Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that this can serve as confirmation that Rachel Hirschfeld will be returning to voice Alisa in CS 3 and 4. (Click the Voice Previews button.)

If that's not her, that is a drat good impersonation.

I'm pretty sure it's her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I think it's her too but Alisa sounds a little older than she did before. So does Rean for that matter.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Death Priest posted:

I think it's her too but Alisa sounds a little older than she did before. So does Rean for that matter.

Which makes sense, since CS3 takes place about one and a half to two years after the end of CS2.

And Rean just sounds weary, which is perfectly in character for him at this point in the timeline. Sean Chiplock is very good at his job, is what I’m saying.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tales of Woe posted:

the VA uses pretty close to the same voice for morgana in persona 5 so if you've played that you've heard it plenty

:psyduck:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Is it just me, or is (just in case) Crow just kinda eh? I wanted to try using him on this run, on the grounds of using the Class 7 members I ignored the first time (Machias I have Plans for you). But Crow just seems so underwhelming. I guess he is one of the few with an SSS powered S-Craft.

E: no one saw that

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 16, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
He's the jack-of-all-trades. His upgraded weapons give you evade, so he can be a dodge tank if you build him that way. (he'd be the one with the largest counter range since Fie's counterattack does a slash with her gunblades in the first game) His attack is high enough to do decent damage (plus as you said he has a SSS-class S-craft) and his Ats and EP are high enough to help with arts.

Basically, he's your Estelle, filling in whatever gap your current team has.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
(Late game CS3) I gotta admit I was suspicious of Ruggman (or however that's romanized) just because he had the exact same wandering professor shtick as Weissman (even though I was hoping it was a red herring because surely Falcom wouldn't retread old ground) but that he would be not only the leader of the Gnomes but Alisa's father was wild. Also, George's name being an overly obvious hint to his true identity that it seemed outlandish until the scene in the graveyard was pretty great. I hate that they namedropped Schera and Wazy without showing them though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh, the Voice Previews thing updated again today. I suspect it'll update on a regular basis. Elliot's VA from CS 1/2 is also back, but that haircut is not a good look imo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Huh, the Voice Previews thing updated again today. I suspect it'll update on a regular basis. Elliot's VA from CS 1/2 is also back, but that haircut is not a good look imo.

shut up it's beautiful

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Elliot being a complete fashion disaster is my favourite running joke that's probably not deliberate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am wrapping up CS2. I think I have one boss fight to go. To be fair, I thought I had one boss fight to go several hours ago, but then the game did what it did. Yikes there are some pacing issues here. It's at least thematically neat that the game loops all the way back around to CS1's structure, but Christ just end already. It definitely feels like it was originally intended to be one long game and then it was broken into two and padded extensively.

I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into Sky 3 for real this time though. I put my playthrough on pause right after being transported to the other world. As soon as I finish this last dungeon (the real last dungeon, not the fake last dungeon and the whatever the hell that was dungeon), I'll be heading back to Liberl.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah CS2 has way too much epilogue after the 'final' boss but hopefully it pays off with CS3 being better paced at the start

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It definitely feels like it was originally intended to be one long game and then it was broken into two and padded extensively.

Yeah, I heard that they intended all the school stuff to be the first half of the game, but decided they needed more time to develop the characters and storyline.

CS2 ended up being really long and convoluted as a result.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I heard that they intended all the school stuff to be the first half of the game, but decided they needed more time to develop the characters and storyline.

CS2 ended up being really long and convoluted as a result.

I find it funny how rigidly the school is adhering to the "first" and "second" year nomenclature. Like I get it, they never finished their first year and the second years never technically graduated because the civil war cut the school year short, but these kids have literally just played an integral part in bringing peace to the nation and liberated multiple cities and regions through operations they planned and conducted themselves. They outwitted and outfought Ouroboros and Jaegars and the actual Erebonian military. Then they beat the poo poo out of the principal himself. But they still have to take a math final? Just give these kids their degrees already.

It's no wonder that literally everyone in Class VII except for Rean said, "gently caress another year of this," and moved on as if they had finished their second year and the civil war had never happened.

I'm imagining Machias applying for a civil service post in ten years after graduating from the political academy and someone leaping up and shouting, "HE NEVER GRADUATED FROM THORS!" and it turning into a huge scandal that derails his career.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

he's a handsome boy :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

dmboogie posted:

he's a handsome boy :(

He deserves a pat on the head.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'll be heading back to Liberl.

I'm... I'm so sorry...

(Trails 3rd is real good though!)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mistaya posted:

I'm... I'm so sorry...

(Trails 3rd is real good though!)

You should congratulate him on getting out of CS.

Sadly there are two more

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

The Doomhammer posted:

Elliot being a complete fashion disaster is my favourite running joke that's probably not deliberate.

Yellow seems to be his favorite color, him being a fashion disaster was inevitable.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sadly there are two more

I can't because I am in the final chapter of CS1 still. Though I might plow through it tonight.

Is there a release date for PS4-CS2 yet? I've heard May something but it doesn't seem to be solid.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sadly there are two more

I'm probably going to play CS3 at some point. If I like it, I'll play CS4 to end the series, but if CS3 is a total slog then I won't feel bad walking away from the (sub) series.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm probably going to play CS3 at some point. If I like it, I'll play CS4 to end the series, but if CS3 is a total slog then I won't feel bad walking away from the (sub) series.

CS3 is the best game in the Cold Steel Series so don't worry about it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well then I'm in for two more (at least).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Logicblade posted:

CS3 is the best game in the Cold Steel Series so don't worry about it.

It has Campanella in it, how could it not be?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Having just finished CS3, I can say it is definitely the best of the Erebonia games. It's longer than the other two by a wide margin but it never seems to drag because the pace the plot sections and reveals, particularly near the end, very well.

And I'm glad I waited long enough to jump into CS4 right away because that ending was only second to Sky 1's ending in how much of a cliffhanger it is. It even starts out with the Brights, Lloyd, and Elie going through the penultimate dungeon of the Crossbell games in an amazing display of fan service.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm consistently amazed that people think the Sky cliffhanger is worse than CS1.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sky cliffhanger is less of a plot cliffhanger, but it's more surprising/impactful. CS1 never tries to pretend its story is resolved

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It helps that I cared a lot more about Estelle's happiness than Rean's.

Rean is a butt.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rean is cool and good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terper posted:

Rean is cool and good.

Shut up Rean

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though yeah I thought sky was worst but that was because I really didn’t care much about the CS story so it meant nothing to me

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the cs1 cliffhanger worked for me because robots are cool

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CS1 has like twenty moments that feel like endings so it actually kinda works that the last one is a rude as hell cliffhanger

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Rean is the guy who sucks and has depression.

Which is why I find him relatable.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rean rules and the CS1 cliffhanger is the hypest poo poo. More series need to introduce gundams.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hot take I hate the robot poo poo it adds nothing but takes away from a much more interesting story in the second game

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It's honestly shocking how little the robots affect anything at all.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

they affect my hype levels

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Awakening is a very nice song and that means robots are OK.

Also, awakening is an upbeat version of the title screen music (Forward, relentlessly) and that's great too.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hot take I hate the robot poo poo it adds nothing but takes away from a much more interesting story in the second game

I agree with this. It really didn't seem to have much of an impact at all. I don't think they did much of anything that couldn't have been done another way. And the fights were easy to the point of tedious.