Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Burning Rain posted:

there's a TBB channel on the SA discord though, isn't there?

There's a book treehouse in the SA D&D discord yeah. It's got a different population though since it's coming from the politics forums. We might merge at some point. Right now just trying out options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Burning Rain posted:

there's a TBB channel on the SA discord though, isn't there?

"the SA discord" which one, am on like 5 now

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Bilirubin posted:

"the SA discord" which one, am on like 5 now

why though?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the desperate need for attention which empty-calorie online discourse can never truly satisfy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A game related discord, CSPAM/what Hieronymous said, something for giving Lowtax cash, another one for lefty raging, and book nerds discord for folks to not post about books in another place

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the desperate need for attention which empty-calorie online discourse can never truly satisfy

what are the links for these plsae

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Krankenstyle posted:

what are the links for these plsae

link good for a day: https://discord.gg/eXTbjS

Anyway, cool book thing:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...s-son-1.5093897

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had initially given up on Great Expectations a few months ago, because I found it overwhelmingly dull, but gave it another go and actually enjoyed it, probably because I approached it differently - I initially accused it of being very dry, but then read the foreword which mentioned that Dickens actually wrote the book as a straight up comedy, thinking of certain characters as comic relief, and with that perspective it helped me notice when something was deliberately being satirical or ludicrous that I initially just missed because most of what I knew of dickens were movies that can get fairly dry. Amusingly though dickens was quoted as being all "It's no where near as dry as Tale of Two Cities, this book is actually funny!" so I may not bother with that one if even Dickens himself admitted it was dry.

On reflection I've also realised that children's book Krindlekrax follows the same narrative arc as Paranorman: Child has abilities or aspirations, isn't taken seriously, learns about some garbage that adults did years ago, initially furious enough to give up on them after calling them out on how lovely they were, eventually realises they aren't so bad and finally effectively stands up to those who are and fixes the problem that they caused years before.

I may do a Krindlekrax reading after Upon a Dream concludes, because the main character of that book just owns.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh Dickens' sense of humour was the only thing that made Great Expectations and David Copperfield readable to me. But they are still too goddamn long.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/shakespeares-london-home-found-researcher-says/11001874?pfm=ms

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thx

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

are ursula k. le guin's earthsea books that came out decades after the original trilogy good?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

_jink posted:

are ursula k. le guin's earthsea books that came out decades after the original trilogy good?

Tehanu is the best book in the series, so yes, but beware that the later books are more mature, and unlike the previous books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

_jink posted:

Very good but very very different.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Apparently lots of people pay attention to that non comic book writing Ellis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...m=.fc6a2705b8f9

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bilirubin posted:

Apparently lots of people pay attention to that non comic book writing Ellis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...m=.fc6a2705b8f9

jesus christ

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jesus christ

"Why aren't these millennial writers as famous as these genX writers became after they published their big novels" is a take so hot I want my generation to just go away

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I stand by Krang T Nelson's declaration that Gen Xers are stealth boomers

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
mel post your twitter

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

mel post your twitter

if you have not yet found it you have exposed your utter lack of imagination

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gene Wolfe has died

We don't yet know his last words, but we can be assured they were overlong and could have used an editor

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

killer crane posted:

Tehanu is the best book in the series, so yes, but beware that the later books are more mature, and unlike the previous books.

Very good but very very different.

neat, glad to hear that! thank ya both

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gene Wolfe has died

We don't yet know his last words, but we can be assured they were overlong and could have used an editor

once you pop you can't stop

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gene Wolfe has died

That's an assholish way to respond to someone dying

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's an assholish way to respond to someone dying

I don't think he will find out about it

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Currently listening to the bible on audiobook. What thread can I discuss my many questions?

Like the part where Moses makes Genghis Khan look like an underachiever. I mean Genghis Khan Didn't have god raining fire on his enemies as he claimed their virgins and then killed the rest.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this is a good place to discuss it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You could also, like, make a bible thread. We have the technology.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

You could also, like, make a bible thread. We have the technology.

That's heavy. I'll have to work on a draft and see how it goes before I commit to making an OP.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ulvir posted:

this is a good place to discuss it

just assuming that is a link to FYAD

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'm not quite sure whether this should go here or in DIY, but does anyone have recommendations for archival tape to attach labels? I'm trying to move away from "big piles of dead tree everywhere" and toward library-style catalogging and indexing, but I've got a bunch of stuff that's severely out of print and not very durable that I'd like not to destroy with Scotch and Avery.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mandoric posted:

I'm not quite sure whether this should go here or in DIY, but does anyone have recommendations for archival tape to attach labels? I'm trying to move away from "big piles of dead tree everywhere" and toward library-style catalogging and indexing, but I've got a bunch of stuff that's severely out of print and not very durable that I'd like not to destroy with Scotch and Avery.

Pro archivist here. My first recommendation would be if you really want to preserve this stuff, don't use tape at all. Write the cataloging details on a slip of acid-free paper and tuck it into the book so it sticks up with the information visible.

If you must use tape, look for an acid-free tape like Filmoplast, or document repair tape. Check Hollinger or Gaylord Archival.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Selachian posted:

Pro archivist here. My first recommendation would be if you really want to preserve this stuff, don't use tape at all. Write the cataloging details on a slip of acid-free paper and tuck it into the book so it sticks up with the information visible.

If you must use tape, look for an acid-free tape like Filmoplast, or document repair tape. Check Hollinger or Gaylord Archival.

Also sprinkle your library with random bear facts

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Selachian posted:

Oh, that's a great idea! A lot of it is thin enough that being able to flag the insert out will help, too. Thanks!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm in the mood for some epic fantasy tale, and thought about giving Otherland by Tad Williams a try. I kept seeing recommendations, but never really felt like reading another fantasy epic. So I check the first book on Audible, and it's something like 24+ hours. Lolwhat? Not sure what to expect, is it worth listening/reading?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mike12345 posted:

I'm in the mood for some epic fantasy tale, and thought about giving Otherland by Tad Williams a try. I kept seeing recommendations, but never really felt like reading another fantasy epic. So I check the first book on Audible, and it's something like 24+ hours. Lolwhat? Not sure what to expect, is it worth listening/reading?

That's pretty typical for epic fantasy. I'm sure books from, say, the Stormlight Archives series are even longer.

I wasn't a fan of Otherland but for some reason I've always bounced off of Tad Williams' work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Yeah, Williams's work tends to be pretty bulky.

Note that Otherland isn't really fantasy -- the plot centers around a virtual reality world (why yes, it was written in the late 90s) where people are disappearing/getting lost.

I'm not a huge fan of Williams either. He's a competent enough craftsman and can keep a story moving decently from A to B but he's never going to wow you. Still, there's definitely worse out there.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Selachian posted:

the plot centers around a virtual reality world (why yes, it was written in the late 90s) where people are disappearing/getting lost.

So ripping off Kid Chameleon basically.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I wasn't a fan of Otherland but for some reason I've always bounced off of Tad Williams' work.

Like the first Otherland book is great. And it's slowly downhill from there for the next 4k or whatever pages until the end is just dumb bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ah, just heard of a book. time to look at how long the audiobook of it is for some reason, that's a good way to evaluate it.