Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I've never thought of the Roku to be either overpriced or unreliable? Are they actively and maliciously cheating regulators? I really don't understand this analogy!

They meant VW Beetle, specifically. You can fix a Roku on the side of the road with hand tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

They meant VW Beetle, specifically. You can fix a Roku on the side of the road with hand tools.

Oooh.

I thought it was more that it was mandated by Hitler so every German citizen could afford a Roku.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Unless you're using a streaming stick from 4 years ago, this objectively not true.

Yeah, the Streaming Stick+ has the same SoC in it as the highest models.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Those Roku streaming sticks are garbage, and the RokuOS on TCL TVs is usable. But I think the high end devices are fine

I have used a few generations of Roku streaming sticks:

2014, model 3500, it was good coming from the Roku 2 (2013) but felt a little slow
2016, model 3600, a significant upgrade; felt satisfied with the speed
2017, model 3810 streaming stick+, reaction was "drat this one's fast"

If I still used a Roku, I'd probably be using the streaming stick +.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

astral posted:

I have used a few generations of Roku streaming sticks:

2014, model 3500, it was good coming from the Roku 2 (2013) but felt a little slow
2016, model 3600, a significant upgrade; felt satisfied with the speed
2017, model 3810 streaming stick+, reaction was "drat this one's fast"

If I still used a Roku, I'd probably be using the streaming stick +.

This is my experience as well except now I have 2018 TCL TVs and they seem to work just fine. The only piece of poo poo Roku I had was an express stick and holy gently caress that thing was hot garbage. Honestly I don't get why Roku gets so much hate. They're perfect for what they do at their price point. The only device I'd consider switching to is the Shield but I still have never heard a compelling argument that would make me want to.

As for my analogy I was kidding but really Rokus are middling but just fine really.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Fire TV devices will probably be a pretty good choice once the feud with Google is resolved later this year

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got my DirecTV AM21 Tuner, so now I have one TV in my home that has full cable and some local channels that can record to a DVR. Now just to figure out the other two TVs, and install the outdoor antenna because my indoor one is garbage and doesn't get NBC.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just got an email from philo saying they're killing the $16 package. If you currently have it you can keep it but new people are gonna be forced into the $20 version.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I did the trials for PSVue, DirecTV Now, and Sling... decided to move forward with the Sling Blue for $15/mo for 3 months deal they have going on.

The DVR functionality is ideal for me. Can start a show live on one device, resume the show on a different device. Skipping commercials shows a thumbnail instead of doing it blindly. 30 second ahead and 10 second back means you can skip commercials pretty effortlessly and end up exactly where you intent to, and the buffering to resume playback was the fastest compared to the other two. It also performs equally well on all my devices.

PSV and DTVN just had too many problems for my liking. I never got around to the YouTubeTV trial, but I know I'll never go for it at $50.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I recently cut the cord. I've been using a $10 antenna, but since I'm half way between Providence and Boston, I should be able get a ridiculous amount of stations with an rooftop antenna. (I like PBS!)

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $50 to $100.
Should I get an outdoor antenna that rotates, or an omni-directional one? Which is "better"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

I recently cut the cord. I've been using a $10 antenna, but since I'm half way between Providence and Boston, I should be able get a ridiculous amount of stations with an rooftop antenna. (I like PBS!)

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $50 to $100.
Should I get an outdoor antenna that rotates, or an omni-directional one? Which is "better"?

You can get antennas with two wings so you point each in a different direction. I set up my dad with that kind of thing in his attic with one pointing at Raleigh and the other pointing to Chapel Hill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXQO00K

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I’m looking for some advice. I just want to get my pre-existing antenna upgraded and have it grounded. I already purchased everything but every antenna installer in my area refuses to install anything unless they supply everything including the antenna. I know it’s just because they want to charge a little bit extra but goddamnit I just want to have this drat thing upgraded. Should I contact an electrician or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, it looks like Verizon is going to start offering YouTube TV as part of a FiOS internet bundle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You can get antennas with two wings so you point each in a different direction. I set up my dad with that kind of thing in his attic with one pointing at Raleigh and the other pointing to Chapel Hill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXQO00K

Whoa, that's pretty cool... Hadn't thought of that!

However, after reviewing the channels available to me, I see that most of the Providence RI channels I could pick up are just dupes of CBS/ABC/NBC, not more PBS stations... So I might as well get a directional and point it at the Boston stations.

Even though I'm more or less directly between Providence and Boston, the Boston stations are broadcast from the Blue Hills, South West of the city.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

However, after reviewing the channels available to me, I see that most of the Providence RI channels I could pick up are just dupes of CBS/ABC/NBC, not more PBS stations... So I might as well get a directional and point it at the Boston stations.

Even though I'm more or less directly between Providence and Boston, the Boston stations are broadcast from the Blue Hills, South West of the city.

You’d be a smart man if you checked out the lineups. Every PBS affiliate is different. I’ve got two different ones and they play basically totally different stuff. Same library but different lineup at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Squashy Nipples posted:

With how strong those signals are coming in from the north west, you may be able to get away with pointing your antenna at the weaker signals and still get both. It's at least worth experimenting with, and an amplifier could make a difference as well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

I’m looking for some advice. I just want to get my pre-existing antenna upgraded and have it grounded. I already purchased everything but every antenna installer in my area refuses to install anything unless they supply everything including the antenna. I know it’s just because they want to charge a little bit extra but goddamnit I just want to have this drat thing upgraded. Should I contact an electrician or something?

So I finally got a guy who installed it for me using my equipment. It was well worth the money, dude spent about 5 hours busting his rear end getting it just right. No one responded so do you guys just not bother grounding your antenna? I didn't and last year lightning from my neighbor's yard zapped 2 TVs because it wasn't grounded.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

So I finally got a guy who installed it for me using my equipment. It was well worth the money, dude spent about 5 hours busting his rear end getting it just right. No one responded so do you guys just not bother grounding your antenna? I didn't and last year lightning from my neighbor's yard zapped 2 TVs because it wasn't grounded.

If the antenna is outside, you want(need) to ground it. In fact, I'm going to bet your homeowner's insurance will just laugh and laugh if you have to make a claim because lightning struck your antenna.

If it's just in the attic, then you're fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
PlutoTV is adding BET, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon

https://deadline.com/2019/04/viacom-adds-four-flagship-channels-to-pluto-tv-streaming-service-newfronts-1202602712/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've been watching a ton of the Gordan Ramsey channel on Pluto lately but holy poo poo they play the exact same Mazda commercial every single commercial break. The exact same slow version of a Cranberries song repeated 5 -7 times an hour, over and over and over. For fucks sake let me pay you money and get rid of ads!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I thought I read somewhere in my Apple News feed (which means I'll never- ever find it again since a couple days have passed) that CNN was being added, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought I read somewhere in my Apple News feed (which means I'll never- ever find it again since a couple days have passed) that CNN was being added, too.

It's not the actual CNN feed, it's like a CNN highlights channel. New packages, specials, stuff like that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlowTV is still the best channel on there

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My Vizio has PlutoTV built into it (as in, it's one of the inputs) so that's neat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

My Vizio has PlutoTV built into it (as in, it's one of the inputs) so that's neat.

That's neat but weird.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Croatoan posted:

That's neat but weird.

It was a cast-only tv when I bought it but they ended up adding all this functionality and mailing us a remote and it all loving runs like poo poo. We just use the Xbone and Kinect on it so w/e

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Croatoan posted:

That's neat but weird.

Samsung has TV+ built in, and that at least used to be a variation of PlutoTV.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones posted:

In fact, I'm going to bet your homeowner's insurance will just laugh and laugh if you have to make a claim because lightning struck your antenna.

Why would they laugh and laugh? It seems property damage due to lightning strikes are a common cause of legitimate homeowners insurance claims. The only way I can think of legit denying the claim would be them investigating, not finding a ground, then responding that due to negligent install the claim would be denied. Maybe that's what you were saying. However I don't know if lacking a ground, while very dumb, would provide the insurance company with enough leeway to deny the claim in a way that would stand up in court.

Not a good source but: https://www.valuepenguin.com/homeowners-insurance-and-lightning-strikes

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 29, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Something Offal posted:

Sorry but, why would they laugh and laugh? It seems property damage due to lightning strikes are a common cause of legitimate homeowners insurance claims. The only way I can think of legit denying the claim would be them investigating, not finding a ground, then responding that due to negligent install the claim would be denied. Maybe that's what you were saying. However I don't know if lacking a ground, while very dumb, would provide the insurance company with enough leeway to deny the claim in a way that would stand up in court.

Not a good source but: https://www.valuepenguin.com/homeowners-insurance-and-lightning-strikes

Yes, I think they will deny (and laugh and laugh) if it can be shown the lightning damage happened via an ungrounded antenna. Negligence and not keeping up with general maintenance is grounds for denying claims.

As always, check your policy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh well I still haven't filed a claim but I plan on it. It took out the TVs but in addition to that it also took out a couple of Comcast boxes and an outlet in my basement is blown out. I didn't think they'd even cover the TVs and TCL replacements were cheaper than my deductible, who gives a gently caress about Comcast boxes, they didn't and I plan on trying to swap out the outlet first before making a claim.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Oh well I still haven't filed a claim but I plan on it. It took out the TVs but in addition to that it also took out a couple of Comcast boxes and an outlet in my basement is blown out. I didn't think they'd even cover the TVs and TCL replacements were cheaper than my deductible, who gives a gently caress about Comcast boxes, they didn't and I plan on trying to swap out the outlet first before making a claim.

I guess the question is, did the lightning enter you home through *your* antenna line? Because I think that's the salient question here. If there was no reasonable way for you to mitigate the lightning damage yourself, I think you'll be OK.

If it came over your power lines in the house, I think there's gently caress all you can do except have one of those lightning rated power strips to prevent that. I don't know of any insurance that requires that.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Croatoan posted:

When did this happen? There's probably a clock on when you can submit the claim, like 60 days. You told Comcast their boxes were blown and they're going to replace them without penalty? That's a mark in their column I guess.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Yeah Comcast didn't care when I swapped the boxes out for my parents. Lighting strike too. Took out two desktop pcs, all the cable boxes and fried some outlets. Some surge protectors worked and others didn't.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Something Offal posted:

When did this happen? There's probably a clock on when you can submit the claim, like 60 days. You told Comcast their boxes were blown and they're going to replace them without penalty? That's a mark in their column I guess.

Like 6 months ago. I just can't afford the deductible right yet so I'll just wait for a lightning storm to hit near me again and yay.

Also, yeah I mean there's no way I can tell I got zapped because my antenna was ungrounded. I just highly suspect it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man, I must be the only one with a huge deductible on my home insurance...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine is only $500, but I sure as gently caress wouldn't file a claim for a TV.

Homeowners claims are for like 10s of thousands of damage. Anything less and you are going to be spending a hell of a lot more when your rate goes up after policy renewal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

It was a cast-only tv when I bought it but they ended up adding all this functionality and mailing us a remote and it all loving runs like poo poo. We just use the Xbone and Kinect on it so w/e

I have an E-series that was updated too and mine seems to run just fine. I'm on ethernet which might help, but the "smart" stuff they added is actually just cast to the existing Chromecast functionality which is how they've been able to add the dozen or so inputs so easily. None of the UI or the apps themselves are hosted on the television, they're just called up as web apps and cast to the TV behind the scenes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so the new Viacom Pluto channels aren't going to have first-run material:

http://www.nickandmore.com/2019/04/29/nickelodeon-pluto-tv/

quote:

BET Pluto TV: Kick back and enjoy the best of Black Hollywood through all of your favorite urban movies! Featuring hundreds of hours of classic films and box office hits, this channel is guaranteed to have everything you’ve been waiting for in one place. Grab a snack and get comfortable. You’re going to be stuck here for a while.

Comedy Central Pluto TV: Comedy Central Pluto TV is the destination for the best in iconic original comedy series, late night, sketch, and animation. It features specials from “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” and a nonstop stash of classic episodes of “Tosh.0,” “Another Period,” and “Ugly Americans,” among plenty of others. If you’re looking for something funny, we have good news: you just found it.

MTV Pluto TV: Looking to escape the everyday? Get your party started and take a dive into the most iconic reality and dating shows that only MTV can deliver, including hits like “16 & Pregnant,” “MTV Cribs,” “Are You the One?” and “Punk’d.” You want your MTV Pluto!

Nick Pluto TV: Welcome to Nick Pluto TV where you can watch your favorite classic shows like “All That,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” “The Fairly Odd Parents,” and “iCarly.” It’s all on Nick Pluto TV.

Nick Jr. Pluto TV: Welcome to Nick Jr. Pluto TV where you’ll find your preschooler’s favorite friends from classic “Blue’s Clues,” “Dora the Explorer,” “Wallykazam” and many more hit Nick Jr. Pluto TV shows.

Spike Pluto TV: The first network for men is on Pluto TV! Spike features series like “Duck Dynasty,” “Pit Boss” and “Cajun Pawn Stars,” starring people who play by their own set of rules. It’s your one-stop shop for bold, unapologetic entertainment.

CMT Westerns: Saddle up with CMT Westerns, the best place to kick off your boots and find your favorite country movies.

Comedy Central Stand-Up: Are you looking for groundbreaking stand-up comedy? Well, you just hit the jackpot. Comedy Central is the ultimate stand-up source, opening its iconic vault for Pluto TV by featuring content from the world’s best comedians. Whether you’re revisiting classic stand-up series from Dave Attell and John Oliver or discovering early performances from John Mulaney and Amy Schumer, Comedy Central Stand-Up is a gold mine of series and specials that’ll keep you up all night laughing until your parents, spouse, or roommates beg you to turn it off.

MTV Dating: Get cozy with some of the most buzzed about reality dating show hits like “NEXT” and “Parental Control.” Do the romantic hopefuls ever find true love? Maybe, maybe not—but we sure don’t mind watching them try and try again!

MTV Guy Code: Consider this your man cave, an escape to catch favorite episodes of “Beavis & Butthead,” “MTV Guy Code,” “Rob & Big,” and “Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory.”

MTV Teen: Is the one-stop shop for teen content, including shows like “Made” and “My Super Sweet 16,” with an abundance of OMGs, LOLs, and cringe-worthy moments.

Paramount Movie Channel: The most storied movie studio in Hollywood is throwing open its gates with the Paramount Movie Channel, featuring the greatest movies of the past century all in one place, 24 hours a day.

Spike Outdoors: The first network for outdoors-men! Spike Outdoors goes all out with a full slate of shows featuring guys making their living off the land. Man up with the modern day adventurers in “Tougher in Alaska,” “River Monsters,” “Bering Sea Gold” and more! If it’s high octane outdoor shows you crave, journey no further than Spike Outdoors!

MTV’s The Hills: Just in time for the highly anticipated revival series, “The Hills: New Beginnings,” premiering on Monday, June 24, viewers can catch up on the series that changed the reality TV landscape and look back at the most unforgettable and iconic moments from the past seasons of “Laguna Beach” and “The Hills.”

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
A channel with MTV Next reruns? Sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It appears Nickelodeon finally realized that illegal Roku stream of Classic Nickelodeon shows that they had taken down a few years ago might have been on to something

https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/1122989448751472641