Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Seeing this LP get started encouraged me to actually get around to playing the game myself. I'm just getting to the end of it now, so this is going to be weird following a danganronpa thread knowing what to expect for once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was the case in the first game.

Oh poo poo I forgot that Makoto knew he was ultimate lucky student from the start. Sorry my bad

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

AUDIO: The Sealed Academy

Both words were accurate. What stood before us was both cage and wall. Either way, the enormous wall struck a terrifying chord. The mere sight of its imposing presence was enough to send waves of panic through me. No matter where we looked—ahead, behind, above, or all around... The cage surrounded the entire school.

What is this...? We're trapped!?

What's going...on...?

MUSIC: Rise and Shine, Ursine!

The first time I saw it, my teeth and fingernails fell out.

That's not a healthy way to react to a surprise!

Byeow! But it's so awesomely huge! I can see why it's called the End Wall!

End Wall...?

Normally, walls are erected to separate two places, right? But that wall is different. It represents...the end of the world.

What are you talking about...?

Huh? Was someone talking? Was I talking?

...Bwee-heehee, hahahahahaha!

Stop laughing and explain yourselves!

There's nothing to explain. This is simply how it is, so please don't bother.

That wall has no entrances or exits, and it cannot be climbed or demolished.

An Ultimate could probably climb it partway, but most of the time it's impossible!

...But they can still sorta climb it, huh.

I took a deep breath and shouted at the wall as loud as I could.

I shouted as loud as I could, but...for all my shouting, there was no response.

Hahhh...hahhh...hahhh...

Please, stop! You'll hurt your throat!

Yeah! Scream all you like, no one can hear you anyway!

No one...can hear us?

Wh-What do you mean? What do you mean no one can hear us?

Say something!

...One of you, just...answer!

...drat it...

Now, now, let's all get along.

Wh-What is this? You things... This school... What is all this?

You bastards'll hafta use your legs, hands, and eyes to find that out for yourselves.

But please watch your step while you explore. The school is still under construction.

Under construction?

I looked around.

Are they still in the middle of building this school?

I don't think so... It seems more like they're renovating an abandoned school.

Either way, the construction will finish soon once we set the Exisals on autopilot.

Exisals?

...Do robots really need that kinda backstory?

Their steering wheels are leopard print, and their dashboards are lined with arcade prizes!

Seriously, knock it off you guys! They sound like douchebags with backstories like those!

And there they go again... But, more importantly... Is what they said...really true? We can't escape...? We can't go over that wall...? And...no one's coming to rescue us.

NO MUSIC

...But if I give up now, then what!?

MUSIC: Beautiful Lie

I slapped both my cheeks, and as my face grew warm I could feel my determination returning...

Hey, Shuichi! Let's go see if we can find a way out!

I slapped him upside his head, just firm enough to get his attention.

Ow!

Shuichi...I'm not great at motivating others... But we can't give up just because of a wall. We came in somewhere, so there has to be an exit!

Everyone just has to cooperate if we all wanna get out of here!

Yeah, that's right. It's too early to give up. It's too early.

Turns out there's one more area to explore, though only some of it is available right now.

For instance, we're not getting behind the main building just yet.

Seriously...I just don't get it.

I wonder what will happen now... If we can't escape, then—

What, are you complaining?

Huh?

Quit complaining and grumbling, or it'll turn into a habit.

Huh? The universe?

Oops, I haven't introduced myself yet. My bad.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Kaito Momota

Kaito is voiced by Kyle Hebert, who also played teenage/adult Gohan in Dragon Ball Z and Super, Kamina in Gurren Lagann, Ryu from the Street Fighter series, Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice, and Kazuichi Soda in Danganronpa 2. In Japanese he's voiced by Ryouhei Kimura, who also played Akira Takizawa in Eden of the East, Joshua in The World Ends with You, Itsuki Aoi in Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, and Wonder Red in The Wonderful 101.

How 'bout it!? I'm an astronaut! Isn't that cool!?

Y-Yeah... I've never been to space, so I don't know much about it...

Haha! Well, of course! Not just anyone can get up there! I may be an astronaut, but... I'm actually still in training.

Oh, I see. So you're still a trainee...

But I'm the first teenager to ever pass the exam! I mean, normally you need a college degree to even take the exam.

Huh? Then how did you take the exam?

I had a friend who was pretty crafty... So I had him forge some stuff for me.

That's illegal!

Yeah, I ended up getting caught. I was in pretty deep poo poo! But the people up top decided they liked me and let me in anyway. 'Course, I aced the exam too.

Th-That's reckless...

No way I can wait till after college! I wanna get to space as fast as I can!

...You sure have a lot of...energy.

Yeah, everyone told me it was impossible, but I never gave up! Not for a moment! That's because...limits don't exist unless you set them yourself!

So do you have any ideas?

Th-That's not the problem!

Um...no, that *is* the problem. Geez, this guy sure talks a big game.

There are no walls you can't get over! We'll think of a way out later!

So I better not hear you complaining or grumbling!

I think *now* is a good time to think of a way out...

Monotaro is voiced by Sean Chiplock, who also played Subaru Natsuki from Re:ZERO, Yuuki Mishima from Persona 5, Navarre from Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Santa from Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors, and Kiyotaka Ishimaru from Danganronpa.

Junpei posted:

You forgot Sean Chiplock's biggest, and most important role: Main character of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Rean Schwarzter.

AweStriker posted:

Sean Chiplock also voiced Revali for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

And sometimes he has some fun doing things like this. Or unvoiced lines from the game.

It might be worth double checking some things since offhand I think the anime of Danganronpa 1 had different English voice actors than the video game did.

Solitair posted:

Yeah, I figured. Turns out Bryce Papenbrook (Makoto) is the only voice actor from the English dub of the game who reprised his role for the English dub of the anime version. When I say that a voice actor played a role from Danganronpa (1), I only mean the game, since I don't think its anime adaptation is essential at all.

Sorry to intrude.

What is it this time? And what do you mean by intruding?

We finished setting up the showers! Now you can go pee!

Why don't they just use the toilets?

Huh? Even for number two!?

Wait, do you go number two in the shower!?

Ew, that's gross.

They mean for us to live here... See, there are 16 doors. Perhaps...a room for each of us?

I don't plan on staying here long enough to need a room.

The dormitory gives us full 360 degree camera movement with Kaede at the center. As is traditional, each room is marked with a pixel art portrait of its designated user. Examining any door right now will just have Kaede repeat her last line, with more emphasis.

Why go through the trouble to do this...? What are they planning?

Huh? What do you mean?

If they are holding us for ransom, a large facility such as this would be unnecessary. Furthermore, I gather they would rather care for us than hurt us. In light of this...I fail to see the true objective of the culprits responsible for kidnapping us.

Culprits, huh...? I never even thought about that.

Why would our kidnappers go to all this trouble? Sixteen Ultimate students have been gathered here...but why? What's the reason?

Pardon me...I have not introduced myself yet.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Kirumi Tojo

Kirumi is voiced by Kira Buckland, whom every single one of you recognizes as 2B from Nier Automata. She also played Artemia in Bravely Default and Bravely Second, Marie from Skullgirls, and Hiyoko Saionji from Danganronpa 2. Apparently she's still doing voice work for dumb internet stuff like Abridged Series, too. Kirumi's Japanese voice actor is Kikuko Inoue, who also played Lust in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Nurse Joy from Pokemon, and Sunny, Chico, the Boss and Rosemary from the Metal Gear Solid series.

Wow... The Ultimate Maid sounds like a really cool talent.

Ah, wait! I-I've heard of Kirumi Tojo!

An Ultimate with incredible intellect and strength, working as a private maid... I heard that her work is so perfect, she can complete any request given to her.

What!? She's that amazing!?

Please, you are exaggerating... I will not complete any request that is asked of me.

I once received a request to annihilate a rival nation, but as it was impossible, I rejected it.

But...being requested to do that is pretty impressive on its own.

I've also heard that she's been hired as a bodyguard to several foreign dignitaries...

I have only been employed as a maid, not a bodyguard.

But you've been hired by so many important people... You're, like, a super maid!

Th-That's a tough question... Umm... What should we do?

What would you do, Kirumi?

I hold no opinions or desires of which to speak.

As a maid, my only desire is to fulfill the desires of others.

"Emotions are prohibited, after all."

So please, think about what you desire for yourself, and what you desire from me.

No matter the situation, no matter what happens, I am here to serve everyone.

Even in this situation, she's more concerned for others... Well, she is the Ultimate Maid, after all.

Kirumi just repeats her last two lines if you talk to her now. Moving on.

Whatever this castle door is will have to wait.

The stairs here are a loading screen separating the main courtyard area from the plaza down below.

It looks like one... But why is this here?

Seriously...there are so many odd things...

The map says the Ultimate Inventor's Lab is beyond here, but the Monokubs left their poo poo in the way. Good thing Miu isn't here to see this.

Whoa... This guy looks scary. He's so big and muscular...

Um...excuse me?

...Hm?

NO MUSIC

Huh? Thank you?

Oh! Sorry for scaring!

Gonta scary-looking. Most people not wanna talk to Gonta when meeting for first time.

So, like gentleman, Gonta say thank you! Thank you for talking to Gonta!

Um...thank you for being so polite.

He looks scary, but...he doesn't seem very scary at all.

Oh...right! Gonta need to make introduction!

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Gonta Gokuhara

Gonta is voiced in English by Kaiji Tang, who also played Joe in Megalo Box, Iwai in Persona 5, the title character in Detective Pikachu, Yasuhiro Hagakure in Danganronpa, and Koichi Kizakura in Danganronpa 3. Shunsuke Takeuchi voices him in Japanese; he's a newcomer to the voice-acting scene whose most prominent other role appears to be Shogo Satake from The Caligula Effect.

Oh, so you're Gonta. That's a really cute name.

R-Really? Th-Thank you.

Awww, you're actually pretty nice. Silly me for being so scared at first.

Oh... Gonta scary-looking, huh?

Oh, sorry... That's not what I...

No, is okay. Gonta used to it. Gonta called scary since he was kid.

Since you were a kid, huh?

Kid Gonta bigger than other kids. Other kids scared of Gonta... So kid Gonta play alone. That how Gonta come to like bugs. But...when Gonta really focus, it easy to lose track... One day, Gonta go to forest to find bugs. End up lost...

That sounds rough... Were they able to find you right away?

Ten years!?

But Gonta fine. New family took care of Gonta.

I-I see... I'm glad they were nice people.

Wolves!?

But they really nice. Cuz of forest family, Gonta learn to speak bug and animal.

As thanks, Gonta wanna show forest family what great gentleman Gonta is!

Um... How is becoming a gentleman going to thank them for that?

...Wait, really? I suppose it's understandable that there are no animals, but no insects? That's...strange. Not even one bug—

NO MUSIC

You like bugs, too?

MUSIC: Finding Peace Party

Ah, n—no, I wasn't saying that I *like* bugs or anything...

Then, you...hate bugs?

...What?

U-Um...you don't hate bugs! You *love* them! Right, Shuichi?

Y-Yeah! Of course I do! I...love...bugs?

...Oh, okay. That good. No bad person likes bugs.

...That was scary.

Phew, yeah... I thought you were gonna die. Honestly, I can't stand bugs either, but it might be best to hide that...

This place so strange... Lots of green, but no bugs... How come?

NEW MUSIC: Becoming Friends

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Angie Yonaga

Angie is voiced in English by Cassandra Morris, who also played Edea Lee in Bravely Default, Kyubey in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Ritsu Tainaka in K-On!, Morgana in Persona 5, and Aoi Asahina in Danganronpa. She's played in Japanese by Minori Suzuki, another newcomer, whose only prominent role so far is Freya from Macross Delta.

You're pretty cheerful...

She's a bit too happy, considering the situation we're in right now...

Nyahahaha! There's no reason to carry bad thoughts with ya! You gotta live every day like it's bright, cheery, and fun!

A—Atua?

The god of my island, Atua, is always with me, speaking to me with His divine voice...

Oh, well, she's certainly devout...

Do you specialize in painting or sculpting?

Hmmm... I do both. I paint paintings and I sculpt sculptures. But Atua's the one who makes the art. I merely offer my body as His vessel.

I see, that's interesting. If you don't mind, can you show me some of your artwork?

Of course, of course. In return, will you make an offering?

An offering...?

Every Monday and Wednesday morning on my island, a truck comes to collect offerings.

...That sounds oddly similar to putting out the trash for pickup.

Don't...worry...?

Um, I'm a bit anemic, so I'll pass...

I see. What about you, then?

Huh? Me!?

Boy's blood is also an acceptable offering.

C'mon, c'mon! It won't hurt one bit!

Ah! W-Wait a minute!

Nyahahahaha! Don't run away!

Th-This girl is so...weird!

If you don't save Angie for last, you can get this out of her.

When your anemia clears up, come by so I can accept your offering! May Atua bless you!

That's not something you say with a smile, is it!?

NO MUSIC

But once we've met everyone, something grabs our attention.

Was that the bell!?

Kaede, look! The monitor!

Monophanie is played by Natalie Hoover, who's also played a handful of roles from newer anime that I don't recognize, apart from a character in One Piece who hasn't done anything as the start of the Wano Country arc, where I left off reading. Um, I think Tomoyo from the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel might be semi-important in that show? Oh, and she also played Sonia Nevermind from Danganronpa 2.

Kept you bastards waiting, huh!?

Everyone, make your way to the gym please.

The opening ceremony can finally begin!

Phew! We finally finished our preparations!

...You do realize you just read your lines backwards, don't you?

So long! Bear-well!

Gym? Opening ceremony?

Kaede...what should we do?

What should we do? Go, of course. Everyone else is probably doing the same thing.

True, but...l'm a little worried about this...

Well, I'm not a little worried... I'm *very* worried.

Next time, we'll see what there is to worry about.

REPORT CARDS

Solitair fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 5, 2023

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh nooo, Gonta the ultimate bad localization has appeared!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Despite all my rage, I'm still an Ultimate in a cage.

Kirumi's remark that she's here to serve everyone is a bit ominous. Also, I'm liking Gonta so far, so I imagine he's going to die because that's always how this turns out for characters I like. :argh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kaito is probably one of my favourites. Not, like, Kokichi or Miu favourite, but up there.

His deal makes it pretty clear that Ultimates are just the best teenagers at their thing - he may be the Ultimate Astronaut but he's clearly less qualified than any of the many people who have actually been to space. But he's absolutely the most qualified high schooler.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kaito is great.

You forgot Sean Chiplock's biggest, and most important role: Main character of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Rean Schwarzter.

I don't mind Gonta's caveman speak.

Kirumi is cool. A little boring, but nothing offensive.

Angie is... well, she's certainly... unique. Of note-the name "Atua", I think, is localization-only, in the Japanese version, it's just 'Kami-sama', aka "God".

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Gonta's gettin offed first. And I can't decide if I'm glad or not. That gimmick will sure get annoying if he's not killed quickly, but on the other hand he's kind of sweet :3:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I honestly don't mind Gonta's way of speaking, since it fits into the whole Tarzan thing he's got going on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What was Gonta-speak like in Japanese, I wonder.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A nice bunch of characters to round us off. A badass maid, a Scientologist, a gentleman and of course, the Luminary of the Stars :patriot:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Apparently the update where Angie is introduced was posted on her birthday. What a coincidence.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
How divine!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

What was Gonta-speak like in Japanese, I wonder.

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I think it's a bit more common for Japanese-language characters to refer to themselves in third person. I heard a while ago that in the Japanese dub, Tenko also does this, though I'd have to check it myself to make sure.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Gonta for Ultimate Gentleman.

Sorry, Hildibrand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alpha3KV posted:

Apparently the update where Angie is introduced was posted on her birthday. What a coincidence.

Praise Atua.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Despite all my rage, I'm still an Ultimate in a cage.

Kirumi's remark that she's here to serve everyone is a bit ominous. Also, I'm liking Gonta so far, so I imagine he's going to die because that's always how this turns out for characters I like. :argh:

Oh yeah, shes totally going to help a killer with their murder at some point.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

From what I understand, Gonta talks in third-person in Japanese too, and speaks a very simplistic style of Japanese. However I've heard that the Tarzan speak is a little heavy-handed in conveying that. Him just speaking in third person and using simpler words would probably be best, not cutting out all his conjoining words. Someone with better knowledge of Japanese please correct me on this one if I'm wrong.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonta uses the 3rd person and sinple (granmatically correct) sentence structures, which gives him the impression of a small child, in contrast to his buff appearance. This also ties into his love of bugs, which is a very stereotypical trait of young Japanwse boys. He doesn't sound like goddamn Tarzan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Steak posted:

Gonta uses the 3rd person and sinple (granmatically correct) sentence structures, which gives him the impression of a small child, in contrast to his buff appearance. This also ties into his love of bugs, which is a very stereotypical trait of young Japanwse boys. He doesn't sound like goddamn Tarzan

Well he was raised by wolves so Tarzan speak makes sense.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Alpha3KV posted:

Atua knows all.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I don't mind how Gonta speaks. What I mind is that the Ultimate Entomologist is calling insects bugs :argh:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Are you going to argue with the Ultimate Entomologist over his preferred terminology? :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BlazeEmblem posted:

I don't mind how Gonta speaks. What I mind is that the Ultimate Entomologist is calling insects bugs :argh:.

BLAZEEMBLEM NOT LIKE BUGS? :ssj:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

"Woah, guys, what if, what if we made Cid Highwind, but instead he's a big tittied anime girl?"

"Wooooah. Hey, pass me that bong."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

BlazeEmblem posted:

But the term "insect" doesn't include bugs like spiders and centipedes and he would never exclude those.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

But the term "insect" doesn't include bugs like spiders and centipedes and he would never exclude those.

Is he the Ultimate Arachnologist? Is he the Ultimate Myriapodologist? No, he's the Ultimate Entomologist and thus should know that bugs are just a subset of insects :colbert:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It might be worth double checking some things since offhand I think the anime of Danganronpa 1 had different English voice actors than the video game did.

In addition to being Trails of Cold Steel main character Rean, which Junpei pointed out , Sean Chiplock also voiced Revali for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

And sometimes he has some fun doing things like this. Or unvoiced lines from the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I appreciate Kaede's willingness to try the simplest possible solution to being trapped in a giant cage by a gang of evil animatronic bears.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

AweStriker posted:

In addition to being Trails of Cold Steel main character Rean, which Junpei pointed out , Sean Chiplock also voiced Revali for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Hey wait I know that
wait

I LITERALLY DIDN'T REALIZE A FRIEND OF MINE WAS MONOTARO UNTIL JUST NOW

how the gently caress did I miss that

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

AweStriker posted:

Yeah, I figured. Turns out Bryce Papenbrook (Makoto) is the only voice actor from the English dub of the game who reprised his role for the English dub of the anime version. When I say that a voice actor played a role from Danganronpa (1), I only mean the game, since I don't think its anime adaptation is essential at all.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Is he the Ultimate Arachnologist? Is he the Ultimate Myriapodologist? No, he's the Ultimate Entomologist and thus should know that bugs are just a subset of insects :colbert:

What else is he going to call himself? He's not interested in crustaceans so he can't use Arthropodologist.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

whitehelm posted:

What else is he going to call himself? He's not interested in crustaceans so he can't use Arthropodologist.

Gonta is the Ultimate Bugomaster.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Ultimate Bug Maniac clearly

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

It's a straight shot to the gym door from our last introduction.

MUSIC: Nightmare in the Locker

Hmm, it's pretty spectacular seeing all 16 of us Ultimates gathered together.

Kehehe... You may not be able to be so easygoing for much longer...

In this situation, it's no use thinking about things. So eventually, Tsumugi stopped thinking.

Nyeeeh... What's gonna happen to us? I bet it'll be a big pain...

Hmmmmmm...

What? What are you looking at?

Um... Himiko, you can use amazing powers, right!? Cuz you're a psychic and stuff, right?

I'm not a psychic...I'm a mage.

Hey, what sorta training did you undergo to gain your awesome powers!?

Talking about it is too tiring...

You're pretty lazy.

Pardon me, but...we need to be on our guard. We do not know if and when danger will strike.

There is no need to worry. Atua will protect us.

Is your brain full of weeds or somethin'? I'll whack 'em outta that skull of yours!

Don't worry about it! Just leave it to me!

NO MUSIC

...Huh? What that?

Hm? What's wrong?

An ominous mechanical hum starts up.

Listen... Hear that?

Ah, I think I hear it. It sounds like an engine from a robot anime—

MUSIC: New Classmates of the Dead

AUDIO: Hello Despair Robot!

Yoo-hoo! Rise and shine, ursine!

Everyone, behind Gonta!

Wh-What the heck are these...monsters!?

Whoooooaaaa!!! So coooool!!!

They're Exisals—highly mobile, bipedal weapons platforms! They got lotsa hometown pride, too!

...I can't keep track of these backstories.

Wh-Whatever they are, they better kill off the uggos and save me for last!

Run, Himiko!

Why are you concerned about me all of a sudden?

Wh-What the hell!? Nobody told me about these!

If they wanted to kill us, they'd have done it by now.

With that, Rantaro casually walked up to the Exisals.

So...what do you want from us? You clearly want *something*, that's what the guns are for, right? Let me guess. You're gonna force us to do something, and if we don't, we get hurt.

Well, you have our attention. So what do you want?

Huh. Well aren't you a wiseguy?

... Hahhhhh! My heart's goin' 100 miles per hour! I'm gonna say it! You ready!? Hell yeah! lt's a—

NO MUSIC

Hey, Monodam can actually talk. He's played by Jason Wishnov, who dabbles in voice acting when he's not working as CEO of Iridium Studios. Byakuya Togami from Danganronpa is almost certainly his most well-known role, aside from Byakuya Togami in Danganronpa 2.

...What?

M-M-Monodam! How DARE you upstage me!

W—Wait a second. What did you say?

I-If I heard him correctly—

NEW MUSIC: Wonderful Story

Oh! He said it again!

Grrrrrrr! God drat it, Monodam! I'm gonna crush you with this here Exisal!

C'mon, we don't have time to fight amongst ourselves.

Yeah! If you don't stop fighting, I'm gonna crush you with this here Exisal!

You too, Monotaro? If this is what it's come to, then I will crush the four of you with this here Exisal!

Hey! Why are you including me!? Oh well! It's more appropriate for us to be hostile to each other!

NEW MUSIC: Mr. Monokuma After Class V3

AUDIO: Super Exisal Battle

MONOKID: Who you callin' jabroni, jabroni!?

MONOSUKE: What'd you say, jabroni!?

MONOPHANIE: I'll throw down any time, jabroni! Check yourself before you wreck yourself!

MIU: S-Seriously!? Are they gonna get it on right in front of us!?

ANGIE: Don't worry. Atua is watching over us.

TSUMUGI: In a situation like this, is he just going to watch!?

KEEBO: Either way, it's too dangerous! We need to get out of here or else—

NO MUSIC

KAEDE: What?

???: My cute little cubs... You gotta knock off this awful fighting...

MONOPHANIE: Oh! That voice!

Papa Kuma! Papa Kumaaaaa!

Daddy!? Where are you, Daddy!?

D-Daddy?

NO MUSIC

VIDEO: Monokuma Arrives

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Monokuma

...and the headmaster of the Ultimate Academy!

Monokuma—and Monosuke, for that matter—are voiced by Brian Beacock in English, who reprises his role as Monokuma from the first two games. You might also recognize him as Sakon, Ukon and Zetsu from Naruto, Walker Yumasaki from Durarara, Shigechi from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable, and Krillin from Dragon Ball Super. In Japanese, Monokuma is voiced by Tarako "TARAKO" Isono, reprising her role from Danganronpa 3. You might remember her as Melody from Hunter X Hunter, Kilala from Inuyasha, and especially Zero III Jr. from Virtue's Last Reward. She took over the role from Nobuyo Ooyama after the latter's dementia diagnosis.

NEW MUSIC: Mr. Monokuma's Lesson V3

Yayyyyy! Father's here!

Hell yeah! Another epic entrance from Papa Kuma!

Daddy is soooo cool.

Monokuma is vibrating pretty hard here.

The only reason I can tolerate your tiresome antics is cuz you're all so cute. Even when the prologue is going way too long, I'll allow it because you guys are cute. In fact, the very first prologue ever was only short cuz you cutie-patooties weren't there.

Pops...are you mad at us?

Gahhhh! He is mad!

But...Daddy is still cool even when he's angry.

Pops is from a planet of handsome bears that get cooler as they get angrier.

AUDIO: Punish the Monokuma God

Ahhhhh! Father just transformed into a Super Monokuma God Super Monokuma!

That's only possible when six Monokumas of pure heart are gathered together!

It's the power you bust out when you really wanna gently caress the world's poo poo up!

A power ya only see when the gods themselves do battle!

You kids really stand out from the rest of the second-generation failures in the world.

Isn't that a little harsh? I'm sure there are some second-generation success stories...

I can't think of any, though—

AUDIO: Punish the Red Bear

But Father remembers! Cuz he knows everything!

Holy poo poo! That's right, Papa Kuma! You know all kinds of useless crap!

Cuz Daddy gets all his alternate facts from the most trusted names in fake news!

Usually, ratings will plummet when mascots appear in sequels too much...

But in this case, ratings are through the roof! All thanks to the cute Monokubs!

Wh-What is this? What's going on?

Another teddy bear appeared...

Yes, but that is no ordinary teddy bear. I can see it...the despair and madness swirling around that cursed thing...

Whoa... First of all, I'm no teddy bear. I'm Monokuma.

...Headmaster?

It appears to be some sort of autonomous robot with a built-in A.l., like me...

Dong dong dong! The Exisals are different, though! They're brainless buckets of bolts!

They're mindless pretty killing machines that can only be controlled by us, the Monokubs.

Autonomous robots piloting weapons platforms... This is certainly turning into quite the story.

Well that may be, but what I'm worried about is this "killing game" you mentioned. What exactly does that mean?

NO MUSIC

What is so amusing?

It's just...when I said it before, I kinda just phoned it in and now I feel awkward...

MUSIC: Mr. Monokuma After Class V3

K-Killing game? Us?

Please stop joking! Why would we agree to participate in a killing game!?

Huh? You guys don't wanna do it?

'C-Course not! Gentlemen not hurt people!

But if you've looked around the academy, then you already know, don't you? The academy is surrounded by a huge wall. You can't escape to the outside world... And as long as we have the Exisals, you can't defy us.

So do what you say if we don't want to die.

Y-You gotta be kidding me! Why would friends kill each other!?

...Who said you guys were friends?

You guys aren't friends at all...

E-Enemies...?

All this talkin' is buggin' the poo poo outta me! I gotta beat up Monodam to relieve the stress!

But...I don't like that. I'm not good with violence or gore or sad situations. Um, Daddy... Instead of a killing game, could we do a rock-paper-scissors tournament?

Who'd wanna play a game where no one dies!?

Why, it's cute enough to eat! Cute enough that I wanna eat it!

...Eh?

Hey, Monophanie. You might wanna dial back the cute schtick a bit.

How are we supposed to kill each other? Are you going to give us weapons?

What the hell, man!? What are you asking?

We need to get info from them first. We can't do anything if we don't know anything.

Weapons? Huh? What kinda barbaric display are you envisioning? You couldn't be more wrong. Why, at the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles...

NO MUSIC

the killing game is quite the refined, sophisticated experience!

MUSIC: Nightmare in the Locker

Sophisticated experience?

Class...trials...?

Metal...Gear...?

AUDIO: Trial Explanation V3

MONOSUKE: The class trial is where the blackened killer faces off against their spotless classmates.

MONOKID: It's where you punkass bitches argue over who you fuckin' think the blackened is! After that, it's Voting Time! And if the majority of you idiots vote correctly...

MONOPHANIE: Th-Then only the blackened killer will receive pu-pu-punishment... Hrk...! So cruel... Just imagining all the blood and gore...makes me wanna puke...

MONOSUKE: After the blackened is punished, the rest of youse'll just keep right on livin' together.

MONOTARO: But! If you vote for the wrong person during the class trial... The blackened gets off scot-free, and all the spotless students get punished instead!

MONODAM: ...

MONOKID: Hell yeah! Them's the rules of the class trial! Woo-hoo-hoo! Aooowww!

You gotta be more coy! Flirtatious! Seductive! Just like your old man!

Gross...

The point is, it's not enough to kill someone. You also have to survive the class trial.

Kill without being caught, and then survive the trial... Sounds eerily similar to the real world.

You think so? Then the outside world must be masterfully designed—even at its cruelest.

That's very much up for debate.

One can likely imagine...but I shall ask, just in case... What is the "punishment" you mentioned earlier?

NO MUSIC

MUSIC: Wonderful Story

E-Execution!?

AUDIO: Monokuma's Eyes V3, Part 1

But this is a killing game, so the punishment for murder is a bit more...permanent.

Lots of blood and guts and brains, I bet! The kinda stuff that gives me a raging boner!

What!? Monokid, you already have a boner!?

Y-Yeah! I'm so hard right now!

Blood...guts...brain...

Whoa! Monophanie just puked!

I'm so FREAKIN' hard!

Huh? Puke gives you a boner, too?

Ah-hahahahahaha! You kids are just adorable!

Wh-What the hell's cute about that!?

Let's get this heart-pounding killing school semester started already!

AUDIO: Monokuma's Eyes V3, Part 2

Like bludgeoning! Or stabbing! Feelin' cheap? Try strangulation! Feelin' lazy? Try poisoning! Whether you shoot, burn, drown, blow up, crush, electrocute, or laugh your victim to death... You can use any method you like to kill anybody you like, any way you like! At the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles, you will realize your murderous potential! Sixteen talented teenage prodigies, all competing for first place in a killing game... There's no better setting for an event like this than the Ultimate Academy!

Kehehe...risking our lives for some silly game is absurd.

It doesn't seem like it'll be boring, though.

Hey! How can you degenerates be so calm!?

Th-This has to be a lie...right? It's...a lie, right?

Kaede's vision starts distorting like a mirage.

Like a story on TV... A scenario so removed from reality, we can hardly believe it's happening.

I-I don't want...to be in a killing game... It's wrong, I... I'd never do that.

Puhuhu... Well, if you don't wanna participate in the killing game, that's gonna be a problem... Cuz the killing game is the only reason you're here.

...What?

Now then, unleash your talents and have a happy, homicidal, horrific, hilarious killing game!

...Hm?

No matter what you say... We won't do it! We'll never participate in a killing game!

Whatever you have planned, I'm not gonna let you get away with it!

K-Kaede! You shouldn't just rashly defy that thing—

No, no! I welcome her resistance! That kinda defiant spirit is important to the killing game. It's fun to watch the defiant ones eventually snap, and get their hands dirty...

Wh—What do you mean by that...?

It never gets old! It's so fun and entertaining that I just get un-BEAR-ably pumped up!

Plus, as the headmaster, it's my job to force you to do it.

Ahahahahahahahaha!

Tsumugi seems to be taking this especially hard.

16 Ultimate students trapped inside... Mysterious stuffed bears and deadly weapons... And new friends...forced to play some killing game. It all felt like something out of a sadistic work of fiction... A sadistic story, no different from reality itself... And against my will, I was now a character in that story.

:siren:VIDEO: Opening:siren:

Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles Badge posted:

Proof that you've cleared the Prologue. It's a badge of the Ultimate Academy insignia. Apparently, there are only 16 of these in the world.

And that about covers our orientation. Next time, history class, followed by P.E.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 5, 2023

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the monokuma/kubs banter in this game is so top notch. I don't even care that they make every scene way too long because I could listen to their gags all day

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like how the Monokubs all have different names for Monokuma (Monotaro: "Father", Monokid: "Papa Kuma", Monosuke, "Pops", and Monophanie, "Daddy".).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So many anime references.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

the monokuma/kubs banter in this game is so top notch. I don't even care that they make every scene way too long because I could listen to their gags all day

I could read them all day but not listen to them all day, Monokuma's voice sounds way more annoying than I remember. It's the same English voice actor as always, though?

Anyway, since I'm totally unspoiled here, I like how there's already some interesting mysteries set up in the prologue alone. Not just where the hell they are, but what's up with this "Ultimate Hunt" that was mentioned? Is their memory loss something they did willingly before they ever ran into Monokuma, to hide their identities?

And of course, what's up with Rantaro already seeming to know about this particular popular brand of killing game? I hope we spend more time with him. Oh, and Oma of course. And Miu too! How are you going to be tackling free time events in this LP btw, or is it too early to worry about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Back by popular demand, it's time for the Danganronpa Dead Pool! Anyone who hasn't seen the events beyond this point can fill in a row of this graph, listing their name and predictions of who will live or die. When the story ends, whoever gets the most predictions correct will win a free avatar certificate, courtesy of me. You have until we finish the first round of free time in Chapter 1 to get your predictions in, so don't hesitate!

Bifauxnen posted:

And of course, what's up with Rantaro already seeming to know about this particular popular brand of killing game? I hope we spend more time with him. Oh, and Oma of course. And Miu too! How are you going to be tackling free time events in this LP btw, or is it too early to worry about that?

Pretty much the same as previous LPs. I'll allow people to vote on how we spend the number of free time opportunities we get by playing the main story, then after each chapter I cover the remaining scenes relating to the people who died.