Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

TinTower posted:

Asking if you can commit a hate crimes to own the libs.

What statement are those lanyards trying to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

The Wittertainment Code Of Conduct, which should be on display in all cinemas, already include "irresponsible parenting".

Is it just me or does the first rule ban popcorn?

Love the strange reference to Japan, the land without shoes.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

What statement are those lanyards trying to make?

"Trans women are not women, but men."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm gonna use my Palm Pilot in the cinema and you can't stop me

Who do you think you are, Alamo Draught House?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That's a weird rear end curry but I guess there's nothing in the rulebook against putting silver in.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Getting berated for drinking my fizzy drinks like a child and spoiling the serious super hero movie for adults. Sorry Mark COMMODE (A TOILET).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
e: nah

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Always bring children to movies because hearing them flip out with glee over their favorite super hero punching a bad guy is :unsmith:

Agreed. A friend and I took my nephew and her kid to see The Lego Batman Movie. Great film, but the best bit was at the end when both kids shouted "NO!" when it looks like Batman will have to return to the Phantom Zone. I miss getting quite that involved in a film.

felch me daddy jr. posted:

I also like that the food rules would put cinemas out of business, seeing as the profit mostly comes from selling those snacks.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not being able to afford a babysitter shouldn't keep parents from having a night out :shobon:

They should either have a soundproof room in the back of the theater where you can still see the movie without your fussy kid disturbing other patrons or special screenings for parents with kids

E: VVV :hmmyes: VVV

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Apr 19, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pththya-lyi posted:

Not being able to afford a babysitter shouldn't keep parents from having a night out :shobon:

They should either have a soundproof room in the back of the theater where you can still see the movie without your fussy kid disturbing other patrons or special screenings for parents with kids

This, but also a soundproof room for the nerds. And you don't let them out afterwards

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

This is great. Gerry, you dumb old fart.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Theaters suck anyway. Way too expensive for what you're getting. Just wait and watch that poo poo at home, in privacy and comfort.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

This, but also a soundproof room for the nerds. And you don't let them out afterwards

You say "soundproof room," I say "oven." Potato/potahto.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You're lovely if you get angry over a kid getting excited about seeing their favorite superhero kick rear end.

Conversely, you're also lovely if you bring your toddler to a late night showing of Jurassic Park 3D and they spend a significant portion of the film crying because they're scared and overtired.

This isn't complicated.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Theaters suck anyway. Way too expensive for what you're getting. Just wait and watch that poo poo at home, in privacy and comfort.

That's what I do

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I saw The Empire Strikes Back when I was 1.5

It's my oldest memory. The Battle Of Hoth was awesome.

Pretty sure I didn't cry.

Pretty sure.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sunswipe posted:

Agreed. A friend and I took my nephew and her kid to see The Lego Batman Movie. Great film, but the best bit was at the end when both kids shouted "NO!" when it looks like Batman will have to return to the Phantom Zone. I miss getting quite that involved in a film.

It's always so adorable to see kids getting really into the movies they're watching. Last year when the theater near me was showing The Princess Bride for its anniversary, I was seated next to a mother and her daughter. The scene during the climax when Inigo gets stabbed, the theater was so quiet you could hear a pin drop--except for the little girl, who let out a shocked and concerned gasp.

Moments like that are what makes going to a theater to see a movie worth it.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter
My cousin makes 3-5 posts a day like this, really channeling that Charlie Kelly/"they need to do way instain mother" energy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There were a bunch of people telling parents not to bring their children to Incredibles 2 on opening night because it's a special movie for adults.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

I pay $20 for AMC A-list so I can see all these movies in IMAX for free so hell I'll keep doin that!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

a lot of cinemas used to have exactly this room

http://cinelog.org/cinelog/2009/01/29/the-cry-room/

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

GreenMetalSun posted:

Posted in complete sincerity, apparently.

Friends wife is a teacher and she's into this stuff. She gave me like... "ginger juice" she got the recipe from her sister who is really skilled with the natural remedy stuff. Served in a shot glass. Tasted fine. So I took another and she yanked away the bottle because she said I might overdose on ginger because it's so powerful.

I looked at the recipe

Ginger juice concentrate
Honey
Lemon juice

I told my friend later that the ginger healing potion was some hocus pocus crap. He responded that his wife is a chemistry teacher so she knows more about this stuff than me. I conceded the point and refrained from pointing out that she's a 4th grade chemistry teacher and the most advanced chemistry she's done is turn chocolate powder and milk into chocolate milk.

His wife is the oddest topic between us because since she's a teacher that automatically means she's a genius in his world. He takes everything she says for granted but at the same time she's in her 60's and believe everything she reads on facebook and he keeps retelling the stuff she shares with him

Which is fine for simple stuff like ginger healing potions. But then she goes "You know Islam requires its members to strike down every non-Muslim they encounter? They have to do that or they can't be Muslim"

At which point the record skips I can't just go keep nodding along in bored resignation.

Katt has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Apr 19, 2019

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Croatoan posted:

Pretty sure.

One of my oldest memories is seeing Beauty and the Beast and losing it about 5 minutes in when the prince turns into a beast and wrecks the castle. I was so loving scared. I also cried during the live action Casper because her father becomes a ghost and that was scary, and during Pocahontas because at that point I was terrified of movie theaters.

Basically, I was that child I hate.

e: I loved the Lion King though, so who knows.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm pretty sure no one here is getting mad at kids enjoying movies. It's cool to see a kid enjoy and get involved in a movie. It is not cool to have a kid cry, loudly talk, get up and wander around, or kick chairs.

This should be obvious, but well....

No one is saying don't bring kids to Endgame because it is a super serious movie. Just that no one wants to pay $15 a ticket to have a lovely parent having their screaming kid sit next to them.

enigmahfc has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Apr 19, 2019

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Mak0rz posted:

You're lovely if you get angry over a kid getting excited about seeing their favorite superhero kick rear end.

Conversely, you're also lovely if you bring your toddler to a late night showing of Jurassic Park 3D and they spend a significant portion of the film crying because they're scared and overtired.

This isn't complicated.

This is basically how I feel. If you're taking your kid to a movie, it should be a movie the kid would like to see.

If I'm going to the theaters to see a superhero movie or a Pixar movie, I expect kids to be there, and I don't mind it when they get excited or ask their parents questions - if anything, it makes the whole experience more fun and nostalgic.

But a kid is not gonna enjoy the 10:00 showtime of The Conjuring. You're keeping them up past their bedtime and letting them get scared and overwhelmed by loud noises, just because you didn't wanna wait 2 months for it to hit Redbox.

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: VVV :hmmyes: VVV

I dunno how popular it is, but my local theater usually has dedicated child/toddler-friendly showings in the afternoons. They keep the lights up a little bit, and everyone expects the audience to be a little noisy or for people to have to step out. Sometimes they'll also have autism/sensory disorder-friendly showings where everything's not as loud and bright.

ghost emoji has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Apr 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When I was a kid I was terrified of volcanoes and there was a nonzero amount of volcano movies like Volcano and Dante's Peak in the mid 90s. I was fine sitting through the movies themselves but while you can control what movie you take a kid to and make sure it's one that they're interested in, you can't control what previews they show beforehand, so other audience members had to deal with my mom leaving the theatre momentarily when the previews ended to come get my rear end waiting outside the theatre to make sure I wouldn't see a terrifying preview for a goddamn volcano movie. Oh no, what a burden for my fellow moviegoers.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just don't do like the worst parent I have ever seen and take your small kids to Pan's Labyrinth.

Oh, you think they realized their mistake and left once they saw it was loving subtitled and also not at all for kids? AHAHAHA NO! Those two kids white-knuckled the most of the way through a movie I'm not sure they could both understand. When did they leave? After the first torture scene? Ohhhh, no, not at all! They didn't leave until Vidal was sewing up his loving face and then drinking booze which visibly seeped through the hole! And I think that's just because the youngest was just sobbing brokenly and unceasingly. The older one was trembling and staring.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Just don't do like the worst parent I have ever seen and take your small kids to Pan's Labyrinth.

Oh, you think they realized their mistake and left once they saw it was loving subtitled and also not at all for kids? AHAHAHA NO! Those two kids white-knuckled the most of the way through a movie I'm not sure they could both understand. When did they leave? After the first torture scene? Ohhhh, no, not at all! They didn't leave until Vidal was sewing up his loving face and then drinking booze which visibly seeped through the hole! And I think that's just because the youngest was just sobbing brokenly and unceasingly. The older one was trembling and staring.

:stare:

That's child abuse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Introduce them to both magical realism and the Spanish civil war as early as possible imo

If you’re not reading a hundred years of solitude to them at bedtime CPS should take your kids away

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Katt posted:

I conceded the point and refrained from pointing out that she's a 4th grade chemistry teacher and the most advanced chemistry she's done is turn chocolate powder and milk into chocolate milk.

What wizardry is this?!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Midnight Voyager posted:

At least they didn't stay long enough to watch the kid die...oh wait, that's literally the first scene.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My worst is Schindler’s List, but that’s not visually as disturbing for a tiny kid :smith:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Pretty sure.

Not even when Han gets frozen in carbonite? I've never not cried at that part...

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What the gently caress why am I seeing more and more of this bullshit

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

seiferguy posted:

I pay $20 for AMC A-list so I can see all these movies in IMAX for free so hell I'll keep doin that!
:thunk:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brawnfire posted:

What the gently caress why am I seeing more and more of this bullshit

Because the internet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is hilarious and he’s obviously not serious.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1119344672101552129?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Most accurate part of that tweet is "never seen".