Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhzx4_YNsM
Here's a behind the scenes video for the last episode and you get the actors talking through the process of the episode.

I love how everyone is out of character costume and then there’s this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started a series rewatch. It's become very clear to me that I hated Quentin so much because now, four years in I can see how much I really identify with him. It's a little sobering really.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I started a series rewatch. It's become very clear to me that I hated Quentin so much because now, four years in I can see how much I really identify with him. It's a little sobering really.

Everyone was unlikable in the first season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Elliot and Julia weren't.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Alhazred posted:

Everyone is unlikeable in their 20s.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leathal posted:

Huh, you usually hear about this sort of thing in the context of “we don’t know if the show’s getting renewed”, so for them to put in the added time and expense to hedge bets on whether a c-list actor would be returning seems very unusual to me.

It’s not just reshoots/alternate endings, they’ve obviously been taking the dude leaving into consideration for quite a while (blessing of book author, grooming of Josh as the new everyman, etc) which makes me wonder who was actually responsible for the final decision since it apparently wasn’t fully made even on the day they shot the finale.

These kinds of shows shoot their entire season before the air date. They probably told Syfy that it was in case of cancellation and might have even started that way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Elliot and Julia weren't.

Julia decided to mess with the head of a friend she knew had a history of mental problems. That's a really lovely thing to do.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Julia decided to mess with the head of a friend she knew had a history of mental problems. That's a really lovely thing to do.

Didn't make her unlikable. Everyone was doing lovely things to people, Q abandoned her.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone is unlikeable in their 20s.

Early twenties in particular. Those early college years are chaos for reason, everyone is insane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Didn't make her unlikable. Everyone was doing lovely things to people, Q abandoned her.

Almost lobotomizing someone because they got into magic school instead you seems a bit extreme.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Q's history as the show portrays it hits home on a lot of stuff I've tried to repress. I've not suffered from long term depression but the number of times I've been depressed and despaired in my life in incalculable. I'm not stranger to the 72 hour psyche hold either. Growing up I was always told I was special, that I was going to be great, do great things. And now, 4 decades in, my life is exceptionally unimpressive. I have a good life with a wonderful partner but had I not met her 10 years ago I doubt I'd have been able to keep my head above it all this time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Q's history as the show portrays it hits home on a lot of stuff I've tried to repress. I've not suffered from long term depression but the number of times I've been depressed and despaired in my life in incalculable. I'm not stranger to the 72 hour psyche hold either. Growing up I was always told I was special, that I was going to be great, do great things. And now, 4 decades in, my life is exceptionally unimpressive. I have a good life with a wonderful partner but had I not met her 10 years ago I doubt I'd have been able to keep my head above it all this time.

Depression doesn't excuse how he portrayed Penny in his mind:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He is indeed a racist motherfucker.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Alhazred posted:

Depression doesn't excuse how he portrayed Penny in his mind:colbert:

Holy gently caress I completely forgot about that. I definitely think he's a completely different person by the end, but. Jesus loving christ.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bring back Taylor Swift music.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I identify with Q because I, too, was a whiny entitled 20 something manchild who gets way more credit than he should for at least trying to be better because the bar for middle class white American males is so comically low.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Ya’know... I’ve seen you around these forums for years. Thank you for sharing that. I don’t really know you and it sounds so bloody trite, but I’m glad you are still here.

So binged these last few episodes starting with the musical episode. What a rollercoaster. Such a wonderfully written series. I’m a debaucherous, aloof, flaky bastard and when Elliot sang “Take on Me” I cried. Like a newborn. This show pierced my armour so completely. I really was not expecting this. This was one of the most touching character exits I have ever seen. Beautifully and exquisitely done. Bravo Magicians.

Now someone get me a drink and help me plot my Hale Appleman and Tom Hiddleston sandwich.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I identify with Q because I, too, was a whiny entitled 20 something manchild who gets way more credit than he should for at least trying to be better because the bar for middle class white American males is so comically low.

Both Q and Julia are people who think that they're the super special chosen ones. To Q's credit he doesn't, unlike Julia, immediately gets radicalized and joins a criminal organisation the moment he learns that he isn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kinda disappointed that the show let a man chose to take away a woman superpowers for selfish reasons and he's still portrayed as likable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Kinda disappointed that the show let a man chose to take away a woman superpowers for selfish reasons and he's still portrayed as likable.

boooooo

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

This was the worst decision, if someone is a god then presumably there's a chance they can make the decision to become mortal later if she regretted it.

From a story perspective obviously they can't let Julia be a god but Penny's decision was terrible.

I mean poo poo, if in doubt stick with the status quo, right? She's already a god, if she woke up still a god she wouldn't have been angry, or even aware the option to become mortal had been available.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Agreed. I think Ghostbusters had a quote about that?

We never saw his choice, and the binder described it as a long and difficult process to godhood...

I enjoyed the episode but it was a bit frenetic, there were at least a half dozen episodes crammed in the last ep. Julia suddenly recovering in the cottage. Kady getting cured in a blink and you’ll miss it scene.

Alice as the head of the library because she’s ethical was an odd choice for Zelda to make.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's still that future? Alice that Penny saw, the one writing all the cryptic poo poo. That might be her actual fate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even if the choice had to be made, having Penny do it was hosed up. "We just met a couple of weeks ago, but we might go on a date, so that makes me her medical proxy!" Q probably would've been the best choice.

Also, having Q open the flower was stupid plotwise. Why not have Fen do it in two seconds with no drama?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I guess it makes sense for the Binder to ask Penny because the Binder was portrayed as a sexist jerk. But Penny should've realized how hosed up his decision was on his own.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Alhazred posted:

I guess it makes sense for the Binder to ask Penny because the Binder was portrayed as a sexist jerk. But Penny should've realized how hosed up his decision was on his own.

He did? He said that during that scene.

I would’ve appreciated a throwaway ‘we can’t wake her up to ask because magic’ line.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

He did? He said that during that scene.

If he had understood it he wouldn't have decided to make her mortal so he could gently caress her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Julia forgave him... maybe you guys should.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I'm glad they showed her being pissed with him, but her problem was the rather unreasonable "you didn't have my consent" when he literally had to make a choice and it was impossible to ask her.

The reason it was a "difficult" decision was because on one hand he had a decision that might let him live happily ever after with the woman he loves, and on the other hand he had a strictly better option for her which would mean he had to sacrifice his own happiness.

He was rather saved by Julia's own self doubt on this one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

It was lovely writing. Especially for a show that has proven to be really good about these issues.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Chalks posted:

I'm glad they showed her being pissed with him, but her problem was the rather unreasonable "you didn't have my consent" when he literally had to make a choice and it was impossible to ask her.
He didn't literally have to make a choice. It would've taken no effort for him to give the choice to someone who was way more qualified than he, basically a rando, was.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

He didn't literally have to make a choice. It would've taken no effort for him to give the choice to someone who was way more qualified than he, basically a rando, was.

I got the impression that there was no time but I guess you're right - they had time to get the binder I'm pretty sure they could have also got someone else too.

I mean he's not just a rando, he's also got a massive conflict of interest with a decision like that!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He is a Traveler, "no time" isn't really a factor

v That Penny recently came from another timeline. Literally all of the friendgroup know Julia better than he does

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She would have been more pissed if he had handed off the choice to someone that didn't know her.

Being a notgod caused her all kinda of torment about not feeling and being distant, her mentor was merked. Least she had peeps back on the human level. :goonsay: bad writing... i'll be angry thanks.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Chalks posted:

The reason it was a "difficult" decision was because on one hand he had a decision that might let him live happily ever after with the woman he loves, and on the other hand he had a strictly better option for her which would mean he had to sacrifice his own happiness.

He was rather saved by Julia's own self doubt on this one.

Theres also the conversation he had with the prep school ghost whose name I can't remember that may have hosed with Penny's judgement. That was only a few episodes ago and he said he'd never choose his own happiness but that they both deserve each other.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Didn’t P23 and Julia have a convo about whether she should be mortal or a god?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

theCalamity posted:

Didn’t P23 and Julia have a convo about whether she should be mortal or a god?

They did but it was really just a conversation about her ambivalence and self doubt. It was the basis of his decision, but I think it would have been better if they'd shown Julia expressing a clear preference to be mortal - even if she regretted it afterwards and had the same anger towards Penny when she realised she couldn't do magic as a mortal at all.

That way the decision would have been more about whether to keep her god powers for the greater good against her wishes, or to make her mortal with the conflict of whether his decision was really because she wanted it or because he did.

I'm just nit picking really, but sometimes the behaviour of the characters doesn't quite click for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

v That Penny recently came from another timeline. Literally all of the friendgroup know Julia better than he does

Todd knows her better than he does.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I also liked that the most personal thing Fogg had after Q was a form he filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Couldn’t penny have just incepted Julia while she was unconscious and ask her directly? He’s done it before.