Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean I like Brandon Sanderson but if this is people's criteria for good fantasy/sci-fi, it sounds like that's going to funnel them into becoming a connoisseur of endless franchise schlock and just picking out the better ones.

Oh yeah like he's not The Greatest Ever, he's just the kind of guy who actually does got super into worldbuilding and system-building and then have his characters try to exploit those as they learn about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's only one author who manages to balance compelling character writing and extensive worldbuilding and it's the our best living writer, Kinoko Nasu.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

All the Silicon Valley transhumanism is just people who don't believe in anything, coping with the fact that they're going to die some day.

Nah, they just believe in a dumb imaginary thing that's less generally accepted than all the other dumb imaginary things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, they just believe in a dumb imaginary thing that's less generally accepted than all the other dumb imaginary things.

Nah, most of them switch from thing to thing too quickly to have ever really believed in any of them. If they did I'd expect a lot more suicides from people radically destroying their most central beliefs....again, and again, and again.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
That's because central to all those kinds of beliefs is "I'm not actually going to die though, right?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

That's because central to all those kinds of beliefs is "I'm not actually going to die though, right?"

Mulva posted:

Nah, most of them switch from thing to thing too quickly to have ever really believed in any of them. If they did I'd expect a lot more suicides from people radically destroying their most central beliefs....again, and again, and again.

*Dracula smiles at his throne while clutching his wineglass*

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Gene Wolf author of The Book of the New Sun, a tetralogy set in the Vancian Dying Earth subgenre, died yesterday.

https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/

quote:

Author and Grand Master Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019

The science fiction and fantasy community has lost a beloved icon. We are extremely sad to report that author and SFWA Grand Master Gene Wolfe passed away on Sunday, April 14, 2019 after his long battle with heart disease. He was 87.

Gene Wolfe was born in New York on May 7, 1931. He studied at Texas A&M for a few years before dropping out and fighting in the Korean War. After his return to the US he finished his degree at the University of Houston. He was an engineer, and worked as the editor of the professional journal Plant Engineering. He was also instrumental in inventing the machine that cooks Pringles potato chips. He pursued his own writing during his editorial tenure at Plant Engineering, but it took a few years before one of his books gained wider notice in the sci-fi community: the novella that eventually became The Fifth Head of Cerberus. The whole tale was finally released as three linked novellas in 1972, and this is the beautiful opening passage:

When I was a boy my brother and I had to go bed early whether we were sleepy or not. In summer particularly, bedtime often came before sunset; and because our dormitory was in the east wing of the house, with a broad window facing the central courtyard and thus looking west, the hard, pinkish light sometimes streamed in for hours while we lay staring out at my father’s crippled monkey perched on a flaking parapet, or telling stories, one bed to another, with soundless gestures.

Wolfe went on to write over 30 novels, with his best best-known work, The Book of The New Sun, spanning 1980-1983. The series is a tetralogy set in the Vancian Dying Earth subgenre, and follows the journey of Severian, a member of the Guild of Torturers, after he is exiled for the sin of mercy. Over the course of the series the books won British Science Fiction, World Fantasy, British Fantasy, Locus, Nebula, and Campbell Memorial Awards. In 1998 poll, the readers of Locus magazine considered the series as a single entry and ranked it third in a poll of fantasy novels published before 1990, following only The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Wolfe’s fans include Michael Swanwick, Neil Gaiman, Patrick O’Leary, Ursula K. Le Guin, and many, many more, and he was praised for his exciting prose and depth of character. Asked by editor Damon Knight to name his biggest influences, he replied: “G. K. Chesterton and Marks’ [Standard] Handbook for [Mechanical] Engineers.” In 2015 The New Yorker published this profile of Wolfe by Peter Bebergal, in which the two discussed his decades-long career—it’s well worth a read.

Wolfe won the Edward E. Smith Memorial Award in 1989, the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement in 1996, and was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 2007. In 2012, The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America named him its 29th SFWA Grand Master.

Wolfe is survived by his daughters Madeleine (Dan) Fellers, Mountain Home, Arkansas, Teri (Alan) Goulding, Woodridge, Illinois, son, Matthew Wolfe, Atlanta, Georgia and 3 granddaughters, Rebecca (Spizzirri), Elizabeth (Goulding) and Alison (Goulding).

He leaves behind an impressive body of work, but nonetheless, he will be dearly missed.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I've been rather out of it all day as a result of learning about his passing this morning. I'm in grad school these days and a key part of what I want to do is write about Wolfe in the academy.

Here's a quotation I found from him:

Gene Wolfe posted:

I would like [my readers] to better understand human beings and human life as a result of having read [my] stories. I'd like them to feel that this was an experience that made things better for them and an experience that gave them hope. I think that the kind of things that we talk about at this conference -- fantasy very much so, science fiction, and even horror -- the message that we're sending is the reverse of the message sent by what is called "realistic fiction." (I happen to think that realistic fiction is not, in fact, realistic, but that's a side issue.) And what we are saying is that it doesn't have to be like this: things can be different. Our society can be changed. Maybe it's worse, maybe it's better. Maybe it's a higher civilization, maybe it's a barbaric civilization. But it doesn't have to be the way it is now. Things can change. And we're also saying things can change for you in your life. Look at the difference between Severian the apprentice and Severian the Autarch [in The Book of the New Sun], for example. The difference beteween Silk as an augur and Silk as calde [in The Book of the Long Sun]. You see?

We don't always have to be this. There can be something else. We can stop doing the thing that we're doing. Moms Mabley had a great line in some movie or other -- she said, "You keep on doing what you been doing and you're gonna keep on gettin' what you been gettin'." And we don't have to keep on doing what we've been doing. We can do something else if we don't like what we're gettin'. I think a lot of the purpose of fiction ought to be to tell people that.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RIP the Inventor of Pringles

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Plutonis posted:

RIP the Inventor of Pringles

His mustache will live on, in our hearts and on Pringles cans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Gene Wolf author of The Book of the New Sun, a tetralogy set in the Vancian Dying Earth subgenre, died yesterday.

https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/
...I finished reading Citadel of the Autarch just a few days before he died.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

...I finished reading Citadel of the Autarch just a few days before he died.

Then now's the perfect time for a memorial rereading (I kid, but the books genuinely benefit hugely from a second read).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The incest alone will take me three readings to figure out.

But seriously, he's the first person I was thinking of when I said that if your criteria for good writing is straightforward plotting and a setting where everything fantastical is rationalized, you'll really miss out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

The incest alone will take me three readings to figure out.

But seriously, he's the first person I was thinking of when I said that if your criteria for good writing is straightforward plotting and a setting where everything fantastical is rationalized, you'll really miss out.

The incest is somehow deeply moving.

Also, you'll be amazed to learn that core Wolfe fandom has been spending decades trying to precisely rationalize every event in the Book of the New Sun, and downplay Severian's personal journey as purely distraction from the real questions of plot and setting systematization. I know, I don't get it either.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Replaying FFX and thinking... Has someone tried to make an advancement system on RPGs like the sphere grid...

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I kinda got that feeling from the way you follow the skill trees in the FFG Star Wars games

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

The incest is somehow deeply moving.

Also, you'll be amazed to learn that core Wolfe fandom has been spending decades trying to precisely rationalize every event in the Book of the New Sun, and downplay Severian's personal journey as purely distraction from the real questions of plot and setting systematization. I know, I don't get it either.
In a perverse way, I can see their point. The last book implies that since Severian is destined to become the New Sun, and the Increate's powers transcend time, so he's using time-travel to repeatedly edit his life story so that Severian goes where Severian needs Severian to go. (I think I got that right?)

I admit, there were a lot of little details I didn't quite understand until I got to skim a copy of GURPS New Sun. Do you find it's basically right in how it explains mundane things, like how the soldiers' lances work?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I have not read GURPS New Sun, I haven't been able to justify buying a GURPS book I'll never use, but if they claim lances are future flamethrowers and slings are rifles that's about my sense.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 16, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Replaying FFX and thinking... Has someone tried to make an advancement system on RPGs like the sphere grid...

I mean, if you think of careers as a chain together, thats how Warhammer Fantasy works.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

In a perverse way, I can see their point. The last book implies that since Severian is destined to become the New Sun, and the Increate's powers transcend time, so he's using time-travel to repeatedly edit his life story so that Severian goes where Severian needs Severian to go. (I think I got that right?)

Also, Severian is an unreliable narrator, and I always got the implication that he wasn't really aware of it.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
D&D 4e feats are like the sphere grid: the core concept is good but there are way too loving many of them, optimization is both trivial yet tedious, and midway through the game you just give up trying to identify meaningful things to work towards and settle for mindless cookie cutter paths of least resistance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember the sphere grid mainly as a linear path of small individual advancements with occasional short branches towards special abilities. Much like the actual maps in FF games from X onwards are narrow linear paths with occasional branches to a treasure chest. Seems easy enough to model. FF games tend to be based around stats in the mid-to-high double digits, though, and while that gives you plenty of room to include a bunch of "+1 Strength" upgrades on your advancement path, it's also very much a computer-based model of play and not really conductive to pen & paper.

13th Age feels like it's halfway there with its incremental advances model, if you tweak that you could arrive at something very much like the sphere grid.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, Severian is an unreliable narrator, and I always got the implication that he wasn't really aware of it.

Wolfe always said Severian wasn't unreliable, in the sense that Severian more or less tells it like he saw it (with some notable, but very obvious, exceptions, because Severian is really bad at lying). What Severian is, is he's bad at pattern recognition, and his assumptions and mistakes color the narration on every level. Also, it's not entirely likely he as the Conciliator shaped his own life; rather, the Hierodules likely intervened - but that's partially based on the epilogue novel, Urth of the New Sun, which I consider interesting but not part of how I interpret the core story.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm like 70 pages behind but I wanted to say I was going through some boxes a few weeks ago and found the d10 I lost out of an otherwise complete dice set about a decade ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Wolfe always said Severian wasn't unreliable, in the sense that Severian more or less tells it like he saw it (with some notable, but very obvious, exceptions, because Severian is really bad at lying). What Severian is, is he's bad at pattern recognition, and his assumptions and mistakes color the narration on every level. Also, it's not entirely likely he as the Conciliator shaped his own life; rather, the Hierodules likely intervened - but that's partially based on the epilogue novel, Urth of the New Sun, which I consider interesting but not part of how I interpret the core story.

I think the thing is 'unreliable' narrator simply means a narrator whose account cannot be fully trusted because of its subjective viewpoint, not just from deliberate omissions and lies. One where the author specifically doesn't give them a full and true understanding of the events in question.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah, unreliable doesn’t necessarily mean dishonest. You can have an earnest and truthful narrator who either doesn’t understand things or is just in the dark.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

jeeves posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good system-unspecific GM screen that let's me print out my own materials and put them behind plastic or something?

Pinnacle used to make one that was amazing but I only ever saw it in my local game shop ONE time. It was basically a 4 panel binder with no actual binder parts inside so would fold up flat and had slots that you could insert pages on both sides of it. In theory, I guess you could somewhat replicate this by taking 2 binders, cutting the front and back panels off of each then using clear duct tape to join the panels together.

ninjaedit: and immediately after I post, I find this: https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-customizable-gm-screen/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

whydirt posted:

Yeah, unreliable doesn’t necessarily mean dishonest. You can have an earnest and truthful narrator who either doesn’t understand things or is just in the dark.
One of the interesting things about Severian's eidetic memory is that he remembers things as he experienced them at the time, and even he doesn't always seem able to piece things together. Other times he is disingenous rather than outright lying--like how in the first book he never mentions a sexual relationship with Thecla, which paints a certain picture of their relationship, but casually refers to it later on.

Splicer posted:

I'm like 70 pages behind but I wanted to say I was going through some boxes a few weeks ago and found the d10 I lost out of an otherwise complete dice set about a decade ago.
One day, I'll find the other "blood-spattered" die from my Masterbook Tales from the Crypt boxed set.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 17, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

It's a point I insist on because one common reading of the books is that Severian is basically antagonistic to the reader, a petty tyrant attempting to justify his rise to the throne, and any appearance of moral or personal change is a deception intended to shore up his claim to legitimacy.

It's a reading which I dislike strongly.

E: Jack's precisely correct about the effect of Sev's memory on his ability to recount events, imo.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Hey, I have a new game out now!

Psyber Knights is a one player, narrative game set in a dystopian future where you take on the role of a Psyber Knight in training. You must confront your mental weaknesses in order to strengthen yourself against psionic threats sent by the Oligarchs. Doing so will be difficult and will be painful, but you can do it, if you are willing to face the truth.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is gonna sound like a crazy person wrote it, but what was that game where you’re all dinosaurs in a 90’s sitcom and the resolution mechanic is eating wings?

Either this is real or I’m having a really slow burn of a stroke.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is gonna sound like a crazy person wrote it, but what was that game where you’re all dinosaurs in a 90’s sitcom and the resolution mechanic is eating wings?

Either this is real or I’m having a really slow burn of a stroke.

Pretty sure it's real. Dunno about mechanics but I can visualise the cover. I thought the game was called "Dinosaurs" but nope.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Jurassic Central Park.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You’re the best. Thank you!

Any other games with non-standard mechanics, I’d also love to know about them (and talk to their authors for information/permission). My friend and I are debating doing a thing showing off games that explore for lack of a better word “weird” design space.

Edit : and any info on how to contact this author would be cool. I’d prefer they liked the idea of some randos playing their game before we did this, and if nothing else would like to credit them as they’d prefer.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 19, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Any other games with non-standard mechanics, I’d also love to know about them (and talk to their authors for information/permission). My friend and I are debating doing a thing showing off games that explore for lack of a better word “weird” design space.

Edit : and any info on how to contact this author would be cool. I’d prefer they liked the idea of some randos playing their game before we did this, and if nothing else would like to credit them as they’d prefer.

Jurassic Central Park is actually a SA contest game from 2012. Not sure if Ulta is still around, but if you have archives, you can find the entry post here and an index of all submissions here.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Here are some examples (not exhaustive):

Games with physical non-standard mechanics:
Dread - pulling blocks from a jenga tower
Ten Candles - something about ten candles??
All Outta Bubblegum - chewing gum
Ribbon Drive - creating, narratively following, and switching between music playlists
Scherzando - creating simple live music
De Profundis - writing letters
Fortune Cookies and Nuclear War - reading fortune cookies
The Stress of Her Regard - mystic scrapbooking
Viewscream - video calling

Games with narrative non-standard mechanics (there are way more, but it's hard to define what's standard or non-standard now):
Metrofinal - narrating scenes until things get significantly weirder than they were at the start of the scene
Final Bid - spending your character's qualities, possessions, history, etc. to buy auctioned narration rights
Polaris (and hacks like Thou Art But A Warrior) - negotiate your character's story using ritual phrases
SKEW - take over as GM whenever you have an idea of where the increasingly surreal story is going

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

Ten Candles - something about ten candles??

The ten candles are your life meter, and represent your remaining hope. Ten Candles is a horror game and every time something bad happens, you put out one of the candles. You also are supposed to play in a room where the candles are your only light source. So as the game goes on, the room gets dimmer, and when the last candle goes out, the game is over.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

UnCO3 posted:

All Outta Bubblegum - chewing gum

All outta bubblegum still uses dice though, the gum is just a sorta hp and difficulty thing. I mean it's fun, but definitely leans more towards standard resolution but with a gimmick than unique mechanics.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Noumenon uses dominoes for it's resolution mechanic, Mexican Train style. Also you play as a cooperative party of coffin bugs exploring a philosophy 101 afterlife.

Harder They Fall also uses dominoes, but as domino chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm trying to find it, but there was a game I saw published online where each player had a glass of milk and some cookies and had to dunk and eat the cookies as a resolution mechanic/stress tracker.