Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't really care who hears us yell at the cat or argue about what's for dinner. And if it does turn into some super creepy thing I will unplug it. I just want to voice search in Youtube with my Harmony remote but I apparently this is demanding too much from Logitech and so I will do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Just to be clear this is a privacy setting buried in their settings. You can opt out which alarmist publications conveniently left out of their articles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

um excuse me posted:

Just to be clear this is a privacy setting buried in their settings. You can opt out which alarmist publications conveniently left out of their articles.

If it's opt out, most people won't turn it off.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fine by me, Amazon can built their voice recognition on the backs of others. I'll keep my privacy... for now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

it completely baffles me why so many people stick a microphone in their homes that's directly connected to a giant corporation trying understand how to sell them things more effectively

Yeah, this also makes me feel like a confused paranoid weirdo. The benefits are so marginal and the risks are so loving huge but everyone else is just like, "meh I have nothing to hide!"

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

Whereabouts does one find this, please?

Edit: Ah, excuse me. Alexa Account -> Alexa Privacy. I didn't check in 'Account.'

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 18, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Fine by me, Amazon can built their voice recognition on the backs of others. I'll keep my privacy... for now.

This is some silly libertarian poo poo. I'm sure there's some privacy invading thing that you're using that you didn't know about.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Inept posted:

This is some silly libertarian poo poo. I'm sure there's some privacy invading thing that you're using that you didn't know about.

Yesterday I texted gf we should go back to this restaurant, a review of which I saw I left on google. "I've never been there" she says. So I go into google maps, search the place, and find the date we went along with a complete list of places we were on that day, with pictures I took along the way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Yesterday I texted gf we should go back to this restaurant, a review of which I saw I left on google. "I've never been there" she says. So I go into google maps, search the place, and find the date we went along with a complete list of places we were on that day, with pictures I took along the way.

None of that necessarily implies any privacy concerns (though it probably does, because Google). Like, I could search my photo library on an airgapped computer for coordinates and find the date I was at the location taking those photos and it would have basically the same result as what you described. It just sounds like Google Maps is giving it a nice front-end and connecting your use of a couple of services for you, that may be entirely internal to your devices.

But it's probably being used to advertise stuff to you and could expose you to all sorts of security risks. :iiam:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I find the Google poo poo just useful as hell. Sorry everyone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had a cold lately, the other night my dad called and he urged me to get some Buckley's. Had him on speaker phone. Shortly after, gf phone had an ad for the same pop up.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
This is all 100% correlatable. Empirically.

Would the adherents to this statement form a line at my left and those in disagreement to my right?

(Across identities, service platforms, accounts, and warring ecosystems... right? Right??)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

Just because there are some privacy invading aspects of the things you use on a daily basis doesn't mean you should just give up and give everyone anything and is not some "silly libertarian poo poo". That's some silly poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mods please close this derailed thread about a topic that was rendered moot years ago

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alexa, please close the thread. Alexa, confirm

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Just because there are some privacy invading aspects of the things you use on a daily basis doesn't mean you should just give up and give everyone anything and is not some "silly libertarian poo poo". That's some silly poo poo.

I meant being ok with others getting screwed over by not being as savvy as you are about opt-out settings is silly because you're probably missing some opt-outs too.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I shared it here, didn't I? I neither have the time, or the means to tell everyone affected.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The first 15 pages of this thread are an incredible time capsule for anyone who wants to relive the glory of mid-2007s computer chat and for that reason alone, I support it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

The first 15 pages of this thread are an incredible time capsule for anyone who wants to relive the glory of mid-2007s computer chat and for that reason alone, I support it.

I followed this thread and put a ton of work into building a HTPC and perfecting the interface. Then the week after I finished it, the Chromecast was released and I barely touched it again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Medullah posted:

I followed this thread and put a ton of work into building a HTPC and perfecting the interface. Then the week after I finished it, the Chromecast was released and I barely touched it again.

Same for me.. but instead of the Chromecast, it was the Shield. The HTPC got turned into a Plex server.

Shield/Roku/Plex, etc... Where just easier for everyone to use, and didn't need to be messed with all the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

When they added OTA tuner compatibility to the Xbone, I finally said goodbye to Windows Media Center.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Medullah posted:

Fond memories. Well worth it even if you don't use it.

It remember using a broken laptop as an htpc for years.

Now I'm enjoying my Fire TV Basic Edition (also my Nexus Player)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I still have a tower running my theater. It has Plex and is always on. I don't have a NAS so I stuffed 8 TB in it and it has everything I'd ever want to watch. Ive used a Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast. While they're awesome for stays in hotels, they're not robust enough for everything I want a streaming device to do.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug
Still have a computer with an old i7-860 and a few drives. It runs Universal Media Server and SMB shares, and playback is just on the built in media player on my TV, or on my phone after I've gone to bed.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Anyone been able to get RetroArch to work on a shield?
Every time I launch a game it just sits on a black screen, and it’s happened with every core and every rom
I’ve tried. Any ideas?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Mine works, but I have no idea why yours wouldn't. I'm pretty sure I followed directions from their website.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

TomR posted:

Mine works, but I have no idea why yours wouldn't. I'm pretty sure I followed directions from their website.

Can you tell me what cores you use?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats one of the reasons I got a Shield. I haven't used it much for that purpose but when I did, it worked. I'll have a look at it tonight and see how its working.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
ParaLLEI N64
QuickNES
Stella
Virtual Jaguar
Beetle PCE Fast
PicoDrive
Snes9x
Handy
Mednafen Lynx
PCSX ReARMed

Probably a few more but I'm not up on what the best emulators are. I just tried all of them on my Shield and they work. I have a USB hub with a flash drive and controllers plugged in.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

TomR posted:

ParaLLEI N64
QuickNES
Stella
Virtual Jaguar
Beetle PCE Fast
PicoDrive
Snes9x
Handy
Mednafen Lynx
PCSX ReARMed

Probably a few more but I'm not up on what the best emulators are. I just tried all of them on my Shield and they work. I have a USB hub with a flash drive and controllers plugged in.

Thanks everyone. I couldn’t find the problem, but I uninstalled the app and reinstalled including all appropriate cores and now it works fine, so yay!
Now, one core I want is C64 but it seems there’s no way to scan for C64 files. Does that mean there’s no way to add to an C64 playlist?
Sorry if this is not the best thread, I should post in the retro gaming thread instead

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 10, 2019

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Next question: One bit of functionality I loved from my windows HTPC was the ability to have a screensaver that was a randomised photos slideshow from MY photos folder on an SMB share. How do I replicate that on a Shield?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Having a lovely couple hours, lovely evening really. Too frustrated to play games. I'll sit down and watch tv for a change. Turn on some Boondocks on plex on the shield. Your connection is too slow to play the content! The shield and my NAS are 2'away from each other connected to the same gigabit switch! Hahaha! DESTROY! DESTROY!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I have an older server that I'm turning into my Plex server. Media on a NAS. Currently I run my Plex on a Raspberry Pi 3b+.

I have an older 5400 RPM drive that is in the older server to run the OS and Plex software. Would that drive be a bottleneck or slow things down? I think I can get my hands on a faster 7200 RPM drive if I need to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been wanting to set up a home streaming server for a while now. I would ideally like to be able to rip all my disc media such that we can play them as of they were in a player - set up captioning, use the menu, have special features. As far as I'm aware, this would require some format like ISO, but Plex doesn't stream ISOs. Is there some other way to do what I'd like?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you just wanted the movie and its audio/subtitle tracks, converting them to MKV and running Plex (or Kodi) works great. What you're looking for, there isn't really a great solution that doesn't come with a ton of headaches and weird compatibility stuff. I recommend either recalibrating your use case or just using a normal Blu-ray player.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can set up captioning and different audio tracks with mkvs. I do that all the time, mainly for audio commentaries and subs on foreign language films.

The best solution I've found for special features is to rip them separately and stitch them together into a single file, then just add that to your library along with the movie. It's a lot of work and I found I need a full fledged movie editor because the files tend to be in different aspect ratios. I've only done that a handful of times on really in depth features, like the 2+ hour ones about the Alien movies.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

hooah posted:

I've been wanting to set up a home streaming server for a while now. I would ideally like to be able to rip all my disc media such that we can play them as of they were in a player - set up captioning, use the menu, have special features. As far as I'm aware, this would require some format like ISO, but Plex doesn't stream ISOs. Is there some other way to do what I'd like?

I'd give up on streaming ISOs in TYOOL 2019. And menus, because a well set up Plex (or Emby, which I prefer) client/server system will give you a better experience anyway.

Both Plex and Emby support extras (special features) - the paid versions will even add them automatically if they exist on Youtube/etc., and you have the option to add your own local files, such as special features you ripped from the source disk. The clients also support multiple language/audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

Basically, rip the disk with something like MKVToolnix, have it also rip the special features to individual mkv files, and follow the correct naming conventions to insure Plex or Emby picks them up. Takes a bit of work but it isn't that hard and you can easily automate the more tedious aspects of it.

Years ago I bought a couple LG BD drives and ripped nearly 200 of my BD disks over a period of weeks; once I got the process down it just required some babysitting/disk swapping for the most part. I'd usually run it in the background while I was playing a game for a couple hours a day or so.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kodi will play your DVD rips. I've done this myself and I'm watching my Simpsons DVDs and the first two seasons of Venture Brothers. It's not perfect playback (Simpsons seems to start playing in hyper speed whenever a cut scene icon comes up until I rewind back, Venture Brothers season one doesn't show the DVD menu, you have to blind press to start the episodes or get to the special features), but it's like putting your disk in a DVD player otherwise.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug
How is the Shield when it comes to playing stuff like Dolby TrueHD, ATMOS or DTS-X in MKV files? Will it feed these directly to my receiver for decoding, or will it try to mix them up into some PCM stream before handing them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

IUG posted:

Kodi will play your DVD rips. I've done this myself and I'm watching my Simpsons DVDs and the first two seasons of Venture Brothers. It's not perfect playback (Simpsons seems to start playing in hyper speed whenever a cut scene icon comes up until I rewind back, Venture Brothers season one doesn't show the DVD menu, you have to blind press to start the episodes or get to the special features), but it's like putting your disk in a DVD player otherwise.

"not perfect" is doing a lot of work here