Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

President Ark posted:

am I crazy or is the rival character (goode or whatever) the same VA as victor saltzpyre from vermintide

I hadn't thought about it, but you're totally right--Edvard sounds a hell of a lot like Saltzpyre.

George Smith is almost certainly voiced by Tom Clarke Hill, who voiced Hector in 2070. I WANT to say that Von Malching is Vadim Sokow with a different accent but that's probably just me associating the two fat ruthless capitalists with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mazz posted:

https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/

Best one I found so far, you have to put in the actual resident counts and not just number of houses, which is why I keep emphasizing building/upgrading housing in sets of 10 or something you can easily keep track of.

The UI falls way short on data like production or consumption totals currently so organizing yourself from the start helps immensely later on.

I really hope they address that lack of presented data with patches/DLC but thats another post.

It tells you how many of each resident you have if you hover over...something along the top bar. I'm not at home to check at the moment.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Triarii posted:

It tells you how many of each resident you have if you hover over...something along the top bar. I'm not at home to check at the moment.

It's right next to the income.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Triarii posted:

Yes but that’s only current residents and not total housing available. Housing without fully met needs do not have their full occupancy. You might have 4613 people currently but the housing for 4800 on the map, and that might be enough difference for another farm. What’s more important is this includes several services, finally getting that church or school built might mean you have 600 more people to supply than you did 30 seconds ago.

Knowing the number of houses you have lets you plan properly and not constantly react to population/supply swings.

If I have 300 farmer houses I put 3000 farmers into the calc and then don’t need to touch the calc again till I add/upgrade houses. That I only have the market coverage for 2964 pops is irrelevant.

This only gets more important as you go up in tier since the higher levels add 10 people per house each. What worked for 3000 farmers will not work for 2000 farmers and 2000 workers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 18, 2019

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mazz posted:

The best solution to this I know of currently is determining the exact amount you need on each island, and the time it takes the boat to do the round trip. The game unfortunately doesn’t provide enough of this data at all but the online production calculator should provided you put in the right inputs.
That's a terrible solution! You'd have to adjust it manually each time your population changes, and travel time is variable!

I can believe that that is the only real solution currently but jeeze... it really just makes me realize how important it is to make sure your early colonies can support potatoes. Before I was prioritizing hops and wheat so I could just make beer on my first colony and send it back, but it looks like just sending hops is a way better way to do it. And if the wheat takes up too much space on my home island send the drat wheat there too. Transporting consumables is not fun.

Which leaves sausages. I think the slaughterhouses are ugly so you can't even import live pigs and kill them on your main island if you want to keep it pristine, and you need workers to run the slaughterhouses and they eat the sausage themselves. I mean, I guess I can have slightly unsatisfied workers on my shithole island.

Wait, for my current situation I just realized I could make a surplus of potatoes, send them to my beer island and make the schnaps there! Brillaint[ly stupid]!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Eiba posted:

That's a terrible solution! You'd have to adjust it manually each time your population changes, and travel time is variable!

Yeah needing to support pops on your spoke islands definitely complicates things, so trying to find the most reasonable solution is something I’m going to mess with this week.

I’m hoping between the calculator and knowing my housing totals easily it won’t be too bad, but until I get steam ships and extra harbor docks in place it’s gonna suck bad on the shipping side.

Also your potato solution is the same thing I was describing, assuming you are using potatoes at that place too. Unless you get the amount you’re sending close to demand between trips they’ll just build up in the warehouse and pull away from the first island, potentially cutting supply there. Thankfully you can eyeball it pretty close after a couple trips without being too exact.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 18, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is there an opposite calculator than the one that gets posted? I don't want to have to input number of people, I'd rather just know "Each fishery feeds X people".

Also, can someone explain how electricity works and what I have to do with it? I just got it, and the tool tips are giving me no real understanding of why I should give a drat about it.

The lack of information within this game is incredibly frustrating.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there an opposite calculator than the one that gets posted? I don't want to have to input number of people, I'd rather just know "Each fishery feeds X people".

Also, can someone explain how electricity works and what I have to do with it? I just got it, and the tool tips are giving me no real understanding of why I should give a drat about it.

The consumption rates are in the XML and I’m surprised nobody has just laid them out but they prob will. It gets complicated as the different tiers often have different consumption rates in that 1 fishery might feed 80 farmers but 120 workers. One thing you can do immediately is punch in say 200 workers into the calc and then +/- out where the fishery is at 100% utilization. Still tedious but you’ll get your number.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 18, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

skeleton warrior posted:

These are the production chains is that what you want?. You'll have to math it out to figure out how many people a fishery feeds though, as the game is traditionally not approached that way. You normally want to know what your peeps want.

Sorry can't help you with electricity, was just getting started before the plague or its equivalent wiped out most of my city.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

skeleton warrior posted:

Mayveena posted:

These are the production chains is that what you want?. You'll have to math it out to figure out how many people a fishery feeds though, as the game is traditionally not approached that way. You normally want to know what your peeps want.

Sorry can't help you with electricity, was just getting started before the plague or its equivalent wiped out most of my city.

Thanks for posting the wiki, the production chains doesn’t show it but the specific pages do.

https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Fishery

Looks like the rates per tier don’t change either this time, but the total needs will double because of the pop increase per house.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey guys. Watch the credits.

The magic lies in the checksum. :stare:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Most non-farm production buildings can use electricity. (Anything with the small electric icon in the bottom of their ui, or the 'improved by electricity' mention in their building tooltip in the building menu.')

Buildings with access to electricity get a flat, +100% production boost.
No extra maintenance cost, no extra workforce, just 2x production right off the bat.

Every building just works twice as fast, which massively reduces your factory footprint and workforce requirement, not to mention your maintenance.

Engineers also demand electricity as their second-to-last necessity, and a couple factories also demand electricity to function at all.
(Pretty sure any building that requires electricity to function is exempt from the +100%.)

(Like all bonuses it's additive instead of multiplicative.
So if you're overworking your workers to push out 50% more steel for example, the end result will be 100+100+50 = 250% production speed. Not (100+50)*2 = 300%.)

e: And like all services, electricity travels farther on stone roads than dirt ones. So you can reach quite a few dozen factories with a single power plant.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Cool, thank you so much!

Follow on questions:

Does the production increase increase output or throughput? If my factory is running at 200%, do I need to give it 200% of input as well?

What do I need to connect railroads to, and will they overlap roads or are they their own specific thing?

If the latter, I may re-start my current sandbox game because I built all of my industry close to the mines, which turns out to be on the complete opposite end of my island from my oil fields.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Production increases require extra inputs because it reduces the time between items being made. The calcuator is adjustable by percentage so you can play with this a little there before doing it.

Not sure on the others.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lol from all the posts it seems like just winging it is a thousand times easier than using the calculator

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Cool, thank you so much!

Follow on questions:

Does the production increase increase output or throughput? If my factory is running at 200%, do I need to give it 200% of input as well?

What do I need to connect railroads to, and will they overlap roads or are they their own specific thing?

If the latter, I may re-start my current sandbox game because I built all of my industry close to the mines, which turns out to be on the complete opposite end of my island from my oil fields.

Throughput/work speed. 2x as much in, 2x as much out.

Railroads only connect to themselves and railroad-enabled buildings, like the power plant, oil harbour, etc. They have a glowing orange exit to show where their rail connection is.

Railroads are entirely their own thing, the only interaction they have with roads is crossing over them/road crossings across them.. (And also as an annoying thing, they'll make a railway crossing over 1-tile wide roads, but not over 2-tile wide roads. Which is ehhh. )

So you'll need to move your factories, or make a long rail-line. But why would that warrant restarting the sandbox game?
Getting electricity is very much the game announcing that this would be a great time to rebuild older industries to make use of it.
Or expanding to new islands to set up significantly more efficient island-wide factories.

HORMELCHILI posted:

Lol from all the posts it seems like just winging it is a thousand times easier than using the calculator

Absolutely, wing it and correct when it's obvious things are being over/underproduced.
Even if you perfectly match up everything to the calculator, some fire or plague is just going to throw a wrench into things.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

HORMELCHILI posted:

It’s not in the end because you’ll constantly be guessing up with resources, especially in the later tiers. The calcuator sounds complicated and my wordy posts don’t help at all but it’s really just punching in a number and getting the output so you know what to build. The opposite is easier until you have to deal with a lack of clothing or schnapps or fur coats for the 6th time. There’s slightly more up front effort but that’s so you only need to do that once or twice.

Winging it is an entirely valid route though, and fun it it’s own way.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 18, 2019

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

Personally I've only bothered with a calculator when my dudes unlock a new demand like fur coats or whatever and I don't have the vaguest idea how many factories I would need to build to satisfy them.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

SubNat posted:

So you'll need to move your factories, or make a long rail-line. But why would that warrant restarting the sandbox game?
Getting electricity is very much the game announcing that this would be a great time to rebuild older industries to make use of it.
Or expanding to new islands to set up significantly more efficient island-wide factories.

THE NEXT SET OF ISLANDS WILL BE DESIGNED BETTER

Honestly, I don't want to spend the next two hours hunting through my islands, finding things, and moving them. I've stopped with quests for that reason. Also, I designed a beautiful port area, and a trashy industrial area port area, and of course the oil fields are right next to the beautiful port area.

edit: There's also a lot else probably poorly designed in my islands and in my layout that I can approach better. And this is my standard way of playing - by the time I start to unlock later tiers, I'm both overwhelmed with how much there is to manage and bored with the sameness, so starting new islands gets me back to the fun challenging parts.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 18, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HORMELCHILI posted:

More fun too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive always just winged it, anno isn't that hard a game (even on expert)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I always play these games with an excess of perfectionism/organization and such, anyone who reads the ONI thread has seen that firsthand. I totally get it’s not for everyone but I figure I’ll share that stuff nonetheless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 18, 2019

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I mostly wing it and it works out ok. My philosophy is to over build and trade off the excess. Then I build mass amounts of storage and keep a nice buffer of supplies on hand so that I can see when stuff is starting to run out. Rinse and repeat. Especially now that I can just temporarily blast my production up to 150% with working hour sliders this seems like an easily workable strategy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

HORMELCHILI posted:

I use the calculator because I don’t pay enough attention. When I get new buildings I recalibrate using the calculator. Too many crises have taught me I’m not fit to just wing like many people. The game doesn’t force the use either.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I prefer to wing it, but it’s hard to wing when I have no sense of scale for production. Knowing that fisheries feed 800 people makes it a lot easier to rule of thumb what I need and when.

Also, Mazz, keep posting your perfectionist take, I like seeing how you approach things.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mazz posted:

Also your potato solution is the same thing I was describing, assuming you are using potatoes at that place too. Unless you get the amount you’re sending close to demand between trips they’ll just build up in the warehouse and pull away from the first island, potentially cutting supply there. Thankfully you can eyeball it pretty close after a couple trips without being too exact.
Nope- Potatoes go right into schnapps factories without touching a warehouse, if you're doing it right. Overproduced potatoes shouldn't be taken out of warehouses unless something's gone wrong at your schnaps factories.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So as soon as I start making GBS threads out cannons I should colonize every island, right?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Eiba posted:

Nope- Potatoes go right into schnapps factories without touching a warehouse, if you're doing it right. Overproduced potatoes shouldn't be taken out of warehouses unless something's gone wrong at your schnaps factories.

I see what you mean now, let me know if that actually works out, I've never tried to balance it like that.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Compared with Anno 1404 i'm actually pretty overwhelmed with how much is going on and how much i'm having to change how I play. I'm too used to just plopping down warehouses and building my own little enclosed chains and adding on top of that having to set up farmer colonies on other islands and holy poo poo it's a lot to digest. Definitely going to take a bit of getting used to.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

vandalism posted:

So as soon as I start making GBS threads out cannons I should colonize every island, right?

Once you get workers, you can buy steel beams from the farting diplomat guy. Buy 8 ASAP so you can colonize a second island before you even get your steel and weapons industries up and running.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I don't see the downside to guessing up either, if your population numbers arent getting hosed. Excess goods is almost always beneficial in this game

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

By Imperial decree, the festivities will no longer include a bonfire:

Seriously guys, what part of "Stop setting poo poo on fire!" do you not understand!?

Also I just did a mission to find an artisan's daughter who was busy teaching the Von Trip children how to sing (you get no bonus points for guessing the reference).

The reward I got? An epic tier "Chef Micheal" that makes canneries accept pigs instead of Goulash. :stare:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: next anno game: i actually kinda want either a far future colonization of another planet game or maybe something in an original fantasy (non-earth) setting, either could be neat

quote:

The reward I got? An epic tier "Chef Micheal" that makes canneries accept pigs instead of Goulash.

how do those work, because i've socketed a guy who claims he makes bakeries take grain instead of flour but i still have to build mills because the bakeries still want flour

(yes, i've built a trade union and put him in it)

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, distilleries have a tendency to explode sometimes. That causes nearby buildings to catch fire, and fire increases the chance of nearby buildings also catching fire or exploding, and that can cause a chain reaction of distilleries exploding if you just lump them all together. A lot of industrial buildings can catch fire as well, but the ones that can explode are definitely the worst.

President Ark posted:

how do those work, because i've socketed a guy who claims he makes bakeries take grain instead of flour but i still have to build mills because the bakeries still want flour

(yes, i've built a trade union and put him in it)

Any items in a trade union only affect the buildings within the union's radius. So if you build bakeries close enough to the trade union, they will take grain instead of flour, but all the other bakeries on the island will still want flour.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That's really all you gotta do. Are the bakeries within range of the trade union?
As you can see here I've got my own little cluster of bakeries (complete with a second specialist that halves their upkeep)

And when you click on the bakery itself you see it takes wheat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
oh, i'm used to past anno games where those sorts of items were islandwide

(thank god for being able to move buildings)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Game is good, but why do power lines spawn in the middle of the street?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Von Malching is a hilarious epic gamer. He calls everyone greasy plebs, and he gave me a -4 relationship after he "looked into my heritage".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a way for me to turn off the internet connectivity? It's actually noticeably lowering my stream quality when I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You can do offline mode in Uplay.