Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ola posted:

I'm not saying it's risky to do multi-day sous vides while away from home,
uh yes you are. the kind of thing you describe has already occurred and been learnt from

Ola posted:

Or course it can get hot enough. It has a thermostat that switches off when it reaches the set temp. If that single component fails, 750W will heat 4 gallons of water to boiling in under 2 hours, assuming no losses. 750W constantly on indoors will cause a fire sooner or later. Any electric heater etc at that power can also cause a fire, but usually don't because they too have thermostats. And they are designed to fail in safe ways, after having caused innumerable fires in the past. Hell, a 100W TV can also catch fire, given that there's something wrong with it. For that matter, so can a fridge.
that's true, they would catch fire, assuming all the safety features designed into modern appliances have somehow all failed already without the user noticing, or are just really dusty in the tv's case i guess. not really a valid usage case for people with working eyeballs.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

not really a valid usage case for people with working eyeballs.

The whole point is that your working eyeballs would be away, looking at something else. I always get stuck in these derails, I'll scamper away with my trusty fire extinguisher.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 20, 2019

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just chiming in to say that I did a 7lb Canada AAA-grade rib roast yesterday for 6 hours at 136, finished in the oven at 550 and it was utterly spectacular.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My sous vide lamb was great. Overnight bagging did not affect it at all. Thanks for the advice.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sous vide egg bites and lemon infused vodka were amazing. Egg bites will become a regular thing.
I used the skin of 3-4 lemons per 750ml of Costco American vodka. Next time I would use double that or more.
Mixed with a little simple and a bit of lemon juice and it is very refreshing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

Sous vide egg bites and lemon infused vodka were amazing. Egg bites will become a regular thing.
I used the skin of 3-4 lemons per 750ml of Costco American vodka. Next time I would use double that or more.
Mixed with a little simple and a bit of lemon juice and it is very refreshing.

Do you use a microplane for the zest, or a zester that produces bigger pieces?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Do you use a microplane for the zest, or a zester that produces bigger pieces?

Y peeler. Was careful to not get pith. Worked great. Not microplaned tiny pieced that would be hard to filter out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

Y peeler. Was careful to not get pith. Worked great. Not microplaned tiny pieced that would be hard to filter out.

I liked the flavour better with a microplane when I was doing it non-SV, FWIW, but it did require use of cheesecloth when I was done.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I liked the flavour better with a microplane when I was doing it non-SV, FWIW, but it did require use of cheesecloth when I was done.

I was lazy and impatient. Hence the SV and peeler. Sure, six weeks with ten lemons of microplaned zest would be the “best” way.

Next time I will do more lemons but SV and peeler was good enough. My awesome backyard frankenlemons made up for my laziness.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

lemon infused vodka were amazing.

Got a guide? I have trouble visualizing the process and my tepid puddle machine hasn't seen much use recently.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Spatule posted:

Got a guide? I have trouble visualizing the process and my tepid puddle machine hasn't seen much use recently.

I put the peels of four lemons in a 750ml mason jar (I will use 8-10 lemons next time). Fill with vodka, put on lid but not too tight. Fill puddle machine up to jar lid, but not submerged (I guess you could submerge but I read against it for vodka). Puddle at 135F for two-three hours.

Remove and let cool. Strain out peels, add simple syrup and a bit of lemon juice (you did squeeze after peeling, right?) to taste. Chill and get hammered.

I made a double batch with the big bottle of Costco Vodka, so it was two mason jars worth. When I was done I filled the vodka bottle and one mason jar of finished product.

I now have two handles of Tito’s ready to go to make the next batches.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was lazy and impatient. Hence the SV and peeler. Sure, six weeks with ten lemons of microplaned zest would be the “best” way.

Next time I will do more lemons but SV and peeler was good enough. My awesome backyard frankenlemons made up for my laziness.

Oh, I’m not judging you — you ended up with tasty lemon vodka, which goes in the win column. Just sharing the results of my own experiments. I don’t think doing it SV produces a worse product, but it was 1998 and I hadn’t discovered Polytron yet.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I’m not judging you — you ended up with tasty lemon vodka, which goes in the win column. Just sharing the results of my own experiments. I don’t think doing it SV produces a worse product, but it was 1998 and I hadn’t discovered Polytron yet.

I was in full on lazy but want to get drunk mode.

I would typically want to go the super picky and “best” way, and was really surprised by the quality of my lower effort result. Kind of made me rethink spending four days cooking thanksgiving dinner every year..,

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Puddled a Morton's Marinated Tri Tip from Costco, complete in it's packaging. (@129F for 3 hours)
Can report did not die, and it did not suck, despite being mechanically tenderized.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put the peels of four lemons in a 750ml mason jar (I will use 8-10 lemons next time). Fill with vodka, put on lid but not too tight. Fill puddle machine up to jar lid, but not submerged (I guess you could submerge but I read against it for vodka). Puddle at 135F for two-three hours.

Remove and let cool. Strain out peels, add simple syrup and a bit of lemon juice (you did squeeze after peeling, right?) to taste. Chill and get hammered.

I made a double batch with the big bottle of Costco Vodka, so it was two mason jars worth. When I was done I filled the vodka bottle and one mason jar of finished product.

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
IIRC some folks here use reusable silicone bags. I really ought to cut back on the amount of plastic I'm throwing away. Anybody have recommendations for reusables that work for both general storage and SV?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought about switching to the Stasher bags to cut down on plastic use, but analyses like this one turned me back: https://www.wired.com/2017/06/review-stasher-bags-sous-vide/

(Plus freezing in vacuum sealed state works better than with air inside the bag, I think.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Doing this again. 32 lemons for two handles of Titos. Juiced the lemons and am making oleo saccharine with the rinds.

I’m going to need more and bigger jars if I keep doing this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m going to need more and bigger jars

I think this has been a constant in my life for the past decade.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Cut a rib roast into some 2" steaks. 135 for 2 hours with some sea salt then finished on the bbq. Bag juices made a nice jus.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I always get my horseradish with extra fart... mmm mmm good!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Je reçois toujours mon raifort avec un pet supplémentaire... mmm mmm bien!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think about it as a worst case scenario

AkaThing runs out of water, overheats and catches fire.

So my joule shuts off if the water drops too low, the heating element is under water... I mean the only real threat is your house is so old there could be an electrical fire in you wall... but have you ever left a PC or flat screen and other junk in a power strip on?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well I’m glad someone resurrected that line of conversation.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’ve got a 500 gram rib eye bone in steak I want to soups vide for my wife and I. Medium rare, closer to rare if anything. I’ve got some smoked garlic butter as well, should I just chuck some butter with it, season, and what’s a good temp for this? I’ve never sous vide’d a steak that big or with the bone in. I’m more inclined to do it lower and longer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

teacup posted:

I’ve got a 500 gram rib eye bone in steak I want to soups vide for my wife and I. Medium rare, closer to rare if anything. I’ve got some smoked garlic butter as well, should I just chuck some butter with it, season, and what’s a good temp for this? I’ve never sous vide’d a steak that big or with the bone in. I’m more inclined to do it lower and longer.

How thick is it? Assuming somewhere in the 1-1.5" range, would just puddle it with salt and pepper for 2-3 hours at 127F. Sear it with some clarified butter on the hottest thing you have for a minute-90 seconds a side. While it rests, use the bag drippings, the smoked garlic butter, and some red wine to make a nice little sauce.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I puddled some chicken at 150 with lime and chili to shred into a salad. It was great.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I puddled some chicken at 150 with lime and chili to shred into a salad. It was great.

I have been doing a bunch of chicken lately, usually with just mixed herbs, but I like the idea of lime and chilli. Will have to give that a crack

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I did a couple racks of ribs over the weekend. I used a homemade, thrown-together dry rub.
Smoked as cold as possible for two hours. When they came out of the smoker, internal temp was like 137. Then I portioned them into thirds and they went in the bath at 160 for 22 hours. Froze most of them, broiled to finish two portions for myself and a guest.

In my opinion, at 160 they were a little overdone. Serious Eats says 165 is good for "traditional" texture, but I'd say maybe it's traditional if you're used to ribs from golden corral or something. Next time I'll try at 155 and see what happens.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

canyoneer posted:

Wouldn't the lime start cevicheing it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Wouldn't the lime start cevicheing it?
You only need 1-2 hours depending on how thick the breast is. Texture change is minimal to that of a marinade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was thinking that canyoneer meant zest rather than or in addition to juice, hmm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I cut the lime into round slices and threw the whole thing in. So, yeah, zest and unjuiced lime

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I hate being that person that jumps to the end of a megathread and demands answers from the thread but...

So I've done some hobo sous vide cooking with a cooler and thermometer to make ribs a few times, finally decided to get an actual machine, but the OP is very old. I've been reading countless reviews online and doing research, but at the end of the day I always prefer being able to ask people directly who have experience. I've looked at things from the often recommended Anova nano, to cheaper things that are hard to find a lot of reviews on that dot the pages of amazon like Gourmia GSV150, or Instant Pot SSV800, and others.

So, long story short, if I'm looking for a sous vide stick under $100 USD, whats my best bet? Ideally i'd like it to be able to heat a large enough container if i want to do a rack of pork ribs as well, and I don't know how strict those listed container limits are.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Tom Guycot posted:

I hate being that person that jumps to the end of a megathread and demands answers from the thread but...

So I've done some hobo sous vide cooking with a cooler and thermometer to make ribs a few times, finally decided to get an actual machine, but the OP is very old. I've been reading countless reviews online and doing research, but at the end of the day I always prefer being able to ask people directly who have experience. I've looked at things from the often recommended Anova nano, to cheaper things that are hard to find a lot of reviews on that dot the pages of amazon like Gourmia GSV150, or Instant Pot SSV800, and others.

So, long story short, if I'm looking for a sous vide stick under $100 USD, whats my best bet? Ideally i'd like it to be able to heat a large enough container if i want to do a rack of pork ribs as well, and I don't know how strict those listed container limits are.

If you don't need it *today*, use camelcamelcamel to set up a price watch on the 800W non-wifi Anova. It'll bounce below $100 within a few weeks, most likely.

I'd recommend that over the Nano because the build quality is higher and you can actually clean the heating element and impeller. I bought a Nano as my 4th Anova (I use them to cook for big family gatherings) and I am seriously underwhelmed with the Nano.

If you decide to get something else, just make sure it has physical controls and doesn't necessitate a app for use (like the Joule does).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cheers!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Once again quoting myself on this for space and good container. I didn't do the whole hinge thing but have been using it with the 800 Anovo since Dec 25th 2016. Couldn't be happier with it. I've done 2 pork butt at the same time, whole flat briskets for 36hrs, pork belly, multiple racks of ribs at the same time.

sterster posted:

Just purchased 25q Party Stacker Colamn cooler and other poo poo to use. Going to make one of these. I've really enjoyed SV pork for large groups and up next is a brisket so I need something bigger and more insulated for longer cook times.

Here are other people images.

Parts list for the blue cooler build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZJ3TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098PNZLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2ILXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G5LP2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 13, 2019

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Seconding the not-nano Anova. As for container volume ratings, I can only assume they're for uninsulated, open topped containers. I've got a 36L can cooler with an Anova-sized hole cut in the lid that I have used for multiple 36 hour brisket cookups holding 67C the whole time with no trouble.

e: ^^^ basically that, except Australian. The other thing I did is got some expanding polyurethane foam and filled the voids in the lid with it, both for extra insulation and to help keep moisture from entering through the anova hole and letting mold grow.

edit 2: If you're going to do hot cooks in a saucepan, buy a packet of ~50 ping pong balls, and cover the water with them. They'll help insulate, and reduce evaporation which is going to help cause the Anovas have a chronic issue where they get moisture in through the rear vent onto the circuit board, and then flake out.

Night Shade fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 13, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So what is the big problem with the Nano out of curiosity? Just lower power, or something more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Tom Guycot posted:

So what is the big problem with the Nano out of curiosity? Just lower power, or something more?

Lower power, more plastic/less metal, and you can't get the case around the heating element open which is kind of important of you have hard water or have a bag leak.