Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trevor Hale posted:

The biggest slow motion car crash in the world is watching an actor log on to twitter to ask what everyone thought of the episode when the fandom is already up in arms.

Poor Arjun.

many crys? i can't read the comments for some reason, so i need a twitter account to see them?
e: nevermind i was clicking on the wrong bit

After watching this just now i feel real sorry for Stella Maeve's AMA tomorrow.... will be tuning in for the car crash

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I take back all the bad things I said about Q.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Whalley posted:

I was just loving ugly crying for the last fifteen minutes straight. I have a headache. This is the best show on TV, I don't care what that says about me

loving :same: Jesus Christ. That's the hardest I've cried in years and my eyes still hurt.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Quentin, Josh and Fen..... Rip out my heart why don’t you.
Though I’m sure Fen and Josh will be back.

I kinda felt bad for the monster at the end while he was starting to see the good in existence and then thwack! Magic axe to the stomach and now I’m imprisoned in a bottle and on my way to be thrown in an eternal void.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m not crying the mirror is leaking shut up

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got downvoted to oblivion on reddit for saying it was a good episode and it didn't make me cry, lol.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Pretty wild stuff, I like that repairing things didn't come into play by him mending the containers for the monsters, that was a nice bit of playing with expectations there. Certainly just about the boldest move they could make there, but it's still gonna be a real fun show. I feel like after the stakes of the last few seasons we'll actually see it tone down a bit, maybe have the cast acting more independently trying to resolve their particular conflicts.

In a show that very much explicitly has time travel and multiple timelines as a thing and more than a few reasons to use flashbacks I feel like we'll definitely see Quentin again in small doses, but probably barely if at all in the next season, and it's always fun to bring the character back for a big deal series finale thing at the end, even if it's just something involving everyone meeting in the afterlife Lost style. I could also see some evil magician on the level of Martin Chatwin taking on Quentin's appearance to mess with everyone because they really pissed him or her off. A lot of that is really just cheating to get an actor back on the show, and it's easier to make it cheesy and dumb than it do well, but this show's done enough well that I think any times he pops up from here on out will be executed well.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

This episode had terrible pacing. It felt more like an extended recap than an actual episode. Everything was rushed with weird jump-cuts and no time to build up tension. None of the emotional moments landed because they weren't given any time to develop. Every plot point was resolved in 5 seconds before the episode moved on to the next one. The song felt almost like a parody of sad scenes.

Disappointing writing this season, especially this finale.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
That ending was pretty loving incredible and even if I was vaguely frustrated earlier in the season I don't really think they could have done much to get me even more on board than I already was. It was sad, but beautiful, and I'm gonna need to take a bit to chill.

Or nah. I immediately go on Twitter and realize it's a huge loving mistake. People are framing the situation as a suicide, though I think that 1. I don't think it's fair to claim the circumstance to be the same as the real world when they all literally know that existence continues after death. And 2. It's literally the point of the ending to the episode that it wasn't suicide.

Looking forward to the AMA, today.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Gonna take this seriously for a second, Quentin's arc this season was pretty great. Great acting and everything is pretty tidy at the end. It's unfortunate he died considering everyone has done stupid things to save the world, but one of them had to go.

@Pagey - yeah, the whole thing about people being upset about suicide is pretty loving weird. Like, poo poo is serious, but many of the characters dealt with suicide and depression. Quentin was "the suicide guy" to some folks, and for them it's pretty bogus Q sac'd himself, but to them I think it's loving crazy if you're defining someone by their depression and suicidal tendencies. Dude lived a life and a half with magic, completed his life dream of seeing Fillory, completed his second life dream of being a seafaring magician, and he killed a god. Q still was some Harry Potter fan dork, but like... I guess that only bothers folks like me.

I hope the Magicians cast is prepared to field questions and defend the decisions of the writers/directors/Jason Ralph, tho. I would not be able to defend against entitled folks who liked Quentin. TBH, uh, I feel like a lot of folks who liked Q and saw themselves in him, and uh... yeah.

Edit: re vv Q was Elliot's most boring romance of which there were many and supposedly will be many more.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 18, 2019

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
on tumblr they seem mad about it because they were robbed of a queer romance

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Tokubetsu posted:

There's definitely a good deal of that, too, from what I've seen, though I actually think the criticism about the way the queer romance was handled is justified, at least in a more metatextual sense. In-text, it's heartbreaking and very REAL that Eliot's realization that he does love Q comes at a point where it's already catapulting towards catastrophe in one way or another. Which, I guess, is the entire series, but everything Q did was to save Eliot, and his friends, and it's pretty much one of the most perfect series-wide arcs I've ever seen.

Metatextually, there's a huge amount of criticism to be said about having a queer relationship represented in such a hopeful and realistic (sans magic) way, only to have it functionally ignored post-Peaches and Plus Motherfucker. Especially with the Alice plot at the end--which I genuinely think I would have preferred to finish in a kind of mutual respect and affection, but I don't think it's out of character for Q since he's never not been in love with Alice, he was just hurt by her.

There's going to be a lot of conversation coming up about Queerbaiting and BuryYourGays, primarily because of just how 11/10 the Life in a Day and Eliot-centric episode from this season were. For queer viewers, seeing a queer romance play out without toxicity has (functionally) never been done in a genre show before, and even if the plot was important and satisfying, it sucks to have the potential for that kind of catharsis set up and have it mostly ignored otherwise. I'm sure next season it'll be a focal point, if the interviews I've read are a thing, but that's next season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokubetsu posted:

tumblr.txt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god.

Edit: As someone who actively wanted and tried to die in my teens, this just cut me right to the goddamned core.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I wanted to see the long piglike creature the metro card lets you board not some arch thing

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ThePagey posted:

There's definitely a good deal of that, too, from what I've seen, though I actually think the criticism about the way the queer romance was handled is justified, at least in a more metatextual sense. In-text, it's heartbreaking and very REAL that Eliot's realization that he does love Q comes at a point where it's already catapulting towards catastrophe in one way or another. Which, I guess, is the entire series, but everything Q did was to save Eliot, and his friends, and it's pretty much one of the most perfect series-wide arcs I've ever seen.

Metatextually, there's a huge amount of criticism to be said about having a queer relationship represented in such a hopeful and realistic (sans magic) way, only to have it functionally ignored post-Peaches and Plus Motherfucker. Especially with the Alice plot at the end--which I genuinely think I would have preferred to finish in a kind of mutual respect and affection, but I don't think it's out of character for Q since he's never not been in love with Alice, he was just hurt by her.

There's going to be a lot of conversation coming up about Queerbaiting and BuryYourGays, primarily because of just how 11/10 the Life in a Day and Eliot-centric episode from this season were. For queer viewers, seeing a queer romance play out without toxicity has (functionally) never been done in a genre show before, and even if the plot was important and satisfying, it sucks to have the potential for that kind of catharsis set up and have it mostly ignored otherwise. I'm sure next season it'll be a focal point, if the interviews I've read are a thing, but that's next season.

Absolutely agree about the Alice stuff. They definitely have a lot of work to do with Elliott going forward.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wow I knew I loved this show but I didn't really realise how much until I was desperately googling whether it had been renewed for S5 while holding back tears. What an incredible episode, so glad they've renewed it.

Historically the show has found it extremely hard to kill off characters, I'm really surprised that they've permanently killed off Q. Such a ballsy move, considering he was such a central character - but personally I prefer many of the other characters so it'll still be strong without him.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 18, 2019

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I've been rewatching that ending all day.

Also have this on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKM3mGt2pE

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Chalks posted:

while holding back tears.
What? Holding back? You're a monster!

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I went back and rewatched it to see if there was one moment in particular that got me, and I can mostly hold it together right up until Eliot shows up and Q makes that loving FACE and then suddenly I'm in tears.

Jason Ralph really knocked it the gently caress out of the park for the acting in the singing scene.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i rather hoped quentin would end up in a 4th-dimensional position like jane chatwin, but it's nice to see the lad avoid dithering in the underworld. no eternity-oaths, no bowling, just through and on to...whatever.

with him gone there's room for the dean to shine, and i cannot wait

especially in a world of High Magic thanks to quentin's excellent mirror-based exit

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

ThePagey posted:

I went back and rewatched it to see if there was one moment in particular that got me, and I can mostly hold it together right up until Eliot shows up and Q makes that loving FACE and then suddenly I'm in tears.

Jason Ralph really knocked it the gently caress out of the park for the acting in the singing scene.

Seriously this. He captured that moment so goddamn well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's just this thing that I love so much.

Q finds out his specialty and he thinks it's useless, the same thing he has regarded himself as his entire life. And then his tiny, useless skill saves his friends and really, the whole of reality.

I rather like that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It was such a painful episode but it was really worth it because it was so well done. Loved the minor mending bit, it fitted so perfectly and unexpectedly. I really like that they spent a good 15 minutes at the end of the episode giving you closure about Q's death. So many shows have a sudden twist like that right at the end of the episode but I really appreciated the way it was done here.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
If magic comes from pain, we're all magicians today.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I could also see some evil magician on the level of Martin Chatwin taking on Quentin's appearance to mess with everyone because they really pissed him or her off.

Its really a shame they got rid of Q-Beast as early as they did, him sniffing around a timeline suddenly full of way more magic than normal would have been a great season.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Tokubetsu posted:

that's why i'm upset but it's not cuz of tumblr.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wow. That is all I have.

Just wow.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Elliot joining the campfire dirge broke me. I'm so happy they got to spend one lifetime together but thats not enough :cry:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Loved the ep and wow, I always thought most fans didn't really like or were annoyed by Q.

Can't wait to see the reaction if/when they get rid of one of the actual fan favorite characters.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ThePagey posted:

This was very well said. I think a lot of people are unfairly dismissing this because they are mostly seeing the criticism on twitter and tumblr. But the thing is, this is so common that it is a trope in itself. Queer character on a tv show finally finds happiness and love, only to be killed off immediately after. It happens all the time on these types of shows.

That said, the episode was still very well done, and I can understand that the showrunners said that Quentin had completed his story arc.

I was also reading a lot into all of the interviews with the show runners today. They were very careful with their language. They made sure to say that Jason Ralph is no longer a series regular, but never said he would never be back on the show again. One interviewer asked them if we would ever see an alternate timeline of Quentin again, and they said that right now there are no plans. But given the way that the show has always managed to bring back characters from the dead, and the fact that HBO did the same thing with Jon Snow before bringing him back, makes me hopeful that we will see Quentin again, and eventually Queliot.

My theory: Quentin will be absent from almost the entirety of season 5 as the rest of the cast try and find themselves in this multiverse without his presense, only for him to show up in the final 10 seconds of the season finale, leaving us with a massive cliffhanger.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Binging the last 5 episodes made the ending a bit obvious. Still cried like a baby.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I still remember when I first started watching the show how I thought it was going to end up being the wacky adventures of Quinten with magic and maybe we’d get an episode focused on other characters occasionally. What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
It was so, so beautiful and touching to see Penny and Quentin share some genuine, sweet kindness with each other. I had no idea how much I needed to see some closure on that particular relationship, and they have both come so much further with themselves than where they started. To see them show comfort with each other really brings forth that same comfort in me, in a very profound way.

So many other thoughts and feelings, especially regarding how relevant Julia & Penny's story also becomes in a suicide attempt context, but that is a much, much longer post.

Thank you, Arjun. You were incredible. 💚

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

XboxPants posted:

It was so, so beautiful and touching to see Penny and Quentin share some genuine, sweet kindness with each other.

Thank you, Arjun. You were incredible. 💚

Holy gently caress I can't believe that in my feelings about how things with Q went I forgot to mention how AMAZING OG Penny's become. Like, it's so loving cathartic to see him having grown into a genuine, caring person once he realized that, in the end, all of that bluster and bravado only served to highlight how much he felt he needed to protect himself. I've seen Arjun's videos and listened to his podcast stuff, and honestly it feels like he was barely acting in that scene, which made it all the more genuine. Dude's just a genuinely lovely and caring guy, and him applying that to Penny was amazing.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Ok so I found it overall emotionally affecting, but the back third of the season did not satisfy on the Eliot and Q romance front. Their story was tender and kind and loving in a way that media basically never allows masc relationships to be*; It was a great season, but I wish they had structured things to give a bit more screen time to that arc

* yeah hi, scifi channel, i'd like to buy 1 of those endless loop fireplace videos that netflix has during the holdidays, but it's zoomed out and Quentin is resting his head in Eliot's lap. There are peaches nearby

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Oh and the effects in The Magicians are somehow better than whatever HBO is trying to pull with those dollar store green screen dragon riding scenes with the queen

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012
Well it's been nice, but I'm tired of aesthetically pleasing queer tragedy. I wanted the show to be about my teenage fantasy of magic, not my teenage fantasy of dying and being at peace.

I might watch the next season, but I won't be as invested. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Watched this episode yesterday evening, and was treated to emotionally traumatic nightmares all night.

Thanks Magic Ians!