Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I think compressors are one of those effects that you could stand to have a couple go-to's for different purposes. I like having a compressor like Devil-Loc that can add a lot of punch and character, but also use Ableton's Glue Compressor (one of my favorite native effects) or a Bus Compressor on groups to tighten things up.

Oh for sure, I guess it's misleading for me to say I only have one of everything, it's more that I have one that is a go-to that will work for pretty much any purpose, I still have a collection of plugins that I know well that I use for more specific purposes. I love Devil-Loc, and yeah I pretty much always use the Ableton compressors when I'm working in there, but I use Reaper about as much as Live and don't have anything I love that's DAW agnostic. I can get by with ReaComp but I'm not crazy about it.

Basically for just about everything else, I've got a plugin I can drop in and get it to do what I want fairly quickly. Comps are the only thing I end up switching between two or three until I'm happy with the results because I don't really have an all-purpose comp that I know I can grab. The nature of a lot of my sound design work is kind of time-restricted so the less mucking about I have to do auditioning plugins, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been working on stuff the past couple days for the first time in a while, and yeah, my most used VSTs are Shimmer, ProQ2 and Decapitator. Well, for effects at least. I've been using Arturia's V Collection for just about all my synth sounds.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been pondering picking up a Valhalla reverb for a while now. Do you guys like VintageVerb or Room more as a versatile, go-to reverb? Been leaning toward VintageVerb but I've seen a lot of people rave about Room as well.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The Elysia Mpressor is one of my fave ever boxes and the software emulations are really good and will kinda do everything cleanly. If you're looking for something cleaner and more flexible to augment a cool character comp like the Devil-Loc or whatever. The EL Arousor is another one that's really flexible but easy to get good sounds out of. I'd take good hard looks at both of those.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Splinter posted:

I've been pondering picking up a Valhalla reverb for a while now. Do you guys like VintageVerb or Room more as a versatile, go-to reverb? Been leaning toward VintageVerb but I've seen a lot of people rave about Room as well.

I like VintageVerb quite a bit more

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2DCAT posted:

I like VintageVerb quite a bit more
Yeah I'd recommend Vintage over Room if I had to pick from the 2.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah I'd recommend Vintage over Room if I had to pick from the 2.

Same. Don't let the Vintage moniker fool you, VVV does modern, clean verb extremely well. They're both great, but Vintage has a little more versatility imo.

muckswirler posted:

The Elysia Mpressor is one of my fave ever boxes and the software emulations are really good and will kinda do everything cleanly. If you're looking for something cleaner and more flexible to augment a cool character comp like the Devil-Loc or whatever. The EL Arousor is another one that's really flexible but easy to get good sounds out of. I'd take good hard looks at both of those.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Amazingly I have a UA interface but haven't ever caught the GAS bug as far as UA plugins are concerned, but maybe I'll grab Mpressor the next time I have a coupon. I got to use a hardware one a few years back and it was great indeed.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

In that case the UA distressor might be good too, but it really depends on if you want more of an iron/transformer vibe or something that will go completely invisible if necessary with a few more interesting options. The mpressor will get clean and punchy in a different way than the distressor.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think Sean has ever once changed pricing on anything after release, he's very particular about them always costing the same amount for everyone. But yeah, Valhalla stuff is so loving good that it's on par with any of the big name releases so you can basically think of them all as permanently $50-$250 off depending on what you want to compare them against. Plate is the only one I can't see myself buying eventually, but only because I don't really use plate verb that much to begin with.

Also, afaik, with Valhalla you get unlimited no questions asked activations for life which is refreshing.

breaks
May 12, 2001

As far as compressors go, I wouldn’t want it as my only one, but the Waves Louder magic knob thing is really surprisingly good on a lot of material.

I wouldn’t reach for it when I have some more specific goal in mind but when it comes to just level this thing out without getting tweaky stuff :shrug:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, the scariest thing about the OneKnob series is that these are legitimately good processors under the hood. I just don't want anyone seeing me using them in sessions :ohdear:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be honest, I've been doing this for years now and I still don't know or understand compressors and how to use them in a real scenario :saddowns:

I mean.. I think I understand the principle but to my ears I can't really hear a difference in 90% of the cases or between different compressors.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
It's a journey for me; I feel like I understand and use compressors now way better than I did ten years ago, but there's still a whole lot of guessing and second-guessing involved. I mean a lot of the time you only even notice compression when it's wrong, so knowing when it's right can be tricky.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I mean a lot of the time you only even notice compression when it's wrong, so knowing when it's right can be tricky.

This applies to pretty much all processing, I like to crank up the compression or do huge 12db eq boosts, and then tone it down until it sounds natural. People often assume compression is something you HAVE to do just because, but that's often even not the case when you're dealing with sequenced music or a really good musician who knows how to adjust his own dynamics.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

In a lot of cases it's because a software compressor is a software compressor and they only get interesting around the fringes. In hardware you have trannies and tubes and transistors and layout and vintage chemistry issues and dirty pots and design quirks. The way those things add up in hardware make things like the 1176 or LA-3A different from a Fairchild 670 or Manley Vari-Mu.

When you're emulating those things in software it's the opposite type of process. You start with a 'perfect' algorithm and trim away at it and add nonlinearity.

Compressors are frequently used with very little compression just for the overall vibe more than for actual corrective work. If you want to figure out how they sound different you really can't beat crushing a drum subgroup or room mic. It'll give you an overall flavor for the compression of that particular plugin. Then just use them to shade different parts the way you like.

Limiting loudness is a whole different thing and pulling a few dB from every track to boost the overall level is best done with simple per channel clean compressors. It's why you have consoles with a dynamics section by channel. Follow the attack and release of your source, make sure you aren't too noisy and remember that high frequency transients develop quicker than low frequency ones and adjust your attack times accordingly to let through what you want to let through.

The other thing with hardware that you can't do in software is hit the input of the compressor over unity and come out at an appropriate level without a makeup gain stage. That makes it easier to hear the sound of the box because you hear the either slight overdrive character or the input headroom in action.

So for a per channel compressor something clean and flexible and predictable. For something you're trying to make a sound with, either abuse the plugin or find a dirty plugin that you like and just barely kiss it.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Valhalla Delay was so worth 50 $ - That sound is like hot.. hot hot hot like cornballer hot.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

Oh boy a new Arturia V Collection

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

badCombina posted:

Goddamn it, the last two collections I've put my foot down and said "well they'll have to put something really fantastic in if I'm gonna bother upgrading" and both times they've modeled stuff that I've always dreamed of owning but would never buy in hardware form. Guess I'm getting this one too, eventually...

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It’s not showing me my price for being a previous customer. mellotron and cz are pretty good gets for them though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

It’s not showing me my price for being a previous customer. mellotron and cz are pretty good gets for them though.

I got quoted $200, which is the same I paid to upgrade from 5 to 6.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hows the Synthi V?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

badCombina posted:

Splice just added this to their rent to own plans, btw.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Splice just added this to their rent to own plans, btw.

God dammit, I just put money into the Analog Lab bucket just to have it go rent to own.
But I do feel a bit comfortable just owning Analog Lab to get them sweet sweet presets and rent to own the whole shebang in the future.
Still a good deal.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FWIW the Rent to Own is at the list price for the collection ($500) but you can get it for at least $100 off if you dig a bit. It's $400 at Sweetwater right now. Splice also won't (or rather, probably can't) honor upgrade pricing through RTO so if you have a previous version you'll get it much cheaper through Arturia.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Soundtoys PrimalTap is $29 for the next two days.

Soundtoys.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can y'all tell me about Artillery? I saw it featured in this Reverb video yesterday and it looks like one of those plugins that once I get, I'd never be able to live without:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCKJVtRZVo

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Glitchmachines' Polygon is on sale for $5

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1912

It's kind of opaque, and the GUI is getting long in the tooth, but you can quickly generate some bonkers noises with it, and perhaps something musical (if you're weird like that)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
T-Force Alpha Plus 2 was released. It's a free synth that has some incredibly clean sounds. Lots of options to play with. Trance Gate. Effects. It's a keeper.

The only bad thing is a small amount of presets, but some of the sounds I've been dialing in are insanely nice sounding. He's taking submissions for presets if you come up with any.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/t-force-alpha-plus-2-by-mastrcode-music

(He has no web site, and it's facebook otherwise)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It's kind of opaque, and the GUI is getting long in the tooth, but you can quickly generate some bonkers noises with it, and perhaps something musical (if you're weird like that)

Glitchmachines stuff is so weird, the plugins are objectively kind of ponderous to use because the interface is so arcane, but I nearly always manage to stumble into something awesome, mostly by accident. If the demos sound like they'd be useful to you, they probably will be, if only by sheer luck and randomness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Ooooh, I'm scoring a game that will involve a LOT of glitch and glitch-like effects, so this is awesome :toot: Not necessarily traditional, 'musical' glitches, but just hosed up audio in general.

And if it doesn't end up helping out, hey, it's $5!

EDIT: Ooh, free Sphere Delay! Never heard of it, and now I own it!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 3, 2019

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Apparently GM are planning to update all their GUIs to modern standards (resizeable, readable etc) if this post from KVR is reliable -

For example here's the old Convex GUI

And here's the new one.

Fingers crossed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This is well worth 5 bucks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Glitchmachines also has a couple of very useful free effects for glitchy type stuff. I'm phoneposting and don't feel like looking them up but I'm pretty sure Hysteresis and Fracture are both free.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Glitchmachines also has a couple of very useful free effects for glitchy type stuff. I'm phoneposting and don't feel like looking them up but I'm pretty sure Hysteresis and Fracture are both free.

:hai:

Also Inear Display (who I think are related in some way to GM?) have a few good freebies, too.

Regressif

https://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/regressif/

Plus some older unsupported 'legacy' plugins. Any one of which can gently caress up your sounds.

https://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/legacy/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can y'all tell me about Artillery? I saw it featured in this Reverb video yesterday and it looks like one of those plugins that once I get, I'd never be able to live without:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCKJVtRZVo

NI's The Finger is IMO better as far as it does mostly the same thing. Generally I prefer using poo poo like Effectrix and Glitch2, if you're sequencing the effects the workflow is pretty similar, but everything stays within one window. Less context switching when you're loving around

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just downloaded Regressif and tried it on some synth drums. its pretty cool sounding and really easy to use.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Anyone familiar with Arturia VSTs?

If I were to buy an Arturia Minimoog V2 license (second hand) would I be able to upgrade it to the latest version (V3.x) and how much would it be?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Back to the Valhalla chat, now that people have had time to play with it further how are people finding Valhalla Delay? Does anyone have some solid tips for sitting it into the mix? I really enjoy playing with it, its really musical and responsive - but it doesnt seem to fit in the mix that well as an effect opposed to an instrument if that makes sense? It might be that I am so accustomed to my old jank but it doesnt want to be back in the mix compared to said jank, I feel like I'm missing something? Probably obvious?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Back to the Valhalla chat, now that people have had time to play with it further how are people finding Valhalla Delay? Does anyone have some solid tips for sitting it into the mix? I really enjoy playing with it, its really musical and responsive - but it doesnt seem to fit in the mix that well as an effect opposed to an instrument if that makes sense? It might be that I am so accustomed to my old jank but it doesnt want to be back in the mix compared to said jank, I feel like I'm missing something? Probably obvious?

What type of track are you using the delay on (guitar, vocal, etc.)? I would maybe try setting up a Send and then fine-tuning the wet/dry blend that way. You have more control that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Valhalla Delay rules. I've only used it on a couple instruments so far but it's magnificent just like Valhalla's other products. It's simple and easy to use. I'm definitely gonna use it more in the future.