separated to immigration and refugees.
https://www.eva.fi/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/eva_analyysi_no_68-1.pdf

Jyppe fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 18, 2019

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
jatkakaa vain sitä penalle vittuilua ja jenkkimuoteja seuraavaa rinkirunkkua

persut kiittää teitä tulevasta vaalivoitosta

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

doverhog posted:

Did Kasvi do something to piss you ukkelit off or something? I used to vote for that guy and he is better than like 90% of the people who actually did get elected.

I think it's just SA's trademark grognerding.

Kasvi is above average as both a member of parliament and as a game reviewer; neither especially impressive bars to clear and he does so with ease.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
TAAS MENNÄÄN!

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/1cb3428f-e0f1-4e7d-8e1f-44c0295fc113

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
My fear of ISIS infiltrators and other maladjusted foreigners determines my position on immigration policy and consequently all other policy (edit: it's gently caress them). My brain is also the size of a pingispallo. All the important immigration details are in there in that tiny bit inside my head and that's all there is. No room for compassion or any thought beoynd the most immediate and crude xenophobia lol.

Also Ligur was a great poster ftw :D

fart_man_69 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 18, 2019

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
We should make it ilmastomuutosvaalit and care deeply about climate change, which is the white man's burden that is totally up to us to undo

and the methods to do it totally aren't just regressive tax on the poorer share of the population.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboll0tlOxk

pena.mp4

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

pigdog posted:

We should make it ilmastomuutosvaalit and care deeply about climate change, which is the white man's burden that is totally up to us to undo

and the methods to do it totally aren't just regressive tax on the poorer share of the population.

I think we should educate our children so they can make wise choises without having some idiotic "white man's burden" rhetoric mixed up in there. Imo we should also not use regressive tax methods and I believe future generations will be much smarter about this than whatever it is you imagine. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I might have voted for this guy if I had known of this ahead of time:

quote:

”...Enkä itse näe suurta eroa Israelin valtion ja ISIkSen välillä, toinen on valloittajana paljon nuorempi. Molemmissa tapauksessa alueelle on hyökännyt joukko miehiä lännen tukemina valtaamaan alkuperäisväestöltä "heille historiallisesti kuulumia alueita" ja ovat rakentaneet "valtion", jota nyt yrittävät puolustaa. Kumpikin rekrytoi nuoria miehiä ja naisia ympärimaailmaa asiansa edistämiseksi. ISkSen riveissä on yhtä monta kansallisuutta kuin Israelia perustettaessa”, al-Taee kirjoitti lokakuun lopulla 2014 Facebook-ryhmässä Moderni Lähi-itä.

However you could have found better company than loving Janus Putkonen, man. Talk about a broken clock.