Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here is a more comprehensive substitute for the biology chart, although not presented in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

https://oni-assistant.com/tools/foodcalculator

If you pick meat or BBQ, you can select which creature you want to ranch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well it turns out that Mr. Biology Chart guy thought that since he did the chart, Klei should have fixed all the bugs he reported and he left the discussion when that didn't happen. One does wonder if he made it out of junior high yet? At any rate, he won't be back and neither will the chart apparently.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Uh really?

quote:

Duplicants were earning skill experience at about 3x the rate they were tuned to, now the algorithm has been corrected.

Knew it was too good to last :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The new materials overlay in the testing branch is SO loving AWESOME!!!!!!! :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
drat, had a 400-500 cycle base that was starting to seriously explore space.

My hard drive blew up and I had to get a new one then re-install everything.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Just bought this. Should I go in blind? I have seen Northernlion play it in the past but I have forgotten mostly everything.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I’d say yes, the fun part of this game is loving up repeatedly until you stop. You can look things up as you learn or need to but for the most part experimenting/failing upwards will net you the most enjoyment.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mazz posted:

I’d say yes, the fun part of this game is loving up repeatedly until you stop. You can look things up as you learn or need to but for the most part experimenting/failing upwards will net you the most enjoyment.

Or you'll get so frustrated at the backwards logic that you burn yourself out on it because you're not in the mood to repeat for the 8th time in a row because of <asinine base-ending reason #34>

My advice would be to do cursory research before you attempt something (to see if it will even work), or gently caress about with an idea in creative mode before trying to carry it over to Survival. Just because spending 2 hours on a project only to realise it doesn't work is a horrific experience.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah, there's a bunch of counterintuitive stuff in the game. For the first ~6 hours of playing I quite reasonably assumed that immersing your dupes in Chlorine gas would be immediately lethal.

The piping and wiring systems are kinda funky, and the general gas management system is pretty unrealistic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDDAGj5aiI

Edit: patch notes

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 16, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

May 28 is release day.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
This is getting shelved for Anno for now but pretty pumped I have like 2 good months of video games here

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Lets see if I hit 700 hours played before release day.

:smithicide:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oooh, mod support. Really looking forward to anime cat tittie people all the cool stuff people think up.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're the new biomes added yet? The games I made since it dropped saw me surrounded by hot biomes

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

We're the new biomes added yet? The games I made since it dropped saw me surrounded by hot biomes

The new biomes are bundled with the May 28th release, so not yet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/be7d52/zombie_spores_treatment/

wow, i guess the devs really were scraping the bottom of the barrel to make nymph farms a necessity

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They're dupes. I have complete faith they would find a way to do that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I like to imagine it was some water with one germ on it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Most likely the water cooler; water that got mixed up with poop somewhere, mopped up, and later delivered to your friendly neighborhood dining hall. I’ve seen that nuke a dupes immunity from 100% to 0 instantly pre Mk3 changes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, definitely the water cooler. There are some food poisoning germs in my clean water reservoir near the bottle emptier. No idea how germs got in those clean water bottles though, because it never mixed with polluted water before it got mopped up.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, definitely the water cooler. There are some food poisoning germs in my clean water reservoir near the bottle emptier. No idea how they got in those clean water bottles though, because it never mixed with polluted water before it got mopped up.

It can be something stupid like accidentally deconstructing a bathroom pipe. Seems to always happen eventually.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

This was really early on, still in the starting biome. No plumbing at that point whatsoever. I dug in a way to combine all three pools the first 10 cycles, and there was some mopping for the water still resting on some tiles.

Maybe it comes from duplicates with germs using the pitcher pump and then immediately using the bottle emptier to get rid of the amount of water they've pumped but don't need? I saw that a lot in the previous update too, I guess the pitcher pump serves just one size of bottle?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

On a whole things get infected with food poisoning germs really easy now. And beware the stray cloud of polluted oxygen with slimelung floating through your bedrooms!

I'll be glad once I have a SPOM + suits set up.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah always put a sink in between anything where dupes handle germy stuff. Once its on their hands it gets on and in anything they touch. It could've just been some bad luck there. My solution is to always put the early compost and small dirty water storage in a room inside my bathroom, so the dupes run past the bathrooms and sinks to that little storage area. That way any germy interaction dupe is forced to pass by bathroom sinks at the same time. The water storage will usually be small room that penetrates in the room beneath, only has to last till I get the plumbing loop up and 12-16 tiles of dirty water storage should last like 150 cycles when you only have 4-5 dupes.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 19, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The disease update trailer finally delivers.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Dupes were taking ore from the bottom of my pee reservoir and storing it in the base proper. This used to be acceptable.

But it sure isn’t anymore.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

On that note, does cooking food no longer kill off germs? My dupes are set to only eat fried mushrooms/gristle berries, yet they keep getting food poisoning from fried mushrooms.

I've resolved to just keep a steady supply of medicine available to cure them when they do, but it gets annoying.

edit - My new map seed has 3 useless chlorine vents. I feel like I should write a mod that allows you to specify your random seed settings, so you can make it so 0-1 chlorine vents spawn, at least 1 water geyser (in addition to the guaranteed vents), etc... I'm so sick of finding chlorine vents.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think right now that grilling kills germs, but the person handling the cooked food can put germs on it again? I put hand sanitizers on both sides of the kitchen area/food storage and it has stopped most of the food poisoning. Looking at the fridges in my CO2 cellar it mainly are Muckroots (found in the wild early on) that still have a handful of germs.

It's hard to tell when duplicates do not get a disease until the moment they are done sleeping.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 20, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I have all low level food forbidden, including raw meat and muckroot. My dupes were eating raw meat and getting sick while sitting next to pepper bread, because dupes gonna dupe.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

edit - My new map seed has 3 useless chlorine vents. I feel like I should write a mod that allows you to specify your random seed settings, so you can make it so 0-1 chlorine vents spawn, at least 1 water geyser (in addition to the guaranteed vents), etc... I'm so sick of finding chlorine vents.

You can use the seed browser (https://toolsnotincluded.net/) to choose a seed with desirable geysers. I made lists of seeds with desirable properties and chose a seed from the list. I wanted magma volcanoes so my list is probably not what anyone else wants.

The mod idea sounds similar to this. There are a lot of completely useless geysers that produce negligible quantities of material, I'm look at you hot steam vents.

Edit: Opening the browser and there was a 5 cool slush geyser seed staring me in the face, 1902054026.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
God that’s so much water, I was running out of uses with one decent one and a couple steams lol. I think the best seeds are quietly the ones with oil geysers, gold volcanos or a couple NG right outside the starting biome. Those I’m going to wait till May for the new biome patch and then hunt down good seeds.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 21, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

My last map had 3 cool steam geysers and 2 water vents. I was actually trying to figure out how to convert some of it into PW because I had so, so much water everywhere.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mazz posted:

God that’s so much water, I was running out of uses with one decent one and a couple steams lol. I think the best seeds are quietly the ones with oil geysers, gold volcanos or a couple NG right outside the starting biome. Those I’m going to wait till May for the new biome patch and then hunt down good seeds.

same

on an unrelated node, i also hope someone comes out with a mod that lets you customize your starting characters, because the part i dread the most about starting a new game is clicking reroll hundreds of times to get dupes with the stats/traits i want

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mazz posted:

Yeah always put a sink in between anything where dupes handle germy stuff.
My dupes have started just running past sinks for no reason and now they are all sick and I'm about to just flood this stupid colony with purging chlorine.

Is this a bug or something?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
it could possibly be the pathing to wherever includes the sink task getting queued up, which might just cause the next dupe to run past it even though they are closer/path first. Multiple sinks in bathrooms are used for this reason i.e. 1 sink for every toilet. If you have them in a high travel area it could be that.

One thing I learned in my hundreds of hours of this game though is the vast majority of time dupes are doing exactly what they are supposed to, even if that's demonstrably not good. They will run past poo poo or not eat/clean/poo poo/shower because you overlooked something small/dumb (pipe disconnect, empty storage, 2 tile gap, etc) , not that the game is bugging out. Always trace your steps and look for any possible mistake before going crazy and reloading like 30 cycles back.

That being said, I haven't touched QoL Mk3 though so the new germ system is all still foreign to me, could be something I haven't seen. Waiting for May patch and biomes so its like I get to play a new game. Pretty excited for that honestly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 23, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

After investigating, I'm a dipshit the answer appears to be that despite trekking through slimeland and picking up poo poo surrounded by germs, the dupes themselves are not germy and as such do not see the need to wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Germs they breathe are not germs they spread, they just get sick. Touching germy items matters only because surface contact spreads to everything else and eventually the food they handle. Good use of sinks keeps them from transferring germs to stuff that isn't already dirty. Slime can't be stored in the open air (below 2k pressure) because it offgasses its own PO2 which, if not cleaned in chlorine, will propagate the slimelung.

Or that's how it worked before.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 23, 2019