Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At least Ren found something to have a good sense of humor about this past week:

https://twitter.com/RenfamousX/status/1118639388538429440

That's goddamn heartbreaking to see. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Mantlo story is sad but the answer is universal healthcare funded by taxation, not 'folks should hope that their IP gets picked up by a super rich company 40 years down the line'. If Disney pays for his care it would be *nice*, but connecting the guy's health to the eventual lucrativeness of his products is a bad take.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

I... what the hell is he saying?

When Ren announced she was doing an eight page story in an anthology (Dead Beats, on KS now!), That Umbrella Guy immediately went to overdrive complaining about it as CG will do. Where it gets twisted is for some reason along the way because Renfamous mentioned he had a kid he started screeching she was threatening his daughter and even called Child Protective Services (which she did not do and there's no evidence of) so the outrage train is in full swing with his followers threatening her and as she said last night it's moved past 'ha ha internet drama.' Does TUG believe it? Nah, probably not, but the more outrage he stokes the more they watch his livestreams and whatever.

Another chud, Yellow Flash, has also chimed in because there's more than enough room on the train. (In the Technodrome of ComicsGate, TUG and Yellow Flash are the Bebop and Rocksteady.)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have reported so many replies about guns and bullets and how people who threaten children deserve to be staring down the barrel of a gun, etc. it is seriously out of hand. These people are absurd and the only evidence they have of Ren “threatening a child” are two other people saying someone should call Child Protective Services. I am pretty worried she is going to get hurt. For the heinous crime of writing a short story in a comic book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have reported so many replies about guns and bullets and how people who threaten children deserve to be staring down the barrel of a gun, etc. it is seriously out of hand. These people are absurd and the only evidence they have of Ren “threatening a child” are two other people saying someone should call Child Protective Services. I am pretty worried she is going to get hurt. For the heinous crime of writing a short story in a comic book.

She's apparently called the cops and has been archiving tweets and live streams.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I'm very hazy on law enforcement when it comes to the internet, what can the police do about something like this?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Viridiant posted:

So I'm very hazy on law enforcement when it comes to the internet, what can the police do about something like this?

From my own experience, not much when it's just stuff on the internet, but having a record can help later if it escalates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Viridiant posted:

Locally they can keep her info on file and maintain records of any non-violent harassment (threats and such) and if it becomes an imminent threat, create a protective force. If it's clear that it's interstate, the FBI can get involved and search out people threatening her.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bill mantlo's story is basically exhibit a in why the american healthcare system should be thrown into the sun

one of the best human beings in this godforsaken industry and yet

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 19, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

The Mantlo story is sad but the answer is universal healthcare funded by taxation, not 'folks should hope that their IP gets picked up by a super rich company 40 years down the line'. If Disney pays for his care it would be *nice*, but connecting the guy's health to the eventual lucrativeness of his products is a bad take.

nobody did this doofus, nobody is saying that should be how it is as a system

they're sayining its hosed up that this company cant provide for someone who did, inadvertently, create an incredibly popular character, in our blighted nightmare dimension of for profit healthcare, instead of his family being forced to go around hat in hand

goddamn how did you make up your own hot take to get mad at

heres the real hot take if you want to get wound: marvel and then disney didnt take care of mantlo because when he had his accident he was going to night school to become a lawyer so he could help creators unionize. is it real? absolutely not, but neither is the thing you're mad about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Of tangential interest, the Vic Mignogna lawsuit dropped and Beth Elderkin (who did an article on him for IO9) got a look at it and talked about in this thread:

https://twitter.com/BethElderkin/status/1119197839610060800

In short, Vic doesn't seem to have anything past "I didn't do it." Naturally people are coming out of the woodwork to tell her how wrong she is, because Blackface Lawyer was drunk on YouTube and talked about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ahahaha
https://twitter.com/BethElderkin/status/1119220972639354881?s=19

"The burden of proof is on the defendants"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

:viggo:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

If that's what they've heard from Rekieta, no wonder he's never tried a court case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Especially if it’s a libel case, you not only have to prove they were wrong, but that they did it knowing they are wrong,

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Elon Musk turned his Twitter avatar to Edward Elric just now as well, so who knows if it's related or just a lovely coincidence.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Anyone know if review bombing Doom Patrol is a thing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does anyone care about doom patrol enough to review bomb it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It has a gay person in it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So it is getting review bombed.

I've heard it's pretty good. Better than Titans which I'm finding to just be a slog

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Given they made a point to get Danny the Street’s preferred pronouns across tells me yes, it’s getting review bombed

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My lazy rear end stopped going to the gym, so I haven't seen either

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ahahaha
https://twitter.com/BethElderkin/status/1119220972639354881?s=19

Fun fact, the little Vic fanboys are now leaping all over Beth and telling her she's about to be sued for libeling and slandering him, too. You know, because that's how the law works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doom Patrol is amazing and absolutely inclusive enough to tick people off. It does feature a drag queen beating up a federal agent.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Doom Patrol is amazing and absolutely inclusive enough to tick people off. It does feature a drag queen beating up a federal agent.

They don't seem to realize that they're the people Morrison was writing about with the department of Normalcy in the loving 80s.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

They don't seem to realize that they're the people Morrison was writing about with the department of Normalcy in the loving 80s.

They'd have to read comics to understand that. One thing that those assholes have proven is they haven't read poo poo.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay looking through the reviews and yup, some guy has a Milo Yaniopolis or however the gently caress you spell that avatar. It's getting review bombed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first episode of Doom Patrol was pretty bad, it was yet another mass produced low budget DC show throw out to see if it would stick on the wall.
But yeah, this looks like a classic review bomb by people who have never actually watched it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oasx posted:

The first episode of Doom Patrol was pretty bad, it was yet another mass produced low budget DC show throw out to see if it would stick on the wall.
But yeah, this looks like a classic review bomb by people who have never actually watched it.

This is a bad opinion. Doom Patrol rules and episode one in particular obviously had some money put into it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The design of Mr Nobody hurts my soul, as does every shred of the humor I've seen. I haven't managed to pull together the desire to watch more than trailers that made my entire body cringe.

That's definitely review-bombing though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DP is probably the best comic book show ever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Doom Patrol is really good, despite, for sure, some pretty clumsy trailers. The cast is great and the Danny the Street episode was a smarter, more faithful, and more heartfelt adaptation of Danny than I ever would have expected. I wonder what would make it, in particular, a target for review bombing-- it has pretty prominent queer characters, sure, but so does Umbrella Academy, and Legends of Tomorrow, and even Gotham, which, as far as I know, have not been similarly singled out.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Doom Patrol owns, and still has an 82% audience score despite a... yeah, suspicious number of half-star no comment reviews. I can almost guarantee the Danny episode kicked it off, wherever it's coming from.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

The design of Mr Nobody hurts my soul, as does every shred of the humor I've seen. I haven't managed to pull together the desire to watch more than trailers that made my entire body cringe.

That's definitely review-bombing though.

Nobody looks fine. I love his comic design but it just wouldn't have worked here. Maybe if he had been a Roger rabbit style animated character? But that's gotta be beyond the budget.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's obviously Marvel and Rotten Tomatoes teaming up to hurt DC plus or whatever it's called.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the first responses to a picture of Jessica Cruz from JLA Vs. The Fatal Five I saw was 'why do all characters have to be female' so I absolutely buy Danny sending them off the deep end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

One of the first responses to a picture of Jessica Cruz from JLA Vs. The Fatal Five I saw was 'why do all characters have to be female' so I absolutely buy Danny sending them off the deep end.

Don't they know Jessica Cruz was the creation of EVS, savior of comics, with absolutely no contribution whatsoever from anyone else. Her existence is absolute proof that EVS, savior of comics, is incapable of being racist or sexist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe the Doom Patrol review bomb is because the show portrays Nazis in a negative way. That might rub some people the wrong way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1119781618745511941?s=19

Seriously, who gets a tattoo of their own name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Seriously, who gets a tattoo of their own name?

Whoa, Skwirl, warn us before you serve beefcake.