Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Peanut President posted:

I was on probation while you guys were talking about how PROPER HUNTING is supposed to work so I couldn't post this video but I AM NOW AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
you really want to hunt correctly, you have to do it like this

yeah true hunters take out their prey by *checks first 2 seconds of video* giving them the shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A lot of managed hunting is great, because people pay the state to kill an often overpopulated animal, and then the state gets to use those funds for things like conservation of the environment.

Meanwhile, for said animal, living a normal life and then being suddenly dead is way better than being bred into existence to live in a factory farming situation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

A lot of managed hunting is great, because people pay the state to kill an often overpopulated animal, and then the state gets to use those funds for things like conservation of the environment.

Meanwhile, for said animal, living a normal life and then being suddenly dead is way better than being bred into existence to live in a factory farming situation.

This really sounds like it's one of those state-run programs where you "get" the money from the thing while completely coincidentally an equal amount is deducted from the budget you'd otherwise have gotten, like how the lottery """"funds"""" schools

e: Oh hey in some states the state lottery actually """"funds"""" a chunk of the conservation organizations too, would you look at that

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Apr 19, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I was curious and while looking up more information on how that system works I found this fantastic picture:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a tool for hunters that's pretty much a barbed corkscrew that you shove up a deer's rear end to rip its intestines out. I think the deer is supposed to be dead first, but it seems like you can kill two birds by just using that instead of a gun/bow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

This really sounds like it's one of those state-run programs where you "get" the money from the thing while completely coincidentally an equal amount is deducted from the budget you'd otherwise have gotten, like how the lottery """"funds"""" schools

e: Oh hey in some states the state lottery actually """"funds"""" a chunk of the conservation organizations too, would you look at that

It depends. Some states guard it very carefully. Others, not as much.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Hustlin Floh posted:

There's a tool for hunters that's pretty much a barbed corkscrew that you shove up a deer's rear end to rip its intestines out. I think the deer is supposed to be dead first, but it seems like you can kill two birds by just using that instead of a gun/bow.

Lol you forgot about just shooting those barbed anus removers from your gun or bow

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
hunting can be incredibly bougie bullshit like Trump Jr. and those people should be guillotined but for real the majority of hunters are anything but lmao

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Stanky Bean posted:

Lol you forgot about just shooting those barbed anus removers from your gun or bow

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
my dad is a farm boy semi chud boomer dad who is also an environmentalist (doesn’t excuse he chudness) because you can’t hunt if the climate is wiped out or dramatically altered

in conclusion, America is a land of contrasts (various shades of poo poo)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

hunting can be incredibly bougie bullshit like Trump Jr. and those people should be guillotined but for real the majority of hunters are anything but lmao

I think this really must be heavily regional because the only people I've ever known who went hunting (besides one dude) were upper/upper-middle class republican / libertarian types

That one dude was a kid I knew in 9th grade who was very southern pride-y but who in general was a pretty cool nice dude. We did some like, historical / cultural food day project in world history class and he brought in some duck he killed and cooked himself which was pretty neat. My piece even had a chunk of lead shot still embedded in it which I almost broke my tooth on :v:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I think it just depends on the person. I have a cousin who lives in the middle of nowhere and hunts for food but I know other folks who hunt mourning doves, a bird so small there's almost nothing on it edible (also the closest relative of the passenger pigeon).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shooting guns is fun and shooting skeet instead of cute birds is nicer because nothing dies

I don’t like to eat animals that I feel are more intelligent, I’m that guy :shrug:, but I’m reducing how much meat I eat in general

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Stanky Bean posted:

Yeah, Destroy All Humans! was a fun game.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
hunt and eat the rich imo

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Hodgepodge posted:

hunt and eat the rich imo
make the rich fight each other like gladiators in a coliseum for entertainment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dead Beef posted:

make the rich fight each other like gladiators in a coliseum for entertainment

nah that could make them famous

just exile them to a cutthroat prison island like in escape from la

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Peanut President posted:

I think it just depends on the person. I have a cousin who lives in the middle of nowhere and hunts for food but I know other folks who hunt mourning doves, a bird so small there's almost nothing on it edible (also the closest relative of the passenger pigeon).

mourning doves make like the worst noise of any bird. id shoot a mourning dove or pair of them just for some peace and quiet, though im sure the same could be said about me and my posting

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

is it even possible to view the original star wars anymore?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when they land they make angry bird sounds. their coo is ok though

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Eat This Glob posted:

mourning doves make like the worst noise of any bird. id shoot a mourning dove or pair of them just for some peace and quiet, though im sure the same could be said about me and my posting

Oh gently caress THOSE are the ones that make that sound.

OooowHOOoo... Oooh ooh oooh.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lancemantis posted:

If I were Disney I would put the unedited version on my steaming and watch a million nerds put their money down.

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Apr 19, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

people that draw their entire identity by associating with brands are the weirdest, but it makes me laugh so lol

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

lancemantis posted:

there was at one point in i think the late 2000s a dvd pack of the trilogy that had, as a special feature, the unedited original cuts. not great quality since it was a special feature. i think that was the last opportunity to purchase them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

my dad is a farm boy semi chud boomer dad who is also an environmentalist (doesn’t excuse he chudness) because you can’t hunt if the climate is wiped out or dramatically altered

in conclusion, America is a land of contrasts (various shades of poo poo)

My father in law too. Big supporter of Ducks Unlimited. He also worked in the oil industry, and the Venezuelans and Saudis aren't producing at a high environmental standards as Albertans which is why we NEED to ramp up oilsands and pipeline production here, to prevent them from wrecking the planet. Instead of, you know, just finding better sources of energy and creating better manufacturing products other than petroleum etc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh gently caress THOSE are the ones that make that sound.

OooowHOOoo... Oooh ooh oooh.

Yeah I thought they were coming from some kind of bizarre day-owl for the longest time until I saw this little pidgeon-rear end thing puffing up its chest and making the sound right in front of me

I think they're cute though, they always seem to be pecking about in the grass near my apartment in pairs :kimchi:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/guyinthereply/status/1118369965583806464

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I would think probably fake but still lol.

If actually real: extra lol.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why, this madonna was actually a whore the whole time!!!!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

lancemantis posted:

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy%27s_Despecialized_Edition#Reception

Harmy's Despecialized Edition is a series of fan restorations of the first three films in the George Lucas-created Star Wars franchise: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, intended to reproduce their appearance as originally shown in cinemas. The edits were created by a team of Star Wars fans led by Petr "Harmy" Harmáček, an English teacher from Plzeň, Czech Republic. The original Star Wars trilogy was released theatrically by 20th Century Fox for Lucasfilm between 1977 and 1983. Subsequent releases on home media, such as the 1997 "Special Edition" releases, introduced significant changes to the films, including additional scenes, altered sound-effects, and new computer-generated imagery – these changes were met with a generally poor response from critics and fans. As of 2019, the films are no longer commercially available in their original theatrical releases.

Harmáček felt that altering the films in this way constituted "an act of cultural vandalism", and in 2010 was inspired to create his own series of fan edits that restored the theatrical releases in high definition. With no experience in professional film editing, he taught himself as he went, using programs such as Avisynth and Adobe After Effects. Taking the 1993 LaserDisc releases as a guide and a majority of source material from the 2011 Blu-ray releases, Harmáček and a team of eight other fans constructed the edits over many thousands of hours of work. In 2011, one year after the project had begun, the first version of Harmy's Despecialized Edition was published online. Updated versions have been created in the years that followed.

As a fan edit, Harmy's Despecialized Edition cannot be legally bought or sold, and is "to be shared among legal owners of the officially available releases only". Consequently, the films are only available via various BitTorrent trackers and through specialized rapid download programs using file sharing sites. Reaction to the project has been positive: Nathan Barry of Wired praised the films as "an absolute joy to watch", while Gizmodo described them as "very, very good". Sean Hutchinson of Inverse placed Harmy's Despecialized Edition at number one on his list of the best Star Wars fan edits and called them "the perfect pre-1997 way to experience the saga".

If the mouse wants to it can give these people a small fee and dump their version onto the market and make a couple extra million.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I would think probably fake but still lol.

If actually real: extra lol.

I absolutely guarantee this is a real story in some corner of the twitch swamp even if this particular dude isn't real

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there are rips of the laserdisc editions of the orig trig floating around btw, those are the theatrical version

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

iirc practices vary by state but that money is usually instrumental in conservation. Tags, hunting licenses, fishing license, they usually directly fund management. As hunting and fishing has become less popular over the last several decades this has caused a minor crisis in funding for State wildlife agencies.

Of course a lot of people would be surprised at the priorities of these agencies. For example there's really not many places where the wildlife people consider the deer "overpopulated," in a lot of the US in fact they are still intentionally trying to increase deer populations. That there are now so many deer they regularly enter people's gadens and eat their petunias or w/e is a sign of their success. When making decisions managers never had to care about upsetting suburbanite feefees until very recently and generally they still don't give a poo poo/don't want to do anything unless there's extra funding involved. The status of your flower beds is not high on their list of priorities.

Peanut President posted:

I was on probation while you guys were talking about how PROPER HUNTING is supposed to work so I couldn't post this video but I AM NOW AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME
you really want to hunt correctly, you have to do it like this

Apparently if you're a marathon runner its not that difficult to do this in the US with white tail. At least I definitely know of some experimental archaeologists who've tried and succeeded.

Squalid has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Apr 19, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Controversial Opinion: the only good things that came out of the entire star wars franchise was the 1970's commercial breaks and Bea Arthur's awkward but enthusiastic singing from the star wars holiday special

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

I absolutely guarantee this is a real story in some corner of the twitch swamp even if this particular dude isn't real

Point taken.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i wonder if we still have my dads ~1992 VHS boxed set floating around -- i don't know if that was edited at all yet

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

Amouranth, who is one of the biggest streamers, is married. This is the actual meltdown that jokepost is referring to

quote:

mod: I’ve been supporting you for 2 years now. I’m always moderating your chat making sure dumbasses don’t say poo poo about you... Do you know how much I support you? I always donate to you... I’ve given you thousands of dollars at this point...

Amouranth: And I am still thankful for that?

mod: And 2 months ago do you remember what you said to me? I had just got off work and I sent you a picture of my “bored but tired” face on Snapchat. And you said I looked cute. Obviously you know how much I like you. I was gonna fly out to TwitchCon this year... I was hoping we’d maybe get a few drinks afterwards, just you and me... see where the night takes us. And now this comes out? I feel like such a moron.

Amouranth: Don’t say that. Listen of course you’re cute! I am so thankful to call you my friend. And you are such a big supporter of me but I do have a husband and that’s just how it is. I’m sorry if you had other intentions in mind but I am taken.

mod: I don’t need you. There are a whole lot of other streamers that deserve my time and support. As they say there are plenty of other fish in the sea. Fish without husbands too... you liar skank. I will no longer be dedicating 1/3 of my day to moderating your chat. Let the wildebeests roam... and if you need me, I’ll be in STPeach’s chat from now on. You may not know this but I actually do watch her streams after yours are over. And I’ve been a 6 month subscriber as well... I donated her $30 the other day and said her outfit looked cute - she said I’m a sweetheart. Things are looking up for me (and down for you). This is where I bid farewell to you, have fun being a liar bitchface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait until they learn that women wear makeup