Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Games like Demon or Mage in which the oppressive status quo is inconceivably vast and powerful are much more revolutionary than games like Geist which explicitly assure you that that you can win a specific battle whose victory will measurably and believably improve modern, day-to-day existence. Destroying the God-Machine or casting down the Exarchs demands the will from players and Storyteller to decide that such a radical departure from the status quo is possible even when everything seems to indicate otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm not sure I understand the criticisms of Geist not being coherent.

You died, you're a deadman, you can now SEE that there's a system of oppression in place and there's an underclass of dead people (that you now belong to), and can see them getting exploited by the underworld, its agents (Reapers) and by amoral mortals (Necromancers). If you're saying there's no explicit compulsion for them to help and not just abuse their powers to get wealthy and comfortable, sure, but if I understand Mage correctly, it's sort of assumed that most of the player characters are NOT going to just ignore their system of oppression and join the Seers.

You've joined an exploited underclass, what do?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Eat the rich" probably takes on a whole new meaning when you're half-dead and ridden by an iconic poltergeist.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited to play out all the Geist feeding scenes of just wolfing down gross slop to recharge your magic. Overall I really like the book so far.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also, it probably-to-definitely galvanizes your resolve to improve the world of the living and especially the dead when you've come to know with absolute certainty what's waiting for you (and everyone else) in eternity. And you have a finite amount of time to make the infinite better when you (and everyone else) end up there.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
As has been noted elsewhere it has Group Beats as the standard, as opposed to a suggested option as other books have put it.

I've already seen a person complaining about it being 'Beat welfare,' and how a person who blows off games has been getting the same experience as everyone else (the book doesn't suggest giving experience to players who aren't there), despite the game having just come out yesterday.

nofather fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 17, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

beat welfare

beat welfare

beat welfare

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

beat welfare

beat welfare

beat welfare

Well someone had to take up the mantle after 4th Edition "d20 Obamacare" Dungeon & Dragons died.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dawgstar posted:

"Eat the rich" probably takes on a whole new meaning when you're half-dead and ridden by an iconic poltergeist.
Tbf “eat the rich” is very much not in the spirit of the line. They have a line or two of “you can be violent, if you really want to” shrugging, but the ritual of justice for the justice-oriented krewe is, at worst, a Maoist struggle session. It’s strongly implied that if you’re at a point where you don’t believe “the rich” in whatever capacity is beyond benevolence, you’re the Geist equivalent of a Hunter-turned-slasher. This is not a game Frantz Fanon would vibe with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

And again, none of that is bad necessarily, but idk why you’d make this game in the Storyteller system beyond whatever brand recognition it can offer.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

nofather posted:

As has been noted elsewhere it has Group Beats as the standard, as opposed to a suggested option as other books have put it.

I've already seen a person complaining about it being 'Beat welfare,' and how a person who blows off games has been getting the same experience as everyone else (the book doesn't suggest giving experience to players who aren't there), despite the game having just come out yesterday.

I wish I had the power to wedgie people across all distances, because goodness that person needs it. Beat welfare, Christ.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Basic Chunnel posted:

And again, none of that is bad necessarily, but idk why you’d make this game in the Storyteller system beyond whatever brand recognition it can offer.
Is there something about rolling d10s against target numbers from a trait-derived pool that requires the game to be dismal and hopeless? Street Fighter is also a Storyteller game. I know someone who made a Beast Wars game using the basic concepts when she was in college.

Ferrinus posted:

Games like Demon or Mage in which the oppressive status quo is inconceivably vast and powerful are much more revolutionary than games like Geist which explicitly assure you that that you can win a specific battle whose victory will measurably and believably improve modern, day-to-day existence. Destroying the God-Machine or casting down the Exarchs demands the will from players and Storyteller to decide that such a radical departure from the status quo is possible even when everything seems to indicate otherwise.
:hmmyes: So you could say that a game without these as key themes, and into which you forcibly introduce these themes, is a sort of Will Triumph, a "Triumph of the Will" so to speak. Perhaps it demonstrates a certain, I don't know what to call it - Willpower? Maybe more like a will TO power.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 17, 2019

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

nofather posted:

Well, they sound fun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Well, they sound fun.
That person put it in a disgusting way but I can genuinely understand the weird sort of dynamics where the game ends up being inadvertently structured around the least invested people (because they get lured back in, because they're considered "losable" and thus get subtle priority... including of scheduling of formal sessions...... which they then still don't attend.........), however the little paragraph about how "after three fade-out moments, the ST should neutrally check to see, hey, is everything cool? if not, you wanna take a break more formally, and come back later when you can?" was great to see in one of these books.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I believe the term you're searching for, Nessus, is 'pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will.' From, y'know, famous antifascist communist and general cool guy Antonio Gramsci.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

Is there something about rolling d10s against target numbers from a trait-derived pool that requires the game to be dismal and hopeless? Street Fighter is also a Storyteller game.
Who are these people who come to tabletop to simulate Street Fighter

Were they just not allowed game consoles

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Ferrinus posted:

Well aren't you making them less revolutionary by telling us all this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

A world where a psychic tries to conquer the world with petty crime isn't so far off from the WoD, after all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

neaden posted:

Ah but you see by keeping the gate he defends tradition. And what if they brought down the Coalition????

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I always though that was a weird thing for an RPG, same thing with that WWE D20 game, but different strokes I guess

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Geist's goal isn't any less revolutionary than Mage's or Demon's, it's just revolutionary in reference to an imaginary horror-fantasy form of oppression, instead of positing an imaginary horror-fantasy antagonist as the embodiment of real forms of oppression.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nessus posted:

:hmmyes: So you could say that a game without these as key themes, and into which you forcibly introduce these themes, is a sort of Will Triumph, a "Triumph of the Will" so to speak. Perhaps it demonstrates a certain, I don't know what to call it - Willpower? Maybe more like a will TO power.

Ah, so you are a fascist.

neaden posted:

No, it’s not a secret. It’s a test.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

I always though that was a weird thing for an RPG, same thing with that WWE D20 game, but different strokes I guess
”Karate Heroes vs the World Crime League” seems as cromulent as “vampire high school forever” or “mystical weirdos vs the NSA”. More so, frankly.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Basic Chunnel posted:

Street Fighter was actually really good Dumb Fun because it let you realize your terrible OCs, I made a Sumo Ninja and it was great.

EDIT:

Ironslave posted:

I wish I had the power to wedgie people across all distances, because goodness that person needs it. Beat welfare, Christ.

There's a merit for that, I think.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

There is actually a nice game for it. Fight! The dev is pretty cool (in case he turns out to be Adolph Jong Stalin, this is based on one conversation) and they're trying to get a second edition out right now.

But on the (very few) general rpg forums I've been on, basically if there's any trend, like a new anime or popular new fantasy or sci fi series or tv show, inevitably you have a month of 'I want to make a RPG based on this new thing.' So a Street Fighter RPG in the 90s kinda fits like an Elder Scrolls game does now.

nofather fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Loomer posted:

More ratios and demographics. All, unless otherwise noted, on a whole supernatural community basis and exclude wraiths for obvious reasons.

Belgium: 1:184,800.
Belize: 1:34,000
Botswana: 1:840,000
Brazil: 1:628,000
Bulgaria: 1:109,700
Burma: 1:355,300
Burundi: 1:1,062,333
Cameroon: 1:7,500,000
Cambodia: 1:12,100,000
Canada: 1:32,000. Canada also has 2 fera to every vampire and a very high proportionate changeling population at around 11% of the total.
Central African Republic: 1:3,700,200
Chile: 1:3,792,500
Colombia: 1:5,050,000
Ecuador: 1:2,431,321
East Timor: 1:184,640
Djibouti 1:102,512
Egypt: 1:145,400
England: 1:225,400
Finland: 1:304,400

City wise, Paris is overpopulated. 1:10,680. Vampires alone are at 1:12,962.

I haven't looked at Project stats for a long time, but I assume the US is too volatile data-wise from all the books set there to come to an easy ratio?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nofather posted:

There is actually a nice game for it. Fight! The dev is pretty cool (in case he turns out to be Adolph Jong Stalin, this is based on one conversation) and they're trying to get a second edition out right now.

Eh, why not signal boost.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really want Fight 2e to make it but it doesn't look good

You know what does look good? Geist!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I really want Fight 2e to make it but it doesn't look good

You know what does look good? Geist!
Incorrect, nothing can be good.

One of the things that I appreciated during my relatively quick read was that it was clear that the authors had approached the concept of religion as a community exercise in a respectful and non-hostile way, which was refreshing since I am used to RPG religions either being nothing but oppressive hierarchies or otherwise intrinsically bad, neutral-waste-of-time at best.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Nessus posted:

How broke-rear end are the Geist powers?

Also I forgot to answer this, the craziest one IMO is The Tomb; at 2 dots as long as you have the representation or another object with some conceptual link to something that's been lost or destroyed, you can summon a plasmic recreation of it that lasts for several days.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crasical posted:

Also I forgot to answer this, the craziest one IMO is The Tomb; at 2 dots as long as you have the representation or another object with some conceptual link to something that's been lost or destroyed, you can summon a plasmic recreation of it that lasts for several days.
Ah, Unlimited Gun Works

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Spector29 posted:

I haven't looked at Project stats for a long time, but I assume the US is too volatile data-wise from all the books set there to come to an easy ratio?

Oddly enough, the US is probably the best place to establish a representative ratio because it had so much coverage. Most other countries got a mention here and there, often off hand and difficult to draw conclusions from, while we have figures for 388 seperate locations in the US. Many are, of course, minor mentions as well, but the bigger the data set, the easier to generalize even with the volatility. The US is at 1:31,800 supernatural:mortal, and 1:57,000 vampire:human, for reference.

My current thinking is to take certain well represented nations - Canada, America, Australia, the UK, France, Russia, Germany, Egypt and China - and use that to suggest broader patterns based on length of human settlement, population density, and an 'x factor' for anything that would suggest higher or lower ratios (e.g. lack of industrialization means a lower end vampire ratio but a higher end fera ratio, most of the time), and map that out to poorly represented areas first within those nations and then internationally to arrive at the calculated total. The current batch of figures I'm reporting are just the 'raw' ratios - exactly as we see the world represented in the books, with a handful of alterations to accomodate things like the proportionality of sidhe:commoner changelings in Concordia where what's explicitly stated (in that case, something like 1:10) doesn't match at all with what's represented (closer, as memory serves, to 1.2:1 in the same case).

I'm also setting it all down into proper spreadsheets with formulas so it's easy to add entries if someone else wants to continue the project into V20 and beyond, and documenting the kind of information that's most helpful versus what's interesting but essentially useless demographically, along with what I wish I'd recorded but won't be going back to revisit - for instance, would it be interesting to map humanity, discipline and road ratings among vampires across editions, regions, sects, and clans? Yes. Am I willing to spend another year+ to do it when I'm about to start my PhD and taking on new leadership roles in my esoteric communities? No - especially not if no one's paying me. It's the same reason I'm cutting it off now rather than pursuing V20 content - the project already involved reading something on the order of 800 books (averaging on the order of 175 pages each, when you weigh the novels against the little 80 page splatbooks) as it is. That's one hell of a literature review - and it shows how prolific White Wolf really were, since it comes out to something like 60 books a year for the run of the oWoD. The failure to include some of the most interesting data is a methodological flaw on my part but at least it's one that the groundwork has been done to cover. Likewise, when I started it was all just written down in text files with inconsistent format, which meant I couldn't just macro it into useable form - the last three years or so have in large part been just a process of cleaning the data up in my spare time, while also exploring some vital areas with limited scope like cause of death for wraiths.

It should be quite a lot easier for anyone who wants to follow up those things I didn't record, fortunately, because most of the time where it's available it can be 'roadmapped' based on other data like the presence of an embrace date, a faction, or detailed notes in the entries for unique individuals from certain books, whereas when I started a whopping ten years ago there wasn't really any such roadmap to go off for the vast majority of published content and there still isn't outside of the Project. The big, helpful aspect of it is that where possible I recorded every unique instance of an already known vampire, but only in terms of what the book actually said to pick up on changes between editions, retcons, etc, so even if there's 30 mentions of say, Victoria Ash, there's only two or three that show meaningful detail so you'd only have to go to those three books to check. It's now a nerdy, but not insane, proposition to find out these things, and with a consistent data format and layout it can be directly added rather than the torturous record-convert-merge process I had going on.

For those curious, the basic layout was like this:
Sire
-Childe
--Grandchilde
-Ghoul
For non-vampires, it worked the same, but like so:
Sept
-Pack
--Packmember
Unfortunately, while this seems like it'd be easy to convert I used the same notation for very different things in the same file. Easy for a human to parse, but not a machine, and even worse, I was inconsistent in the rest of the data - for instance, sometimes a pack's leader had the pack embedded below them and sometimes they were just embedded under it, while in Vampire files sometimes it was 9 Ventrue and sometimes Ventrue 9, and so on. Because this varied significantly it wasn't a simple thing to transfer over and had to be done more or less by hand. So to clean it up I had to go through every entry in an excel file and transfer the data manually into the appropriate cells. When you consider that the 20th century alone encompasses over 150,000 entries - and that's without things like chantries, septs, companies, etc, just individuals - and there's also another 50,000 or so entries for historical data... That's a lot of poo poo to transfer. The average number of cells (each splat has a different count of what's relevant) was around 15, with Vampire having 40 - things like splat, date of birth, date of death, date of embrace/awakening/whatever, location, nation located, nationality, gender if known, historical figure, the source, etc, so that means something along the lines of 3 million bits of info to enter, though in reality few entries contain all so it was probably closer to just 1 million.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Can we use the Project to curse Swedracula and steal his garmonbozia?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Nessus posted:

Ah, Unlimited Gun Works

I have a bad habit of overvaluing combat powers that I really should tamp down on; I'm not playing DnD anymore, for chrissake. Blowing stuff up with a lightning bolt is cool but not really the best thing to build around.

...Oh poo poo, look at El Chupacabra man on page 204

Uh, short summary of some of the high/interesting points of the Haunts, I don't wanna dump a super in-depth summary of the powers, buy the book, ect:

CAUL: Get some minor bonuses for being a wriggly fellow, gain armor equal to caul dots, increase your size and strength, get spider climb, wings, swarm form, eventually you can barf out homunuluses. You can get lethal Unarmed this way but as with all the haunts but The Rage it's limited.

CURSE: Get a pool of 'Bitchslap points' you can use to make something bad happen to someone. Starts at giving them a -2 to a roll, increases to inverting their equipment bonus, give people Bad Tilts, drops social rolls to a chance die, or make the target able to see/hear/touch/Get eaten by ghosts

DIRGE: Sing about something: People who go along with the idea get a +2, people who go against the idea have to spend a willpower every action that resists the intent. Sing a song of 'stop being so angry you shits' at frenzying vampires and raging werewolves, great fun. Higher levels let you pass out the Inspired condition, feed ghosts, Get perfect social impression and roll their Dirge stat to open Doors in social Manipulation (!!!), Supress/hand out Badfeels Conditions (Including Beaten Down)

MARIONETTE: Sort of a combo of mind control and poltergeist, you get tendrils of ectoplasm that you puppet people and things with. Manipulating larger objects is easier with higher levels, and you can eventually make the control semi-autonomous.

Memoria: I'm not covering this one 'cause I don't really understand how it works.

ORACLE: You die a little bit and pop your ghost out to answer questions. Because you're dead, YOU can't ask the questions, you have to get someone to ask on your behalf, AND you can only answer from a list of specific questions. Also, if you dramatic fail this power then you just die for real.

RAGE: All the other powers that you can hurt people with usually have limits that prevent them from causing too much harm to keep this Haunt from being overshadowed. Just at one dot: You get a weapon bonus on your unarmed equal to plasm spent (5 plasm for chainsaw fists), you deal lethal damage to ghosts, and you can use your dots in Rage instead of dots in Brawl if you want (And don't suffer the penalty for being untrained in brawl). As you increase the dots It evolves into a ranged attack that can autofire, drops physical tilts, deals aggravated damage, and eventually conjures up an environmental tilt that the Rage-user is immune to.

SHROUD: shoot up inside your geist and get all spooky. Get charges on cast, spend charges to dip into twilight. Learn to fly, possess people, drag people into Twilight so that ghosts can eat them, drag people into the Underworld to be a dick.

and I already talked about the Tomb.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Oh boy time to hammer at Geist powers to make them fit my brand of crazy again again. Again again again?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

Ah, Unlimited Gun Works

Having access to a gun seems like a pretty tame power for Geist.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The one thing that Geist IMO really lacks is some explanation bow your average Bound goes from "I can speak to ghosts and I cannot be killed" to "I will form a death cult/revolutionary organization that will topple the hell and establish a new, better order". It's not like everyone who sees the other people's misery actually acknowledges systemic problems that cause it; even less decide to actually do something with it. You could expect much more Bound to ignore or use ghosts to their own ends, than actually help them.

This is especially important given how passive the main enemies are. You may be a scrawny Mysterium nerd that tries to find the recipe for immortality, but it doesn't mean the Seers won't come to gently caress you up; even a demon Integrator has to avoid angels and steal Aether to survive. Meanwhile, the Reapers are usually pretty content to leave the Bound alone, unless they interfere. The Kerberoi are even worse, because you actually need to come to them and break one of their laws before they even start caring about you. Yeah, these laws are usually pretty stupid and obscure, but it doesn't change the fact that you have to make a trip to one of the Domains and spit on the local Kerberos' shoes before they eventually catch you and give you several months of community service.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 18, 2019

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Gantolandon posted:

The one thing that Geist IMO really lacks is some explanation bow your average Bound goes from "I can speak to ghosts and I cannot be killed" to "I will form a death cult/revolutionary organization that will topple the hell and establish a new, better order".

It's been a while since I read the kickstarter drafts, but unless something changed, I think that's explicitly up for you to decide. You're a sin-eater, which means you're not one of the Bound organizations who reacted by seeing the systemic issues at the root of the afterlife and either shrugged or went 'so I gotta get mine'. Bound explicitly can profit from or relatively safely ignore the status quo, so, if I'm remembering right, it's on you to decide why your character decided not to.

Edit: And, really, the average Bound probably DOES decide to shrug or profit, I don't know if it really does breakdowns, but it makes sense to me that the revolutionary fringe against death is a fringe.

Doc Aquatic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 18, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, the need to actually be self motivated rather than just doing mostly the thing your faction does is a nice thing. And unlike Vampire there is a pretty obvious Thing To Do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gantolandon posted:

The one thing that Geist IMO really lacks is some explanation bow your average Bound goes from "I can speak to ghosts and I cannot be killed" to "I will form a death cult/revolutionary organization that will topple the hell and establish a new, better order". It's not like everyone who sees the other people's misery actually acknowledges systemic problems that cause it; even less decide to actually do something with it. You could expect much more Bound to ignore or use ghosts to their own ends, than actually help them.

This is especially important given how passive the main enemies are. You may be a scrawny Mysterium nerd that tries to find the recipe for immortality, but it doesn't mean the Seers won't come to gently caress you up; even a demon Integrator has to avoid angels and steal Aether to survive. Meanwhile, the Reapers are usually pretty content to leave the Bound alone, unless they interfere. The Kerberoi are even worse, because you actually need to come to them and break one of their laws before they even start caring about you. Yeah, these laws are usually pretty stupid and obscure, but it doesn't change the fact that you have to make a trip to one of the Domains and spit on the local Kerberos' shoes before they eventually catch you and give you several months of community service.
I think it's a mistake to conflate "passive towards you" with "passive" in re: the main threats of the game. Yeah, a Reaper won't come for you as directly as angels on demons, but as Bound ghosts are now about as real to you as actual living people, so if a Reaper comes through scooping up ghosts you know (and hell, may even be in or adjacent to your krewe), you're going to want to do something. And if the Kerberoi have some crappy little domain where someone you knew ended up, you're not going to just leave them in the infinite dark tunnels where whispers are punished with eternal knives to the eyes and if you take a step backwards your legs are removed, are you?

It's like vampires being forced into action because someone's picking off their herd, except here the herd gives you companionship and constant reminders of who you're doing this for, instead of just gross blood. Which kind of goes to a greater point: PC Bound are written to be dramatically unlike most, if not all, of the other WoD splats, because they aren't just fighting for baseline-to-marginally-less-inconvenient-subsistence, or explicitly for their own survival, they're actively attempting to make a better (under)world. The horror here is that the status quo, while changeable, still has the potential to suck to an extent that there's no liberation from, no improvement save what you bring to it, just the sucking force of entropy and decay held back by will, and often those will the most will are insane psycho-tyrants that will eat your friends and family out of habit rather than hunger. It's Mage except you want to cast the spell "not have to worry about grandma becoming a single eternally scream-blinking eye of the vast worm at the heart of the thousandth winding underspire" instead of shooting for tiny godhood.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 18, 2019