Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Senku's hair is a green onion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New chapter's out too! :toot:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's amazing how sweet this manga can be sometimes. :unsmith:

And that's how you leave Namek.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Things like that internal view of the ship really make me want to start up something like Minecraft again.

This manga is so good guys!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every time Ryusui shows up I hear Queen's "I want it all" in my head.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kaiseki ftw Francois ftw.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Has anyone said "I'm not a real doctor but I am a real stone, I am an actual stone." yet?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Now that's a sexy two-page spread.

Elfface posted:

Has anyone said "I'm not a real doctor but I am a real stone, I am an actual stone." yet?

He doesn't live like a stone, tho.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I like how Yuzuhira has apparently been really super into Senku's super long explanations since the three of them were kids.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New Dr Stone chapter is called: poo poo just got real.

KASEKI! :negative:

Ryusui is really earning my respect in this chapter.

Also note most people were damaged from falling over.

Beyond that I have no idea, but I can't wait for next weeks chapter!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Holy poo poo you're not kidding. That's a very huge oh poo poo got real moment.

I don't think anyone expected to be in danger of getting petrified again. This feels like we're already facing the final boss.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Woah plot!

I bet the wish they'd brought Tsukasa along now... and I wonder if this means we'll see new scars, or if those only happen to people who spend a long time petrified.

It seems interesting that the petrification hit after a sudden storm... could it have been a side effect, or maybe the storm saved the group, by stopping the petrification effect from finding them while out at sea?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Darth TNT posted:

New Dr Stone chapter is called: poo poo just got real.

KASEKI! :negative:

Ryusui is really earning my respect in this chapter.

Also note most people were damaged from falling over.

Beyond that I have no idea, but I can't wait for next weeks chapter!

Oh gently caress.

I really didn't expect the petrification source to be something that was now an "at will" weapon.

So...I don't think there's any reason to think that even if the initial petrification was a deliberate attack that the person who did it was both on a deserted island AND the space crew just happened to land on the exact same one. Considering they survived for a very long time and even managed to spread out over other islands. Especially since they already said it originated in South America (and team Senku ain't there yet).

So, that means either: The original science crew discovered how the petrification ray worked, rebuilt it, and some member of their tribe decided to turn it into a weapon generations down the line or it means that the original creator/their decedents discovered the island in the same way that Senku did and decided to try and stall the march of progress they held the potential for.

Considering that Boichi included a character who is an original inhabitant of the island whose parents decided to leave the island for some reason, and did so recently, I think that reason was to escape something.

But, to get a bit meta about the story, since they just got a new anime for the series I doubt we're in full on BBEG territory since that's pretty early in the story to reach that point and I think Boichi wants to play around with "Senku discovers more crazy modern tech" more. So it's probably that the space crew did discover how the petrification ray worked, and one of the members went crazy and used it as a weapon (or someone further down the line) and not the original petrification creator.

Fun possibility: If this petrification ray follows the same rules as the first then Senku's dad has a chance of becoming an active character. If the ray was discovered within their lifetimes, then the dude who took over might have frozen him/others of the original crew to get them out of the way. Then ruled over the island as the sole heir to modernity.

Since there were only 6 surviving original members I'm not sure that any of them could have been the culprit, considering the path of their story so far with creating the 100 stories, the glass record, etc. But since the tribe is named Soyuz we might be able to make a bet on the perpetrator being a descendant of one of then Russian space crew members. And since the only one with any real characterization is Shamil Volkov I'm going to bank on him being the source of this.

His characterization didn't make him out to be any sort of "bad guy", but he was particularly detached and methodical about his new existance, with his reaction to his marriage being a "this is what the world is now, no need for ceremonies". Plus he straight up has the same "look" as Tsukasa and is kinda primed for antagonist status. Maybe he developed a weird "philosophy" that inspired later generations to do all this.

/crazy pre-coffee theory posting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The fact there were only 6 people in the space craft and they spread out across islands I wonder if it'll bring up a deliberate decision was taken to try and ensure that inbreeding didn't occur so groups split apart

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jose posted:

The fact there were only 6 people in the space craft and they spread out across islands I wonder if it'll bring up a deliberate decision was taken to try and ensure that inbreeding didn't occur so groups split apart

Strictly speaking...inbreeding happened regardless since I’m pretty sure a population of just 6 is far too small to actually ensure repopulation.

Ignoring that: splitting the families (it would have been 3 tribes since it was 3 women & 3 men) along those lines would ensure MORE inbreeding since you’re cutting off whole breeding populations and enforcing that you’re creating descendants from direct relatives.

EDIT: Quick image. After gen 2 you're going to start getting some level of inter-familial crossover since every possible population (controlling for interacting with direct decedents) has D genes (or if I went in another order E or F).

Crain fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 25, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well in the hypothetical scenario you'd split off after the 2nd or 3rd generation

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jose posted:

Well in the hypothetical scenario you'd split off after the 2nd or 3rd generation

Still happens. There’s just too few people. This is really one of those cases of “don’t think about it”.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I do remember from my brief education in genetics that you need like a population of 100 to ensure the fewest potential problems down the road.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
With everyone turned to stone there is only one thing you can do! Crime Stone Investigation! :cool:

Amazing chapter. The string Gen used to stop Kohaku is actually on his wrist already when he tells her.
And of course all interactions between Gen en Senku are great. I suppose that that is the advantage of stoning so many characters, it leaves more room for the best characters (except Kaseki :( ).

I can't wait for next week. :allears:
My favorite manga at present are easily this and Spy X Family. Chainsawman being right behind them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Senku going to have to get married and divorced again?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Darth TNT posted:

With everyone turned to stone there is only one thing you can do! Crime Stone Investigation! :cool:

Amazing chapter. The string Gen used to stop Kohaku is actually on his wrist already when he tells her.
And of course all interactions between Gen en Senku are great. I suppose that that is the advantage of stoning so many characters, it leaves more room for the best characters (except Kaseki :( ).

I can't wait for next week. :allears:
My favorite manga at present are easily this and Spy X Family. Chainsawman being right behind them.

Senku is totally the type of person to make a lovely "YEAAAAAAHHHHH *sunglasses* joke.
This was great!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Senku going to have to get married and divorced again?

Part of me hopes not.

Another REALLY hopes so :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crain posted:

Still happens. There’s just too few people. This is really one of those cases of “don’t think about it”.

Too few people to not have eventual issues with inbreeding isn't the same thing as too few people to keep the species alive.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Too few people to not have eventual issues with inbreeding isn't the same thing as too few people to keep the species alive.

I mean "eventual issues with inbreeding" usually includes sterility...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crain posted:

I mean "eventual issues with inbreeding" usually includes sterility...

Does inbreeding lead to decreased human fertility?
Bittles AH, Grant JC, Sullivan SG, Hussain R.

quote:

Abstract
In most Western countries there is a widespread belief, fostered in part by historical prejudice and religious proscription, that inbreeding in human populations causes a reduction in fertility. Support for this belief has been claimed in HLA-based studies, with increased rates of fetal losses suggested in HLA-compatible unions. To critically assess the overall status of fertility in consanguineous unions, data on 30 populations resident in six countries were collated from a systematic review of the literature. The mean numbers of live births were then compared in four consanguinity test categories, ranging from second cousin to uncle-niece/double first cousin, and corresponding non-consanguineous reference groups. Linear regressions indicated a positive association between consanguinity and fertility at all levels of inbreeding, attaining statistical significance at first cousin level (p < 0.0001). The results were, however, subject to a number of potential limitations, in particular lack of control for important socio-demographic variables. To overcome this problem, data on first cousin marriages were abstracted from the National Family and Health Survey conducted in India during 1992-1993. Multivariate analysis showed that fertility in first cousin unions was positively influenced by a number of variables, including illiteracy, earlier age at marriage and lower contraceptive uptake, but the most important of these parameters were duration of marriage and reproductive compensation. In net terms, consanguinity was not found to be associated either with a significant positive or negative effect on fertility.

In principle, you could argue that the study is looking at short-term rates of fertility, but the populations where consanguineous marriages are practiced have presumably been doing so for a long time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Does inbreeding lead to decreased human fertility?
Bittles AH, Grant JC, Sullivan SG, Hussain R.

In principle, you could argue that the study is looking at short-term rates of fertility, but the populations where consanguineous marriages are practiced have presumably been doing so for a long time.

Uh, ok dude but looking at first cousin marriages is significantly different from having a population of literally 6 people all inbreeding.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah there would have to be a lot of inbreeding, but it's not like siblings were marrying each other. There is a degree of separation. Not much, but it is there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah there would have to be a lot of inbreeding, but it's not like siblings were marrying each other. There is a degree of separation. Not much, but it is there.

You have to try seriously hard to come up with Charles II of Spain.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senku is a loving cop

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

'Both of them are frickin awful'

Also bochi coming through strong in some panels again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Harem acquired!

I loved her attempts at seducing Senku and the tear gas attack.

I don't trust her though. It's all a bit too convenient and she uses a lot of tricks to play the men.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kohaku is good

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Predictions on how this will turn out.

The "Great Leader" is not the one originally responsible for the petrification, or even a descendant. Rather he's just a random guy who chanced upon the petrification ray (either it was originally on that island, or Senku's dad or his descendants found the beam and brought it there) and decided neat, I can be a ruler and petrify everyone who opposes me.

The Great Leader doesn't even know how the petrification beam works, beyond "point at target -> pull trigger"; also, the petrification beam is just a small part of a bigger machine, because it simply doesn't have enough power on its own to petrify the whole world. The next steps for Senku's gang (beyond undoing the crew's petrification, of course) will be to take the beam from the Great Leader, find out how it works and a way to make it work in reverse (de-petrification), and finding the rest of the machine to plug it in and de-petrify the whole world. (Discounting, for now, the "use the beam to heal Tsukasa" bit.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mikl posted:

Predictions on how this will turn out.

The "Great Leader" is not the one originally responsible for the petrification, or even a descendant. Rather he's just a random guy who chanced upon the petrification ray (either it was originally on that island, or Senku's dad or his descendants found the beam and brought it there) and decided neat, I can be a ruler and petrify everyone who opposes me.

The Great Leader doesn't even know how the petrification beam works, beyond "point at target -> pull trigger"; also, the petrification beam is just a small part of a bigger machine, because it simply doesn't have enough power on its own to petrify the whole world. The next steps for Senku's gang (beyond undoing the crew's petrification, of course) will be to take the beam from the Great Leader, find out how it works and a way to make it work in reverse (de-petrification), and finding the rest of the machine to plug it in and de-petrify the whole world. (Discounting, for now, the "use the beam to heal Tsukasa" bit.)

Suddenly reviving billions of people into a feral world sounds like a great way to starve everyone, since the average person doesn't have the skills to survive.

Seems to me like the best way to revive everyone is to slowly expand the village and depetrify people as they go, eventually splitting into different societies, travelling the world, and getting bigger and bigger.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The mention of acetone reminded me of Scientist Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rl2NI5MKRw

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

Suddenly reviving billions of people into a feral world sounds like a great way to starve everyone, since the average person doesn't have the skills to survive.

Seems to me like the best way to revive everyone is to slowly expand the village and depetrify people as they go, eventually splitting into different societies, travelling the world, and getting bigger and bigger.

Dystopian sequel series: After a long life of reestablishing society Senku has gone all Luke Skywalker into the wastes. Tsukasa 2.0 takes power and uses the depetrification system as leverage to control the world, holding everyone's loved ones as perpetual hostages. Prisons are filled with stone prisoners, and only the rich and inner circle members get to use the petrification ray to extend their lives, heal themselves, and revive their families.

A plucky group of high schoolers goes on a journey to try and find the mythical scientist who discovered how the ray works to try and make their own to break the power hold.

Senku just wants to make cool bamboo cars and other silly poo poo like he did in his younger days though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

Kohaku is good

I told you, Kohaku is good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Boichi had some real hornyness problems with the girl with the pouches. For a moment I thought she like a dozen boobs. :psyduck:

Still, very interesting chapter and a nice badass moment from Amaryllis.

I'm surprised they have to fix Kohaku up, I thought everyone agreed she was plenty cute.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That guy totally corrected the throw to keep Amaryllis from getting petrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darth TNT posted:

I'm surprised they have to fix Kohaku up, I thought everyone agreed she was plenty cute.

Yeah this one's not working for me but that's what you get when you just draw every girl a certain way