Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm Canadian... help me out here. How do you pronounce them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/bobshabazz/status/1116177490949468160?s=19

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I assume they just went with what the IPA uses, accents be damned.

It among other clues tripped me enough to do badly in the test. The writers sure love Chekov, don't they?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I missed the test :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I did not do well! That was fun though. Positive I got 27 right, probably maxed out at 30.

Edit: 29. https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5147

Poque fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 12, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought I made the test with seconds to spare, but when I signed in it told me I wasn't registered even though I've very sure I did that long ago :rip:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Too late now, but apparently you have to register 2 hours in advance of the test. That useful information is nowhere to be seen on their website. I did a Google search and the jeopardy Twitter account said that.

Because of that I had to stay up past my bedtime and take the west coast test.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

The Zack posted:

Too late now, but apparently you have to register 2 hours in advance of the test. That useful information is nowhere to be seen on their website. I did a Google search and the jeopardy Twitter account said that.

Because of that I had to stay up past my bedtime and take the west coast test.

This was me this year. I drunkenly got 42/50, if my hangover math is correct.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lol I got maybe 22 of them correct. Some I pulled out of my rear end and got right, and others I knew the answer to but couldn't retrieve it in time.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

going by the answers for the 9th, assuming I missed it for any answer that seemed unfamiliar, I think I got 40.

of course, that’s all depending on whether or not I get called for an in-person, which hasn’t happened yet.

i must apologize, as i have misspoken. i drank a 40 before i did the test.

i have no idea how i actually did

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

This was me this year. I drunkenly got 42/50, if my hangover math is correct.

I got 39s on Tuesday's and the South Florida one on a nice buzz late Tuesday night. Registered and took Thursday's sober and got 36 :shrug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Just started catching up on last week's episodes, and James really reminds me of the version of himself that James Van Der Beek played in Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Currently has 70k plus heading into final jeopardy against two opponents with 5k

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

6-year plan man posted:

Currently has 70k plus heading into final jeopardy against two opponents with 5k

and another record one-day total

this guy has broken jeopardy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He's almost averaging Roger Craig's old record

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm still cranky about his smarm but what can I do but respect his game? The "correct" strategy for Jeopardy isn't a secret but nobody's executing it better than him. And he has the guts to make huge bets on Daily Doubles which is what's setting him apart. Jennings had similar skills but was famously a timid bettor. Professional gambler vs Mormon, am I right folks

It's also not hard to see how he might eventually go down. One bad DD in Double Jeopardy could crush him.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I wonder how humbled Roger Craig feels about his single-day record not just having been smashed hard, but multiple times by the same person.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I wonder how humbled Roger Craig feels about his single-day record not just having been smashed hard, but multiple times by the same person.

https://twitter.com/rogcraig/status/1115649682498310144

https://twitter.com/rogcraig/status/1116019346600603649

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

I'm still cranky about his smarm but what can I do but respect his game? The "correct" strategy for Jeopardy isn't a secret but nobody's executing it better than him. And he has the guts to make huge bets on Daily Doubles which is what's setting him apart. Jennings had similar skills but was famously a timid bettor. Professional gambler vs Mormon, am I right folks

It's also not hard to see how he might eventually go down. One bad DD in Double Jeopardy could crush him.
To this point, he hasn't been in a situation where he couldn't easily recover from a tie. But he's not stupid or impulsive, and he bets lower when it's called for.

That said, this is how we saw Alex Jacob go in game seven.

This was before Roger Craig was bumped down to the #5 spot for single-game winnings in the span of a week :froggonk:

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
This the best run since the all stars, I enjoy it. Anyone with a brain knows the correct strategy, but his execution is virtually perfect. That's a lot harder on the stage than on the couch. One thing that stands out to me is that his hit rate is incredible for his buzzer timing. He almost never buzzes when he doesn't know the answer. I get a bit of a high functioning rain man vibe actually.

Edit: That webpage brings back geocities memories. It's like a trip back to the 90s where we'd put stupid insults in <meta/> tags.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1118710748681687041 And then that. I'm starting to think the Jeopardy people themselves are behind the cringe site.

Edit: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html That's neat. We all knew he rocks it on the daily doubles, but seeing it quantified is cool.

User fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 18, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

User posted:

And then that. I'm starting to think the Jeopardy people themselves are behind the cringe site.
The thought had crossed my mind, but I was able to determine that the theme was a W3Schools stock theme, and the whole thing just seemed really off-brand for a major studio technically

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

There's no way Jeopardy would have done the "humbled subjects" thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

There's no way Jeopardy would have done the "humbled subjects" thing.

Ding ding ding.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
lol, it took Ken Jennings 74 games to get to 2.5 million. In 74 games this guy will be a billionaire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

lol, it took Ken Jennings 74 games to get to 2.5 million. In 74 games this guy will be a billionaire.

:rip: Jeopardy

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Any goons going to LA auditions next month? Got my email yesterday

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
C. King must be Batman.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I thought of Clock King and missed the obvious pun.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Even James only seems to have known it because his wife made him watch the movie recently.

I got via the pun right away.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

WarEternal posted:

C. King must be Batman.

It's King Crimson, and no one knows how that works.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Which Alex Trebek funko pop will you be purchasing: then or now?

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1119246776559599618

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate funkopops on principle. goddamnit, now I gotta change my thinking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have made one, with a removable mustache

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was looking for a pun on "seeking" and got nowhere.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
funko pops are all abominations

even these.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

WarEternal posted:

C. King must be Batman.

Like, how do you not get that?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least nobody named a Marvel character.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

at this rate james is gonna break a million on tuesday

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't today's episode the end of the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

packetmantis posted:

Isn't today's episode the end of the season?

Not until July.