Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Regular maintenance and high quality in initial construction really helps keep something old around for a long time, though. Like the Parthenon example above I gave, most of the stones (and the façade with the inscription of Marcus Vipsanius fuckin' Agrippa from over 2,000 years ago!) are still the originals or the ones put in almost 1,900 years ago.

As relates to current events, Notre Dame was in dire need of serious TLC even before the fire last week, especially because the mid-1800s renovation was pretty poorly done. So a lot of renovations even beyond the basic repairs to the roof, spire, and vault are going to get done now that might have still languished. It's a silver lining, at least.

e: I thought some human brain cells lasted a lifetime even if most got replaced on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It should be an opportunity to improve history when adding to it, Cio-style. Better history! Blastier! Sexier!

It's not without precedent.
https://twitter.com/atlasobscura/status/1032064307247435777

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

^^^

That's a high quality gargoyle.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Constant renovations can be very cool, it gives us places like Cardiff Castle, where parts of the fort foundations are Roman from the 3rd century, Normans built an interior keep in the 11th century, and part of the structure was progressively renovated into a gothic revival mansion into the late 1800s. Now you can see a huge range of the city's history in a neat architectural cross-section.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

fritz posted:

Ben Grimm is the closest to Royalty among the Fantastic Four but I've been out of marvel comics to know who the most Royal in that whole universe is.

Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner. IMPERIOUS REX and a furious idiot.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

habeasdorkus posted:

That's a high quality gargoyle.

Vader's on the national cathedral.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/darth-vader-grotesque

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I love that he's adjacent to just a normal rear end racoon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

His name is Rocket!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The little itty bitty arms really make it for me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Apparently the Lancer kicistarter is nearly at a quarter of a million. I'm sure a lot of that will be lost to production costs and fees, but Iit should still be a hell of a payday for our boy Operant. Very well earned in my opinion!

Edit: Oh, he's just one of various artists, for some reason I thought it was a solo project haha

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 19, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Edit: Oh, he's just one of various artists, for some reason I thought it was a solo project haha

Well, it's originally his project, and he hired those other artists.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Well, it's good news in any case.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fish Noise posted:

It should be an opportunity to improve history when adding to it, Cio-style. Better history! Blastier! Sexier!

It's not without precedent.
https://twitter.com/atlasobscura/status/1032064307247435777

The National Cathedral in Washington has similar ones too!

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

iospace posted:

The National Cathedral in Washington has similar ones too!

Holy poo poo, can you post a link?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MikeJF posted:

I read Aesma and the Red Eyed King again the other day and burst out laughing aloud a bunch of times, I love that story.

The "this was a fabulously bad idea" line still leaves me in stitches. All the myth stories have been great, but that one is my favorite I think.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/orbitaldropkick/status/1119718728260902913?s=21

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aspiration makes monsters of men

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I appreciate that Meti hacked off her hair, too. She is, after all, as much a fool as they are for following her path.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 20, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's easy for her to say that, but personally I don't know what I would even do with the primal power of creation besides some occasional fireworks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I love Meti's dripping contempt for the murderous arts.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YaketySass posted:

It's easy for her to say that, but personally I don't know what I would even do with the primal power of creation besides some occasional fireworks.

public works my man

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Makes me wonder whether these are first or second generation demiurges although I'm leaning towards the latter? The philosopher-kings and scholars definitely threw down, even Zoss himself took the fight to the heavens. But I remembered a post from Ortibal saying most had died out before the universal war even started. And I can see Meti's contempt being even greater realizing that a bunch of people who killed or stole their way into power were using the energies of the cosmos just to make flails and whips.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tollymain posted:

public works my man

You can accomplish the work of a hundred men with the same strength that would cut them down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
More power, really, since you also keep the power they generate.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, you could lift, like, a really big stone block.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, you could lift, like, a really big stone block.

You know, when you phrase it like that, Solomon doesn't really seem like such hot poo poo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really hope we get to see Meti apply some pure Cutting to folks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/negaversace/status/969724762623758336

zizek confirmed for royalty

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Zizek, bearer of the word "Moist"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I really hope we get to see Meti apply some pure Cutting to folks.

Meti could single-handedly destroy all of the Seven but chose not to exert her power

her unwavering disgust towards the violence of which she is capable is the fulcrum of what makes her Royal. when faced with the choice between peasant and king, she chose peasant, but she did so with a force of conviction that would make Aesma's knees buckle

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Coulda made poo poo. Coulda learned poo poo. Coulda sat around and done nothing at all. Any of which would have been better than starting a universal war.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

honestly, i'd say that zizek is in fact pretty royal

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

Zizek, bearer of the word "Schniffffffff"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: doomguy - doomguy from the doom comic isn't royal (too concerned with earthly concerns (radiation), isn't able to punch a cyberdemon's spine out unaided) but doomguy from DOOM 2016 is definitely royalty

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Murder the gods, and topple their thrones

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

President Ark posted:

re: doomguy - doomguy from the doom comic isn't royal (too concerned with earthly concerns (radiation), isn't able to punch a cyberdemon's spine out unaided) but doomguy from DOOM 2016 is definitely royalty

You got some guts, friendo. Huge guts.

Zizek was the perfect/worst person to debate Peterson. But if he generally won the debate, that's so sad for fascist clean your room dude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

habeasdorkus posted:

You got some guts, friendo. Huge guts.

Zizek was the perfect/worst person to debate Peterson. But if he generally won the debate, that's so sad for fascist clean your room dude.

https://twitter.com/altctuallyd0ng/status/1066399739774685184

But yeah, outside the people who are fanatically in favor of Peterson, most people saw it as Zizek crushing him and/or Jorp coming off as am unprepared moron. At least two noted that Zizek is very nice and generous with people he does not respect, and he was extremely nice to Peterson as the debate went on.

For specific moments, at the beginning Jorp admitted that he didn't read Zizek's work, because there's a lot of it, and instead just read the Communist Manifesto. Later, Zizek asked Peterson who these supposed cultural Marxists spreading their lies in society are, if he could name any specific people, and Peterson couldn't.

Also:
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1119420897033621504

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I'd read that Peterson admitted he didn't read the communist manifesto before peeling for this debate, which if true lol but also loving sad. Peterson and his goobers are as far from royalty as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

squeaky Wheel gets the grease