Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Buhhhuj what do you mean you don't think getting rid of guns will stop all violence aren't you a leftist, I screech, poo poo spraying out of my pants like the world's dumbest volcano, my family has left me and my new family is gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gun violence is so rare, it's insane for kids to be worried about it, also everyone needs to walk around strapped all the time to stop bad guys with guns

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The bad guys with guns are called cops.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Dead Reckoning posted:

Kids are, statistically, safer from interpersonal violence today then they have been at any time in the last three decades. The fact that some of them are stressed out by the idea of dangerous but staggeringly unlikely events seems like an education problem, not a legal-access-to-guns problem.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, ma'am. What happened to those kids was just a tragedy. Absolute tragedy.

But statistically speaking..."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MixMastaTJ posted:

This is cool and good in principle though.

It's just that Murica has hosed up so bad that GUN is statistically a non-negligible factor unlike in sane countries.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Only nation wide use of force laws can stop this systematic assault on our Second Amendment Rights.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/you-told-me-to-video-shows-charlotte-police-officer-kill-man-following-orders-to-drop-gun/941371628

quote:

[murdered suspect]'s right hand appears to go into his pocket. He pulls out a handgun by its barrel and lowers it to the ground.

As soon as the handgun is visible, [officer] fires her service weapon twice into [murdered]'s body.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 19, 2019

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Nevvy Z posted:

Only nation wide use of force laws can stop this systematic assault on our Second Amendment Rights.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/you-told-me-to-video-shows-charlotte-police-officer-kill-man-following-orders-to-drop-gun/941371628

Yeah it's a bad idea to pull a gun out when a cop has a gun trained on you, full stop. I realize expecting people to take responsibility for their own actions is a tremendously high bar, but i thought it was conventional wisdom that if you're carrying, and are interacting with law enforcement in any way, you state calmly that you are carrying and stay still and give the cop time to react. Now of course, if you're carrying illegally, you are going to get arrested. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's worse than getting killed on the spot, because that's your choice.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

youre dick posted:

Yeah it's a bad idea to pull a gun out when a cop has a gun trained on you, full stop. I realize expecting people to take responsibility for their own actions is a tremendously high bar, but i thought it was conventional wisdom that if you're carrying, and are interacting with law enforcement in any way, you state calmly that you are carrying and stay still and give the cop time to react. Now of course, if you're carrying illegally, you are going to get arrested. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's worse than getting killed on the spot, because that's your choice.

Or maybe cops shouldn't murder people.

Just throwin' that out there.

Maybe they should be, I dunno, trained or something. To not kill people for no reason.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Or maybe cops shouldn't murder people.

Just throwin' that out there.

Maybe they should be, I dunno, trained or something. To not kill people for no reason.

This.

Give cops all the hazard pay they need, but the cop should always fire the second shot.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

suck my woke dick posted:

This.

Give cops all the hazard pay they need, but the cop should always fire the second shot.

An idea berthed in the cradle of nonsense, that cops should stand there politely and get shot then consider their next move. They could simply shield themselves with the power of hope and I don't know, angles or something

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

youre dick posted:

Yeah it's a bad idea to pull a gun out when a cop has a gun trained on you, full stop

Instead wait to get shot for failing to comply with their direct order? Or for shopping while carrying the BB gun you want to buy?

youre dick posted:

An idea berthed in the cradle of nonsense, that cops should stand there politely and get shot then consider their next move. They could simply shield themselves with the power of hope and I don't know, angles or something

At minimum, they should be under the same rules of engagement as our troops.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This.

If cops have to fire the second shot then they better be either behind a bullet-proof barrier or wearing full body armor, including those Spetznas-style helmets. The issue here is simply racism, that the life of an African-American male is not worth the cost of equipping cops with the gear they need to safely diffuse these kinds of situations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

qkkl posted:

If cops have to fire the second shot then they better be either behind a bullet-proof barrier or wearing full body armor, including those Spetznas-style helmets. The issue here is simply racism, that the life of an African-American male is not worth the cost of equipping cops with the gear they need to safely diffuse these kinds of situations.

I don't think it's the gear that it's the problem:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a fun fact, in Norway it is completely impossible to suicide by cop:
https://translate.google.com/transl...tiet-1.13673403
Maybe instead of giving your cops fancy gear you should change their training instead?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

youre dick posted:

An idea berthed in the cradle of nonsense,
But enough about your mom's house.

Rimshot!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nevvy Z posted:

Did I read the article right that he robbed a restaurant before that?

edit: Found another article. So it seems the deceased was going to his ex-girlfriends work and was waving around a gun either trying to threaten his ex or scare the new boyfriend. Pretty hosed up domestic abuse poo poo.

Its too bad it ended that way in the parking lot, but on the other hand, gently caress domestic abusers.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We need the second amendment so we can resist and secure our rights from the government, but because anyone might have a gun the government has carte blanche to murder you at any time for any reason no matter what you do, cops need to get home safe!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

zapplez posted:

Did I read the article right that he robbed a restaurant before that?

I don't know what he did but neither do you and neither did the cop who executed him. Death penalty for armed robbery seems a bit much, if that's true.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This.

A better idea: Make it so that if you successfully kill the cop you are granted a full pardon. This should include all interactions with the police, including traffic stops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

A better idea: Make it so that if you successfully kill the cop you are granted a full pardon. This should include all interactions with the police, including traffic stops.
If you kill a cop you get to be a cop.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you kill a cop you get to be a cop.

Highlander with cops and then when there's only one left he gets to be head of the FBI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

We need the second amendment so we can resist and secure our rights from the government, but because anyone might have a gun the government has carte blanche to murder you at any time for any reason no matter what you do, cops need to get home safe!

it really is obnoxious that the gun nuts talk about that poo poo and then vote for the most authoritarian brutes who are actively dismantling what little democracy we have.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I would like us to be down on the bottom right end of this chart one day, I don't care if it "was basically flat for a decade" (which seems like a very disingenuous way of framing this chart)

That chart looks a little different if you don't artificially stretch the vertical axis and slap a linear fit on some randomly selected years.

VitalSigns posted:

Gun violence is so rare, it's insane for kids to be worried about it, also everyone needs to walk around strapped all the time to stop bad guys with guns
Interpersonal violence is depressingly common in America. Being gunned down by an "assault weapon" wielding spree shooter is so staggeringly rare that it shouldn't merit major legal changes.

MixMastaTJ posted:

"I'm so sorry for your loss, ma'am. What happened to those kids was just a tragedy. Absolute tragedy.

This is the correct way to run a society though. Perfect safety is not possible. If your response to every newsworthy death is, "we have to do something!" then the result is things like congress mandating a sixfold increase in the training hours for commercial airline first officers in response to pressure from the families of people who died in the 2009 Colgan Air crash. It had a severe impact on the ability of new FOs to get certification, and did absolutely nothing to directly address the causes of the crash, but "something had to be done" and it certainly was something.

Or Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and Sen. Cory Gardner introducing legislation to limit opioid prescriptions for acute pain to 7 days.

Nevvy Z posted:

At minimum, they should be under the same rules of engagement as our troops.
So able to kill people solely on the basis of the clothing they wear, allowed to respond to being shot at with volleys of machine gun and mortar fire, and serving high risk warrants by blowing up the person's entire house with air delivered weapons?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really is obnoxious that the gun nuts talk about that poo poo and then vote for the most authoritarian brutes who are actively dismantling what little democracy we have.
But enough about Dianne Feinstein :v:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 20, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Who cares about murdered gun owners? Not the NRA. Not the people allegedly here to defend gun rights.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

That chart looks a little different if you don't artificially stretch the vertical axis and slap a linear fit on some randomly selected years.

And yet I notice their rate is still way way way lower than our rate. :thunk:

I would like the homicide rate to be lower. You want to keep your rooty tooty point and shooty toys.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think my ability to legally own guns has any significant impact on our national murder rate.

Australia confiscated guns, America allowed the AWB to lapse, and both countries' murder rate followed a largely similar trajectory.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think my ability to legally own guns has any significant impact on our national murder rate.

Australia confiscated guns, America allowed the AWB to lapse, and both countries' murder rate followed a largely similar trajectory.

I agree. Remove the second amendment. If you want guns move to a gun state.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

And yet we have mass shooting events on a regular basis and they don't. And they are uniquely horrifying, they leave a collective scar on the psyche of the nation, and now the next generation is at an all time high level of fear of being killed in school (proven with data earlier itt) despite the beep boop statistical chances of them being shot being low.

This is a phenomenon we must take drastic action to prevent. It is literally inflicting trauma on an entire generation of young Americans. You would rather us do nothing because you love your toys so loving much.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

in which country is owning a toy gun punishable by summary execution again

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Interpersonal violence is depressingly common in America. Being gunned down by an "assault weapon" wielding spree shooter is so staggeringly rare that it shouldn't merit major legal changes.
Is rarity how we create laws now?
Death by nuclear weapon and high explosive seem pretty rare nowadays, why cant I own those? Oh right because society has deemed it not worth the risk, much like it should for guns.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is the correct way to run a society though. Perfect safety is not possible.
Ahhh, you're just against laws then. At least your position is cohesive, despite being completely reprehensible.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

And yet we have mass shooting events on a regular basis and they don't. And they are uniquely horrifying, they leave a collective scar on the psyche of the nation, and now the next generation is at an all time high level of fear of being killed in school (proven with data earlier itt) despite the beep boop statistical chances of them being shot being low.

This is a phenomenon we must take drastic action to prevent. It is literally inflicting trauma on an entire generation of young Americans. You would rather us do nothing because you love your toys so loving much.

Mass shootings are incredibly hosed up and we need to start doing more to address them, but tough firearm laws don't seem to eliminate them either. Look at Norway, Canada, France, etc. All have had major mass shootings in countries with far tougher gun laws than the USA will ever enact anytime soon. The guns have always been around, why do young men today want to act out this way?

Good first step is to follow Germany's idea about media restrictions and have a publishing ban on the full name and pictures of the shooter. The desire for infamy is part of the appeal of the mass shooting and we have studied and proven the copycat effect exists.

We have an all time high of pathetic young men with no future, no friends, no dreams, no ability and a focus on tv news and violence. They are more isolated young men now in than in all of history. We have more sexless men in their 20s and 30s than ever. Not to mention the coupling effect from insular internet communities that egg each other on to go and either kill themselves or go on a shooting spree, see 4chan , reddit, incells, etc. Theres no easy fix for this. You can't force lovely young men to work on becoming real and balanced people who can care for others.

edit: you shouldn't be able to buy a guy if you a single male until you are 40. If you are married you can apply for one at 25, but your wife has to approve it. And maybe you should only be able to buy bullets in a mail order catalog with 30 day delay.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 20, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

Mass shooting are incredibly hosed up and we need to start doing more to address them, but tough firearm laws don't seem to eliminate them either. Look at Norway, Canada, France, etc. All have had major mass shootings

You missed the operative phrase here:

quote:

And yet we have mass shooting events on a regular basis and they don't.

They have way less than we do because of harsher gun laws. Case closed.

zapplez posted:

Good first step is to follow Germany's idea about media restrictions and have a publishing ban on the full name and pictures of the shooter. The desire for infamy is part of the appael of the mass shooting and we have studied and proven the copycat effect exists.

We have an all time high of pathetic young men with no future, no friends, no dreams, no ability and a focus on tv news and violence. They are more isolated young men now in than in all of history. We have more sexless men in their 20s and 30s than ever. Not to mention the coupling effect from insular internet communites that egg each other on to go and either kill themselves or go on a shooting spree, see 4chan , reddit, incells, etc. Theres no easy fix for this. You can't force lovely young men to work on becoming real and balanced people who can care for others.

Save this dumb horseshit for a First Amendment thread or a culture thread, this is about gun control.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

You missed the operative phrase here:

They have way less than we do because of harsher gun laws. Case closed.

You don't even get my point. Just getting harder on gun laws is not addressing the actual cause of a shocking increase of young men that want to leave their mark by doing one of these shootings. Even if 20 years from now we had Canada or Norway or whoevers gun laws, you would STILL BE HAVING MASS SHOOTINGS.

The best way to treat obesity isn't to improve liposuction techniques. Its to deal with why people want to overeat.

Unless we get serious about tackling the obvious mental/societal/isolation problem these lovely young men have, you are going to keep having these happening. And if we got had a genie to grant our wishes and guns disappeared tomorrow, youd still have these young men committing mass casualty incidents by renting trucks and running over people, or they'd learn to make bombs, or set buildings on fire, etc etc

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

zapplez posted:

The best way to treat obesity isn't to improve liposuction techniques. Its to deal with why people want to overeat.

Saving lives now is more important than solving all possible violence

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

You don't even get my point. Just getting harder on gun laws is not addressing the actual cause of a shocking increase of young men that want to leave their mark by doing one of these shootings. Even if 20 years from now we had Canada or Norway or whoevers gun laws, you would STILL BE HAVING MASS SHOOTINGS.

Nope, I'm refusing to acknowledge the premise of your argument. This thread isn't about dumb culture war bullshit where you end up accusing me of wanting to lock people up for thoughtcrime if we follow the logical endpoint of your argument.

This about gun control. When we say "background checks" we're talking about "were you involuntarily committed for extreme mental illness" or "do you have a background of domestic abuse" as red flags, not which chans you post on.

This is about the level of lovely arguing I'd expect from someone who used an alt account to fake agree with himself.

e: I've already addressed your argument about why everyone switching to knives/bombs/vans is still better for society

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 20, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nevvy Z posted:

Saving lives now is more important than solving all possible violence

Lets do both. I want to hear the same people that say we need drastically different gun laws agree we need to ban people with mental illness from owning guns and we need strong media reforms.

WampaLord posted:

Nope, I'm refusing to acknowledge the premise of your argument. This thread isn't about dumb culture war bullshit where you end up accusing me of wanting to lock people up for thoughtcrime if we follow the logical endpoint of your argument.

I'm actually not trying to play "gotcha". I non-ironically think if you look at the fact some 80% of all mass shootings are committed by the exact same 18-30 year old virgin 4chan regular guy, and so we should be focusing our efforts on curbing them from getting access to firearms. Online forums where people literally roleplay mass shootings and egg each other on is not a good part of free speech. For gently caress sakes, the christchurch shooter was motivated by 4chan and such so much he livestreamed it for them.

I don't buy your bullshit about "its only bad if its a death by gun" anyways. We all understand the ease of use is a problem and makes it more deadly. But I sure as poo poo would be just as devastated if my family member died getting run over by an incel or shot by a white supremacist. Either way we should be trying our best to eliminate the desire in these hosed up people to act out this way.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 20, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

zapplez posted:

Lets do both. I want to hear the same people that say we need drastically different gun laws agree we need to ban people with mental illness from owning guns and we need strong media reforms.

I'm actually not trying to play "gotcha". I non-ironically think if you look at the fact some 80% of all mass shootings are committed by the exact same 18-30 year old virgin 4chan regular guy, and so we should be focusing our efforts on curbing them from getting access to firearms. Online forums where people literally roleplay mass shootings and egg each other on is not a good part of free speech. For gently caress sakes, the christchurch shooter was motivated by 4chan and such so much he livestreamed it for them.

I think that'd be an interesting thing to try at state level. I'm not too keen on mental illness restrictions, they need to be set very carefully.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

That's for a different thread, this one is about gun control.

quote:

I don't buy your bullshit about "its only bad if its a death by gun" anyways. We all understand the ease of use is a problem and makes it more deadly. But I sure as poo poo would be just as devastated if my family member died getting run over by an incel or shot by a white supremacist. Either way we should be trying our best to eliminate the desire in these hosed up people to act out this way.

No loving poo poo, we're talking about on a societal level, obviously individuals will still die horribly, we can't just magic away murder, but you also can't just snap your fingers and change the culture any easier than I can snap my fingers and magic all the guns away. They're both problems that need a shitload of work to fix, but this thread is about gun control and not fixing the incel problem.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

WampaLord posted:

No loving poo poo, we're talking about on a societal level, obviously individuals will still die horribly, we can't just magic away murder, but you also can't just snap your fingers and change the culture any easier than I can snap my fingers and magic all the guns away. They're both problems that need a shitload of work to fix, but this thread is about gun control and not fixing the incel problem.

Guns for sex havers only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

No loving poo poo, we're talking about on a societal level

Are you the op? Admin? gently caress off.

You are arguing about a benefit of gun control being the elimination of mass shootings. I'm arguing even with gun control they still happen and I cited examples. This fits in an argument on gun control.

You aren't the thread god that decides we can only argue on the points you feel you are winning.