Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Natalie Dormer was an A+ choice for an aged up Margaery and then they didn't do too much with her. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The tyrells' end wasnt great, but it sure beat Littlefinger's.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Olenna went out with the best loving mic drop ever though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Karmine posted:

Perfect casting. She owned.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generally the problem was handwaving "Jaime defeats the faction with all the gold and food during a long weekend in Highgarden" just to get us to the next plot beat. Season 7 was full of sloppy stuff like that just so we could get to the scenes they wanted to do (Olenna owns Jaime and advances his character development) by any means necessary.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: ^^ beaten

No Wave posted:

The tyrells' end wasnt great, but it sure beat Littlefinger's.

It's bad because it's rushed (a whole early season's worth of plot movement happens in one episode) but their end is entirely appropriate: they scheme and plot and switch sides repeatedly and blatantly profiteer from the food shortages caused by the war but they're not a martial house and so the first time they gently caress up badly enough that an army gets sent against them they fold.

ultima ratio regum etc etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think season 7 could’ve been really improved just by giving it 10 episodes so some of those plot beats got room to breathe.

I’d be interested in hearing what the showrunners would cut if they knew from s1 that they’d have 8 seasons and no more books. My first two guesses would be the direwolves and everything in Qarth.

You could easily cut enough “goes nowhere but it’s in the book” to have s7 be two whole seasons probably.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think season 7 could’ve been really improved just by giving it 10 episodes so some of those plot beats got room to breathe.

I’d be interested in hearing what the showrunners would cut if they knew from s1 that they’d have 8 seasons and no more books. My first two guesses would be the direwolves and everything in Qarth.

You could easily cut some “goes nowhere but it’s in the book” to have s7 be two whole seasons probably.

Can you really cut out the direwolves entirely, though? Lady getting executed kinda kicked off a whole lotta poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Didn't help that she was in the world's worst Terminator movie.

Careful now, it's still not Terminator 4.

E: The direwolves are tremendously important on a symbolic level.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Can you really cut out the direwolves entirely, though? Lady getting executed kinda kicked off a whole lotta poo poo.

The direwolves matter because one of the big threads of the story is the stark children starting out together, getting scattered to the four corners of the world, then coming back together. Getting the direwolves is the start of that story. It's just something that fizzles because GRRM scattered/killed the wolves then realised that he can't get them back.

e: I think they already have cut the wolves back as much as they could. In the books it's hinted that Jon's soul is going to spend some time warged into Ghost and that might be a plot point for that version of the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah Ghost, Summer and Nymeria are still all big parts of the books. Ghost especially will likely factor into Jon's death, since it's been established that wargs often end up in ther animals when they die.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But since Lady’s death they have been a nonfactor on the show. Bran having wolf dreams and then warging is the only other thing they’ve done, and that can be shown without a pet wolf.

If they bring Ghost back at this point it’s just going to be comical.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don’t forgot Carl Drogo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j0mvu6-NSM

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But since Lady’s death they have been a nonfactor on the show. Bran having wolf dreams and then warging is the only other thing they’ve done, and that can be shown without a pet wolf.

oh 100%

When was the last time we even saw Ghost lmao, does Jon even care? Is he somewhere beyond the wall??

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Where IS Ghost? He should be at Winterfell right? Maybe they spent all the CGI budget on the dragons.

Would have been neat to have Ghost standing beside Jon when he faced down the cavalry charge at the Battle of Bastards

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I probably would have preferred "Winterfell Bound" for several episodes compared to "Jon's definitely dead you guys."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently Ghost is: at Winterfell, just very expensive to bring out.

There's probably some deeper plot point about how Jon is the best ruler because he's the only Stark who managed to keep his Direwolf around.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The dire wolves haven't really taken up much screentime imo, generally they show up in scenes where other poo poo is happening anyway. Like you see them padding around while Jon is talking to other Nights Watch guys in the early seasons or walking around beyond the wall. Or there's a quick cut of them getting killed like in the Hold the Door scene or the scene where the dude establishes he has Rickon prisoner. I just don't think you'd gain that much time by cutting their poo poo.

I'd cut the scenes in Braavos down quite a lot, some amount of the Daenerys wheelspinning, the Sand Snakes stuff ended up being almost entirely inconsequential, just have Dorne send Cersei's daughter back voluntarily and have the lady kill her the same way it happened in the show but cut out the Jaime/Bronn mission.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 19, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't blame them for spending sfx money on dragons and battles over "slightly larger wolves"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the issue with the wolves is more their budget than their screentime. And doing them then dropping them is awkward.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
The Kelly C thing was from an ancient "game of thrones according to 4chan" meme: https://imgur.com/gallery/lM6Jb

tbh I still sometimes think about Syrio Forel = "cereal forall" and laugh a little bit

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Alchenar posted:

The direwolves matter because one of the big threads of the story is the stark children starting out together, getting scattered to the four corners of the world, then coming back together. Getting the direwolves is the start of that story. It's just something that fizzles because GRRM scattered/killed the wolves then realised that he can't get them back.

e: I think they already have cut the wolves back as much as they could. In the books it's hinted that Jon's soul is going to spend some time warged into Ghost and that might be a plot point for that version of the story.

Jon keeping his mind preserved warging in ghost while he waits to be resurrected and coming back with some wolf traits was one of the few things left to anticipate in the books

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is "anticipate" the right word when it's never coming out?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ol qwerty bastard posted:

The Kelly C thing was from an ancient "game of thrones according to 4chan" meme: https://imgur.com/gallery/lM6Jb

tbh I still sometimes think about Syrio Forel = "cereal forall" and laugh a little bit

:yeah:

/got/ produces good memes. like pls respond

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But since Lady’s death they have been a nonfactor on the show.

I thought when Robb's dead body was paraded out with his wolf's head grotesquely piked onto his neck stump, it was a crazy visual at least.

Karmine posted:

Olenna loving owned. 'Painless poison? Thanks. Yanno, I didn't realize your son was going to die foaming at the mouth and bleeding from every orifice when I picked that one. Cheers!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 20, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

esperterra posted:

:yeah:

/got/ produces good memes. like pls respond

"pls respond" is an old LUE meme from a real life text convo an user posted involving them and an uninterested girl.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

One of my favorite moments of my rewatch was the Olenna/Tywin exchange. I think there was only one, but there should have been far more. The back-and-forth verbal fireballs were a sight to see.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best part of that exchange is that it takes place after Tywin has shown back up and laid Tyrion low after being so active in S2, and when he acts like a depressed, defeated husk in front of Olenna she's legitimately disappointed because she thought Tyrion was more formidable. It's a great bit of acting all around.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of us use Dany for short. Dany or Daenerys is fine to me. Even "the khaleesi" would be okay. But its real clear some people don't get that its a title. Calling Cersei "the queen" is fine (even if there's lots of queens, depending on context you probably know which) but saying "I can't wait to see Queen tonight on GOT" would make me expect Brian May. Lots of kids named "Khaleesi" which seems even sillier than naming your kid Spiderman.

Viserys maaay have but I don't think so. Its a show watcher thing, not in the show itself.

You're overlooking how it's used. Her servants say things like "It is known Khaleesi" or when she's holding the hot egg and her servant exclaims "Khaleesi!" as she jumps to grab it. Bunch of phrases like that.

Yeah it's a title but its functionality used like a name. So people on Twitter and other places are using it the same way, since that's just how it's used.

It's like how it's HULK or Master Chief. Actually, yeah think of it like a military title and Khaleesi makes a lot of sense. Lord Commander.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm Leslie Jones reacting to people calling the episode boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2xtE2umMHM

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I miss Daro Daro Ducksauce

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

IncendiaC posted:

Clarke's best performance outside of S1 was the S3 scene where Dany smugly tells that one slavemaster to gently caress off in Valyrian and commands her dragon to burn him alive.

that's because she basically plays the entire character as smug but that is the one scene where the smugness works

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Daenerys is the smug Pepe of Game of Thrones

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

romanowski posted:

that's because she basically plays the entire character as smug but that is the one scene where the smugness works

My old avatar that I had for ~6 years was Dany's smug face:

And Now His Watch Is Ended is my favorite episode of the show, followed by Hardhome.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mantis42 posted:

"pls respond" is an old LUE meme from a real life text convo an user posted involving them and an uninterested girl.

Oh I know I just mean in terms of how many Jorah themed ones there are

Woden
May 6, 2006

esperterra posted:

I think Emilia Clarke was kinda great when she was playing the more timid Dany who comes into her own in season one. Ever since she got the dragons tho she's bored the poo poo out of me unless she's speaking in a made up language, when suddenly she can emote well

I think it was just after season one where she had brain tumours removed. She thought after the operation she'd lost her ability to act and was really struggling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Woden posted:

I think it was just after season one where she had brain tumours removed. She thought after the operation she'd lost her ability to act and was really struggling.

She suffered two aneurysms, not brain tumors. Still, she almost died after filming season 1. The article she wrote for The New Yorker details everything.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Woden posted:

What

teagone posted:

She suffered two aneurysms, not brain tumors. Still, she almost died after filming season 1. The article she wrote for The New Yorker details everything.

WHAT

Holy poo poo I've a few thoughts

1) I feel bad for ever thinking poorly of her acting, because even if the aneurisms didn't have anything to do with it, she also had an aneurism and ughughugh
2) Why are there so many medical horror stories for the actors of this show? Is it just the result of having such a large ensemble cast?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Xanderkish posted:

2) Why are there so many medical horror stories for the actors of this show? Is it just the result of having such a large ensemble cast?

https://www.etonline.com/jason-momoas-slap-game-once-sent-game-of-thrones-showrunner-to-the-hospital-123678

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

thebardyspoon posted:

The dire wolves haven't really taken up much screentime imo, generally they show up in scenes where other poo poo is happening anyway. Like you see them padding around while Jon is talking to other Nights Watch guys in the early seasons or walking around beyond the wall. Or there's a quick cut of them getting killed like in the Hold the Door scene or the scene where the dude establishes he has Rickon prisoner. I just don't think you'd gain that much time by cutting their poo poo.
Yeah. Obviously they spent some money on them, but in terms of episode time, they seem well worth it. 90% of the time they're actively moving the plot along or there's some symbolism to what's going on with them, or both, and their scenes are kept short by virtue of being expensive.

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd cut the scenes in Braavos down quite a lot, some amount of the Daenerys wheelspinning, the Sand Snakes stuff ended up being almost entirely inconsequential, just have Dorne send Cersei's daughter back voluntarily and have the lady kill her the same way it happened in the show but cut out the Jaime/Bronn mission.
If it wasn't because of Tyrion shipping her daughter there there'd be no reason at all you couldn't just cut Dorne from the show entirely, but Myrcella needs to die to get Cersei to move on. I wonder if you couldn't just have Myrcella die due to some unspecified sudden illness, with Cersei concluding it was a poisoning without there being any actual evidence for it? Actually, let Myrcella get back to King's Landing all safe-like alongside Trystane, and then have her get poisoned there. It'd allow us to still have the sweet "I love you uncle-dad" scene, and put Trystane at the mercy of Cersei during her "Let's support these religious fanatics" phase. Using the Sparrows to pry a confession of infidelity and murder out of Trystane seems right in Cersei's wheelhouse, and would support the rest of the story pretty well I think.

The rest of the Dorne story could just be a mention at some point that it has its own full blown civil war going on following the loss of both Oberyn and Trystane, with Ellaria leading the faction out for revenge against Cersei and the Lannisters.