Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm playing Cult of Sotek in ME, so I guess I'm not getting the full experience.

It's challenging, but surmountable (surmounted).

Toughest campaign start I've tried so far is Exiles of Nehek in ME, which lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

The more I'm playing new Skaven, the more I want something like the workshop for a lot of the races. This is a really solid system.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm playing Cult of Sotek in ME, so I guess I'm not getting the full experience.

No kidding, I've started a Cult of Sotek vortex campaign and has been a really tough start, managed to destroy Clan Fester and Khalida, who backstabbed me at the worst possible moment, choose to leave her city behind and dissapear into the east instead of fighting me.

I don't really know what to do now that I'm out of the early game, I suppose I should push inland and take Itza, but goddamn there's a lot of morons barring my way.

I just wish Skavens did not have a button to completely delete my frontline that they push every thirty seconds or so.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was kinda wondering about all of these "Oh man, Fester is so strong" comments, but it makes sense: a lot of you are playing a Vortex campaign. As much as I like that map, I find the actual mechanics of the Vortex race really bad. Not that Mortal Empires has good victory conditions either, but they're at least a lot less in your face for the most part.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do start with two half stacks that they dump on you right out the gate, and you will struggle to get to their last settlement in time to knock it out before they build up again.

Just managed to close that front on this run and now gearing up to kick khalida's head in.

The biggest trouble really is you just can't afford any good units. You're stuck with red crested skinks until you beat up khalida. Saurus units just break the bank. On the plus side I did mange to pile up 15k gold so I can do the dinorite if I want to, though doing it puts me 3k in the red income wise :lol:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I like that the Council Guard (special Stormvermin unit) only speak in barks and yips because their tongues have been removed :allears:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The thing about the Tehenhauin start is that he will personally dumpster any Skaven lord in melee. Combine that with judicious use of Flock of Doom on rat blobs and enfilading fire from flanking salamanders and no early game army will stand a chance. Same goes for early matches versus Tomb Kings really, though Khalida is a bit more threatening.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You're stuck with red crested skinks until you beat up khalida.

In my experience, those skinks wreck any early game infantry fielded by Skaven or TK.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Devorum posted:

In my experience, those skinks wreck any early game infantry fielded by Skaven or TK.

They do a lot of damage, but they are kinda glass cannons in the beggining though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

With the red skill and sacrifice bonuses you will still want to use cohorts. They have higher defense and the javelins don't hurt, but most importantly their damage is the same as the Red Skinks, the difference is that the RK have a higher proportion of AP, so when fighting against skellyboys or Clan Rats the Cohorts are almost as effective as the Red Skinks while being more durable. You 100% want the Red Skinks to tackle enemy lords and Stormvermin, but I wouldn't consider them an unambiguous upgrade on the Cohorts until you get into the Red Skink upgrades in Tehenhuain's lvl 12 trees.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZearothK posted:

With the red skill and sacrifice bonuses you will still want to use cohorts. They have higher defense and the javelins don't hurt, but most importantly their damage is the same as the Red Skinks, the difference is that the RK have a higher proportion of AP, so when fighting against skellyboys or Clan Rats the Cohorts are almost as effective as the Red Skinks while being more durable. You 100% want the Red Skinks to tackle enemy lords and Stormvermin, but I wouldn't consider them an unambiguous upgrade on the Cohorts until you get into the Red Skink upgrades in Tehenhuain's lvl 12 trees.

Red crests poison their targets, which cohorts don't.

The optimal play early(and possibly why I found Tehen's start really easy against his starting opponents?) is to mix cohorts and red crests at basically a 1:1 ratio and commit them to melee in pairs; the larger unit size and faster melee attack speed of the cohorts synergizes really well with the higher melee attack and poison of the red crests and helps keep the red crests brave so they remain frenzied.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZearothK posted:

The Reds have Frenzy, which helps.

I still bring Cohorts and Javelins, of course. My early game strategy has been to screen my Reds with Shield dudes, then spread the Shield units to the sides and have the Reds charge up the center. Then the shield guys hold the flanks and javelins flank around to throw javelins into their backs and encircle when they're out of ammo, or harass enemy ranged units. It's worked very well for me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not that it would be much of an impact, but I feel like Ikit shouldn't get access to plague units since he supposedly went to war against the Pestilens group and poo poo. I dunno.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Lot of people said Tehenhauin's vortex start was tough so I gave it a try, all you really got to do is abuse the sacrifices and insanely good rite of sotek, 90% ambush chance on open plains and extra killy skinks makes short work of skaven though you probably can just encamp and they will rush after you since they outnumber you 3 to 1, just be sure to rush maxing the skirmishing skill in his red line and keep taking the sacrifice option after every battle so you can keep popping useful bonuses.

With the rite and some sacrifices and the stupidly good dinosaurs you should be able to win against skaven even if the balance bar is 20/80.

Oh and be sure to go after khalida as soon as you've taken her minor settlements, you can simply declare war and use that 90% ambush chance to get her out of her city.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 20, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Oh my loving god do I love being ikit, goddamn. First thing I did was buddy up with vampire coast and blessed dread, than I signed non agression with skaven pals but nothing more. Ever. Than I horded ALL the warpstone nodes in lustria to myself and let all my buddies hellwar it out. Than after I horded enough stones to do the first five rituals serially I fuckin' betrayed my skaven pals and between me and my pirate pals we mopped them all up quick so and divided up lustria while I finished off the apocalypse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

They do a lot of damage, but they are kinda glass cannons in the beggining though.

Yeah they're a bit better than skaven but they die real easily.

They can get a shitload better if you get all the lord upgrades for tehenauin and if your use rite of sotek, but they're definitely not what I'd call good at the start. Not compared to saurus warriors, much tougher.

Though frankly lizards are just generally a lot flimsier than I'm used to which also doesn't help. Used to playing dwarves/empire with good armoured infantry.

On the other hand holaaa skiiiiinks so it's really hard to say which is better :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 20, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Not that it would be much of an impact, but I feel like Ikit shouldn't get access to plague units since he supposedly went to war against the Pestilens group and poo poo. I dunno.

If that disqualified you from buying from the other clans no skaven could get any arms from any other.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I think Ikit's ME campaign might be my new favourite. I started one undercity and I'm watching it spread. When it spreads far enough I'll start the countdown and see how many races I can annihilate in a single turn.

It's nice to play as Skaven and not feel like I need two armies to take down a walled settlement, too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty great how much the undercity snowballs. Eventually you get city pops every other turn or so. I had most of brettonia undercitied before I stopped just on random pops alone.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Motherfucker posted:

Oh my loving god do I love being ikit, goddamn. First thing I did was buddy up with vampire coast and blessed dread, than I signed non agression with skaven pals but nothing more. Ever. Than I horded ALL the warpstone nodes in lustria to myself and let all my buddies hellwar it out. Than after I horded enough stones to do the first five rituals serially I fuckin' betrayed my skaven pals and between me and my pirate pals we mopped them all up quick so and divided up lustria while I finished off the apocalypse.

Sounds like a good time to betray your pirate pals like a true skaven.

H2Eau posted:

It's nice to play as Skaven and not feel like I need two armies to take down a walled settlement, too

I actually liked Skaven before the DLC and I found them one of the easier factions to use to take AI settlements. Just have a lot of plagueclaws and an engineer buffing the crap out of them to decimate pretty much any garrison. After that, globadiers can just about melt anything remaining on the walls while you warp lightning them apart. I also love just throwing hordes of cheap slaves away to run elite AI infantry out of ammo.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 20, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tehenhauin’s ME campaign is probably my favorite so far. You feel properly outnumbered at the start but you have powerful (and fun!) units to deal with it and you get right into the campaign mechanics which are also pretty strong. Having a few fights early on that are 1200 vs. 3000 but you have good tools to counter theirs is a lot of fun. I’m pretty sure the snake boat dino is effectively immortal against just normal skaven and it just munched through hordes of them with its snake buddies.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
please give all factions a skryre-style workshop

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1194588998

Mixu's Legendary Lords 1 got updated, everyone got new models. Taurox, von Korden and Wulfhart are currently disabled till CFU is working again. This is one of the best mods in the workshop in my opinion.

quote:

What's Changed?
New character models.
New skill trees.
New faction effects.
Ice magic for Katarin.
Boat mechanic for Edward. (will probably enchance it more in the future.)
Revised Mad Count's insanity system and it's now similar to Harkon's system.
Mad Count might sound insane in the diplomacy screen and that's completely intended.

quote:

Characters Added:

Empire
Alberich Haupt-Anderssen, Stirland
Aldebrand Ludenhof, Hochland
Edward van der Kraal, Marienburg
Elspeth von Draken, Wissenland
Helmut Feuerbach, Talabecland
Marius Leitdorf, Averland
Theoderic Gausser, Nordland
Valmir von Raukov, Ostland
Wolfram Hertwig, Ostermark
Markus Wulfhart, Legendary Character, only available in custom battles for now
Alberich von Korden, Legendary Character, only available in custom battles for now
Luthor Huss, Legendary Hero for Reikland

Bretonnia
Bohemond Beastslayer, Bastonne
Cassyon de Parravon, Parravon
Chilfroy de Artois, Artois
Adalhard de Lyonesse, Lyonesse

Dwarfs
Kazador Dragonslayer, Karak Azul
Thorek Ironbrow, Karak Azul

Wood Elf
Daith, Torgovann

Beastmen
Taurox the Brass Bull, TBD

Kislev
Tzarina Katarin Bokha, Kislev

I also recommend LL2. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158791019

Azran fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 20, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Its fun when those random lovely factions declare war for no discernable reason so you just fill their undercity with nukes and laugh as their blow up ten turns later literally wiping out their entire faction and every army they had. Looks like those orcs weren't your biggest problem... IT WAS ME.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kanos posted:

He's pretty garbage out of the gate and doesn't do a lot until he can get his skill tree going, since his melee stats are trash and his spells are slow burn buff/support spells early on. Once he's got his spell suite and his dino he's the full package and is great, but honestly I think Malekith or Mannfred are just generally better at all stages; both of them are far stronger in melee at pretty much all stages of the game, both of them have self-healing methods(Nehek/Soul Stealer), both of them are awesome wizards, and both of them get dragon mounts.

I like Durthu. He makes me play like a big angry tree man. Crushing peasants and bretonnian Knights underfoot

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Azran posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1194588998

Mixu's Legendary Lords 1 got updated, everyone got new models. Taurox, von Korden and Wulfhart are currently disabled till CFU is working again. This is one of the best mods in the workshop in my opinion.

Marienburg is real fun with this mod, shame you activate the bloated Faction Unlocker to play them afaik. Your LL gets ship building and he's basically a pirate, you get access to Sartosan pirates via the shipbuilding and of course Marienburg itself is a good start cash wise.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Anyone has tried Bretonnia with the new changes? Do they make enough of a difference or are they just small tweaks? My only full run with Bretonnia was with the Fey Enchantress at release, and even though it was a blast to play, I'm not sure I want to do it again.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Marienburg is real fun with this mod, shame you activate the bloated Faction Unlocker to play them afaik. Your LL gets ship building and he's basically a pirate, you get access to Sartosan pirates via the shipbuilding and of course Marienburg itself is a good start cash wise.

Crynsos is working on a simplified version in case adding a couple factions from Vortex is a dealbreaker.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I love that the campaign camera will spend 5 minutes showing me random agent moves at the absolute edge of my vision from allies, but won't bother to focus on the 5 stacks of chaos warriors that just spawned and are landing on the shores.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Turn off ai moves except for enemies. Top left

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Skaven vs skaven is a ratfuck of attrition. I've had two close defeats so far because it becomes a pain in the rear end to manage.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Anyone has tried Bretonnia with the new changes? Do they make enough of a difference or are they just small tweaks? My only full run with Bretonnia was with the Fey Enchantress at release, and even though it was a blast to play, I'm not sure I want to do it again.

Im enjoying my playthrough. May restart it now that Mixus legendary mods are out. That and I started a ME campaign without Turn Time destroyer because I'm a collosal idiot.

Just unlocked Questing Knights. I hope they do a bit better stuck in melee that Knights of the Realm.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Note that the official launcher is bugged and won't enable all the mods. A hotfix should drop next week.

There's the unnoficial mod manager that I can't remember the name of, someone will be posting it shortly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, I really like starting a campaign using strategic stances and being nearly forced to use the new Lizardmen crafting bonus system thing while getting in lots of fights with Skaven. It reminds me of why I liked Kroq Gar's campaign so much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So are mods broken still?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

So are mods broken still?

Yes. Gotta use Kaderin's Mod Manager or whatever.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Confederations are much easier, only did one so far but instantly got a dilemma that let me do it guaranteed for either a chivalry or treasury hit, wows are pretty cute though some are a pain, but it feels a lot better not being forced into "wasting" skill points on them now. Also overall tech progression is simplified, you don't need generally need multiple buildings to get foot squires anymore for example, which makes their small province sizes more bearable. Haven't really gotten far enough yet to say if its a LOT better or not though-

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Sotek in ME brought me a new delight and mistake on my part.

I took the vampire coast rebel city in the starting province, then left assuming the VC would mop up their other city. Ran down to grab the leftmost city in the starting province and Itza beat me by a turn, so I promptly attacked them while their units were weakened and went to siege Itza itself.

VC take the rebel city, I think nothing of it. Their rebel army wanders into my unguarded north and take the southern of the two cities. VC follow them, declare on me and take the northern city. Fester turn up with 2 stacks and thankfully my panic built capitol army is enough to hold that off(barely).

At least I have Itza! Shame about the sudden and inevitable attack Skrolk will soon do to me.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Motherfucker posted:

Its fun when those random lovely factions declare war for no discernable reason so you just fill their undercity with nukes and laugh as their blow up ten turns later literally wiping out their entire faction and every army they had. Looks like those orcs weren't your biggest problem... IT WAS ME.

Nukes are also great for freeing up real estate that you want but isn't worth a war. Thanks for helping me out with Bretonnia, Barrow Legion. Gonna need that Pastures settlement you took though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm hoping Moulder (if we ever get it playable) ends up with a version of the Workshop that is based around mutations. The workshop is a great loving idea.

I'm also hoping the WAAAGH gets changed to behave more like Vermintide does now. With research it goes from weak to actually quite useful.