Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

High Lord Elbow posted:

Which screws have the square opening that I always end up jamming a cheap Phillips Head screwdriver into?

Robertson.

Blame the Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I like when I’m doing a project that uses two different types of screws and I have to keep switching between bits. That’s p sweet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I like when I’m doing a project that uses two different types of screws and I have to keep switching between bits. That’s p sweet.

I dismantled a loft in my garage from the previous owners of my house, it had an assortment of philips, two sizes of torx, and a few squares. All of them were sunk into 3/4” osb so most of the time you couldn’t tell what it was until you tried.

Philips aside, I don’t generally care what is used, I have bits for everything, but gently caress, be consistent per project.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anybody who uses slotted screws in a place where they have even a 1% chance of rusting needs to be fired into the sun though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

Lanes are easy if you stay alert. Wipers and headlights will get mixed up at least once every time you switch sides.

Just hire a Euro make. They are too proud to switch sides so they make them the wrong way around.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ExplodingSims posted:

Anybody who uses slotted screws in a place where they have even a 1% chance of rusting needs to be fired into the sun though.

I discovered this as a very young man, living on my own, fixing the glorified corrugated shed I was living in.

It's also when I decided, "gently caress it" and started using hex head roofing screws for anything which didn't need a flush fit and wasn't anywhere I'd see it often.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Anybody who uses slotted screws needs to be fired into the sun though.

The slotted driver is for stabbing anyone who brings slotted fasteners onto your property. This may explain my difficulties hiring an electrician.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The only reason slotted still exists, near as I can tell, is that someone, somewhere, at some point decided if a screw if going to be regularly seen, like on hinges, maybe furniture, etc..., Then it has to be slotted because it looks nicer.

Granted, that's 100% opinion based, I don't think slotted look any nicer than most other drive types, but I guess that's why we all curse when we have to replace doors/hinges with not just slotted ..but good ol soft brass slotted.

I did a cursory search, and while I didn't find star/Torx flathead brass woodscrews, I did find hex flathead brass, so I think the next house I buy I'm going to get a bunch and preemptively replace all the hinge screws with them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ah yes, soft brass slotted.

Because slotted isn't bad enough on it's own*, let's make something you can't even put in with a drill or it'll snap off halfway in.

* said no one ever.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've heard from tons of friends who had to move or spend time in Australia or Japan or something that the switch wasn't remotely as hard as they thought it would be and they got used to it extremely quickly.

Yeah, it wasn't difficult at all - I feel that I was worried about nothing. I will admit that I played some ETS2 and drove around in England for an hour or so to try to get used to it, but I don't think I needed to.

That said, I've never driven a RHD car and I feel that I might be weird about shifting for a bit but it would probably come quick.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bad Munki posted:

Philips aside, I don’t generally care what is used, I have bits for everything, but gently caress, be consistent per project.

This is a problem with everything. I do phone repair for a living, and taking apart a recent iPhone needs 4 different screwdrivers. A pentalobe to remove the bottom screws and take off the screen, a Phillips for most of the screws inside, a tri-point for the home button and some of the cover plates, and either a slotted or one that looks like a flat-ended Phillips for these screw-down screw holders they use to hold the logic board down.

The tri-points are really bad about stripping, and once you get dust in the pentalobes they can also be hard to remove.

It also seems like there’s some variation on the screwdrivers at those small sizes. I’ll get a phone that’s supposed to use a T4 Torx, and I’ll have to use one size up or down because the T4 won’t fit/just spins. And the same size driver from another set works just fine. Ditto for the pentalobes and tri-point, either the drivers get worn out from a bad screw, or some just work better than others to start with.

And drilling/grinding out a screw on a phone is scary, and fortunately usually avoidable. But it has come to that when the loc-tite they used is tougher than the metal in the screw head.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Security Torx" is bad because you need two screwdrivers: a regular one to snap off the centre bit and then a Torx head.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Security Torx" is bad because you need two screwdrivers: a regular one to snap off the centre bit and then a Torx head.

Just get a security bit set, they're like $10. Security Torx, security hex, spanner, etc...

Though in my experience, the only security bits I've encountered were at my last job repairing medical equipment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just get a security bit set, they're like $10. Security Torx, security hex, spanner, etc...

Uhh... no?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Motronic posted:

No. At least not near me. Just about everyone is using start drive for everything (except drywall which, as I mentioned before is the perfect use case for phillips).

Phillips for drywall is perfect. Because they cam out, it's great for use with a purpose built drywall drill. I have a great corded Milwaukee that uses a clutch and a depth stop. You don't even have to turn the drill off to put a new screw in. It only drives with pressure and then it cams out and it's perfect every time. It also works great for framing with Torx. You can't over drive the screw. It's 3/4 HP too so it's super fast.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Phillips was designed to cam out past a certain amount of resistance. It does a great job when that's called fot! The problem is when it's used in many situations where you need to keep driving the screw even though it's passing the cam out threshold.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m on vacation in Hawaii and now I’m just staring at all the stripped Philips heads I see in my hotel.

Thanks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Dave posted:

I’m on vacation in Hawaii and now I’m just staring at all the stripped Philips heads I see in my hotel.

Thanks.

You either need to take more drugs or less drugs.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I asked this in the home ownership thread but may as well ask here. I have an attached garage and have only the fire barrier wall covered in drywall. The rest was unfinished, so I put in electrical and insulation, but I haven't made up my mind about cladding the walls. Drywall is the safest option but a pain in the rear end and plywood/osb would be easier for setting up my wall storage. The building code says walls adjacent to living spaces must be drywall, which I take to mean just the one wall.

Any thoughts on what you'd recommend? I use it for woodworking so the space will likely take some abuse but I already keep a fire extinguisher there and don't store liquid flammables in large quantities (<1gallon of solvents and stains).

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

I asked this in the home ownership thread but may as well ask here. I have an attached garage and have only the fire barrier wall covered in drywall. The rest was unfinished, so I put in electrical and insulation, but I haven't made up my mind about cladding the walls. Drywall is the safest option but a pain in the rear end and plywood/osb would be easier for setting up my wall storage. The building code says walls adjacent to living spaces must be drywall, which I take to mean just the one wall.

Any thoughts on what you'd recommend? I use it for woodworking so the space will likely take some abuse but I already keep a fire extinguisher there and don't store liquid flammables in large quantities (<1gallon of solvents and stains).

My opinion as a professional firefighter is drywall. It’s basically fireproof. OSB and similar woods are made using large amounts of chemicals and glue and burn so easy that basically yelling at them loudly can cause them to ignite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

My opinion as a professional firefighter is drywall. It’s basically fireproof. OSB and similar woods are made using large amounts of chemicals and glue and burn so easy that basically yelling at them loudly can cause them to ignite.

What about some of the other options presented here?
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/alternatives-drywall-garage-walls-89033.html

I'm gonna be doing the same thing in my garage eventually. I had a sorta idea of using something other than drywall, if only because it'd be easier to mount french cleats or other hardware on the walls for modular storage if I don't have to always find a stud to go into. But I definitely don't want to create a fire hazard.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Oh I understand completely. My only reason why I am not considering it for sure is I am going to need to then mount wood shelving/cleats over it, and the garage has no ceiling, it is open framing above so I reduce my combustible load by doing drywall but certainly don't protect the garage structure by doing it.

My main concern is fire spread to the home portions, which would require burning through the fire barrier.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

It’s an attached garage right? If you don’t care about losing the garage in the event of a fire, then do whatever you want, really. Just make sure the wall that actually touches the house is drywall. If you do care about losing the garage should a fire breakout, then do drywall. If you have an open attic area in the garage, then it doesn’t much matter. I don’t know how old your home is, but if the trusses in the garage are made using gusset plates, your roof is almost guaranteed to cave in if there is a fire and no drywall ceiling.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Would something like pegboard that's made with storage in mind not work?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It’s an attached garage right? If you don’t care about losing the garage in the event of a fire, then do whatever you want, really. Just make sure the wall that actually touches the house is drywall. If you do care about losing the garage should a fire breakout, then do drywall. If you have an open attic area in the garage, then it doesn’t much matter. I don’t know how old your home is, but if the trusses in the garage are made using gusset plates, your roof is almost guaranteed to cave in if there is a fire and no drywall ceiling.

Not open trusses, thankfully; it is 1953 construction and fairly well-built with lots of old-growth wood studs and planking on the roof instead of plywood, but no ceiling joists were ever put in across beams running the length of the house parallel to the roof's ridgeline. I prefer having the wide open ceiling space to work.

I am colored by the fact that the fire department is 2 blocks away, and my obsession with housekeeping means I secure ignition sources when I am not working in there.

I might try doing one of the walls in drywall and see how I feel then.

As for pegboard, that stuff burns very well.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

Not open trusses, thankfully; it is 1953 construction and fairly well-built with lots of old-growth wood studs and planking on the roof instead of plywood, but no ceiling joists were ever put in across beams running the length of the house parallel to the roof's ridgeline. I prefer having the wide open ceiling space to work.

I am colored by the fact that the fire department is 2 blocks away, and my obsession with housekeeping means I secure ignition sources when I am not working in there.

I might try doing one of the walls in drywall and see how I feel then.

Just don’t do anything dumb like leave a rag soaked in a combustible liquid in a garbage can in your garage and I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Just don’t do anything dumb like leave a rag soaked in a combustible liquid in a garbage can in your garage and I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Hah, that goes outside to dry out, then trash outside. Plus I have been vacuuming up dust and unplugging my tools when I leave, and installed a window that opens for cross-ventilation. My main concern is combustible dust based on the work I do in there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tbh I would prioritize storage over fire safety for a garage. Do your smelting away from the sawdust.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I clad my shop walls in 3/4" OSB, it's so baller mounting stuff to that.

That being said, my shop is a detached steel building roughly 150' from my house with nothing but open lawn between.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Being a firefighter I’m overly cautious about everything, but really do whatever you want and statistically you’ll probably be fine.

Why yes my house does have 10 smoke detectors and 3 carbon monoxide detectors, why do you ask?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

Seems like most cladding burns very well unless it's made specifically to be fire resistant. So if you're not going in that direction, why not the easy to hang poo poo one?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Being a firefighter I’m overly cautious about everything, but really do whatever you want and statistically you’ll probably be fine.

Why yes my house does have 10 smoke detectors and 3 carbon monoxide detectors, why do you ask?

Being a property insurance adjuster means having smoke, CO2, and water leak detectors everywhere, and ABC fire exinguishers
at every major doorway and top & bottom of stairs.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:staredog:
Was that a mains powered detector that shorted?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's like one of those outlet-on-a-reel things, except it's an entire panel!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey you didnt specify that the walll couldnt be free floating.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey you didnt specify that the walll couldnt be free floating.

Load bearing electrons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

We have been touched by His noodly appendages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:staredog:
Was that a mains powered detector that shorted?

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/529vln/my_smoke_detector_caught_on_fire/ I took it from here and they mention later that there's no battery so looks like you're right