Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’d say Elephant Man and Straight Story are his most accessible by a wide margin.

Straight Story in particular is insanely underrated- it’s like Lynch channelling John Ford.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

I’d say Elephant Man and Straight Story are his most accessible by a wide margin.

Straight Story in particular is insanely underrated- it’s like Lynch channelling John Ford.
Well yeah but I mean accessible in that Mulholland/Blue Velvet are a good gateway into Lynch as a whole. Straight Story and Elephant Man aren't, really. They're good, and I enjoyed them when I was making my way through his entire filmography a couple years ago, but I wouldn't say they do a great job of introducing you to his overall style like Mulholland/Blue Velvet do.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Raxivace posted:

They're the most accessible, but possibly the least "Lynch". They have fairly straightforward plots that most people could enjoy, and they are both very fantastic films. But watching either of them will not help someone understand Inland Empire, Eraserhead, Lost Highway, etc. I would say Mulholland Drive is the best introduction. It's got a plot that is obscure, but relatively easy to get into, and once you feel comfortable with it you've got a better position to understand his other films.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mulholland Drive is the perfect followup to a Twin Peaks fan looking for more Lynch. It was a unaired network TV show that was turned into a hard R film, with most of the new material added to latter half of the film, so you have the emotional and tonal arc of Twin Peaks in a microcosm.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Section 9 posted:

They're the most accessible, but possibly the least "Lynch".
Even then I'd say they still have more in common with the rest of his work than like Dune does.

I guess its kind of a moot point though because I think people should just watch all of his stuff anyways, Dune included.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mantis42 posted:

Mulholland Drive is the perfect followup to a Twin Peaks fan looking for more Lynch. It was a unaired network TV show that was turned into a hard R film, with most of the new material added to latter half of the film, and so you have the emotional and tonal arc of Twin Peaks in a microcosm.

I agree with this. Also for Twin Peaks fans "On the Air" is good. You're pretty much stuck with old VHS transfers on Youtube, but it's Lynch and Frost and much of the cast of Twin Peaks. But it's comedy in the style that Lynch thinks is funny.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Raxivace posted:

Even then I'd say they still have more in common with the rest of his work than like Dune does.

I guess its kind of a moot point though because I think people should just watch all of his stuff anyways, Dune included.

Yeah. Dune is a weird outlier. If I remember correctly there was a time where Lynch was maybe going to be on board for Empire Strikes Back. Dune was Lynch being brought in to film someone else's story, and it was questionable. He put his mark on it, but it wasn't his creation. I feel the same with Wild at Heart, it was someone else's story that he filmed, but I think he did a better job with that.

(Edit) He at least made the navigators in Dune crazy weird. The books described them as very spindly humans, he made them worm monsters. I like his version.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 20, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Section 9 posted:

I agree with this. Also for Twin Peaks fans "On the Air" is good. You're pretty much stuck with old VHS transfers on Youtube, but it's Lynch and Frost and much of the cast of Twin Peaks. But it's comedy in the style that Lynch thinks is funny.

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about On the Air. That is genuinely the most bizarre thing Lynch has made.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about On the Air. That is genuinely the most bizarre thing Lynch has made.

Right!? I only saw it for the first time like 6 years ago. It really helped me to see what bits in Twin Peaks were Lynch making jokes. It is a very surreal comedy series, and while I totally understand why it failed as a TV series, I love it.

(Edit) a playlist for anyone who hasn't seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLFXf6fKQkjheiSpn_pjKVVVPEFO144JL

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I completely forgot that On the Air exists. Seems like as good a time as any to watch it.

This whole conversation reminds me though that one of the things that I found most interesting about The Return was how it has a real accumulative quality in regards to the types of films Lynch made over his career. Like yeah you have Lynch the puzzlebox neonoir "what even is my identity also where the gently caress am I" storyteller in there and Lynch the surrealist, but also the Lynch interested in small town America and Lynch the comedian, and Lynch the social critic and even Lynch the concert filmmaker takes up a significant part of the runtime. It's like a final exam or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If I had the power to visit parallel universes, one of the first things I’d do is see the Lynch directed Return of the Jedi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know the timeline really doesn't work (by like a decade!), but nothing makes me laugh more than the idea of freaked out investors looking at Jodorowsky's plans for Dune and saying,"We need a more straightforward, traditionalist film director to helm this project... like David Lynch!"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Section 9 posted:

Right!? I only saw it for the first time like 6 years ago. It really helped me to see what bits in Twin Peaks were Lynch making jokes. It is a very surreal comedy series, and while I totally understand why it failed as a TV series, I love it.

(Edit) a playlist for anyone who hasn't seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLFXf6fKQkjheiSpn_pjKVVVPEFO144JL

Wow the Director's accent sounds like the one I do (with some other effects) to sound like I'm from the Black Lodge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the Air isn’t that good but it has one of my favourite jokes ever about the guy who can see like 3000x better than others and they show it from his POV and it’s just a bunch of extra random poo poo floating around the screen

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How much of Lynch’s filmography is on the criterion channel app now?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Kilometers Davis posted:

How much of Lynch’s filmography is on the criterion channel app now?

Not a whole lot. Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man, Eraserhead, FWWM. The Eraserhead version on the channel also comes with several of his short films that he made before it. No Blue Velvet, Straight Story, Wild At Heart, Dune or Lost Highway. The editions of Eraserhead, Mullholland Drive and FWWM that are on there are good though. FWWM has The Missing Pieces.

Edit: The Elephant Man is the only film of his on there that has no extras.

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 20, 2019

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Finally finished reading A Secret History. I enjoyed it, even if it didn't really add any major revelations. Would have been more interesting before Season 3 I'm sure. Is it worth proceeding to The Final Dossier?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Final Dossier can be read in one or two sittings and provides some minor insights into S3 so it's hardly a waste of time or anything but you wouldn't really be missing out on much by skipping it either. Personally I liked The Secret History more

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Secret History is a good book, Final Dossier is more or less just “we’ll give you a little more closure on some stuff”.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

New theory: Andy and Lucy are just high functioning vessels (like Dougie). But who is the dreamer?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Jerry Horne is high enough to dream up most of this, so he gets my vote.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Does the final dossier talk about what happens to Jerry? Iirc the last scene is him freaking out in the woods.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His last scene is freaking out at Mr. C and Richard at the big rock, but Ben later gets a call from the police that they picked him up. In Wyoming. Stark naked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every so often I think of Jerry calling up Ben and wailing,"I THINK I'M HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHH!!!!!" and just smile :)

Edit: God bless you, Internet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvfSBxjOLeU

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 26, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I haven't watched since the episodes came out and every time I see a clip like this one or remember some other small moment or line I still can't believe that s3 actually happened and that it was so good

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/david-lynch-masterclass-review-does-it-work.html

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That's a sweet read. The description of Lynch as "Mr Rogers of the avant-garde" is way too accurate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

eSporks posted:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/03/29/surrealist-objects-in-twin-peaks/

I really liked this article and the comparisons it makes to other surrealist metaphor. At the end of the day the correct way to experience Lynch is to feel it and allow the meaning to be vague.

That article referenced this one, which is a great writeup on indian haunting imagery (and stereotypical manifestations of it) in Peaks S1 and 2: http://sensesofcinema.com/2016/twin-peaks/twin-peaks-indigeneity-territoriality/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Jerry Horne is high enough to dream up most of this, so he gets my vote.

Here's a q, did Cooper dream the resolution of BOB being beat to death by the glove kid since his face was superimposed on the scene, like it was all from his mind?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone follow the Met Gala tonight?

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1125576851647164416

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

:perfect:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Finally watched S3 of Twin Peaks the other week in a blitz over the course of four or five days and was so enthralled by it that I'd rank it as possibly the best work of Lynch's career. Jesus, what a staggering achievement. Making my way back through the original run and FWWM now.

Anyway, since the question comes up every so often, some recommendations for other art that feels "Lynch"-ian that I haven't yet seen mentioned:

-The Night of the Hunter, first and only film directed by actor Charles Laughton in 1955. It was a commercial flop but has long been considered one of the great film debuts and one-offs in film history. Stars Robert Mitchum (the unquestionable namesake of the Mitchum brothers in Twin Peaks S3) as Reverend Harry Powell, a murderous preacher who is after the score of a bank robbery that he hears about from his condemned-to-death cellmate, who left it in the hands of his two small children. In addition to capturing the off-kilter, artificial, nightmare quality of Lynch, it also has something of his bizarro sense of humor, as Powell, besides being a brutal murderer, is just as often a goofy, high-strung incompetent. You could also do worse than to watch basically any film noir with Mitchum, especially Out of the Past, which is often considered the high-water mark of the movement.

-2666 by Roberto Bolano. 900 pages, unfinished at the time of the author's death (though close enough to completion to be revised according to his own notes and ultimately released in very satisfying fashion), spanning several decades and largely centered on the series of unsolved murders of women in a fictional town called Santa Teresa (inspired by a series of actual murders in Cuidad Juarez). Like the original Twin Peaks, the concern is less with who's responsible for the killings than for inspiring an atmosphere of suffering and dread. Bolano also has something of that quality of inexplicable "wrongness" that often defines Lynch, where he manages to raise the hairs on the back of your neck with details or incidences that seem, on their face, utterly mundane. It's not the easiest read, mainly because of how unrelentingly violent the longest and most famous section (The Part About the Murders) is, but for a novel so long, it's hardly inscrutable.

-L'Ange, avant-garde surrealist feature by Patrick Bokanowski. Not sure how I stumbled across this a while back, and I have yet to see any of his other work, but this instantly became one of my favorite films. It has no explicit plot, but instead is a series of vignettes loosely thematically connected, which seem to hint in their progression at some form of transcendence. It's difficult to explain, but it is the single most dream-like film I've ever seen, and I was absolutely floored by it. It's not too difficult to find online, and I think there's even a European blu-ray. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERj66hYLCkg

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Art Life is pretty good, it's more about him starting off as an artist, but there's a lot in it that circles and cycles back -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXEU_Kj3NI

What I like about Lynch's stuff isn't so much the dreamlike atmosphere in itself - but that combined with the everyday. Though the everyday bit is still self-aware and there are levels in terms of one reality to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7bAZCOk0Sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzTZoSvZvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHW5G6JD0Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3erNNfe6UQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpQsgSBEaQY

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I finally watched The Elephant Man last night and what a lovely film it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never heard of 2666, gonna check that out very soon

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I caught the last half of Possessed (1947) with Joan Crawford the other day and it seemed like a Lynch antecedent.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Escobarbarian posted:

Never heard of 2666, gonna check that out very soon

The funny thing about Bolano is that he thought of himself, first and foremost, as a poet (his novel, The Savage Detectives, is a thinly-veiled parodic account of his and his poet friends' lives as young hellraising artists), but knew he was in ill health and turned to novel writing as a way to provide his family with financial security after his death. And his novels are fantastic despite this.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Quoting for later

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched Eyes Wide Shut for the first time in a long time last night and was fascinated by how much it plays out like a Lynch movie at times. I mean, I'm sure Kubrick inspired Lynch and not the other way around, but yeah. That was wild to see because I'd never noticed it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I mean, I'm sure Kubrick inspired Lynch and not the other way around

Stanley Kubrick's favorite film was Eraserhead.