Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
How do you know when its time to quit? I've been at my bjj gym about a year, mostly no gi, started gi two months ago. I'm the only female in the gi classes, and despite being 5'9 and 165lb, the other white belts run away from me like I've got the plague. I'll directly ask to roll and half the time they say "Sorry, no." The gym has womens classes, but the girls tend to top out around 120lb and are easy enough to muscle that I feel like my technique isn't getting better. Plus they're no gi only, and I'm finding I like gi much better.

Obviously the dudes are kind of being dicks. But maybe I need to suck it up because its a male dominated sport? Feel free to tell me if I'm being a big whiny baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ElHuevoGrande posted:

How do you know when its time to quit? I've been at my bjj gym about a year, mostly no gi, started gi two months ago. I'm the only female in the gi classes, and despite being 5'9 and 165lb, the other white belts run away from me like I've got the plague. I'll directly ask to roll and half the time they say "Sorry, no." The gym has womens classes, but the girls tend to top out around 120lb and are easy enough to muscle that I feel like my technique isn't getting better. Plus they're no gi only, and I'm finding I like gi much better.

Obviously the dudes are kind of being dicks. But maybe I need to suck it up because its a male dominated sport? Feel free to tell me if I'm being a big whiny baby.

find a gym with fewer weird cowards

e: is this exclusively with other white belts?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
You might want to ask in the bjj thread for more opinions, but at my gym (relatively small) I can't imagine anyone treating a women like that. We all roll with each other big, small, male, female, teenagers / adults, whatever.

My wife rolls with dudes all the time. I mean, people can politely not roll or whatever but unless you are doing something crazy that makes guys not want to roll with you is sounds like your gym is lovely.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Wangsbig posted:

find a gym with fewer weird cowards

e: is this exclusively with other white belts?

Yeah. When purple and blue belts show up, they're chill and friendly and I usually learn a lot from them. The white belts are very Mean Girls. poo poo if this isn't the norm in other places, maybe it really is time to start checking out other gyms.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Yeah. When purple and blue belts show up, they're chill and friendly and I usually learn a lot from them. The white belts are very Mean Girls. poo poo if this isn't the norm in other places, maybe it really is time to start checking out other gyms.

How long have you stuck with this? Did you talk to the instructors about it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ElHuevoGrande posted:

I've never been to a grappling gym where people were weird about rolling with women, so at least in my experience that sounds really unusual. Seconding that this is something you should discuss with your instructor, because it sounds like an issue with the gym culture.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

kimbo305 posted:

How long have you stuck with this? Did you talk to the instructors about it?

It's been a few months. Didn't talk to the instructors because I've been stuck in a "perhaps its me" phase. But when I asked a guy tonight what the process is to get stripes and he looks at me and says don't hold your breath, that was the last straw. It's also a little eye opening to hear that it's not like this at other gyms. I love BJJ so much if I could just get a regular training partner it would be perfect. I'm going to do a trial period somewhere else this weekend and see what its like to train without a bunch of jerks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's super weird and you should absolutely bring it up with the instructor. Even if it turns out you are somehow the problem, at least you'll know how you're loving up.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Lol at other white belts talking to you that way. Sounds like a lovely gym culture

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Our gym has a lot of girls, compared to when I was in the US. We've had no issues with people asking them to roll with them, nor them asking guys to roll with them. It's a bit awkward for me since I'm a foreigner and its 100% Koreans in our gym but they just more so are in a bit of shock/confusion when I point to one and ask them to roll in Korean (I guess they think I don't know any of the language). It sounds like your gym has a really lovely culture and you're probably better off finding a new place or trying to make sure you only spar when the purple/blue belts are around as they seem to be more rational minded about it other than the idiotic white belts you wrote about.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

But when I asked a guy tonight what the process is to get stripes and he looks at me and says don't hold your breath

This is hilarious to me because it's basically him being pissy for no reason.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 5, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do you have any idea why no one wants to roll with you? Are you hurting people? Do you smell? Are you a spaz? Those are probably the most common ones.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you have any idea why no one wants to roll with you? Are you hurting people? Do you smell? Are you a spaz? Those are probably the most common ones.

There are world-renowned boy black belts who refuse to train with women.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I was to a seminar and a girl I've never met candidly told me she liked the seminar crowd because the guys looked a lot more chill at the event.

When I asked her in comparison to whom, she told me that her gym has a lot of woman haters and would purposefully try and injure them and was kinda stuck there as her husband is part owner of the club. I felt osrry for her but didn't really know how she could keep training under those circumstances.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
When I traveled all the time one heuristic I used was trying to see how many women trained at that gym.

Usually if there was a consistent female presence the gym had a good culture.

I feel validated.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

If you're in the NYC area, you can drop by and visit the gym at which I train, Renzo Gracie Academy and meet the women here. We have a pretty big contingent of women.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Pedro Sauers academy in Herndon, VA also has lots of women, including one of the black belt instructors. It’s very close to DC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

When I traveled all the time one heuristic I used was trying to see how many women trained at that gym.

Usually if there was a consistent female presence the gym had a good culture.

I feel validated.

Yeah we do everything we can to make women comfortable at our club for this reason. Right now we only have maybe 4 regular-ish women in BJJ but most of our muay thai turnouts are 50-50, and our kids class has a lot of girls in it. The kids' wrestling class might be over half girls...

So yeah grapplegoon, that sounds really weird and dumb. If the blue/purple belts aren't so lovely about it maybe it's just that there are some goobers at the bottom of the ladder. My advice is you choke the goobers the gently caress out!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think there is minimal, if any, misogynist feelings at our club. I would say our blackbelts are about 40% female and many are ferocious. The female body type lends itself really well to TKD and their kicks in particular can be amazing.

First time I sparred a 2nd dan female when I was a green stripe and ended up with a black eye and a bloody nose for my trouble.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

slidebite posted:

First time I sparred a 2nd dan female when I was a green stripe and ended up with a black eye and a bloody nose for my trouble.

Can you parse this for me? Is it common in, what I assume is TKD, for a black belt to do that to a lower belt?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah... What?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL, no, they don't try to beat up junior belts on purpose. More a newbie mistake on my side of coming in closer when I shouldn't have and thinking I could take advantage of a bit of timing. I was wrong and got the foot in my face for trying. She felt terrible.

But the advanced women in our club are all excellent and super friendly. Their kicks are just so high and effortless, every male over 30 just :sigh: when we watch them because our bodies just can't do what they are able to do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, had work meetings out of town all this week so I'm just exhausted. But our club is hosting our big bi-annual invitational tournament this weekend so working with about 30 of us were busting our asses setting it up last night from about 7 to 10pm. Expecting something like 400 competitors from 8 or 9 clubs and another several hundred spectators.

I'm going to be working a table doing time or penalty logs, so it will be fun with manpower management as I'm competing as well.

Here's to hoping it goes smoothly. T-minus 1 hour 25 minutes right now.

drat, I'm going to be worn out come Sunday night and need another weekend.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 14, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Came in 3rd in my division in point sparring. Didn't expect to do well seeing who was in my division, so I'm OK with that. Didn't compete in continuous.

I was an inch from moving up - sparring the guy that won 1st. He trains with me and I always lose to him. He's a red belt, 2 more years experience than me, younger than me, 3-4" taller than me, very fast with great reach with both kicks and punches. However, I landed the first 3 points and had a decent lead the entire match. About 10 secs left, he got a couple of questionable points (it happens, I thought I solidly blocked them), but I was still ahead by 1 as the clock was at 2-3 seconds.

If I was thinking I would have just backed away for the couple secs and kept out of his reach but I ain't so smart and got closer and he got a kick off, 2 points as the timer hit. It was a great match though.

Team blackbelt point sparring in particular was some of the most exciting sparring I've ever seen anywhere. The should televise that stuff. 3 participants per team, super fast and free flowing tag in/out when there was a break in play for point votes.

Our team in particular was anchored by a 6 Dan master (late 40s) who runs one of our satellite dojangs followed up by 2 early 20s 3rd Dans that were both phenomenal (came in 1st/2nd in individuals). I am kicking myself for not videoing it but the master in particular was awesome to watch. Dude was technical as gently caress but oh, so god drat fast.

Also, those mats that made up the rings were awesome. I wish we used those everyday.

Highlight was meeting Grand Master CK Choi. Super nice, mellow, genuinely friendly guy. I was walking back to the ring I was running and had to go by the head table, bowed towards him, he bowed back and put his hands out to shake mine but he didn't notice I had a muffin and coffee in my hands so he let out a big laugh.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I feel like such a pussy. I played Sonic Blast Heroes and only got one bar below average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7m-LVCGqwM
*Not me in video.

What can I do to strengthen my punches? I've been lifting weights and this is all I can manage?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In my experience, one of the biggest things when trying to do a powerful punch is the habit pulling it a bit, even unintentionally. Make sure you are going THROUGH the target if that makes sense. If you're just trying to hit the target front and center, and not the back of the target, that's probably a big part of it there. That and speed. You can be very strong but velocity of your fist/arm makes a big different in kinetic energy.

Also, officially a blue belt now :cool: More than halfway to black, but it keeps getting tougher and tougher. Instructors definitely getting more fussy on technique. We were drilling weds night and we were doing reverse hook kicks, and I could finally pull them off with some speed and technique and not lose balance. That's been a tough kick for me so I feel pretty good about that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What can I do to strengthen my punches? I've been lifting weights and this is all I can manage?

Have you been practicing punching? Technique matters a lot. For something light (that will move easily when you hit it) like that arcade game, speed is what matters.
Muscle strength is not as closely correlated to strike speed as you think.
Besides, don't care what the game says, care what your instructors and training partners say.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
What do you bench press?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A better question would be how much he cleans. (As in clean & jerk)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I thought you usually jerk then clean

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

willie_dee posted:

What do you bench press?

5 reps of 160lbs.

kimbo305 posted:

Have you been practicing punching? Technique matters a lot. For something light (that will move easily when you hit it) like that arcade game, speed is what matters.
Muscle strength is not as closely correlated to strike speed as you think.
Besides, don't care what the game says, care what your instructors and training partners say.

So that game doesn't measure punching power but rather speed?

slidebite posted:

In my experience, one of the biggest things when trying to do a powerful punch is the habit pulling it a bit, even unintentionally. Make sure you are going THROUGH the target if that makes sense. If you're just trying to hit the target front and center, and not the back of the target, that's probably a big part of it there. That and speed. You can be very strong but velocity of your fist/arm makes a big different in kinetic energy.

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So that game doesn't measure punching power but rather speed?

Speed is power. Force is mass * acceleration. The faster your fist is flying when it hits the bag, the larger the acceleration and the more force is measured.

It's why once you start getting good at the heavy bag your punches start to pop rather than thud

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I found this thread.

So maybe I'm just being an overworried moron?

I heard a quote from Mike Tyson that great punches are born and not made, and that someone who weighs 160 can annihilate you but someone who weighs 260 can't hurt you. It made me nervous that I might have bad punching genes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I too measure my martial prowess by an arbitrary arcade machine. How I fair against other humans is irrelevant.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
1st: A lot of knockout shots aren't the hardest someone can throw. Timing, precision, strategy are big deals. One obvious example is watch Silva v Griffin. He knocks the guy out with a backpedaling jab, it's practically a stiff arm but timing and accuracy make it a knockout punch.

2nd: some people are naturally better strikers and a very few just "get it" and have weird innate power. But for 99.99% of the people you'll ever see or meet practice is the biggest differentiator.

3rd: hitting a fixed object is different from hitting a person. I'm almost an untrained striker and I can lay into a heavy bag for a minute. No one who knows what's up cares because it's so different trying to hit a person, especially across multiple rounds.

So to summarize: those arcade punch things are fun but are not a benchmark for anything.

Special 4th point: just pull guard

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I found this thread.

I heard a quote from Mike Tyson that great punches are born and not made, and that someone who weighs 160 can annihilate you but someone who weighs 260 can't hurt you. It made me nervous that I might have bad punching genes.

Someone who's 260 and not 25% fat with some years of training will probably hit harder than a really fit "natural puncher" who weighs 160.
I encourage you to stop thinking about this in the abstract and start training.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I found this thread.

Train more, read less.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sorry guys. I have confidence issues. :(

I'll pretend that I never played the game and continue training.

Xguard86 posted:

1st: A lot of knockout shots aren't the hardest someone can throw. Timing, precision, strategy are big deals. One obvious example is watch Silva v Griffin. He knocks the guy out with a backpedaling jab, it's practically a stiff arm but timing and accuracy make it a knockout punch.

2nd: some people are naturally better strikers and a very few just "get it" and have weird innate power. But for 99.99% of the people you'll ever see or meet practice is the biggest differentiator.

3rd: hitting a fixed object is different from hitting a person. I'm almost an untrained striker and I can lay into a heavy bag for a minute. No one who knows what's up cares because it's so different trying to hit a person, especially across multiple rounds.

So to summarize: those arcade punch things are fun but are not a benchmark for anything.

Special 4th point: just pull guard

Thanks.

kimbo305 posted:

Someone who's 260 and not 25% fat with some years of training will probably hit harder than a really fit "natural puncher" who weighs 160.
I encourage you to stop thinking about this in the abstract and start training.

I am training though.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 21, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry guys. I have confidence issues. :(

I am training though.

Ask any question you have about the training. Have you asked your coaches how your power is coming?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Ask any question you have about the training. Have you asked your coaches how your power is coming?

My coaches stated that I was getting better. He noted that the biggest improvement was with my confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do you have free mat time to work on the heavy bag? Do a couple of 1-min rounds where you just do hard 1-2s with some time between combos to reset your stance. If you're tipping over or step to recover your balance, take more time between combos.