Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Coolguye posted:

never, EVER let your ruler fight. just don't do it. i don't care if they have 40+ martial and 150+ personal combat skill. they will get blindsided by some poo poo and put into a coma in their first war, i practically guarantee you.

I recently played a pretty long MP campaign as Mali, with my king almost never not leading from the front (or sometimes sides, when he got Flanker). Never lost a king to battle events, and having such a godly commander allowed me to punch well above my weight class when other players ganged up on me. It's a risk, but it is one that is often worth taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you're in a warrior lodge you mitigate the risk a lot. Weird there's no equivalent knightly orders for Christians but I guess the holy order spam is meant to counter that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

If you're in a warrior lodge you mitigate the risk a lot. Weird there's no equivalent knightly orders for Christians but I guess the holy order spam is meant to counter that.

one of these years, I'll sit down and write the events for Knightly Orders. One of these years.

There's a lot of event text that needs rewritten, man.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Midnight Voyager posted:

one of these years, I'll sit down and write the events for Knightly Orders. One of these years.

There's a lot of event text that needs rewritten, man.

Society modding is the goddamn worst and I firmly believe that the reason Paradox didn't include more societies with M&M is because whatever team made the framework made it a fiendish nightmare to actually work in. Luckily a couple of people have suffered on our behalf for this one.

Slothinator's Chivalric Societies lets Catholic kings create their own chivalric order societies (think Order of the Star/Order of the Garter), while Maal's Orders of Chivalry includes societies for each individual holy order in vanilla, CK2+, and HIP, and also generic regionally based "fighters' guilds" that are less holy and more similar to the warrior lodges.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Maal's event engine for society duels but I do prefer it to the one that was generally used in mods before Holy Fury because at least it lets all the clicking you have to do through event windows for every duel have an effect on the outcome of the fight (and at least now you can choose to skip it, though the evaluation he falls back on in that case is somehow even MORE vulnerable to "7 PCS weakling somehow beats 150 PCS murdergod" moments than vanilla's is.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Coolguye posted:

never, EVER let your ruler fight. just don't do it. i don't care if they have 40+ martial and 150+ personal combat skill. they will get blindsided by some poo poo and put into a coma in their first war, i practically guarantee you.
My murdermachine pagan queen just laughs from the top of a mountain of slain enemies.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I appreciated the first week or two before they cut the combat events by 80%. I was churning through bad heirs and people who hated me.

Also good heirs and people who liked me.

Oh and multiple limbs per leader.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dallan Invictus posted:

Society modding is the goddamn worst and I firmly believe that the reason Paradox didn't include more societies with M&M is because whatever team made the framework made it a fiendish nightmare to actually work in. Luckily a couple of people have suffered on our behalf for this one.

Slothinator's Chivalric Societies lets Catholic kings create their own chivalric order societies (think Order of the Star/Order of the Garter), while Maal's Orders of Chivalry includes societies for each individual holy order in vanilla, CK2+, and HIP, and also generic regionally based "fighters' guilds" that are less holy and more similar to the warrior lodges.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Maal's event engine for society duels but I do prefer it to the one that was generally used in mods before Holy Fury because at least it lets all the clicking you have to do through event windows for every duel have an effect on the outcome of the fight (and at least now you can choose to skip it, though the evaluation he falls back on in that case is somehow even MORE vulnerable to "7 PCS weakling somehow beats 150 PCS murdergod" moments than vanilla's is.

God, yeah, it's a bitch. I'm not really a fan of Maal's, but I hadn't seen the other one yet. Is it much like the warrior lodges?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if anyone still plays the after the end fan fork mod, the holy fury update is releasing tomorrow

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Coolguye posted:

Warrior lodges and certain bloodlines drastically reduce this happening, so you can not only take out your God of War out for spins, but be rewarded generously for doing so. My Got Land run started with a Tough Soldier chief with like 15 Martial, but by the time he finally died at 80 he was a Brilliant Strategist with at least 40 Martial from the +1 Martial event, that I believe is specific to lodges and maybe triggers off Berserker? Berserker is also an "oh poo poo" button for if you get captured, just leave it paused and hit the button and you'll bust out of jail like the Incredible Hulk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Out of curiosity, do you get Great Work benefits for your ruler, such as the gardens giving +health or the grand university's unique features giving stat boosts, only if they're in your capital, or if they're in your demesne at all? I assume stuff like +% tax increases, disease resistance, and so on are to their province only, but other stuff I'm not as sure about; I figured it was only if it was in your capital, but some post I saw elsewhere mentioned some bonuses applying beyond that so I wanted to see if anyone here knows.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland...

"Your wife-regent has grabbed one of your counties while you stare vacantly ahead."

"Due to circumstances beyond your ability to comprehend, your wife has been removed as regent in favor of your spymaster."

"You have died in a coma. Baby Son is now king."

...that was certainly a string of events. Could have gone worse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile in Ireland...

"Your wife-regent has grabbed one of your counties while you stare vacantly ahead."

"Due to circumstances beyond your ability to comprehend, your wife has been removed as regent in favor of your spymaster."

At least you get the county back when your char's mother dies. It's worse when a non-related regent grabs your provinces.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh, wifey was also plotting to kill Baby Son somewhere in here, which...would have put the next daughter on the throne instead with all of his land. Not much of a plan.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
a fun thing to do is challenge your rival, the ruler of another kingdom who is blind, one-handed, and has a negative combat skill, to a duel with your hot poo poo duelist character.

you will be able to spend tons of time wondering how it is the other guy managed to kill you.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The minimum chance of losing a duel is way too high. I get that they don't want to enable you to have completely invincible characters, but sometimes the skill gap is just so high that losing SHOULD be impossible. I figured that was the entire point of the opinion malus for dueling someone much weaker than you. As it is now that malus is pointless because you always have a decent chance of ending up dead.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I got a really neat duel event where my character easily fatally wounded his opponent, turned around to poo poo talk him to the audience, and then got stabbed in the back. That’s the story of how the king of Poland, Lithuania, and Finland and the Emperor of the Romans died in the same duel. No moral

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Okay so I wanna get into this. Put everything that seemed cool into my Steam cart and whoops that's 170€ :stare: Guess it's wait for a sale o'clock

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile in Ireland...

I'm getting flashbacks to reduced crown authority and losing all my gold and lands here

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Okay so I wanna get into this. Put everything that seemed cool into my Steam cart and whoops that's 170€ :stare: Guess it's wait for a sale o'clock

Oh yeah, I am playing vanilla because gently caress that's a lot of DLCs for ten bucks a pop, I am not made of money

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

aphid_licker posted:

Jumping in hog wild with all the DLC off the bat sounds tempting because of that feeling of not wanting to 'miss out' on anything, but for new players the base game can be overwhelming enough. The DLC is really best thought of as things to get if you feel like you have exhausted everything and need more. All of the DLCs were released with patches that added new features to the game even without owning the DLC.

The only DLC I would suggest for a brand new player is Way of Life.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aphid_licker posted:

Please read my OP, I've rated the DLCs, it's a handy guide imho.

And yes, waiting for a sale is a good idea.

Also, this game is better than any Staplerfahrersimulator. I hope that info helps.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you don't have too long to wait either, CK2 goes on sale every time there's a big steam sale and next month you're looking at the summer sale

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's a spring sale happening at GMG right now! https://www.greenmangaming.com/spring-sale/paradox/crusader-kings/

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Buy the base game and maybe way of life DLC, and try it before you spend money on more DLC. You should have an idea of whether you like it or not by the next sale/summer sale.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Buy the base game and maybe way of life DLC, and try it before you spend money on more DLC. You should have an idea of whether you like it or not by the next sale/summer sale.

I've played CK1 and I think the only EU I haven't played is 3 so I'm not exactly new to this Pdox thing, but yeah going in blind to the tune of 170€ is kinda dumb. I'll go the base game + way of life route everyone has been suggesting and then check the OP for how to proceed. Refuse to believe quite yet that it's better than Staplerfahrersimulator tho. Thanks guys <3

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A gentle reminder that the OP has a list of DLC, which handily puts things into categories that describe how quickly you should throw your money at them.

Also, cosmetic DLCs are entirely pointless until you absolutely have to have them.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

At some point it does feel like a collection hobby to be honest. I cannot recommend it at all, but it does feel absolutely :smug: and somewhat arousing to own every DLC that exists, including all those terribly unnecessary ones.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Goons Are Great posted:

At some point it does feel like a collection hobby to be honest. I cannot recommend it at all, but it does feel absolutely :smug: and somewhat arousing to own every DLC that exists, including all those terribly unnecessary ones.

For CK2 at least Paradox got every cent of money it could from me. The portrait dlcs really improved things for me.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there a mod that lets me play as a peasant republic? I want to be a good guy in this game for once.

Something like this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithmarschen

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 21, 2019

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

I've played CK1 and I think the only EU I haven't played is 3 so I'm not exactly new to this Pdox thing, but yeah going in blind to the tune of 170€ is kinda dumb. I'll go the base game + way of life route everyone has been suggesting and then check the OP for how to proceed. Refuse to believe quite yet that it's better than Staplerfahrersimulator tho. Thanks guys <3

Just make sure to post in thread for advice/clarity on some of the weirder mechanics.

Though honestly, paradox is master of tooltips and by this point everything is pretty transparent.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
In the 1800 or so hours I've played this game, I've gotten exactly two immortal rulers. And, they've both died to assassination within their natural lifetimes.

Give me some cool immortal stories, while I mourn.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first time getting an immortal ruler was during the run where I was trying to build up from a tribe in Arabia to a merchant republic.

Merchant republics are not a good option if you want your immortal ruler to not get assassinated.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can the AI ever get immortal?

Is there a list of some of the more 'magical' stuff that the AI never does/gets?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Beans posted:

Is there a list of some of the more 'magical' stuff that the AI never does/gets?

no and no respectively

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

You can set supernatural events to "unrestricted" at the start of a game so that they're available to the AI. I think the default setting is player only.

Anyway, my immortal ruler is one-eyed, one-handed, one-legged, and disfigured. And a drunk. He still has over 20 in every stat except for diplomacy, which is 17. And he somehow still has a positive combat ability, although it's only like 10.

I'm trying to collect all the pets, right now I have a dog, owl, and parrot. Cat is just a random event I guess, and it looks like I'd need to spend some time in prison if I want to pick up a rat. I did make sure to add a pet graveyard to my great work, of course.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Incredible looking update to the Vampire the Masquerade mod

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...195#post1306195

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JosefStalinator posted:

Just make sure to post in thread for advice/clarity on some of the weirder mechanics.

Though honestly, paradox is master of tooltips and by this point everything is pretty transparent.

The tooltips are pretty good, but I think it's pretty easy for a new player to get overwhelmed by all the options. I started playing the game before the first DLC came out, so I only had to learn vanilla CK2. Every additional icon, button, and info panel was introduced to me one or two at a time per DLC. But there are just a ton of buttons you can press now, just look at an early version of the character page:

No Way of Life foci, no ambitions, no artifacts, personal combat rating, sway/antagonize, button to forbid your ruler from leading armies, government type symbol, etc. Like clockwork every few weeks there's a newbie coming into the thread to ask if there is a list of x, and they are always amazed when we point out the ledger to them. Not to mention that the ability to search for traits like genius in the character finder is not mentioned anywhere in the game. There are dozens of options in the direct diplomacy menu. Suggest fatwa, demand gavelkind, send to holy order, etc. Even I was confused for a time when they put the commit suicide button from decisions to the diplomacy menu, because how often do you open the diplomacy menu targeting your own character? Clicking on the shield of one of your own titles to see your income/expenses list is not something I expect new people to discover immediately. And so on.

When newbies come here and ask "can I do x", most of the time, the answer is yes, it's just hidden somewhere where it's not easy to find. The tooltips are pretty good, I agree with you here. But I simply wouldn't call CK2 "pretty transparent" unless you have a ton of experience with it.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 21, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Not to mention that the ability to search for traits like genius in the character finder is not mentioned anywhere in the game.
Oh my God! I have played over a thousand hours of this game and I had no idea you could do this!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

A gentle reminder that the OP has a list of DLC, which handily puts things into categories that describe how quickly you should throw your money at them.

Also, cosmetic DLCs are entirely pointless until you absolutely have to have them.

I feel like the portrait DLCs are nice but yeah completely skipable if you're playing the game for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

Oh my God! I have played over a thousand hours of this game and I had no idea you could do this!

Proving my point!

That's admittedly the most hidden feature in the game, imho. You can also search for dynasty names, because the dynasty page itself can get really unwieldy.

Another feature that's a bit hidden is that there's a button for "claimants" when you click on a title shield, listing all claimants to that title, complete with a symbol that tells you whether the claimant in question would accept an invitation to your court.