Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
So today was an interesting afternoon, I'll throw up what I've seen so far (probably nothing new for some), but since I don't follow the Facebook group and casually follow this, I'm ok with it. I'll have to think on this more and head out in another day or so, unless others have some good ideas.

Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/ous0NxT

I headed towards Cherokee Park and drove around the scenic loop a couple of times. I started at Daniel Boone, circled around and hit the Hogan Fountain + Pavilion. After that, I crossed the three bridges, and parked near the fourth. I took a number of photos of the bridge, and saw an odd area to the right of it. The bolt seemed random in a tree, but as I saw no other clues (and it was a bit of a chance to fall in) I didn't go crazy digging. After that, I walked over the bridge and inspected the Christensen Fountain and surrounding area. It's hill buts up to the golf course, so there were tons of golf balls from wayward shots. Clearly someone had been here recently, as they had flipped the large rock behind the top, but didn't dig there.

From the fountain, there are no visible benches of any type, and quite frankly nothing much around. There is some construction near the fourth bridge, but I can't tell from what. I walked back across the fourth bridge, and found the start of the Baringer Hill path. I didn't know if this was the "Emblem of B" so I went down it a ways and came upon a singular Worlds Fair bench. It is about 300 yards from the boat, and I took photos from every perspective here (the plaque was the Anthem foundation). I walked around in all the surrounding area but found no further ideas/clues.

I went back to my car and drove around the scenic loop. You go past the golf course and some pavilions (tons of Worlds Fair Benches here) until you finally loop back to the beginning of the trail. From there I went outside of the loop to the Bernheim Bridge. As many noted - it is under construction and is missing much of its detail. I took photos of the two plaques on the worlds fair benches closest to it, but saw nothing else of note in the area.

After that I went a bit further to the Belknap bridge - again - going down the "Emblem of B" road. Here I noticed the first fountain that appears to match the shape in the window. It's right next to a kids playground, and while there is one world's fair bench, nothing else is obvious. I regretfully didn't take as many pictures of this area, but am not sure it is relevant - while it is in Cherokee Park, it is not directly on the scenic trail that follows the route in the poem.

Finally - before I left the area - I decided to take one more loop on the main trail, starting at Daniel Boone. The part "A man of adventure stands at the beginning and end" has me that the treasure is near the start of the path - no matter which way you go on the road loop, you go over four bridges.

As soon as I started I pulled over, as I noticed another one of the fountains that matches the window in the picture. This one is squatter than the other, but directly next to it had a dedication to "Ann Browning Byers." I don't know if this the "Emblem of B", but similarly close (you can see in the subsequent photos) there are stairs to "go down below" next to it. Also, within eye site, there is a monarch waystation sign. There are four benches in the area near that Daniel Boone fountain, I took pictures of each plaque.

I'm not certain I'm any closer to finding it than the rest, but it was fun to get out to one of the best parks in the city. I always wanted to find the one in New Orleans, being born and raised there, so this is a fun opportunity now that I live in Louisville. I'll post any updates if I get any, otherwise appreciate any input based on the pictures. I'm glad to go back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 13 - Louisville

Excellent Stuff. Thanks again.

Paul Proteus posted:

The bolt seemed random in a tree, but as I saw no other clues (and it was a bit of a chance to fall in) I didn't go crazy digging.

Pull that bolt. It has been thrown around previously that the casque isn't actually buried in the place where the image and verse direct you, but there is rather a less disruptive method for acknowledging success and leading you to a place where it isn't a criminal offense to dig a hole.

There was a local treasure hunt around my town for years where the puzzlemaster's method was to seal a 10 dollar bill in wax wrapped around a nail that he would drill/hammer into various wood structures. You would literally pull a "fake" nail out of the location. That's way out there and Im not proposing this is the precise method, but it's something to consider. I don't think a casque is buried in Cherokee Park, but the image and verse seem to lead you there to find what it is you need to find to tell you where the casque actually is. Maybe.

quote:

After that, I walked over the bridge and inspected the Christensen Fountain and surrounding area. It's hill buts up to the golf course, so there were tons of golf balls from wayward shots. Clearly someone had been here recently, as they had flipped the large rock behind the top, but didn't dig there.

From the fountain, there are no visible benches of any type, and quite frankly nothing much around. There is some construction near the fourth bridge, but I can't tell from what. I walked back across the fourth bridge, and found the start of the Baringer Hill path. I didn't know if this was the "Emblem of B" so I went down it a ways and came upon a singular Worlds Fair bench. It is about 300 yards from the boat, and I took photos from every perspective here (the plaque was the Anthem foundation). I walked around in all the surrounding area but found no further ideas/clues.

I went back to my car and drove around the scenic loop. You go past the golf course and some pavilions (tons of Worlds Fair Benches here) until you finally loop back to the beginning of the trail. From there I went outside of the loop to the Bernheim Bridge. As many noted - it is under construction and is missing much of its detail. I took photos of the two plaques on the worlds fair benches closest to it, but saw nothing else of note in the area.

After that I went a bit further to the Belknap bridge - again - going down the "Emblem of B" road. Here I noticed the first fountain that appears to match the shape in the window. It's right next to a kids playground, and while there is one world's fair bench, nothing else is obvious. I regretfully didn't take as many pictures of this area, but am not sure it is relevant - while it is in Cherokee Park, it is not directly on the scenic trail that follows the route in the poem.

Finally - before I left the area - I decided to take one more loop on the main trail, starting at Daniel Boone. The part "A man of adventure stands at the beginning and end" has me that the treasure is near the start of the path - no matter which way you go on the road loop, you go over four bridges.

As soon as I started I pulled over, as I noticed another one of the fountains that matches the window in the picture. This one is squatter than the other, but directly next to it had a dedication to "Ann Browning Byers." I don't know if this the "Emblem of B", but similarly close (you can see in the subsequent photos) there are stairs to "go down below" next to it. Also, within eye site, there is a monarch waystation sign. There are four benches in the area near that Daniel Boone fountain, I took pictures of each plaque.

I'm not certain I'm any closer to finding it than the rest, but it was fun to get out to one of the best parks in the city. I always wanted to find the one in New Orleans, being born and raised there, so this is a fun opportunity now that I live in Louisville. I'll post any updates if I get any, otherwise appreciate any input based on the pictures. I'm glad to go back out.

Awesome recon. Thank you so much for taking the time to do all of this and give good detail of what you saw. Need to digest this report a little more but wanted to give an immediate reaction to say thank you. I will certainly have some future suggestions if you are willing to head out again soon provided the casque hasn't been dug up. Every Worlds Fair Bench is important, even if that's scavenger hunting and not puzzle solving. Find the ones in the vicinity of where the verse seems to flow.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Lurker saying "this is cool." good luck weirdos

I just wish this was progress on an old puzzle but cool anyway

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
There never seems to be enough local people willing to actually go outside and look for clues in these hunts. Seems like even the locals would rather use google than their feet and eyes in their own backyard. I’ll never understand that, but the recent effort in Louisville is greatly appreciated. Best of luck cracking the final clues.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, it’s great to have boots on the ground in this thread. Thanks Paul!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

3M TA3 posted:

There never seems to be enough local people willing to actually go outside and look for clues in these hunts. Seems like even the locals would rather use google than their feet and eyes in their own backyard. I’ll never understand that, but the recent effort in Louisville is greatly appreciated. Best of luck cracking the final clues.

Also thank God it isn’t winter. I’d hate for him to break a wrist.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Looking at picture and the map again - the curves on the bottom of the picture that make up the shelf seem to match I-64 on the northern part of Cherokee Park perfectly.

Doesn't help much. Trying to focus on branches, outline of the man, and even monarch wing pattern and the trails in/around Cherokee.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Looking at picture and the map again - the curves on the bottom of the picture that make up the shelf seem to match I-64 on the northern part of Cherokee Park perfectly.

Doesn't help much. Trying to focus on branches, outline of the man, and even monarch wing pattern and the trails in/around Cherokee.

I think it’s the curve on bridge 4 he posted in the albums. The hand rail.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
The foot plus 'boot' plus dress hem form a negative space arrow to me, pointing down and to the left.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13 - Louisville KY

Big thanks again for your work up until now, Paul. Look forward to the results of your future outings. There are "only" 300 some people in the facebook group, so hopefully the swarm to Louisville isn't too much. Definitely working against the clock though. Let me know what you come up with.

With the news from the Facebook team who broke the Lousiville location to the internet, things are moving along rapidly. Here are some additional interesting things to consider that have also been floating around there and elsewhere on the net that haven't made it to this thread. There are also some very obviously sketchy conclusions and theories being bandied about, but I'll leave those to Drunk Nerds to handle.

Close up of details on the Daniel Boone Statue at the entrance of Cherokee Park

Pan sculpture on the Hogan Fountain, not only has the cloven hoof, but:

Big Rock Being compared to the "boot" in the image. I thought I saw some images of Big Rock that did a little better justice to the comparison than what I whipped together on the fly, but whatever.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'd poke around below that line in the rock...

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'd poke around below that line in the rock...

Not sure how accessible that is right now - that river gets very swollen with rain, and it has rained a lot this spring.

That said, my goal is to head over there after work, so I'll snoop around.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13 - Louisville

Paul Proteus posted:

Not sure how accessible that is right now - that river gets very swollen with rain, and it has rained a lot this spring.

That said, my goal is to head over there after work, so I'll snoop around.

Looking forward to seeing what you come across based upon our prior discussion. Keep up the excellent work.

I am of the understanding the water is pretty high. Just speculating, but given the possibility of some original casques being overtaken by water, it may have been a point of consideration for the tribute. He did make the point to say the protective box is waterproof. (Edit: to clarify, I dont in the least think anything would be underwater or anywhere that would be a potential drowning hazard. Just another little anomally like the added "church property" caveat.)

I have't looked up the actual law myself but chatter says there is a strict "No Dig" ordinance in Louisville, so we are again back to the whole idea that the "twist" has something to do with there being nothing physically buried in Cherokee Park, but something around the place you are being directed to. Maybe you'll see something of that nature around "the spot".

Anyway, keep a sharp eye out there, Paul. Good luck.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 2, 2019

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Digging and other means of hiding items for treasure hunts that involve what may he construed as destruction of property are bound to influence newer hunts like the Tribute or TTOTC to find less controversial means.

Seems there are fewer concerns when an object is small, unobtrusive, or only needing to be pried loose from the turf, like using screwdriver sized tool at no more than 6" depth. For larger objects, such as Fenn's chest or the Tribute box, I would seriously consider a pile of smallish stones from the natural surroundings.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Urban Smurf posted:

Digging and other means of hiding items for treasure hunts that involve what may he construed as destruction of property are bound to influence newer hunts like the Tribute or TTOTC to find less controversial means.

Seems there are fewer concerns when an object is small, unobtrusive, or only needing to be pried loose from the turf, like using screwdriver sized tool at no more than 6" depth. For larger objects, such as Fenn's chest or the Tribute box, I would seriously consider a pile of smallish stones from the natural surroundings.

Finally a coherent post from Urban Smurf!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Went back out again today, mostly focusing near the Daniel Boone area and the "Big Rock." To preemptively spoil the ending - no casque today.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/FduxqWh

I started at the beginning of the scenic route, because I still think there has to be more at the beginning. To much from the photo and the verse hit this area. I took a bunch of pictures for armchair sleuths to review if anything jumps out with the numbers or names.

First few are the front/back of a plaque near Daniel Boone. It's interesting that she did both Boone, and the Hogan Fountain - both integral to this tribute in the imagery we see. I crossed the road to get to his statue on the "island" and took a variety of pictures. C.C. Bickel was a cigar baron of the area in years past, and humorously, his brand was "Dan'l Boone" cigars. It was donated in 1906. The cross on Boone's chest clearly matches the end of the axe in the painting. Behind the statue, directly under the Bickel plaque, was a newish rock and sunken earth. I didn't dare dig at this point, as you can see how open it is and that roundabout is a busy intersection. I'll have to go out and see if there is anything there, but I seriously doubt it. It's in what normally is a flower bed, surrounded by road - it seems to break two of the rules.

I took some more pictures in the area (I missed the Baringer Spring engraving before), and left.

The figure 8 of wood blocks is near the golf course, past the 4 bridge + Christiansen fountain. Seemed odd, although not sure if relevant to the hunt.

The final set of pictures is a bunch from the area surrounding "Big Rock" park. There is a pavilion with 7 windows, which some of the Facebook noted might fit the verse. Nothing else in/around it was significant. There are a few more pictures of the area near Belknap bridge.

The bench, which I know isn't part of this hunt (even though there are the viking beads) reminds me that each of these plaques represents a loss. In this case, it was a young man who passed last year - his family had covered it in ribbons with messages. It was honestly heartbreaking.

Finally - I got as close as I could to "big rock" for the posters above. It's not really possible to get to the area behind it without going for a swim. I checked various rocks/areas and found nothing of note, except for the pictures.

To another day!

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 3, 2019

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Can someone link me to an explanation of the World's Fair bench thing? I feel like I missed something huge.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

tacodaemon posted:

Can someone link me to an explanation of the World's Fair bench thing? I feel like I missed something huge.

Bottom left of the painting is a side view of a worlds fair bench.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13 - Louisville

tacodaemon posted:

That style of bench was originally designed for the 1939 New York World's Fair but are now a popular design that appear all over the country.

It was the first direct match from the painting to be posted on the facebook page about the hunt so the idea that a World's Fair Bench would play a part in the solve has been a topic of consideration since that early connection was made.

They are also all over the place in Cherokee Park.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Someone on the FB shared this: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Louis...iJv9MuVw35NyH7k

That's prettyyyyyy awesome.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Maybe someone who is completely immersed in the Tribute can answer, if the Heiberg facade is in Louisville and the Boone statue is far away in Lexington, then would it be worth considering some place farther, out in the "boonies" like Twin Branch or Twin Knobs?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Urban Smurf posted:

Maybe someone who is completely immersed in the Tribute can answer, if the Heiberg facade is in Louisville and the Boone statue is far away in Lexington, then would it be worth considering some place farther, out in the "boonies" like Twin Branch or Twin Knobs?

The Boone statue is located in Louisville at one of the entrances to Cherokee Park. The copy is in Richmond, Kentucky on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University. I am personally not aware of a copy of this statue being in Lexington, unless I am missing something?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

No, I was mistaken. I'm not familiar with the area.b to what does the "Your way has a twin" reference? Anyone know yet?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

No, I was mistaken. I'm not familiar with the area.b to what does the "Your way has a twin" reference? Anyone know yet?

Some people theorize that it is because there is both a walking path and a driving path that does the scenic loop from Daniel Boone to the Christiansen fountain. There's still room to debate though, given nothing has been found, and it's not hard & fast like some of the other clues.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13 - Louisville?

Urban Smurf posted:

"Your way has a twin" reference? Anyone know yet?

Facebook seems to know 100% for certain, but it's confusing to me. I don't understand why so many people can be so sure when they disagree with so many things in so many different places with the other people who speak with such confidence about their own certainty.

On that note, here is what will always be my favorite thing ever of all time relating to the secret unless this is just GFG's burner account:

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 5, 2019

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I did some of my usual stream o looseness thought action and now I'm wondering if a Peter Pan plan is involved. Boonies = "out in the middle of nowhere" = Neverland ("the sea"?)

2003 Peter Pan film by P.J. Hogan (same name as the weird Hogan Fountain featuring mythical Pan character in Cherokee Park).

Peter Pan has a set of characters called The Twins.

I have no certainty about this, but it looks like a good dose for the rabbit-hole inclined.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
There we go — welcome back!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

There we go — welcome back!

Lol!

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Urban Smurf posted:

I did some of my usual stream o looseness thought action and now I'm wondering if a Peter Pan plan is involved. Boonies = "out in the middle of nowhere" = Neverland ("the sea"?)

2003 Peter Pan film by P.J. Hogan (same name as the weird Hogan Fountain featuring mythical Pan character in Cherokee Park).

Peter Pan has a set of characters called The Twins.

I have no certainty about this, but it looks like a good dose for the rabbit-hole inclined.

Some dude on Facebook thinks the "Boonies" theory is so good he copped it from you without properly citing his sources.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 9, 2019

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Funny. It's about principles. Any decent puzzlemaker is going to use better principles to make their hunt. Finding a few hopeful links to an idea is nothing special. It takes more than powers of the imagination tou see how things really work.

Has anyone determined what the tree branch is all about?

Random roadside tree here.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 9, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Urban Smurf posted:

Funny. It's about principles. Any decent puzzlemaker is going to use better principles to make their hunt. Finding a few hopeful links to an idea is nothing special. It takes more than powers of the imagination tou see how things really work.

Has anyone determined what the tree branch is all about?

Random roadside tree here.

Nothing posted publicly seems to provide a satisfactory explanation for the tree branch yet, no. Unless I missed a big reveal somewhere.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Found this link buried in my google docs for no known reason. Had a good :lol: about it
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4--1MkbLX0BWmpWWm9rUUFmY00/view?ths=true

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It’s kind of amusing that the 13th is (almost definitely) narrowed down to the park/general area where it’s located but people are clueless about the specifics. You would think with all of the people in the FB group that have had boots on the ground, someone would see something.

That’s right, they’ve all got donkey brains.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

DeNofa posted:

It’s kind of amusing that the 13th is (almost definitely) narrowed down to the park/general area where it’s located but people are clueless about the specifics. You would think with all of the people in the FB group that have had boots on the ground, someone would see something.

That’s right, they’ve all got donkey brains.

There are certain things some people are keeping their guard up about that isn't necessarily being broadcast on the facebook group, but there is also a lot of repeat information and white noise over there as well.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

I have faith Urban Smurf will find it.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Piggy Smalls posted:

I have faith Urban Smurf will find it.

Last I knew he wasnt closely following the tribute hunt, unfortunately.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
New Orleans

Without looking at the rest of the thread and skimming the New Orleans ones before:

I have a solve for New Orleans. I think it's pretty solid. Just realised that we send people like Burnstyle out.

What do I do?

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 20, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Whatever you do, don't put a shovel in the ground. That will ruin the search for everyone who wants to play around in Google maps street view for the next 35 years.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FelchTragedy posted:

New Orleans

Without looking at the rest of the thread and skimming the New Orleans ones before:

I have a solve for New Orleans. I think it's pretty solid. Just realised that we send people like Burnstyle out.

What do I do?

Message burnstyle and ask. Although he found a lot of plaster that strongly resembled the found casques at his really good solve spot last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

FelchTragedy posted:

New Orleans

What do I do?

break both your wrists ASAP you loving coward