Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

I am imagining the Leafs spending the nearly $11M that senile Lou Lam dedicated to Zaitsev and Marleau on literally anything else.

Was talking about this today and it’s just brutal. Lots of people defended Lou when he left but all of this team’s problems come from his signings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wrong thread

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Koopa Kid posted:

Was talking about this today and it’s just brutal. Lots of people defended Lou when he left but all of this team’s problems come from his signings.

Lou fired Garth Snow and hired Barry Trotz so he's still got some brains.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Lou fired Garth Snow and hired Barry Trotz so he's still got some brains.

I mean hiring the best coach on the market and letting go one of the worst GMs in recent memory is fine, but if Lehner doesn’t have a career-best season next year let’s see how smart people think he is

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Offseason thread is calling, Flames fans

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I want the Avs to just run ragged over the Flames on Friday to punish the giant babies in Calgary for electing another right wing grifter to control our province again. I know I had the Avs winning in 6 and they would do that at home but gently caress that noise, and gently caress Calgary

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Aces High posted:

I want the Avs to just run ragged over the Flames on Friday to punish the giant babies in Calgary for electing another right wing grifter to control our province again. I know I had the Avs winning in 6 and they would do that at home but gently caress that noise, and gently caress Calgary

:agreed:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Beat me to it

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Mike Smith rockin' that .931 SV% through four games... and Calgary is down 3-1 in their series. gently caress the Flames and all, but holy poo poo, maybe give your goalie a little help now and then.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aces High posted:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I don’t have feelings one way or another about Calgary or the flames, but I like Johnny hockey and would enjoy seeing him get some post season success. BUT the Avs are really fun to watch right now, holy poo poo. Want to see mackinnon get past 30 mins in a game

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Last time the Avs were up 3 games to one Matt Cooke Tonya-Harding Tyson Barrie and we lost in seven.

Series ain't over till it's over.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

LumpyGumby posted:

Last time the Avs were up 3 games to one Matt Cooke Tonya-Harding Tyson Barrie and we lost in seven.

Series ain't over till it's over.

Maybe so but have you considered

Aces High posted:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Man, I'm glad Grubauer found his game in time for the playoffs. He had a 0.948 save % in regular season after the All Star break to finish the season and is at 0.933 so far this series. It's not Mike Smith's 0.940 but Avs are putting up a whole lot more shots.

Hopefully Girard is recovered by Friday, and I hope no one else catches the flu. Brassard is out with the flu and at least one player is playing through it, though idk who, but Avs called up a forward last-minute today just in case. Bednar said there were regular forwards (he said it plural) that were last minute decisions on whether they'd be playing tonight due to illness.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Maybe someday Johnny Gaudreau will make the playoffs

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Rantanen-McKinnon-Landeskog line is looking extremely good

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

When was the last time both 8 seeds knocked off the 1 seeds? I can't remember the opposite Conference teams doing it in 2010 and 2012 when Montreal toppled Washington and LA beat Vancouver.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

When was the last time both 8 seeds knocked off the 1 seeds? I can't remember the opposite Conference teams doing it in 2010 and 2012 when Montreal toppled Washington and LA beat Vancouver.

Under the division/conference format, never

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Calgary is going to have a vote to put themselves in the second round, just like they recently had a vote to bring energy jobs back

Because Albertans are a magic folk with magic proclivities

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Surprisingly nervous about the Caps tonight given they're up 2-1. They just looked like such butt last game and I'm worried the Svech murdering becomes one of those galvanizing moments in a series.

e: Just watched the Avs highlights and gawdamn is Grubby a beast.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Chad Sexington posted:

Surprisingly nervous about the Caps tonight given they're up 2-1. They just looked like such butt last game and I'm worried the Svech murdering becomes one of those galvanizing moments in a series.

Good. Storm surge incoming!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pastrnak rules but it was embarrassing that the Bruins nearly blew it twice in the same game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Capitals have been outplayed for like 7/9 periods but I'm not sure Carolina has enough horses to take them out. Feels like the Caps will veteran their way to a 6 or 7 game win but I hope I'm wrong

anyway it's weird as gently caress that Colorado, Columbus, and Las Vegas have looked like the best teams (well maybe not weird for Vegas).

the Boston/Toronto series has been pretty good too, I think both of those teams occasional shittiness has been as much due to the opposition as anything else, certainly could see one of them coming out of the East to get poo poo on by Vegas

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
good win for the Avs last night. felt like the inverse of pretty much every regular season game that the Avs and Flames played, where the Avs would get out to an early lead and then would just choke it away in the third.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Avs and Jackets look scary" - me

"lol" - past me, back in march, reading that statement after having been sent it through a time tunnel

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I picked the Avs as the second easiest first round match-up and other than game 1 they've just thoroughly outclassed the Flames.

I can't even blame the losses on Mike Smith because he's been our best loving player.

Also Johnny Gaudreau is very delicate, please stop hitting him, he tends to not play well when that happens.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Aces High posted:

Let's fuckin go!!!!!!!!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aces High posted:

United We Roll Over

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

T-Bone posted:

The Capitals have been outplayed for like 7/9 periods but I'm not sure Carolina has enough horses to take them out. Feels like the Caps will veteran their way to a 6 or 7 game win but I hope I'm wrong

anyway it's weird as gently caress that Colorado, Columbus, and Las Vegas have looked like the best teams (well maybe not weird for Vegas).

the Boston/Toronto series has been pretty good too, I think both of those teams occasional shittiness has been as much due to the opposition as anything else, certainly could see one of them coming out of the East to get poo poo on by Vegas

If the Canes got another top tier scorer I think that would put them over the hump. The effort our team puts forth is like night and day between the Peters/Brind'Amour regime and if we just had a bit more scoring talent we'd be set.

Svech is about 2 years away from becoming a top flight winger in the league and Aho is there in another year.

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

T-Bone posted:

What if that colorful crab model posted earlier holds true and Dallas wins the cup this year??

:stare:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those aren't even models, they're updated every game. They're results in a fancy format.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Vargatron posted:

If the Canes got another top tier scorer I think that would put them over the hump. The effort our team puts forth is like night and day between the Peters/Brind'Amour regime and if we just had a bit more scoring talent we'd be set.

Svech is about 2 years away from becoming a top flight winger in the league and Aho is there in another year.

Maybe a 40 goal scorer like Jeff Skinner?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BlackStar posted:

What if that colorful crab model posted earlier holds true and Dallas wins the cup this year??

:stare:

There is no "if", brother. It has been ordained.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I love Johnny Gaudreau and I want Johnny Gaudreau to get traded. If he can't figure this out when it matters, he can go back to the USA we need good canadian kids

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I love Johnny Gaudreau and I want Johnny Gaudreau to get traded. If he can't figure this out when it matters, he can go back to the USA we need good canadian kids

A sense a distinct lack of Sutters in cow town right now.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

T-Bone posted:

N: Islanders: a team that swept their 1st round series against a non wild card team

V: Not one of the best looking teams

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I ctrl+f'd the Mueller Report you guys and can confirm that Ovechkin is completely exonerated.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

A sense a distinct lack of Sutters in cow town right now.

A distinct lack of your team in the playoffs right now. Be gone!

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

I ctrl+f'd the Mueller Report you guys and can confirm that Ovechkin is completely exonerated.

The joke prior to the Caps winning the cup was that Ovi was the only Russian not having an influence in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
So the NHL announced that it will not be issuing any supplemental discipline for P.K. Subban targeting Jamie Benn's head in the game last night:

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/1118921924233572353

uhh.. as you can see in the clip provided, seems pretty identical (or worse) to what got Kucherov suspended in the lightning series?

NHL discipline at it again. Can't remember the last time somebody got suspended for a hit on a Dallas player.