Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The only thing worse than skits was when guys like Linkara started having lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I just want them to be funny if theyre going for it. From what ive seen of ppl like contrapoints and hbomberguy the videos are informative, its just that the humor misses for me most of the time.
I like shaun because he doesnt really try to be funny, its just some humorously ironic remarks here and there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember once long ago someone linked me to a Linkara video and the first ten minutes of the video was him pretending his house was a spaceship and a robot version of him was attacking it. It did not really inspire me to watch more

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Well, speaking of the video review trends of the 2000s, I just put up a video on Mogworld, the first book by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. I ruminate on Yahtzee's career, including Zero Punctuation, natch, and the general cynicism and apathy that defined the first wave of video reviewers.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think Linkara gets away with it since his whole schtick is about reviewing Comic books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think Linkara gets away with it since his whole schtick is about reviewing Comic books

gonna hard veto that one

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tbh whenever I watch a linkara video I just skip the lore bits

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Last time I checked, he wised up and put that at the end of his videos anyway, right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

This except with any video with that stuff

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best linkara thing was mega64 mocking his power rangers rant.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

This except with any video with that stuff

Same but also in video plugs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Anyone watch this doc on the fall of Channel Awesome?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcEJJpt3Y5k

SgtSteel91 posted:

That and there is a charm to what he does

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ArfJason posted:

I just want them to be funny if theyre going for it. From what ive seen of ppl like contrapoints and hbomberguy the videos are informative, its just that the humor misses for me most of the time.
I like shaun because he doesnt really try to be funny, its just some humorously ironic remarks here and there.

I enjoy hbombs jokes and his informative videos, although him guffawing at whatever stupid thing is the topic of the week in a really fake way can be a biiit too much sometimes

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hel posted:

Also more people than Americans are going to be caring about Notre dame burning than the local American shitshow of the week, even on the English speaking internet.
There is this reoccurring thing I see from lots of Americans on the internet complaining about why A got more talk than B, seemingly not realising one of them was more international, like lootboxes Vs American Net neutrality (those same people also don't seem to care about local European NN for some reason).

The distinction isn't that a cultural tragedy is less worthwhile to "care about" than a human tragedy, or that Americans engaging with a tragedy occuring in France is somehow inauthentic, it's that the engagement (whether it's a French guy or an American or whoever doing it) is only with the image of the tragedy.

For example, when Grenfell tower caught fire in London, locals complained about residents of other areas of London coming just to see the burnt out tower block in real life, who had no particular interest in the plight of the now-homeless residents - to have an authentic engagement with just the image of tragedy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

McCloud posted:

I enjoy hbombs jokes and his informative videos, although him guffawing at whatever stupid thing is the topic of the week in a really fake way can be a biiit too much sometimes

I think one of my favourite hbomb things is his look directly to camera when he starts listening to Davis Aurini's complaints about Ghostbusters 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Davis Aurini's complaints about Ghostbusters 2016

jesus christ what

I feel like that would have to be locked in a sacred tomb underneath a church for the good of mankind

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

To sum up the thread's opinion - skits in of themsevles are not bad, they are just hard to do well?

I admit to bias - I adore the theatrical framing of Contrapoints and Philosophy Tube because playing with the visuals makes it seem like there is a reason that they are a video instead of a podcast. Besides the wonderful invention of closed captions making it more acessible.

( And I really like skits, just in general but especially Linkara's and was wondering the whys behind it. Thank you all for your thoughtful answers ! )

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even with rlm i skip through the intros to half in the bag until i see the first trailer and those aren't even long.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jesus christ what

I feel like that would have to be locked in a sacred tomb underneath a church for the good of mankind

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY172rzvbWE

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes the world gets me down and I feel kind of blue, but then I’m reminded of how Davis Aurini vanished like flash paper at some point in 2016 because he was too pathetic even for incel nazis who complain about Star Wars.

It’s a real shame about the nazis, however.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
gags are fine and goofs are fine
i'm even fine with bits
but take this tip: for my viewership,
please lay off the skits

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've been watching Hmbomberguy, Lindsey Ellis and Foldable Human so I love skits I can't get enough of them. Dan's whole Fortnite bit with the in game character being him was fun.

I guess they've fallen off for other people though. Anyone remember the last time James Rolfe had to fight a video game character in hand-to-hand combat?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m glad the imperative to play a character in order to do analysis has mostly withered away. It seems like inheritance from James Rolfe, who also shouldn’t have done it, that got oversimplified into a way of excusing preposterous, thoughtless hyperbole, and for a while I could really see some producers chafing under the obligation. Like, “version of myself who’s a thoughtless jerk or who cares too much about something I actually care about” is needlessly confusing and only necessary if a person can’t produce a nuanced perspective (or is forced by economic reality to pander to 14-year-olds who won’t accept nuance).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Allison's Baywatching series is my favourite thing to come out of the sketch style video review. The show is unbelievably stupid but incredibly entertaining, and Allison's enthusiasm for the silliness is infectious. Carnivore Mitch and wimpy Eddie are pretty awesome. There's no negativity and a lot of research put into the videos. I never thought I'd find the production history of a cheesecake beach show so intriguing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think people like Contrapoints and Hbomberguy and Foldable Human took that artform, the artform of the skit, and just examined it and thought about it. While the rest of the internet were like, "SKITS?! These are LAME. Who could POSSIBLY enjoy them!?" the more inspired video creators saw potential in the skit. I hope all the people that made fun of them years ago feels especially silly right now.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Precisely this. Its something thats bothered me since forever from the few Youtube people ive seen, never really had a reason to bring it up till now.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

I think people like Contrapoints and Hbomberguy and Foldable Human took that artform, the artform of the skit, and just examined it and thought about it. While the rest of the internet were like, "SKITS?! These are LAME. Who could POSSIBLY enjoy them!?" the more inspired video creators saw potential in the skit. I hope all the people that made fun of them years ago feels especially silly right now.

Theyre as bad as skits in rap albums

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Imagine the worst acted snl or mad TV skit or any other TV show or movie with the shittiest actors, now realize that the best YouTube skit is worse than that

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i can only understand ideas that are framed as a discourse between grotesque caricatures wearing Spirit Halloween Store makeup shrieking at each other

Plato, famously known as the original "influencer," used the same technique in his wildly popular "Dialogues of the Dead"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't know, if I do watch a video with a skit I usually just skip it. I like to hear what people think, not so much how they act.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2019

TheMonkRocks45
Apr 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Todd in the Shadows couldn't upload his Trainwreckords on Larren Hill, so instead he uploaded a One-Hit Wonderland on Jump Around by House of Pain. Did I forget that this is the last patreon request for One-Hit Wonderland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOGkD7xW2c

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Phelous' skits are my favorite because I like that dumb sense of humor and Halloweenie was one of my favorite things to watch during October

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jesus christ what

That's how diablo started ya know

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am pretty sure clicking this link is analogous to the opening of the ark

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am pretty sure clicking this link is analogous to the opening of the ark

its hbomberguy's response to davis aurini's video so it's more like watching indy and marion as their tied to the pole and all the nazis melt

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was actually thinking of ol Aurini the other day because I was watching a cheap movie set in an elite university and they could only afford one bust so every scene had that same bust in a different spot and it reminded me of the infamously migratory Aurini skull

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
The Bunny Perspective guy has been posting weird rambling videos... I think they're edits of Twitch streams... since #ChangeTheChannel. Apparently his issues with Lindsay Ellis made him sympathetic to GamerGate?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpRFgdVLfmU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weird how those creeps always seem to choose the same few targets out of the dozens of people who have spoken up, most of whom have been more aggressive. Curious indeed.

And I guess Aristotle was right about some people, that rather than being formed by their experiences, their experiences merely nurture the fascist that they always were, helping them uncover what was always directing their choices and determining their actions. gently caress all that nazi filth.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

TheMonkRocks45 posted:

Todd in the Shadows couldn't upload his Trainwreckords on Larren Hill, so instead he uploaded a One-Hit Wonderland on Jump Around by House of Pain. Did I forget that this is the last patreon request for One-Hit Wonderland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOGkD7xW2c

It sucks that he can't upload that Trainwreckords (which you can watch on his Patreon page if you subscribe) to Youtube because it is one of his best. It falls somewhere between :magical: and :yikes: because the performance itself was an absolute trainwreck (for example, Lauryn Hill was having legal issues with her backing band at the time so she put on a one-woman show... having only learned how to play a musical instrument in the past year) but the underlying mental issues she was clearly dealing with just make it feel exploitative to watch (the performance, not Todd's video). I hope he can eventually get that video published in a way that he can monetize it because he absolutely deserves to get rewarded for the effort he put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Sometimes the world gets me down and I feel kind of blue, but then I’m reminded of how Davis Aurini vanished like flash paper at some point in 2016 because he was too pathetic even for incel nazis who complain about Star Wars.

Didn't he get shoved out because even the chudosphere couldn't stand him?