Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
If you want to hear Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream, just close your eyes and listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

the Jay Tholen parts are up too, but The Chowder Man stuck with me more

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5ICqrGUqDv9KZdbbFiNGma?si=34hhL2w0TZ61lnH9eQscNQ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/

https://hotdad.bandcamp.com/album/the-chowder-man -- One dollar! One dollar for all of Chowder Man's stuff!

If you want to just buy the OSTs!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I want people to make so many Hypnopages we effectively have a nearly infinite alternate history internet

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Help! I have "Icy Girl" stuck in my head and now I have an uncontrollable urge to spray Gray's Peak cola everywhere. Someone make it stop!

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Birthstone song for life.

R O B E

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Coolpunk is dead poser. Fungus Scene is where it's at.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I've made the mistake of seeing people play this game before I tried it and I think its robbed the experience from me. Either that or I just can't handle the more exploratory visual novel than traditional video game vibe of Hynospace. Not a bad game, just not something I resonate with playing even though I like what I see.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just got the credits after spending far too long spinning my wheels it never occured to me to search for leakypipes, I just assumed it was software with a missing download link - duuurr and in total clocked 20 hours. I did spend a fair few being stuck on the archives but only because I was going off in strange directions, but a lot of it was genuinely just having fun looking for things and loving about with programs, stickers and desktops. I have some 70% of pages archived so there's still plenty to see out there, I'm sure - wish it would give some hint to the tags that I should type in so I don't need to look up a list though. Maybe a few letters.

Otherwise I loved the experience and can't wait to see what people do with the workshop support. As I said previously this game just nails the concept and all of the pages were a pleasure to read. I'd turn my second monitor off and just browse Hypnospace in the dark and it was like being a kid again. Fantastic job.

I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but I think it was mentioned that Cyberworldz is supposed to be in 3d? I'd love to see another Hypnospace style game but this time exploring a simulated 3d chatroom/social hub kind of software like Active Worlds or an early version of Second Life, primitive late 90's/early 2000's graphics present and correct. Like the Zones in Hypnospace you could have themed areas with inhabitants who show up from time to time that you could monitor the chatlogs of, and as time goes on the company who runs it could introduce new software updates that shits up the core functionality or harsh moderators/restrictions for paid and unpaid users so you could see how it impacts the societies that form within it. You could be an invisible observer, similar to Hypnospace's Enforcers, to avoid the whole "There are people here but I can't interact with them" thing.

Yeah I know I could just boot up Second Life and see for myself what a wreckage it is now (And I have, those empty lots are pure nostalgia hurting juice) but I grew so attached to the characters of Hypnospace that I think a concept like this where you'd see logs from people who had visited the zones and could maybe play back their actions would be really neat. I think a lot of it is seeing those animations in the tutorial videos you're given - that immediately gave me Active World vibes and I was actually kind of suspecting the game would go that direction. More than anything I just want to explore some bizarre janky 3d worlds circa 99.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i really enjoyed this, though i was a bit disappointed that the second half wasn't more elaborate, it's immediately obvious what happened so i was expecting proving it to be more of an uphill battle than it ended up being, and to involve more of the 'cast'.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Songbearer posted:

Yeah I know I could just boot up Second Life and see for myself what a wreckage it is now (And I have, those empty lots are pure nostalgia hurting juice)

It's so weird that there are areas of Second Life where you can tell the last time anybody stepped foot there was like a decade ago, but the land still has an owner so apparently somebody's still paying real money to keep it going. Who are these people, where do they get their money, why are they keeping it active? I've been to former hangout places and there'll be event banners and poo poo that say like "2010" or "2012" so you know nobody's been there since then. Are the people dead, did they have no heirs and so Linden Lab are just siphoning money out of their bank accounts that have long since been claimed by lawyers?

I mean personally, I hope SL never dies because it's so weird and such a mid-aughts time capsule and I enjoy poking around for an hour or two every so often. I just wonder how it's still around. But then so is Active Worlds (to a much lesser degree) so who knows?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Songbearer posted:

I think a lot of it is seeing those animations in the tutorial videos you're given - that immediately gave me Active World vibes and I was actually kind of suspecting the game would go that direction. More than anything I just want to explore some bizarre janky 3d worlds circa 99.

Yeah, the opening tutorial gave me multiple flashbacks to work Computer Based Trainings, as intended. But the Merchantsoft mascot was the embodiment of the Disclosure vision of the internet. Would be so dope to wander around cyberspace as a jpg of my work badge.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I managed to get Zane flagged a second time so I hope that's enough to save my little boy. :(

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

BaDandy posted:

I managed to get Zane flagged a second time so I hope that's enough to save my little boy. :(

I've heard, although I didn't check, that you need to flag his three times.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just considered an alternate route that could've been taken that might have (endgame spoilers) prevented Tiff from dying. On her "HSPD look here" page you get some examples of Corey and Zane harassing her on the chat program - what if you could correctly flag those as harassment, but since it's technically her account you're raising violations against, you could then flag her and get her banned? True, it's up to other members to actually ban her for the content that's been provided so they'd be more inclined to ban Corey & Zane again, but they might consider it healthy to give her a "time out" too - potentially saving her in the process. Mindcrash would still have taken out other people in the process with Tim going down for their deaths, but at least he wouldn't be tortured with Tiff's death. As a teenager I used to participate in Corey's level of bullshit and it broke my heart I couldn't do anything about those horrible chatlogs knowing how it makes people feel.

Also I feel no mercy with banning Sherri. You're playing with that goofy dude's heart, you're clearly older than you make yourself out to be while taking him for a ride and if you can make money being a psychic online you can do it in real life :colbert:. I'm sorry for breaking his heart but it's better this way.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bobulus posted:

I think you might be right, I missed a third flag because I got rid of the last virus too soon.

It's probably been said already too, but the worldbuilding in this is amazing. I was fascinated by the evolution of digital music and the different genres. There's so much specific detail that goes into these fake bands or music nerds, or the different flavors of old people in Goodtime Valley, or the different online cliques you can look at. There must have been so many different things or details to keep track of.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bobulus posted:

You only need to do it twice, but the second time can't be on November 26th; doing it then will put him on probation instead of ban and you won't be able to flag him the time where it really matters, during the mindcrash itself.

Songbearer posted:

Just considered an alternate route that could've been taken

In her own way, Tiff is the catalyst; if Tiff isn't around, then Tim would never do the Mindcrash, and Dylan's lovely programming would've been outed as the cause immediately. I think it's intentional that you can't change that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 22, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately Tiffany dying is like this poetic-tragic ending to the Tim story. You have a kid infatuated with a girl, he pushes her away and then in his desperation he makes a move that (he believes) kills her. I don't think the climax and ending would've been as effective if you could save Tiffany.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Man it's really weird sittin' here watchin' everyone talk about how you die and how necessary that is. :smith:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Caitlin posted:

Man it's really weird

:negative:

I speak only of characters in a narrative, not real people. Then again, that's kind of the point of Hypnospace, isn't it? It's not some narrative, it's other people.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean don't get me wrong, Tiffany was one of my favorite characters and I was really shocked and sad that she died, I was just saying that in terms of the story it makes sense you can't do anything to stop it.

Plus even attempting to banhammer the chat log pictures is important to illustrate how Dylan's hardware and software is poorly thought out and rushed and Dylan himself takes zero responsibility for anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think I saw on his profile page that in 1999, Dylan is 21 years old? He's the architypical high-intelligence, low-wisdom nerd who has a lot of interesting ideas, but doesn't think through the consequences. He and his brother landed into some money with NetSettler unexpectedly, and now they're just riding the wave, oblivious to how poorly designed everything is and how flimsy their support structures are.

It was basically inevitable that, when placed in a position of power, he'd let it go to his head and flippantly abuse that power whenever it suited him

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I love how one of the main takeaways is that there aren't any real mustache-twirling villains, Silicon Valley corporate culture and everything that comes with it just sucks that bad.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I beat this game like a week or so ago, and it's been desperately stuck in my brain. I revisit it frequently, reading pages I missed the first time through, but there's one question that has been driving me mad.

What makes Grey's Peak soda colder than the rest?! I have to know!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's bottles of liquid nitrogen with flavoring

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I completely skipped m1nx whoops

I remember seeing a page that needed the 3y3 but then once I had the 3y3 I couldn’t remember what the hell the page was and I never bookmarked it like a tool. I imagine it’s related to m1nx? Had a bunch of red lines on it saying you needed second sight or something? Someone help me out here?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

I completely skipped m1nx whoops

I remember seeing a page that needed the 3y3 but then once I had the 3y3 I couldn’t remember what the hell the page was and I never bookmarked it like a tool. I imagine it’s related to m1nx? Had a bunch of red lines on it saying you needed second sight or something? Someone help me out here?

Several places need second-sight / 3y3:

- T1mageddon's page has some links that way
- The actual m1nx login page requires it (just search m1nx)
- The red-lines page can be found via reading m1nx messages, but there are other ways to stumble upon it...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I honestly can't remember how I came across the 3y3 tool, it was just in my downloads page at some point.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think the 3y3 tool can be obtained by Checking the flist pages for T1mageddon and Ringleader Roddy. I haven't checked lately though so I could be wrong.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
But the thing is, you need the 3y3 tool to use t1ms page in the first place. So I must have got it from somewhere else. Maybe it had somthing to do with that website selling the passwords.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

I think the 3y3 tool can be obtained by Checking the flist pages for T1mageddon and Ringleader Roddy. I haven't checked lately though so I could be wrong.

it's on gearhead greg's flist page in the final pre-braincrash act, too

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tombot posted:

But the thing is, you need the 3y3 tool to use t1ms page in the first place. So I must have got it from somewhere else. Maybe it had somthing to do with that website selling the passwords.

You dont need to access is special hidden page to get to his flist. Access to that dope gif of him sitting on a chair is enough to grab his headband id

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
One nice little musical detail I noticed: People in the game say the guy trying to make Fungus Scene a thing used to work with Fre3zer at some point. When you find Fre3zer's original song in the game, it's a lot closer to the fungus scene music in the game than the poppier stuff that Fre3zer is making before the Coolfest disaster.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Also, no one knew what Fre3zer looked like until he "revealed" himself. And then Fre3zer is accused of not sounding like "real" Coolpunk, so that's interesting.

edit: no joke, I would actually listen to Fungus Scene stuff, I love the ambiance of it all.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 25, 2019

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

KirbyKhan posted:

that dope gif of him sitting on a chair

The fact that this isn't animated, but instead scrolls your screen down to appear animated is a great touch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sokani posted:

The fact that this isn't animated, but instead scrolls your screen down to appear animated is a great touch.

Yeah, it's the kind of thing that when I imagine myself as a teenager, I would have thought Tim was super cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so why does the Smoulder Boulder turn up in two completely unconnected places, via Sherri's exorcism and Tiff's stuff?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay so why does the Smoulder Boulder turn up in two completely unconnected places, via Sherri's exorcism and Tiff's stuff?

Isn't the connection explicitly mentioned on Tiff's page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Isn't the connection explicitly mentioned on Tiff's page?

Yeah. I feel like Tiff openly mentions that either she or Tim was inspired by the story on Sherri's page.