Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So I had a hankerin to start up a game of Stellaris, but from reading the past few pages it seems like there could be some pretty consequential changes coming up? Is it worth holding off or is the next update still far enough out that I should jump in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I wouldn't hold off for the megastructure changes if that's what you're referring to, it's probably a solid time to jump in given that 2.2 is playable at a decent speed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There's been a recent Major Change and we're past the major bug fixing stage, we're in the tweaking and lower priority bugs stage. It's a good time to hop in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

JerikTelorian posted:

So I had a hankerin to start up a game of Stellaris, but from reading the past few pages it seems like there could be some pretty consequential changes coming up? Is it worth holding off or is the next update still far enough out that I should jump in?

The changes that have been revealed/hinted at are at a much smaller scale than, say, the 2.2 changes or the 2.0 changes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Preston Waters posted:

I hope they don't change the tech trees at all after reading a lot of these "they should do x" posts.

The randomness in the card draw system is what sets Stellaris apart from the other grand strategy games
a) I like varied tech development, I like it a lot I want Stellaris or have a non-static tech tree system of some variety. Certain specifics of current implementation are causing problems, or at least interfering with solutions.
b) You still seem very angry. Did you see my post about the arachnoid pack?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Preston Waters posted:

I hope they don't change the tech trees at all after reading a lot of these "they should do x" posts.

The randomness in the card draw system is what sets Stellaris apart from the other grand strategy games
I picked up somewhere that you should listen closely to what your users are complaining about, and only give their proposed solution a cursory glance. (Sometimes there really is an easy and obvious fix. Usually not, though.)

What I would personally like is to see more weird poo poo and more opportunities to do weird poo poo, even if it is 'broken.' I suppose one silent factor here might be that the relatively plain-jane tech tree makes it easier for the AI to operate it.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I turtled up as a communist xenophile empire when I got the first league event and only built star forts for defense and went tall with four colonies. When I got the ecumenopolis I was quickly able to build a fleet big enough to smash my fallen empire neighbor effortlessly because of the massive alloy income and how far up the tech tree I got by being tall. It's absolutely overpowered and awesome. I went from the weakest navy in the galaxy to the strongest in no time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For all those people who are sick of having precursor worlds spawn on the border: the spawn location seems to be correlated with the last precursor anomaly you research. So to avoid it spawning somewhere inaccessible, just leave one of the anomalies in your core space to be the last one.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Save scumming the last research project can also help with finagling the Precursor system spawn

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Bogarts posted:

I turtled up as a communist xenophile empire when I got the first league event and only built star forts for defense and went tall with four colonies. When I got the ecumenopolis I was quickly able to build a fleet big enough to smash my fallen empire neighbor effortlessly because of the massive alloy income and how far up the tech tree I got by being tall. It's absolutely overpowered and awesome. I went from the weakest navy in the galaxy to the strongest in no time.

The AI doesn't do a good job snowballing at all. Properly building enough fleet and having forts will often be able to discourage them from attacking you (especially on easier difficulties it is hard for the AI to get a big enough edge to decide to attack), which lets you hide out. Against a player (or if the AI ever gets set to properly expand or identify this strategy as a threat) your tall setup won't work even with a fen hab. A player is just going to outbuild you and take it before you can benefit, or just out-expanding will let them at worst keep pace, or gang up on you to strangle you in your crib. Then the fact that you have no space to lose turns everything into a must-win for you, while they can take multiple attempts to take you out.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
credit reddit

:3:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Aethernet posted:

I wonder what the massive buffs to output the dev diary presents will do to perceptions of megastructures. If you play a tall tech-focused game you could almost certainly be putting up both a sphere and an extractor by the late 2200s, and all of a sudden be able to practically poo poo minerals and energy.

The 55 year base build time on both of those doesn't seem very sudden though. That's still over 36 years with master builders. And the 15k alloy price tag to get any energy production (15 years after beginning the sphere, 10 after paying the first 10k) wouldn't exactly be trivial for a tall tech-focused game. And the extractor is even more expensive.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Another wonderful feature of federations: other members try to contribute to its fleet. By spamming loving corvettes.

The first sign something's wrong was when it turned out that the newest member of my Federation covertly supplied me with corvettes. But the empire they sent the ships through got pissed at me, so they forbade access to my fleet. I ended up with 50 fleets, one corvette each, lost in the void. Disbanded them immediately and went to my business.

This didn't deter my ally and begin sending me corvettes through the Great Khan's dominion, next to his 12K strong fleet. Every several days the game informed me that my ships are under attack. Fortunately, the Khan investigated the disturbance, conquered my ally and made them into a satrapy.

This is not the end of my woes, unfortunately. My second federation member decided they want to help me and is sending corvettes. Now the federation fleet has 1 cruiser and 140 corvettes and there is no end in sight. Is there a way to stop them before they fill the entire universe with ships?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Oh, I know that one! The answer is don’t join federations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Gantolandon posted:

Is there a way to stop them before they fill the entire universe with ships?

They will stop at the federation fleet cap (500) so the only way I could find was to build a federation fleet out of my own ships exclusively on my own. On the other hand, this is Stellaris, so you are probably equal to the resources output of 5/6 other empires so you should be able to fill it on your own anyway. Just treat it as a personal fleet and if they send any ships while you're filling it, junk them or just ignore it and let them fill up some of the fleet capacity you can't be bothered to. Realistically by the time you've filled up half the Fed fleet you can probably delete anyone you want to so building it up further is more of a vanity project anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do we have a timeframe on the patch? There's something I want to do but not if the track tree is going to reshuffle in like a month.

Also have a good old post:

Omnicarus posted:

Blood burst from the eyes of all citizens in the United Nations of Earth. The sentry array is now gone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

If anything there need to be more actual events that deal with crime. Kickbacks give you money but increase crime through corruption. That's basic.

More buildings for the normal empires that come with crime attached, if you must keep the number.

Example: "Unethical Research"; 2 scientist jobs, 8 research in each area, crime+10, and every so often a pop disappears, or possibly it gets discovered and an event shows up; people get upset and things get problematic. THAT is a trade-off, and vaguely interesting.
Another old good post.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 21, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Feudalism still broken?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Considering broken things, some of the events happening on colonies are oddly unbalanced.

-Mole-people events: You have several stages to research, the best outcome gives you additional population. (Well, obviously not best for xenophobes. :v: )

-Dragon egg: The entire loving world explodes and you have to fight a space dragon (the event texts always mention your cities being demolished, even if the planet in question wasn't colonized, something I only know because I was lucky enough to trigger this event chain two times on planets I hadn't colonized yet)

-Alien drones: All events go automatically after you researched the project, resulting in a tiny (less than 100) pirate force attacking. Also you get a useless space elevator. Said space elevator gets torn down automatically after a while. No real options here, nor any real good or bad. This one is purely for flavor, it seems.

-Leftover xenoforming equipment: Always a laugh if you xenoform your colony into an ammonia planet and kill everyone on it. (If you're not a fan of mass death, at least you can save scum until you get a less nasty outcome)

-Portal-events: Works well, and no option ends with planet death

There are probably more I haven't gotten yet, but I think someone should take a good look at colonial event chains. The terraforming, portal and mole people events work reasonably well but the alien drones and dragon egg events are kind of in need of a rework: With the drones, you can basically not do anything but sit there and take it until everything is over, the same with the dragon egg: In the last case you'll inevitably lose your colony, so the only options for the player are 1) Resettling everyone or 2) Hoping the event triggers on an empty planet.

Also sure, the events shouldn't be completely equal in outcomes, but the range being "toy pirates" to "planet death" is a bit wide. Either the dragon egg event needs some sort of option for the player to avoid losing an entire planet, or the alien drones should get some more nasty outcomes to bring them up in line. On the other hand, the "technologically advanced pirates" being weaker than my starting fleet was hilarious

Alternatively, what is intended and what not is kind of hard to tell here. I imagine the drone pirates being too strong could gently caress over a player if it triggers on their very first colony and far too early, but on the other hand, at least two other event chains destroy the entire colony with their bad outcomes. What are the triggering rules for them? Is it just luck if your first colonies are spared and could a particularly unlucky player trigger them in succession, losing multiple planets at once? Or are there failsafes in the coding to prevent this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Libluini posted:

Considering broken things, some of the events happening on colonies are oddly unbalanced.

-Mole-people events: You have several stages to research, the best outcome gives you additional population. (Well, obviously not best for xenophobes. :v: )

-Dragon egg: The entire loving world explodes and you have to fight a space dragon (the event texts always mention your cities being demolished, even if the planet in question wasn't colonized, something I only know because I was lucky enough to trigger this event chain two times on planets I hadn't colonized yet)

-Alien drones: All events go automatically after you researched the project, resulting in a tiny (less than 100) pirate force attacking. Also you get a useless space elevator. Said space elevator gets torn down automatically after a while. No real options here, nor any real good or bad. This one is purely for flavor, it seems.

-Leftover xenoforming equipment: Always a laugh if you xenoform your colony into an ammonia planet and kill everyone on it. (If you're not a fan of mass death, at least you can save scum until you get a less nasty outcome)

-Portal-events: Works well, and no option ends with planet death

There are probably more I haven't gotten yet, but I think someone should take a good look at colonial event chains. The terraforming, portal and mole people events work reasonably well but the alien drones and dragon egg events are kind of in need of a rework: With the drones, you can basically not do anything but sit there and take it until everything is over, the same with the dragon egg: In the last case you'll inevitably lose your colony, so the only options for the player are 1) Resettling everyone or 2) Hoping the event triggers on an empty planet.

Also sure, the events shouldn't be completely equal in outcomes, but the range being "toy pirates" to "planet death" is a bit wide. Either the dragon egg event needs some sort of option for the player to avoid losing an entire planet, or the alien drones should get some more nasty outcomes to bring them up in line. On the other hand, the "technologically advanced pirates" being weaker than my starting fleet was hilarious

Alternatively, what is intended and what not is kind of hard to tell here. I imagine the drone pirates being too strong could gently caress over a player if it triggers on their very first colony and far too early, but on the other hand, at least two other event chains destroy the entire colony with their bad outcomes. What are the triggering rules for them? Is it just luck if your first colonies are spared and could a particularly unlucky player trigger them in succession, losing multiple planets at once? Or are there failsafes in the coding to prevent this?

The voidspawn egg is not a colony event. It can’t happen just anywhere. It is always a very specific planet in a specific star system.

Eventually you begin to recognize it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

The voidspawn egg is not a colony event. It can’t happen just anywhere. It is always a very specific planet in a specific star system.

Also, it happens pretty quickly after you survey the system -- I've never been close to getting a colony ship scheduled for it before hatching.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Trying to get a feel for how much i should be expanding and how quickly. Is the typical practice to expand quickly and colonize pretty much every world including 20% habitability ones? About how many systems is a good number to have around 2250?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

And it's only a 60% chance of actually hatching the egg, the rest of the time it just has egg-quakes which stop when you finish clearing all the egg blockers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

And it's only a 60% chance of actually hatching the egg, the rest of the time it just has egg-quakes which stop when you finish clearing all the egg blockers.

Hah, I never got even close to colonizing Planet Egg, so clearing blockers is probably not something I would get done in time. :v:

prefect posted:

Also, it happens pretty quickly after you survey the system -- I've never been close to getting a colony ship scheduled for it before hatching.

Thanks, that's actually a relief, after my second Egg-Event I've lived in perpetual fear of one of my colonies suddenly exploding.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Another wonderful feature of federations: other members try to contribute to its fleet. By spamming loving corvettes.

The first sign something's wrong was when it turned out that the newest member of my Federation covertly supplied me with corvettes. But the empire they sent the ships through got pissed at me, so they forbade access to my fleet. I ended up with 50 fleets, one corvette each, lost in the void. Disbanded them immediately and went to my business.

This didn't deter my ally and begin sending me corvettes through the Great Khan's dominion, next to his 12K strong fleet. Every several days the game informed me that my ships are under attack. Fortunately, the Khan investigated the disturbance, conquered my ally and made them into a satrapy.

This is not the end of my woes, unfortunately. My second federation member decided they want to help me and is sending corvettes. Now the federation fleet has 1 cruiser and 140 corvettes and there is no end in sight. Is there a way to stop them before they fill the entire universe with ships?

The entire time I've owned this game, patch 2.0 onwards, federations have been irredeemable garbage. It's so disappointing because I WANT to lead one. But they suck.

Don't join one.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Well, the star trek mod makes them pretty decent. So you could try that if you're interested.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

walruscat posted:

Trying to get a feel for how much i should be expanding and how quickly. Is the typical practice to expand quickly and colonize pretty much every world including 20% habitability ones? About how many systems is a good number to have around 2250?
Early game colonise everything 60% or higher ASAP and get them to 10 pop even faster. Unless you're heavily in the red on consumer goods or minerals you want to slam down colonies as soon as they enter your territory. When you want to start looking at 50% and 20% planets is extremely dependent on build, galaxy size, number of available 60% planets etc.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pmchem posted:

The entire time I've owned this game, patch 2.0 onwards, federations have been irredeemable garbage. It's so disappointing because I WANT to lead one. But they suck.

Don't join one.

I've been playing on and off since Utopia and I can confidently say federations have always been poo poo no matter the patch

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Splicer posted:

Early game colonise everything 60% or higher ASAP and get them to 10 pop even faster. Unless you're heavily in the red on consumer goods or minerals you want to slam down colonies as soon as they enter your territory. When you want to start looking at 50% and 20% planets is extremely dependent on build, galaxy size, number of available 60% planets etc.

The general rule for low hab stuff is having a large enough economy to produce a surplus of consumer goods without needing to lower your production of other stuff. It basically means midgame or later you should colonize everything, all the time, whereas your first few colonies need more thought. It also means robots(200% hab everywhere, no consumer goods) and hive minds(no consumer goods) should colonize absolutely everything as soon as possible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jesus christ what is the trick to getting Droid tech to spawn at a reasonable time. It's 2330 and I still don't have more than the basic robots. I'm researching poo poo like living metal and jump drives and have battleships/citadels and L5 weapons...but still basic robots.

This is the third game in a row where I"ve wanted to go synthetic and ended up doing one of the other paths because I was sitting on 2-3 perks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ha ha, looks like I feared overwhelming enemy power for no reason: Current run has me fighting fanatical purifiers who have "overwhelming" fleet strength, but the AI insists on sending in its fleets piece meal, allowing me to take them apart, repair and and then rinse, repeat.

Looks from now on I can upgrade my favorite difficulty level from Commodore to Admiral (this is my first game on Admiral) :v:

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

[quote="Cynic Jester" post="494438036"]
The general rule for low hab stuff is having a large enough economy to produce a surplus of consumer goods without needing to lower your production of other stuff. It basically means midgame or later you should colonize everything, all the time, whereas your first few colonies need more thought. It also means robots(200% hab everywhere, no consumer goods) and hive minds(no consumer goods) should colonize absolutely everything as soon as possible.

Cynic Jester posted:

Thank you both. Very helpful stuff.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

For a solid tech reference leverage https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/vanilla/#top

Droids tech requires robots like you'd think but also Colonial Centralization (t2 green tech that gives the main building upgrade), and has these weights:

Base: 70

Robotic Workers Outlawed: 0.0x
Spiritualist: 0.5x

Materialist: 2.0x
Civic[Mechanist]: 2.0x
Scientist is level 2+ and Industry (factory icon) expert: 1.25x

For a reference, the +hull destroyer tech is t2 with 70 base and a 1.25x weight for research leader and having finished supremacy tree.

What is probably happening is that you take a while to research the pre-req green tech (because you're not needing to upgrade your main building yet). Most of the industry stuff is better weighted at tier 2 (assuming no materialist/mechanist), but the tier 3 stuff should be lower weighted. I'd hazard a guess that if you're grabbing battleships and stuff (t4 techs) that you actually rotated through a lot of tech options while you didn't have the green pre-req done, and now that you've qualified you've pushed through t3 techs and are taking long research times on t4 techs resulting in not very many rolls that could give you droid tech at all.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

When are you supposed to start fighting leviathans? I tend to wait until I've got like 100k fleet power and it's always over real fast (on Ensign, anyway).

Nosfereefer posted:

Feudalism still broken?

I gave some feudal vassals a couple systems in my backyard when I didn't feel like manually expanding anymore. It took them a while to get started, and lots of gifts of resources, but they eventually filled the whole area and colonized a few planets and kept a raider faction hemmed in for the entire game. The raiders tried to extort me, but their raiding fleet never even left their system. I forgot all about it until I was mopping them up and got a pop up for killing it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

Elaborating on this, colonize your guaranteed habitability planets ASAP, and use leapfrogging to secure important hyperlane chokepoints before backfiling, unless your intention is to rush the nearest neighbor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BlondRobin posted:

They will stop at the federation fleet cap (500) so the only way I could find was to build a federation fleet out of my own ships exclusively on my own. On the other hand, this is Stellaris, so you are probably equal to the resources output of 5/6 other empires so you should be able to fill it on your own anyway. Just treat it as a personal fleet and if they send any ships while you're filling it, junk them or just ignore it and let them fill up some of the fleet capacity you can't be bothered to. Realistically by the time you've filled up half the Fed fleet you can probably delete anyone you want to so building it up further is more of a vanity project anyway.

Is there a mod out there that takes any steps to unfuck fed fleet composition planning? A mod that only lets members press the "reinforce" button, building only ships called for in the fleet planner?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Considering diving back in to this. Haven't played since Megacorp first came out; any major changes since then?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

aegof posted:

When are you supposed to start fighting leviathans? I tend to wait until I've got like 100k fleet power and it's always over real fast (on Ensign, anyway).

I gave some feudal vassals a couple systems in my backyard when I didn't feel like manually expanding anymore. It took them a while to get started, and lots of gifts of resources, but they eventually filled the whole area and colonized a few planets and kept a raider faction hemmed in for the entire game. The raiders tried to extort me, but their raiding fleet never even left their system. I forgot all about it until I was mopping them up and got a pop up for killing it.

I've been going around beating up leviathans in my current game with around 50-60k fleet power and coming out pretty okay. I took down the enigmatic fortress first using between 40k and 50k fleet power but my fleets were super beat up.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

Ha ha, looks like I feared overwhelming enemy power for no reason: Current run has me fighting fanatical purifiers who have "overwhelming" fleet strength, but the AI insists on sending in its fleets piece meal, allowing me to take them apart, repair and and then rinse, repeat.

Looks from now on I can upgrade my favorite difficulty level from Commodore to Admiral (this is my first game on Admiral) :v:

I put off Ironman for a kong time (probably because of some X-Com 2 trauma). But once I began I realized how utterly poo poo the AI is even at Admiral. I regularly stop playing at some point because it becomes more tedium than challenge. Ironman is worse than savescumming as even the most stupid mistakes/misclicks and redwine befuddled decisions can't stop your blundering victory rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Einbauschrank posted:

I put off Ironman for a kong time (probably because of some X-Com 2 trauma). But once I began I realized how utterly poo poo the AI is even at Admiral. I regularly stop playing at some point because it becomes more tedium than challenge. Ironman is worse than savescumming as even the most stupid mistakes/misclicks and redwine befuddled decisions can't stop your blundering victory rampage.

To be fair, as soon as I had posted, the enemy send in two more fleets, each more powerful than all my fleets combined. It's just that I had prepared one chokepoint in a pulsar system with special armor-only defense platforms, so one of the fleets got messed up.

The other one was something of a problem, but it looks like I can still hold on by my teeth until white peace triggers, then fortify my borders and upgrade my fleets properly for the re-fight.

So, not as easy as I assumed and still a challenge. (All told, I think Admiral is about the highest I can go to still have fun.)