Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Wait... it’s been 2 and a half years?

What year is it?

Edit: It’s been a little over 1 and a half. I haven’t lost a year in the White Lodge after all.
Yeah, season 3 ended September of 2017, although with all that's happened since September of 2017, it might as well have been 2 years or more. Sometimes I really have no idea what year it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just watched Lost Highway for the first time and boy was that fun.

Lynch somehow made a soundtrack of Angelo Badalamenti + the mid 90s-est possible industrial/alternative work and not seem out of place, while also having Gary Busey and Henry Rollins playing the 2 most sane characters in the entire cast.

The man is a loving genius is what I'm saying.

Hopefully catching Inland Empire soon since that's the last of his big releases I haven't seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fullroundaction posted:

Hopefully catching Inland Empire soon since that's the last of his big releases I haven't seen.
Oh god are you in for a wild ride :lol:

It makes Lost Highway look tame by comparison!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Hakkesshu posted:

Now that we are so far removed from the season, have there been any good pieces of critical analysis on it? Not talking about endless SEASON 3 ENDING EXPLAINED articles.

I got super hammered over the holidays and wrote a 20 page text message to my buddy about how the lyrics from Once in a Lifetime line up almost 1:1 with season 3.

Then I searched to see if anyone else was as super smart and perceptive as me and it turns out yes, lots of other people have already said this. But I was at least the most emphatic v:mad:v

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god are you in for a wild ride :lol:

It makes Lost Highway look tame by comparison!

I'm in for it :dance:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

eSporks posted:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/03/29/surrealist-objects-in-twin-peaks/

I really liked this article and the comparisons it makes to other surrealist metaphor. At the end of the day the correct way to experience Lynch is to feel it and allow the meaning to be vague.

This is my take yeah. That’s why I rarely dip into Lynch analysis. His art is basically backing up a dump truck to your conscious and subconscious mind and giving you years of stuff to work through.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The truest post good brother

I'm of the camp that FWWM and The Return elevate TP to GOAT status, on the original run alone i don't think it makes top ten.

Just before season 3 came out I finally bit the bullet and watched all of Twin Peaks. Season 1 was great, the start and finish of Season 2 were great, but Fire Walk With Me was goddamn fan-loving-tastic and I still can't believe how much it was panned when it first came out.

Then of course The Return was just near loving perfect (and episode 8 was loving perfect) and now I own everything and it still isn't enough and I want more :stare:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Um

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrTtzTQrv0

FlyLo + David Lynch

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My Lynch fan secret shame is that I still haven't seen Eraserhead or Inland Empire. Think I've seen everything else of significance he's done except Dune.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I got halfway through Eraserhead and then my girlfriend and I had a big blowout breakup.

I don’t think it was because of the movie, but I’m married now so I’m not going to risk it.

Be careful.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

marktheando posted:

My Lynch fan secret shame is that I still haven't seen Eraserhead or Inland Empire. Think I've seen everything else of significance he's done except Dune.

Me is just Dune

Ive been saying Im gonna watch it for years, than I forget

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finally got around to watching Season 3. I put it off for the longest time since I wanted to rewatch the original and actually finish Season 2 and that didn't sound appealing.

Anyways, I loved every moment of this. It took me to that same place Mulholland Drive did, and sustained me there for the couple of days it took me to work through it. It's like you are unable to return to normal world logic for a while, no other show has ever done this to me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

For me it's Inland Empire. I'm saving it for a big occasion!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

zelah posted:

I got halfway through Eraserhead and then my girlfriend and I had a big blowout breakup.

I don’t think it was because of the movie, but I’m married now so I’m not going to risk it.

Be careful.

Once on a first date, we went back to my place and I decided we should watch Mulholland Dr. because I am an insane person.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I still enjoy some “prestige” shows but they all seem so boring and formulaic in comparison now.

I watched the whole of season 3 while i was travelling for work. I was stuck, alone, in high story hotel rooms, hundreds of miles from home with occasional thunderstorms outside.

I don't think i'll ever have the same experience of watching a TV show in my life.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I only watch Lynch movies on my loving PHONE

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The part at the end of part 17 where Laura's mom is smashing the photo is the most terrifying part of the whole series. It owns

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The whole sequence of Cooper driving Carrie Page to Twin Peaks is one of the most unsettling feelings of wrongness I’ve seen in television, and I can’t even quite pinpoint why.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

I only watch Lynch movies on my loving PHONE

It's okay, he shot Inland Empire on his phone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

The whole sequence of Cooper driving Carrie Page to Twin Peaks is one of the most unsettling feelings of wrongness I’ve seen in television, and I can’t even quite pinpoint why.

It was definitely wrong to make us watch that for so long

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm taking advantage of a long weekend to finally do a proper rewatch of season three. I just finished episode eight, and holy gently caress, it's still a masterpiece. I dunno if there's ever gonna be an hour of tv as good as that again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cptn_dr posted:

I'm taking advantage of a long weekend to finally do a proper rewatch of season three. I just finished episode eight, and holy gently caress, it's still a masterpiece. I dunno if there's ever gonna be an hour of tv as good as that again.
Episode 8 is better than most movies!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going to watch Mulholland Drive for the first time since it's on the Criterion Channel. Do I need to be sober or is it not going to make sense either way?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr E posted:

I'm going to watch Mulholland Drive for the first time since it's on the Criterion Channel. Do I need to be sober or is it not going to make sense either way?
I think it took 2 (sober) viewings and a bunch of rumination before it really started to make sense to me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr E posted:

Me I cant watch any David Lynch without being at least a bit stoned

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mr E posted:

I think there s a Eureka moment that is required, but after that its the most straight forward and coherent lynch plot IMO. If you were the judge his movies based on narrative story telling, Mullholland Drive is the best.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me I cant watch any David Lynch without being at least a bit stoned

That's my usual plan too, I rewatched the last two parts of S3 this week and they only made a little more sense than when I watched them stoned. Watched Eraserhead last weekend the same way and I think I mostly "got" it as much as you can get any Lynch thing. Mulholland and Lost Highway are the last two things of his I haven't watched.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

mulholland dr might actually make too much sense, really

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

romanowski posted:

mulholland dr might actually make too much sense, really

Yeah, really. It's a pile of twists, but almost more in a "The Game" kind of way than most of Lynch's other stuff.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I always recommend that Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire be viewed in chronological order of release the first time. They have some things in common, but they build on each other in some ways and introduce concepts that carry through as they go. I don't think I would have got nearly as much out of IE otherwise. Even having some familiarity with Lynch's more recent output (with Straight Story being an obvious outlier), IE present a big jump in "challenge" for lack of a better word.

I'm one of the oddballs who likes Lost highway best out of the three, but they are all amazing in their own right.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I always recommend that Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire be viewed in chronological order of release the first time. They have some things in common, but they build on each other in some ways and introduce concepts that carry through as they go. I don't think I would have got nearly as much out of IE otherwise. Even having some familiarity with Lynch's more recent output (with Straight Story being an obvious outlier), IE present a big jump in "challenge" for lack of a better word.

I'm one of the oddballs who likes Lost highway best out of the three, but they are all amazing in their own right.

Me too. Lost Highway is actually my favorite Lynch movie, maybe because it was the first

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Blue Velvet is my "lost Lynch," for no apparent reason. I own a copy. It's been in my DVD player before, I've had it queued up digitally, and I have no earthly reason for not having seen it. I just...haven't.

My Eraserhead experience was in the barely furnished living room of my first solo apartment. I had a monitor on TV stand, a folding camp chair, and 5.1 surround sound (priorities), and it really helped bring out the feelings of post-college industrial-adulting terror.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Blue Velvet is my favorite Lynch film. Dennis Hopper is so so good. And you can get the excellent Blu-Ray release for $6 right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Velvet-Blu-ray-Kyle-MacLachlan/dp/B005HT400A/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like wild at heart *ducks*

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Blue Velvet is Dale Cooper's origin story.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wild At Heart is my favorite. Willem Dafoe is so gross in it. It’s a lot of fun to watch.

The Straight Story rules too.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just watched Inland Empire. I don't know what to think other than Lynch doesn't deserve Laura Dern. Goddamn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fullroundaction posted:

Just watched Inland Empire. I don't know what to think other than Lynch doesn't deserve Laura Dern. Goddamn.
I'm pretty sure Laura Dern has no idea what that movie's about, but goddamn she's so good in it!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My Eraserhead experience was in the barely furnished living room of my first solo apartment. I had a monitor on TV stand, a folding camp chair, and 5.1 surround sound (priorities), and it really helped bring out the feelings of post-college industrial-adulting terror.

That’s really the ideal way to watch it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

I think there s a Eureka moment that is required, but after that its the most straight forward and coherent lynch plot IMO. If you were the judge his movies based on narrative story telling, Mullholland Drive is the best.
Yeah. I think it's worth watching because it helps introduce the logic of TP season 3. Also I think it's just an excellent film in every respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulholland Drive is probably the Lynch movie I'd recommend to someone who's never seen one but wants to. Well, either that or Blue Velvet, but Mulholland Drive is probably closer to his other work than Blue Velvet. I don't know. Those are probably his 2 most accessible films, though.