Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd rather an FFT2 than an FFTA anything.

Game of Thrones is FFT2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

When there's another 'advance' system.

A2 was not on an "advance" system

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is amazing.

Out of context, the line "People die and Yuna dances" is pretty hosed up and weird.

I remember T40s highlighting this fact wonderfully. In fact, I'm bored and need something to watch, maybe it's time I load up that great LP.

Or their FFXV LP.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

@ XIII-2 Talk

gently caress if I know anything about sience but I thought the linear conception of time was only one theory and hardly proven. I mostly read philosophy, and not philosophy on this kinda thing, but Time is not so simple, let alone time travel.

I didn't like Noel at first either but I like his backstory and stuff when you learn more about him. He has a great theme, too. I prefer him to Serah.

The real hero of XIII-2 is Caius anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

@ XIII-2 Talk

gently caress if I know anything about sience but I thought the linear conception of time was only one theory and hardly proven. I mostly read philosophy, and not philosophy on this kinda thing, but Time is not so simple, let alone time travel.

I didn't like Noel at first either but I like his backstory and stuff when you learn more about him. He has a great theme, too. I prefer him to Serah.

I actually like Noel as a character, he just looks like he's in the wrong game. He looks like Sora's older brother, and pretty much none of his alt costumes are any better except for the hilariously out of place Ezio outfit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I actually like Noel as a character, he just looks like he's in the wrong game. He looks like Sora's older brother, and pretty much none of his alt costumes are any better except for the hilariously out of place Ezio outfit.

You're right, he does look like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts and worst of all his outfit communicates none of his character or personality or backstory. I honestly do think the Ezio outfit is the only one that might fit him.

Where are you in the game?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

You're right, he does look like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts and worst of all his outfit communicates none of his character or personality or backstory. I honestly do think the Ezio outfit is the only one that might fit him.

Where are you in the game?

Just got to the Yaschas Massif and met Hope. I am liking it quite a bit but the unpredictable single digit framerate spikes on the Xbox one x are pretty aggravating.

e: I think the rear end Creed outfit would be perfect if I could have him wear it hood down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

@ XIII-2 Talk

Real world causality and timespace is pretty well examined to exclude anything resembling information traveling backwards and any artifacts we can or can't anticipate are going to be even more weirder than information traveling backwards. The one thing absolute about reality seems to be that info only exists moving forward in time. Nothing necessarily linear since relativity means traversing spacetime at different rates compared to other things, but forward all the same.

But 13-2 isn't the real world, it's a bad broken world so Lightning stabbed God in the face so she could move to France and be a fashion model and not worry about time travel or chaos immortality.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Just got to the Yaschas Massif and met Hope. I am liking it quite a bit but the unpredictable single digit framerate spikes on the Xbox one x are pretty aggravating.

e: I think the rear end Creed outfit would be perfect if I could have him wear it hood down.

I think every version of XIII-2 has FPS issues, even the PC port. Maybe it runs well on the PS3 emulator? I haven't checked.

Unlike XIII, which took forever to make, they kinda just chucked XIII-2 out there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

I think every version of XIII-2 has FPS issues, even the PC port. Maybe it runs well on the PS3 emulator? I haven't checked.

Unlike XIII, which took forever to make, they kinda just chucked XIII-2 out there.

Yeah I had a fluctuating frame rate on PC but it never dropped into single digits. It looks so much nicer on the bone x though. :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mega64 posted:

Game of Thrones is FFT2.

I don't mind the light-hearted stories of the advanced games, but the mechanics are just a mess. I'd dig another FFT with similar mechanics / setting, but I'd rather take a lighter or standard FF story with those mechanics, than another gritty story with the advanced systems.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I feel like FFTA2 did a lot to smooth over a lot of the worst bits of A1 myself so I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I watched this earlier but my sound must have been off so I just rewatched it and lmao

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CeallaSo posted:

No no, you're thinking of their AAA development scheduling. This is a side title, so it'll get rushed over the course of the next 2 years and then reworked as a mobile gacha.

Already happened.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_S

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can’t believe English-speaking regions were robbed of Mail Knight.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I vaguely remember FFT S, wasn't that from like the era of FF All the Bravest? I vaguely recall it looked pretty bad

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

:thejoke:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been playing the FF9 Remaster and this double speed button is fantastic. The fact that you can use it while playing Chocobo Hot and Cold and the timer doesn't tick faster while you do it is great. It wasnt hard to get the robe of lords early on.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I've been playing the FF9 Remaster and this double speed button is fantastic. The fact that you can use it while playing Chocobo Hot and Cold and the timer doesn't tick faster while you do it is great. It wasnt hard to get the robe of lords early on.

Only thing I didn't like about the 2X speed in 9 is that it's for the entire game and not just battles. I'm sure some folks don't mind it but it bothered me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the 2X speed in 9 is that it's for the entire game and not just battles. I'm sure some folks don't mind it but it bothered me.

You can click it on/off with a button

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think Ivalice is the only good FF universe because they had the time and several titles to develop it so I wouldnt mind another main title or a spinoff.

Like all the other ones feel pretty underdeveloped in comparison

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I dunno honestly something like FF7's setting is enormously gripping to me especially at like age 30 now just off a single game and it just got worse with the extended universe releases lol

FF7 did a really good job of painting the inescapable sprawl of the megacorp getting into its hands in local communities and wrecking them and that's something that still stays with me that none of the EU stuff ever did for me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

13 is my favorite setting for an FF game closely followed by 8.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Merilan posted:

I dunno honestly something like FF7's setting is enormously gripping to me especially at like age 30 now just off a single game and it just got worse with the extended universe releases lol

FF7 did a really good job of painting the inescapable sprawl of the megacorp getting into its hands in local communities and wrecking them and that's something that still stays with me that none of the EU stuff ever did for me

I feel like most Final Fantasy games are as fleshed out as they need to be for the story they're telling, and not much more (and the ones that do overfocus on the world are at a disadvantage because of it), and VII by itself is actually at a huge benefit because of that. You don't need to know the ins and outs of Shinra no matter how pervasive they are in the story, what you need to know is how badly they gently caress up both normal people's lives and the planet itself. And they do such a fantastic job of painting that side of things that the specifics of the Shinra side of things just don't occur to you as essentially being blank slates.

And something that just occurred to me: I think one of the understated lynchpins of making VII work is Cid and Rocket Town. In a sci-fi setting of any stripe it's easy to fall into a trap of seeing 'technology' as a whole as this monolithic thing, either good or bad depending on what the story is, but without nuance inside of that. But Cid breaks FFVII out of that; his side of things acts to show that one of the victims of the misuse of technology is other technology. His story pulls away the 'Technology=Bad' interpretation that some people might have gotten from the story by that point (and, if I'm honest, was basically genuinely held by VI) and gives things some nice depth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean the solution in FFVII to Mako technology killing the planet is to go back to burning coal so the game has some weird feelings about tech.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

WaltherFeng posted:

I think Ivalice is the only good FF universe because they had the time and several titles to develop it so I wouldnt mind another main title or a spinoff.

Like all the other ones feel pretty underdeveloped in comparison

I still would really like to see Vana'diel show up in a single player setting, either fast forwarded or rewound a couple of centuries so the world isnt rooted in the MMO conceit of the age of adventurers and you can have a proper plot and set of protagonists

There's some decent lore in 11 but in 2004 you were only ever getting it in pieces spaced weeks apart so it never really set in

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Skeezy posted:

ImpAtom posted:

You can click it on/off with a button

Yeah it's this. You can turn it off at any point, which I often do if I'm looking for buried treasure.

The only time you can't turn it off is cutscenes. Whatever speed you had when it started is what you're gonna get.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Merilan posted:

7's world always bugs me because of how empty it is, despite the setting implying a very lived-in world. It feels like it would've benefited from little towns or farms or scattered buildings on the world map that you couldn't necessarily enter but were just shown as present.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

7's world always bugs me because of how empty it is, despite the setting implying a very lived-in world. It feels like it would've benefited from little towns or farms or scattered buildings on the world map that you couldn't necessarily enter but were just shown as present.

I mean isnt that what Kalm and Costa del Sol and Nibleheim and Gongaga are supposed to be? I honestly thought it gave you a really good feeling of the variety of towns outside Shinra's capstone towns of Midgard and Junon.

I think the only part of the games setting that is off is IIRC dont recall going to any wutai towns, like what was it like in rural areas that took the brunt of the fighting on the losing side?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I feel like most Final Fantasy games are as fleshed out as they need to be for the story they're telling, and not much more (and the ones that do overfocus on the world are at a disadvantage because of it), and VII by itself is actually at a huge benefit because of that. You don't need to know the ins and outs of Shinra no matter how pervasive they are in the story, what you need to know is how badly they gently caress up both normal people's lives and the planet itself. And they do such a fantastic job of painting that side of things that the specifics of the Shinra side of things just don't occur to you as essentially being blank slates.

And something that just occurred to me: I think one of the understated lynchpins of making VII work is Cid and Rocket Town. In a sci-fi setting of any stripe it's easy to fall into a trap of seeing 'technology' as a whole as this monolithic thing, either good or bad depending on what the story is, but without nuance inside of that. But Cid breaks FFVII out of that; his side of things acts to show that one of the victims of the misuse of technology is other technology. His story pulls away the 'Technology=Bad' interpretation that some people might have gotten from the story by that point (and, if I'm honest, was basically genuinely held by VI) and gives things some nice depth.

Don't forget Bugenhagen who uses technology to show us how wondrous nature is. Also I have heard he used to work at Shinra.

Barudak posted:

I mean the solution in FFVII to Mako technology killing the planet is to go back to burning coal so the game has some weird feelings about tech.

I think that's better seen as part of FFVII's other big theme which is an opposition to Capitalism. Coal is the traditional way of life for Corel but they turned away from it for quick money. This "loss of traditional culture" t heme comes up a lot in FFVII.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't forget Bugenhagen who uses technology to show us how wondrous nature is. Also I have heard he used to work at Shinra.

I think that's better seen as part of FFVII's other big theme which is an opposition to Capitalism. Coal is the traditional way of life for Corel but they turned away from it for quick money. This "loss of traditional culture" t heme comes up a lot in FFVII.

Yeah he says that he worked for Shrina in the past when he boards the Highwind, taking about how does miss being in something like your ship.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey I mean his choices in the war were fuedal monarchists or capitalist monarchists so why not go with thr side that lets you fly around in some sick airships

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

NikkolasKing posted:

I always figured the coal thing was a bit of dramatic irony. We the players know coal does some bad poo poo to the environment; but the world of FF7 has been using Mako as their dominant power supply for so long that no one knows that coal also screws with stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pretty soft girl posted:

I still would really like to see Vana'diel show up in a single player setting, either fast forwarded or rewound a couple of centuries so the world isnt rooted in the MMO conceit of the age of adventurers and you can have a proper plot and set of protagonists

There's some decent lore in 11 but in 2004 you were only ever getting it in pieces spaced weeks apart so it never really set in

Didn’t they announce a single player cell phone version of 11 when they announced it was going into maintenance mode?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn’t they announce a single player cell phone version of 11 when they announced it was going into maintenance mode?
unironically would buy

like, they have the Trust system to give you a full NPC "party", they hardly even need to balance anything, just release that poo poo for an amount I can pay upfront and let me Dick Around In Vana'Diel(tm)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BisbyWorl posted:

I always figured the coal thing was a bit of dramatic irony. We the players know coal does some bad poo poo to the environment; but the world of FF7 has been using Mako as their dominant power supply for so long that no one knows that coal also screws with stuff.

I mean Coal doesn't literally burn souls.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean Coal doesn't literally burn souls.

In fact it replenishes them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In fact it replenishes them.

Feed your blood minerals to the friendly monsters to make them happy!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

TBF if I had to choose between polluting the atmosphere and literally consuming the souls of the dead which prevents new life from forming, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I don't really think coal was painted as a pure positive in FF7 either, since the time it comes up was in Corel where Barret was putting forth the argument that it's outdated and dying and they didn't have much choice but for their village to try to move on with the times.

Just, y'know, the replacement tech is soul-munching electric power run by a goony military megacorp who's willing to open fire on them at the slightest provocation

Also I don't think VI paints technology as purely bad either. Edgar isn't ever shown to be bad for being an engineer, Figaro Castle is your ally through and through, and if anything the metaphor for Magic and the Empire is probably more along the lines of rampant consumption and exploitation and destruction of resources and the livelihoods of indigenous people (the Espers, in this metaphor)