Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think Adventurers is my least favorite level so far. Like, it’s cool that the rules can be used to create a totally different game. It really is! The problem is that I hate the different game and I don’t want to play it. Eventually I just had to look up the solution, and it still took me three tries to emulate it because placing the belts is so fiddly and precise. I just want to play Baba is You! At the very least it shouldn’t take so long to try out a configuration and reverse back when it inevitably doesn’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ariong posted:

I think Adventurers is my least favorite level so far. Like, it’s cool that the rules can be used to create a totally different game. It really is! The problem is that I hate the different game and I don’t want to play it. Eventually I just had to look up the solution, and it still took me three tries to emulate it because placing the belts is so fiddly and precise. I just want to play Baba is You! At the very least it shouldn’t take so long to try out a configuration and reverse back when it inevitably doesn’t work.

the solution in videos is cool but it's a lot easier to just set up belt is push and belt is shift so you can move all the skulls out of the way and set up the exact conveyor chain you need

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Switch is me and Baba is good

Or something

This is the perfect chillout game at night

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

McFrugal posted:

That's correct. Every location you need to win is accessible to you now.

Oh, Meta is still lit up. I have to 'Win' Meta so it goes dark to get the area complete for Depths.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Did a goon actually make this?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Did a goon actually make this?
Yes, Hempuli

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wtf I’m picking this up now

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
This game makes me feel like a complete dumbass, I love it. I've been breathlessly recommending it to all my friends despite only making it to the fourth world so far.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I should probably add this to the OP considering it's in the title :v:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can anyone offer a hint for Ghost Friend (Fall 4-7)? I feel like I have kind of the idea but I can't get it to work. I would have just looked it up, but apparently it was modified via patch within the last day or two.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That is a thing I also ran into when I started playing. Itt people would discuss levels and their map numbers wouldn't match with mine or a puzzle element would be present/absent on their end and not match with my copy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, they have patched it several times and rearranged levels. Apparently in the previous iteration of that puzzle you could skip that entire puzzle by just making Baba Is Win so they fixed that.

While I'm at it, I just did Fall-10 ("Not There") pretty easily, but I am confused about why that worked. I did it by making Fence Is Not Stop (and then Fence Is Win), but there was already a Fence Is Stop defined. Why did my Fence Is Not Stop override Fence Is Stop? I thought the rule was that if a preexisting rule contradicted a new one you made, yours wouldn't work, but this seems to have been the opposite. I didn't really think it would work when I tried it. I am very tired from waking up at 4:30am for the last couple weeks -- not the ideal mental state for a game like this! -- so maybe I am missing something obvious.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Order of existence doesn't matter. Not simply has precedence over is.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hi! I'll make a post about some stuff a bit later, but for now there's an AMA going about Baba at /r/NintendoSwitch: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/ben6qj/hi_im_hempuli_the_developer_of_baba_is_you_ask_me/

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
219. 4 orbs. Meta remains incomplete. I feel like the only place the last level can possibly be is in the cursor, which would be fully on brand. Problem is I can’t see any way of getting any of the Level text anywhere useful for making X is Level. I tried turning the cursor into a ghost and mousing over it with another cursor, but that apparently blocks it (which seems to me to be inconsistent with how the two hidden levels in ??? worked?) so I’m kinda stuck for ideas here. I have no idea what kind of crazy gambit I even need to plan.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
This assumption:

Fedule posted:

Problem is I can't see any way of getting any of the Level text anywhere useful for making X is Level.

is incorrect.

e: a bit more of a hint: now would be a good time to review the levels you've completed so far and what options you have for each of them

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ah, goddamn Booby Trap. The possibility of the Level is Text solution serving a purpose bugged me for ages and then I forgot all about it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I didn’t think I’d still have questions after blooming Meta but the last level I found was marked 4. I never found an extra 3. Was that the one in the flower with the orb? Is there actually not a level in the cursor? At 220/11/4 is it really ALL is DONE?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fedule posted:

219. 4 orbs. Meta remains incomplete. I feel like the only place the last level can possibly be is in the cursor, which would be fully on brand. Problem is I can’t see any way of getting any of the Level text anywhere useful for making X is Level. I tried turning the cursor into a ghost and mousing over it with another cursor, but that apparently blocks it (which seems to me to be inconsistent with how the two hidden levels in ??? worked?) so I’m kinda stuck for ideas here. I have no idea what kind of crazy gambit I even need to plan.

Wait, how did you get a second cursor?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

McFrugal posted:

Wait, how did you get a second cursor?

It’s pretty simple to use all but one of the flags to open enough doors, make Cursor is Ghost, then make Flag is Cursor.

Also wtf A Way Out is impossible now? It feels like a hard mode remix of the version that’s in Meta.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
This game is awesome and also really hard! I know this is going to seem like super old news to most of you, but can I get a hint on Level Island-Extra 4 "Dim Signal"? I figure I need to make "FLAG AND ROCK AND ICE IS WIN", but I don't see enough bits to fill in the gaps at the end of the rows--the only thing available is the STOP word.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Davin Valkri posted:

This game is awesome and also really hard! I know this is going to seem like super old news to most of you, but can I get a hint on Level Island-Extra 4 "Dim Signal"? I figure I need to make "FLAG AND ROCK AND ICE IS WIN", but I don't see enough bits to fill in the gaps at the end of the rows--the only thing available is the STOP word.

Pushing the words until they hit an object isn't the only way to stop them on the space you need.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have now been stuck on the supposedly easy patched version of A Way Out for like ten times as long as it took me to solve the very hard endgame remix version.

What was even so wrong with the original? It was a great level!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bloody Emissary posted:

Pushing the words until they hit an object isn't the only way to stop them on the space you need.

Got it! Not sure if the intended solution was to cross "FLAG AND ROCK AND ICE IS WIN" with "COG IS MOVE" while Baba waited on the flag, but it worked!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man. Finally got it. Weirdly unsatisfying puzzle.

But man. Apart from this one surprising sour note, the whole game was gold. Front runner for 2019 for sure. Astonishing achievement in puzzle design. I am in awe at the sheer variety of approaches taken by the various levels, and I feel like on top of everything else this will even replay better than most puzzle games on account of it being almost impossible to remember so many tricks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

I have now been stuck on the supposedly easy patched version of A Way Out for like ten times as long as it took me to solve the very hard endgame remix version.

I had a fairly standard time with it when I got to it after release, had a somewhat harder time with the remixed version, and then I went back to the first Way Out after it had been patched to be completely different and the hardest/weirdest incarnation yet. It's almost like that one puzzle getting constantly screwed around with is part of the puzzle, but that just makes the remixed version even weirder because it's really easy by comparison now. I feel like it should be replaced with something else, having a remix of the "final puzzle" feels kinda weird in the first place.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A Way Out used to have more moving parts to it but also be solvable without utilizing several elements. While trying to update it so that the player can't just skip entire parts of the puzzle (namely the Belt Is Shift room on the left I decided to remove one of the parts (the Skull Is Defeat bit) to make the level less overwhelming. Around this time I also saw a pretty interesting alternative solution, and since I was kind of fond of the aforementioned removed part, I ended up adding the remixed level, especially the spot where it's located now really needed something. I've tried not to massively mind there being alternative solutions as long as they still use most of the elements present, but it may very well be that A Way Out is currently harder than it should be, or that Another Way is easier.

Unrelated, but thanks to everyone here for the discussion & comments and sorry for fairly selectively replying to things! I've read it all (and recently re-read the thread) but the release has been quite exhausing and that has affected my ability to exhaustively (heh) reply to questions etc.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Fedule posted:

Retrying it myself. How are you supposed to use the BELT is SHIFT room? I can't think of a way to get KEKE past the left-facing belt without deactivating it, but BELT needs to be SHIFT to get him to face downwards...but re-activating BELT is SHIFT will trap Baba in the BELT room. :confused:

I suspect BABA is PUSH has something to do with it but I'll be damned if I can figure out what.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bloody Emissary posted:

Retrying it myself. How are you supposed to use the BELT is SHIFT room? I can't think of a way to get KEKE past the left-facing belt without deactivating it, but BELT needs to be SHIFT to get him to face downwards...but re-activating BELT is SHIFT will trap Baba in the BELT room. :confused:

I suspect BABA is PUSH has something to do with it but I'll be damned if I can figure out what.

it's possible and your last sentence is not relevant

not sure how much i can reduce this without making it incomprehensible so here's the only hint you'll get beyond the above: push IS SHIFT up one tile, do what you need to do outside the room, then push keke in the room and remotely change him to MOVE so that he pushes BELT back in place and reactivates the belts without you being there

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bloody Emissary posted:

BELT needs to be SHIFT to get him to face downwards...

I don't follow your logic.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I keep going back and poking at A Way Out and giving up on it, but i'm only in World 6 so maybe it'll make sense to me by the time I get some more maps done.

Can I get a hint on Trio?

I've gotten KEKE past the skulls by using the clouds on the left to give him a ride on ME's head but then when KEKE falls into the pit he waddles into the BABA IS YOU area and I can't figure out how the frick to get him to turn around. You can't turn KEKE into ME at that point because of the cloud blocking the SKULL IS DEFEAT that you're trying to move out of the way with KEKE. I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

McFrugal posted:

I don't follow your logic.

Maybe I'm still too attached to the original way I solved the level and it needs to be done completely differently now. I originally used the downward-facing BELT to get a moving KEKE to push the ROCK text downward so that I could push it to the right (once I was inside the pocket just below it and to the left), creating ROCK is PUSH and letting me get out via the upper ICE tile. That's impossible to do in the current version of the level, as far as I can see, but I have no idea what else I would need BELT active for besides changing the direction of a moving KEKE.

A Way Out? got reverted to a previous version about two hours ago, by the way, so I'm currently trying to solve this:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mistaya posted:

I keep going back and poking at A Way Out and giving up on it, but i'm only in World 6 so maybe it'll make sense to me by the time I get some more maps done.

Can I get a hint on Trio?

I've gotten KEKE past the skulls by using the clouds on the left to give him a ride on ME's head but then when KEKE falls into the pit he waddles into the BABA IS YOU area and I can't figure out how the frick to get him to turn around. You can't turn KEKE into ME at that point because of the cloud blocking the SKULL IS DEFEAT that you're trying to move out of the way with KEKE. I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Okay here's the obvious thing you're missing: Objects that are MOVE will turn around when they bump into something.

Additional hint in case that line of thinking doesn't work: Is there another place you can get KEKE to turn around?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 19, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bloody Emissary posted:

Maybe I'm still too attached to the original way I solved the level and it needs to be done completely differently now. I originally used the downward-facing BELT to get a moving KEKE to push the ROCK text downward so that I could push it to the right (once I was inside the pocket just below it and to the left), creating ROCK is PUSH and letting me get out via the upper ICE tile. That's impossible to do in the current version of the level, as far as I can see, but I have no idea what else I would need BELT active for besides changing the direction of a moving KEKE.

A Way Out? got reverted to a previous version about two hours ago, by the way, so I'm currently trying to solve this:

my previous post was about that version of it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bloody Emissary posted:

Oh I see, I thought you were talking about the other belt. Your original way was probably unintended.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

:biglips:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bloody Emissary posted:

This is the version I had, and l didn’t have too much trouble with it. I’m curious what this other version is that people are talking about. Here’s a hint: the puzzle really only has two parts. 1. Since you can’t undo Keke is move, you have to pick a place for Keke and stick with it. Where should Keke go? 2. In order to get to FLAG IS, you’ll need to get past the rocks. How will you do that?

This puzzle has the issue that a lot of later puzzles have where the number of rules is a little overwhelming and makes it difficult to do the math on which rules you need to construct. This puzzle in particular has a red herring in the form of BABA is PUSH. The way that that rule has two points of access surrounding it implies that you need to interact with it in some way, but you never touch it. In fact, I’m not sure why the rule is there at all. I can’t think of another level with a totally irrelevant rule.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I keep solving a puzzle, thinking I didn't, thrn looking it up and realizing I did and I'm dumb :v:

I hate move though

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

guppy posted:

Can anyone offer a hint for Ghost Friend (Fall 4-7)? I feel like I have kind of the idea but I can't get it to work. I would have just looked it up, but apparently it was modified via patch within the last day or two.

I just figured this out tonight after a while, here's a fairly revealing hint.

Flag and Baba are locked together and can't move horizontally too far without running into a deadly skull. Instead of trying to directly circumvent this, think about which objects can be pulled without requiring D-pad movement inputs, and how pull can be combined with move. This level taught me the timing of pull/move that wasn't intuitive at first but I guess make sense if that's the way the game rules function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

A Way Out used to have more moving parts to it but also be solvable without utilizing several elements. While trying to update it so that the player can't just skip entire parts of the puzzle (namely the Belt Is Shift room on the left I decided to remove one of the parts (the Skull Is Defeat bit) to make the level less overwhelming. Around this time I also saw a pretty interesting alternative solution, and since I was kind of fond of the aforementioned removed part, I ended up adding the remixed level, especially the spot where it's located now really needed something. I've tried not to massively mind there being alternative solutions as long as they still use most of the elements present, but it may very well be that A Way Out is currently harder than it should be, or that Another Way is easier.

Unrelated, but thanks to everyone here for the discussion & comments and sorry for fairly selectively replying to things! I've read it all (and recently re-read the thread) but the release has been quite exhausing and that has affected my ability to exhaustively (heh) reply to questions etc.

Are your music-making streams archived anywhere? I'm guessing "no" since Twitch doesn't have them but I've been attempting to emulate/remix the music and I'm embarrassingly bad at reverse-engineering synth instruments, even knowing that they're all based on basic waveforms.

...at least, I think you streamed music creation, it's possible I'm mis-remembering.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 19, 2019