Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What are the two races on the right?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/8/collapse-of-the-republic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm pretty sure they're the Karkarodon(lol that name) and Harch. They were both in the cgi Clone Wars cartoon, appearing as single characters, both of which were moustache-twirling Separatist generals.

masam
May 27, 2010
So Ive been invited to a game of this and am considering a togrutan consular, any ideas on secondary paths to go into or force abilities to work towards?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Executor delayed until fall, looks like.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rise of the Separatists was sold at Celebration; here's the names of all the spec trees:

- Clone Officer

- Clone Pilot

- Clone Trooper

- Jedi Knight

- Padawan

- Force-Sensitive Outcast

- Republic Navy Officer

- Republic Representative

- Scavenger

https://imgur.com/a/Zi1gV4Y Spec tree pics, species abilities, other misc things

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 13, 2019

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What's the outcast supposed to represent? Someone like Asajj Ventress, maybe?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

What's the outcast supposed to represent? Someone like Asajj Ventress, maybe?

Yeah, late-Asajj, post-Jedi Order Ahsoka, someone with some formal skills, but not affiliated with the Jedi or the Sith.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
I'm really into the Knight and Padawan trees. Very well rounded with the basics of what you need to feel like a Jedi.

The focus on Lore is interesting too!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If I wanted to run a Beginner Box at a local tabletop gaming convention, which of the 4 boxes do we all think would be the best to run? I'm leaning toward the TFA one, just to stay in the currently-relevant era of Star Wars...but I haven't actually dug through the content of that one's adventure.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Isn't EOTE's beginner box pretty beloved?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I've only run the TFA beginner box once, and that was some time ago, but I remember it feeling really messy and seemed to heavily assume what the players would do much more than the EotE beginner box did. I've always enjoyed that one much more than the others anyway.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

If I wanted to run a Beginner Box at a local tabletop gaming convention, which of the 4 boxes do we all think would be the best to run? I'm leaning toward the TFA one, just to stay in the currently-relevant era of Star Wars...but I haven't actually dug through the content of that one's adventure.

I mean real talk the EotE Beginner box is a near perfect beginner adventure so I have to vote for that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

EotE and AoR are both good. Glare Peak from Rebellion day is excellent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've played a couple sessions of EotE before, but we're starting a campaign next month. Are there any, like, trap options to watch out for? At this point I'm probably playing a Mercenary Soldier. I thought about a Marauder, but Force-users might be in the cards and it seems like that would just get overshadowed.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've played a couple sessions of EotE before, but we're starting a campaign next month. Are there any, like, trap options to watch out for? At this point I'm probably playing a Mercenary Soldier. I thought about a Marauder, but Force-users might be in the cards and it seems like that would just get overshadowed.

Marauder is the melee guy right? That class is broken as poo poo. You get to 7 or 8 soak and the GM needs an e-web to hurt you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Marauders tear through everything in their path. Gadgeteers are a little less killy but still tough because of how they can trick out their gear (crit 1, anybody?)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Force Powers (eventually)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Force powers become op but it’s eventually (150-300 exp), you can play a Warrior: Shi-Cho Knight, be high brawn, dip into a tree with reflect later and be incredibly hard to hurt, start with 6 soak, rapidly pick up more plus Parry and Reflect from that second tree and just get better and better. Intelligence or Willpower are a useful secondary stat to pick up for better skills or useful offensive force powers but you can just do Brawn and some utility from powers like Sense. The big trick is to get a way to convert your force dice into better attack rolls, you can do that with Sense, Battle Meditation or an alternate lightsaber form tree but that means attacking with a different stat plus force dice.

Simple build is as much Brawn as you can afford (you can do 5 but it’ll leave you hyper focused on combat), pick another stat to increase to 3 or 4 if you prefer. Put skills wherever but grab 2 lightsaber if possible. Then grab 2 soak armour and a lightsaber if your GM allows it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

If you do play a Marauder just have a brawn of at least 4 and don't neglect your willpower; marauder doesn't get any strain threshold increases through grit. There are a bunch of good specializations for synergy. Bodyguard makes you more durable and gives you more options for long range combat. Shii-Cho Knight or Martial artist (bounty hunter book) will both improve close combat. Commando (Age of Rebellion) will help with durability and close quarter fighting. The knight only has three force talents in the tree so it's good for a non-force user as well. Enforcer from the hired gun book is a unarmed/social mixed specialization that doesn't do well on it's own but makes for a good second specialization.

I wouldn't recommend playing a Hutt because it's hard to get into melee with the low mobility, but just about any other species will do fine. Playing a swole member of one of the scrawnier species can be fun.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 19, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Servetus posted:

If you do play a Marauder just have a brawn of at least 4 and don't neglect your willpower;
Now, how to play a Dathomirian male without being a Savage Oppress ripoff...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Picked up Allies & Adversaries, Lasat seem pretty good. 3Brawn 3Agi to start and get some free skills and can walk on walls

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also got A&A today. Lemme know if anyone wants sweet stats

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Now, how to play a Dathomirian male without being a Savage Oppress ripoff...

Don't have him chasing after his brother all the time? Or just not be a Zabrak.

The big trap option for Marauders is overspecialization. It's really tempting to increase your Brawn to 5 and then get some armor, with padded armor you can get your soak to 7 right out of the gate. But if you don't have options other then hit things up close then you are going to have a boring time in the first vehicle combat you're in. Having at least 2 in Agility and Willpower is probably a better bet than a Brawn of 5 if it comes down to a choice between them so you can use a turret or use the fire discipline action. Or you can grab a blaster rifle in a pinch if enemies are up on a ledge and you can't reach them.

Taking 5 obligation for 1000 credits is also useful, grab padded armor and a force pike and you'll be pretty strong. The only problem is that when you have soak 6 and a base damage of 7 with pierce 2 right out of the gate the GM may have difficulty creating threats that challenge you without turning the rest of the party into hamburger.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 20, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

A Marauder can gently caress up a force dude pretty good

Particularly if you talk it through with the GM and they provide opportunities for you to chase down a bit of cortosis or beskar, maybe mid-campaign.

But even without that stuff, a vibro-ax Marauder will dice up squishier force-users, though they'll likely get diced up in turn.

Full melee-spec Inquisitors might be an issue since they've got a lot of beef to back up their lightsaber, but other than that.

One thing you could do is go Marauder in early game, pick up some of the really nice survivability talents, then later cross-spec into Heavy and use your Marauder muscles to carry around giant guns.

I'd talk to the other players about it and make sure none of em are planning to make some big paladin-type lightsaber knight, but other than that I wouldn't worry about being overshadowed or redundant in niche.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jivjov posted:

Also got A&A today. Lemme know if anyone wants sweet stats

How strong is episode four Obi-Wan Kenobi? And is he stronger than episode three?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

How strong is episode four Obi-Wan Kenobi? And is he stronger than episode three?

Old Ben has 3/3/5/5/5/4, 4 Soak, 15 Wounds and 20 Strain

Adversary 4, FR 6

Can buff nearby Force User's FR by 1 for an encounter, can flip a DP to draw all enemy attacks to him til his next turn ends.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Sounds like the stats are reasonably flavoursome - in your opinion are the characters as tough as they "should" be? I remember repeatedly hearing that FFG has a tendency to undertune their NPCs. Then again I've yet to have trouble with the stuff in the core books being too weak so perhaps the problem is overstated?

While I'm here, I'd also like some suggestions - my (non-Force sensitive!) players are going to be sneaking into an ancient Sith Lord's tomb on Korriban(!) to steal a holocron. What sort of things could I spring on them (ideally things they wouldn't have to shoot or stab, since they had a very combat heavy session last time)?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How da gently caress does Darth Vader not have a talent requiring you to make a hard fear check? But Bobba Fett has that talent!?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Covok posted:

How da gently caress does Darth Vader not have a talent requiring you to make a hard fear check? But Bobba Fett has that talent!?

That's a pretty big oversight... but at least it'd be relatively easy to slot in the talent (or hell, make the fear check on the fly). Of course, I could easily see a GM who isn't paying attention forgetting to add that talent or make a fear check. Only rationale I can think of - not having seen Vader's statblock since I don't have A&A - is that they thought he was strong enough as is and adding something like that would've been a bit overkill.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Covok posted:

Vader has Terrifying (each enemy at medium range at the beginning of each encounter must make a Hard 3x red fear check)

Covok
May 27, 2013

alg posted:

Vader has Terrifying (each enemy at medium range at the beginning of each encounter must make a Hard 3x red fear check)

Oh okay. I must have missed that. I was looking for fearful. I didn't realize there was an enhanced version called terrifying.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Is it bad that I immediately ended up thinking of a version of :iit: but with a Rebel saying it instead?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I'm trying to think of an EoTE one-shot adventure hook for a party consisting of:
A clone soldier deserter who specializes in heavy weaponry named "Artillery" (Artie for short)
A droid mechanic who used to be a companion to a jedi during the clone wars and tried to become a jedi before realizing that droids can't use the force, so now is just mechanically spiritual
A Bothan doctor on the run from crime bosses after falsely practicing chiropracty and stealing their diamonds
A generic scoundrel-type gunslinger.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards some kind of heist but I'd like to tie in the characters backstories somehow.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 24, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strange Cares posted:

I'm trying to think of an EoTE one-shot adventure hook for a party consisting of:
A clone soldier deserter who specializes in heavy weaponry named "Artillery" (Artie for short)
A droid mechanic who used to be a companion to a jedi during the clone wars and tried to become a jedi before realizing that droids can't use the force, so now is just mechanically spiritual
A Bothan doctor on the run from crime bosses after falsely practicing chiropracty and stealing their diamonds
A generic scoundrel-type gunslinger.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards some kind of heist but I'd like to tie in the characters backstories somehow.

easiest thing to do would be to make the heist something of Clone Wars vintage. A crashed separatist ship or old Republic listening post or something?

Are the doctor and gunslinger old enough to have been doing stuff during the war? You could flash back and do an encounter during a battle or something.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
This might not be the best place to ask, but I couldn't find a thread on the Genesys system in general so...

I picked up the Genesys main book and Shadow of the Beanstalk because I'm interested in running a campaign in the Android setting. I've played a one shot with the Star Wars system before and as I understand it, Genesys kind of came out of the mechanics of that game. Are there any major differences between the two or is it just kind of a reskin? And has anyone actually run a campaign in this setting at all? I wouldn't mind getting a few pointers on how to get everyone started and creating a party, I'm still learning the setting a bit myself so my biggest hurdle right now is trying to come up with a reason for the party to be exist and go on some potentially dangerous adventures.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

jivjov posted:

easiest thing to do would be to make the heist something of Clone Wars vintage. A crashed separatist ship or old Republic listening post or something?

Are the doctor and gunslinger old enough to have been doing stuff during the war? You could flash back and do an encounter during a battle or something.

Bonus points if the crime bosses who are after the doctor are also trying to steal whatever's in the crashed ship/listening post. Perhaps they're also interested in the gunslinger for whatever reason would be appropriate (their skill? They've had a run-in with the gunslinger in the past?) and they'd be happy to leave the group alone... if they sell their droid to them (after all, when you've been working around Jedi you've probably got some very valuable data in your databanks). Or maybe they try to take the droid by force instead. Though of course you should probably be careful with the droid suggestion since it would suck for the droid's player if the rest of the party went "Okay, have fun!" and just forked the droid over.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 24, 2019

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This might not be the best place to ask, but I couldn't find a thread on the Genesys system in general so...

I picked up the Genesys main book and Shadow of the Beanstalk because I'm interested in running a campaign in the Android setting. I've played a one shot with the Star Wars system before and as I understand it, Genesys kind of came out of the mechanics of that game. Are there any major differences between the two or is it just kind of a reskin? And has anyone actually run a campaign in this setting at all? I wouldn't mind getting a few pointers on how to get everyone started and creating a party, I'm still learning the setting a bit myself so my biggest hurdle right now is trying to come up with a reason for the party to be exist and go on some potentially dangerous adventures.

I'm in a similar boat and so far it looks like the systems are pretty interchangable. The assistance rules are a little different but that's all that's jumped out at me so far. There's a lot in the SotB book to lead to adventures (especially the examples/adventure builder section in the back of the book) but I think the easiest way to get your players on dangerous outings is to leverage the Favor system heavily.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rise of the Separatists is finally shipping! Street dated for May 9th

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I haven't checked out the android stuff but the main difference that stood out to me between this and Genesys is the elimination of careers and specs in favour of archetypes and the talent pyramid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mechanically, the games play pretty much identically. As the name would imply, Genesys is a generic version of the Star Wars RPG system, so the differences are mainly geared towards making things more open and flexible. Rather than having specializations, talents are tiered, and available to anyone. Magic is a group of skills rather than using separate Force dice, and player characters are given specific flaws and desires rather than obligation/duty/morality.