Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So I swapped out my heavy rear end Greatsword for Drang Hammers. I sorta miss the reach, but the lighter weight is real nice. I'm using this stupidly heavy Yhorme Grearshield and it's poise bonus is A++.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I maxed out most of the stats I wanted to do for this build. I'm already level 94 and I'm only on my first NG! I have 32 Vig, 25 End, 40 Str, and 16 Dex for Heavy Drang Hammering. Im thinking of investing in Carthus Flame Arc... That'd take 7 more points, but IDK if it's worth it at base stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

anothergod posted:

Drang Hammers

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Cardiovorax posted:

Which things would those be, in your opinion? I'm kind of curious.

I can only speak for the improved Scholar of the First Sin version of DS2, as I never played non-Scholar:

- The Small White Soapstone is brilliant and greatly missed in DS3. It basically let me get free humanity in return for helping others, and I can do it anywhere at any time, whether boss is alive or dead.
- The Covenants are a lot of fun and feel more creative/better executed than in DS3 (or 1). I don't like the PvP arena covenants (those are far too insane for any reasonable person to want to get anywhere with) but the Covenant of Champions, Dark Covenant and Rat King Covenant are all standouts to me, with some great rewards.
- In general, PvP seems a lot more fun to me. The more deliberate pace of the combat works very well in PvP, and it doesn't have the weird summoning preferences of DS3 built-in (ie, you won't always invade a gank squad).
- Many different weapon builds feel viable. I switched to different weapons often in my playthrough, and found many different pros and cons for them. Yes, you're right that strike damage is op in single player (particularly early on) but I still found that the moveset of a given weapon mattered more to me than anything else. And with how freely the game gives out levels, you can eventually build a character that can use most of them without needing to respec each time. And it has powerstancing, which is gone in DS3.
- Excellent NPCs, much better realized than any other DS game. Lucatiel is particularly memorable, but so is Bernhart, Maldron the Assassin (gently caress this guy), Straid, Navlaan and the Emerald Herald. And Gavlan. And pretty much everyone who ends up in Majula, really.
- There were a ton of NPC white phantom summons that were characterful, with entertaining builds and personality quirks, to help get you though the game even if you were playing offline.
- On that note: Majula is the best hub area in any Dark Souls game. It's beautiful and awesome.
- The branching nature of the levels. While not exactly open-world, there are multiple paths open from the beginning and it feels far more exploratory than Dark Souls 3 ever did. While the overall world is less cohesive, I feel like I saw more different kinds of places in Dark Souls 2 than I did in 3. It felt like a much bigger journey.
- Some really awesome, big, complex DLC areas.
- An NG+ that is loaded with new surprises and things to do, unlike NG+ in DS1 or 3. While you're not exactly playing a new game, it mixes things up enough to keep you on your toes and prevent you from getting complacent.
- Torches and the ability to (permanently) light sconces was great. DS2 was a lot darker than DS3 and you actually felt like there was value in using torches for something other than burning off leeches.
- Armor actually feels like it does something for once.

And your mileage may vary on the below, but:
- The fact that you could be invaded even when you're not human/embered meant I wasn't going to miss out on any story-related invasions because I happened to enter some unmarked 'trigger' point without being human/embered. And it meant I always had to remain ready to defend yourself from invaders no matter what.
- The combat is far more slow and deliberate than Dark Souls 3. I feel like I spend as much time planning my moves in the midst of combat as I do actually making them, and get the satisfaction of seeing my plans succeed if I do it right. In Dark Souls 3 the combat simply felt a bit too fast for me.

Cardiovorax posted:

I distinctly remember switching to a mace four or so bosses into the game and suddenly doing like three times more damage per hit to basically everything, so you might have to explain that a little.

See above:
- Many different weapon builds feel viable. I switched to different weapons often in my playthrough, and found many different pros and cons for them. Yes, you're right that strike damage is op in single player (particularly early on) but I still found that the moveset of a given weapon mattered more to me than anything else. And with how freely the game gives out levels, you can eventually build a character that can use most of them without needing to respec each time. And it has powerstancing, which is gone in DS3.
In DS3 I felt like a lot of weapons were just different, inferior versions of existing weapons, or were barely-viable gimmick weapons. I ended up sticking with a straightsword/greatsword pretty much all of D3.
D2 I switched my weapons around a lot more.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 18, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Realized I can't be bothered with miracles this run. If I'm respeccing, are there any stats I should keep at a minimum or can I dump anything not related to my build? What about the elusive Luck?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Realized I can't be bothered with miracles this run. If I'm respeccing, are there any stats I should keep at a minimum or can I dump anything not related to my build? What about the elusive Luck?

Magic stats and Luck are all-or-nothing. 15 FTH is useful for support spells like Tears, though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Well I certainly have points to put in faith after spending three hours straight trying to get the cathedral knight gloves. Good grief.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fashion Souls is the real endgame.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

ya

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Awesome. Is there anything fun, silly, or gimmicky I can do with pyro that's also versatile and viable? like, dual-wielding a greatsword + pyro or something?

Look up the Onyx Blade.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

The truth. If Sekiro 2 doesn't have fashion elements I'll be livid.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Awesome. Is there anything fun, silly, or gimmicky I can do with pyro that's also versatile and viable? like, dual-wielding a greatsword + pyro or something?

My Pyro run uses the Astora Greatsword, which scales incredibly well with a Dark or Chaos infusion.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Japanese Dad

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Just beat Soul of Cinder. Is there a list of things to do before NG+?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

anothergod posted:

Just beat Soul of Cinder. Is there a list of things to do before NG+?

I mean, what do you want to do? Make sure to do the DLC areas at the least if you haven't yet.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Make sure you got as many titanite slabs as you want. There’s 15 total — one of them requires you to give up the Coiled Sword Fragment, but if you’re going through to NG+ you can easily do Dancer as your second boss, Champ as your third, and get it right back.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Make sure you got as many titanite slabs as you want. There’s 15 total — one of them requires you to give up the Coiled Sword Fragment, but if you’re going through to NG+ you can easily do Dancer as your second boss, Champ as your third, and get it right back.

Wow way to snub Oceiros and his poor child.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

it's true, i'm an ignorant slave

Orv
May 4, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I one shot kind of a lot of bosses during my initial run of 3, just from accumulated got good over the years prior and Oceiros was one of them, giving me absolutely no problems at all. I finally managed to slog my way through the first third of the game again earlier this month and it turns out I got insanely lucky with his move set in my initial play through. Boy howdy gently caress that dumb blue nerd.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm loving the Nameless King fight, but why does the game force me to waste 5-7 minutes against that shitbird with the loving godawful camera every time. I use an Estoc and hitting the shitbird's head consistently is an exercise in frustration. I'm at the point where I rarely get hit in the first phase but it's still a horrible repetitive slog.

I don't want to be overleveled for this encounter (currently at SL65) but honestly it's a tempting proposition when the game has no respect for your loving time. Man DS3 is an uninspired piece of poo poo compared to BB, but compared to other games it's still great and worth playing. As always, From too good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You’re in no danger of overleveling for NK at the moment, I’d honestly say like SL90 is more what I’d expect for Archdragon Peak. Got any other weapon options? Thrusting weapons don’t really do the trick for Storm King, you need something with more vertical reach.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

skasion posted:

You’re in no danger of overleveling for NK at the moment, I’d honestly say like SL90 is more what I’d expect for Archdragon Peak. Got any other weapon options? Thrusting weapons don’t really do the trick for Storm King, you need something with more vertical reach.

Nah I'm an Assassin but I went more dex than int along the way. I've tried using the Longbow and it's just as annoying because your arrows in this game seem to miss as soon as the target moves a nanometer away from where it needs to be, but whenever an enemy throws something at you the hitbox is basically the observable universe. I haven't tried other bows yet but I've only used mine for cheesing/situationally so far. It's also harder to dodge the out of camera NK hits in time when using a bow.

Overall it looks like I'm having little to no trouble against some of the notoriously hard bosses (Champion Gundyr, Dancer took me 5 tries combined) with my glass cannon dex build, but boy why do I always get the feeling that this game was designed for characters with high hp, a huge shield and a greatsword? My experience with this game is weird, sometimes it wants to be Bloodborne, other times it's like "nope, just massive 360° gently caress-you swings with no windup, have fun dodging those".

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

your guess is as good as mine on this one

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^lol

Even more so than Bloodborne, you really need a big old bag of HP in this game yeah. Glass cannons are not really an option because so many enemies have multi hit stuff that will just wipe out 500+ health before you can get away. There’s much less tolerance for mistakes than in the earlier games, often it’s mess up once and you’re dead.

Imo the game was basically made with the expectation that everyone would start as knight and stick to only upgrading their starting gear and stats. Virtually every other option is more challenging or requires more game knowledge, sometimes way more.

Sorceries are really good against Storm/Nameless King if you have any, it’s one of the few bosses where they really shine.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

your guess is as good as mine on this one

Attack its rear. It's super vulnerable there. Just get in close and whale away.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

e: wait never mind, that’s the joke

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Someone mentioned that deprived was not the best class for a totally blank slate build, is that correct? I'm thinking about starting a new character where I have absolute freedom to respec for new games plusses and whatnot.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'd go with whichever class has the worst luck then, since luck builds have been utterly dumpstered. You'll just miss out on Anri's sword (nerfed too) and the very strange grub staff.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Black Griffon posted:

Someone mentioned that deprived was not the best class for a totally blank slate build, is that correct? I'm thinking about starting a new character where I have absolute freedom to respec for new games plusses and whatnot.

Deprived is best if you want to change your build around a lot. It's not best if you want to focus on melee or magic, because some of the other classes have less points in the the skills you don't need. It doesn't really matter though unless you want to be a huge min/maxer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dropping in again after a long, long while to say that the Abyss Watchers fight is definitely my favorite Lord Soul battle in the series. Does Gwyn count? If yes, then sure, that's probably the best, but this is a very close second.

God, it's so goddamn good. Then I white-soapstoned right after to play it again, and remembered how much fun DS co-op is.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

toasterwarrior posted:

Dropping in again after a long, long while to say that the Abyss Watchers fight is definitely my favorite Lord Soul battle in the series. Does Gwyn count? If yes, then sure, that's probably the best, but this is a very close second.

God, it's so goddamn good. Then I white-soapstoned right after to play it again, and remembered how much fun DS co-op is.

Not an empty quote.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

This but Champion Gundyr. I love the hell out of that fight but I refuse to co-op it because I love that it's a 1v1 throwdown and also he doesn't turn into a bullshit snake monster.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

This but Champion Gundyr. I love the hell out of that fight but I refuse to co-op it because I love that it's a 1v1 throwdown and also he doesn't turn into a bullshit snake monster.

Oh yeah, the Champ is actually my second favorite boss battle in the whole series, but I was talking about Lord Soul battles.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Man, going right for deprived Gundyr after binging with a 60 hour character is a mother fucker. But down he went.

Also, went for Hackan Slash's suggestion, obviously. I don't need that luck, but I can't be bothered to use a character that isn't perfectly even.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Black Griffon posted:

Man, going right for deprived Gundyr after binging with a 60 hour character is a mother fucker. But down he went.

Also, went for Hackan Slash's suggestion, obviously. I don't need that luck, but I can't be bothered to use a character that isn't perfectly even.

There's no mundane infusion in DS3.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

There's no mundane infusion in DS3.

Oh yeah no I know, I mean in terms of base stats.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Yes, Deprived is poor because you don't need the extra points in INT/FTH/LCK for most builds. Knight and Pyromancer are the best for almost any physical/magic build respectively. Builds are all about the stats you DON'T level up :eng101:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Yes, Deprived is poor because you don't need the extra points in INT/FTH/LCK for most builds. Knight and Pyromancer are the best for almost any physical/magic build respectively. Builds are all about the stats you DON'T level up :eng101:

But if I want to hop on over to a magic build from a physical build or vice versa it's all the same, isn't it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

But if I want to hop on over to a magic build from a physical build or vice versa it's all the same, isn't it?

That's what Rosaria is for

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, deprived isn't exactly ~optimal~ in its stat distribution but also who cares, you will not be actually missing those three points or whatever unless you're a serial minmaxer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

In a sense, yes, but you still never want to invest in Luck if you don't need to. Knight is generally the best all around just because you can always swap between magic/physical if you want to later (it's very unlikely that you wouldn't want at least the Knight's base physical stats on any build).