Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually, I'd be keen to learn what everyone who hasn't read the comics made of Jane's backstory as presented in this episode.

As a non-comics person, I'm not sure what you mean by this. It seemed relatively straightforward to me, with Kay (what's her surname? Challis?) being sexually abused by her father and dissociating into Miranda, but something went wrong with Miranda which caused the other personalities to come forward (whether they were already there or not I'm not sure on) including Jane as the "face" instead of Miranda. Presumably the Miranda personality is gone as evidenced by her station being dilapidated and filled with dead bodies. All the personalities, like they said, have a job (Penny Farthing runs, Hammerhead is the aggressive confrontation, Black Annis is like the last line of defense I guess? The Secretary likely maintains some sort of structure in the underground, Driver 8 ferries people to and from the 'surface' and presumably was the one what dragged Karen back last episode), and I'm pretty sure Jane's job is being the one that keeps it all going, as with her standing up against Daddy, though she probably only realized that when he tore Cliff in half. Obviously there's still a lot of details missing, but I think I've got the gist of it.

I guess maybe Miranda was feeling the same insecurities as Jane, sought out the well, but couldn't stand up against Daddy and jumped? Though if she was the main like Jane is now, that leaves some questions as to where Jane came in and who was in control at the time of Miranda's persona-cide. Obviously there's still a lot of details missing, but I think I've got the gist of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Also, here's an idea; we will see Orqwith and the scissormen later on - but we won't see them until the team has started getting a lot more confident about battling the weird. The stuff the team did in that arc in the comics has them working together surprisingly well for their first venture.

I think this was adapted into the unwritten book, the uncreator, and the razor nuns.

Rocksicles posted:

It was great putting actual face to the 64. Hammerhead is kinda awesome.

FTFY

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hammerhead is awesome, would be nice if they could find a way to work that actress (and Driller Bill) into the show again. The way the various characters were shown was done well, giving us sort of comic book captions for them, each with a different font for their name.

Holy poo poo moment:

The soundtrack was again great for the episode; and loved the sound effects + Cliff's scream of terror in that scene.

Earlier holy poo poo moment:

Cliff: This is my fault, I never should have pushed us into therapy.
Rita: Don't flatter yourself, Cliff, therapy was the rat's idea. :iceburn:
Vic: Part of me wishes we could shrink ourselves,Magic School Bus style and get inside her head....What?
Larry: Oh, just marveling at your embrace of the weird and utterly impossib

I love that Negative Man refers more to Larry's personality than to the alien spirit thing inhabiting him, which actually tries to help out. And this was a completely new and different ability from what we've seen before; wonder what else the Negative Spirit can do.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 17, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
BSS TV crosspost: Swamp Thing is ending S1 production early, and “the reaction on the set was one of shock.” sounds very bad, and possibly bad for DC Universe more generally, but not a lot of details right now

http://www.wect.com/2019/04/17/sources-swamp-thing-shut-down-production-early/

EDIT: I should have linked to this story instead, which has more details, none of them good: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190416/breaking-swamp-thing-to-shut-down-production-early

quote:

The currently in-production project is being shut down earlier than expected as its producer, Warner Bros., evaluates the future of its DC Universe streaming service, on which the series was scheduled to premiere May 31, according to several sources within the local industry.

Local crew members were notified of the unexpected development Tuesday night, and were told the project would wrap production on episode 10 and then halt as writers and producers rewrite an ending. Initially, the show was scheduled to film 13 episodes through May.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 17, 2019

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hmmm, not a fan of this news. I guess maybe the uptake of DC Universe wasn't what they were expecting? Be a shame if they cut this stuff off so early before it really gets a chance to build but then I would say that as someone who likes this show, I haven't seen the numbers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

well crap, the moore swamp thing series is one of my favourite comics of all time and i shudder to think how bad it could be

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tbf, it's possible that the sources are exaggerating things. Titans also had some weird production issues, with ordered and fully shot episodes getting cut and reshuffled into other episodes and the S2 premiere, and it still got an S2 order.

Either way, we'll probably hear more soon enough.

edit: One of the stars confirmed it on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwW_sq1FUcZ/

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 17, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sucks it's not catching on. Not like I paid for it or anything, but Titans was actually pretty decent. If anything it was hamstrung by DC's legacy bullshit. I went into Titans basically assuming there would be zero connections to anything, nobody outside the main roster would be allowed to be mentioned or hinted at, ZERO world building outside of the exact 5 characters we have licensed you to use, as soon a the film division even HINTS at one of these characters in a movie trailer they will be killed off unceremoniously. And it wasn't that at all. They mentioned Batman, Bruce Wayne's presence was felt, Robins were popping out of the woodwork. Nobody else seemed to like them but I thought Hawk&Dove were really good too, even if their episode probably should have been earlier in the season. fuckin suit cases

They still cast their Bruce Wayne so hopefully they at least do a bit more Titans

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving Warner Bros. treating DC like DC treated DC, so... i got nothing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this has disappeared btw

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this has disappeared btw

hah, it was literally just a picture of a swamp thing gummy candy and a generic "they made a mistake!" post from an actress on the show

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this has disappeared btw

this was it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doom Patrol could possibly be the best comic book show we've ever gotten. If there's nothing beyond season one I'm not sure I can ever fill the void it will leave.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Swamp Thing teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8TKZu5PbdA

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great way to sell something is banjax your goodwill the day before the trailer drops. WB can't do anything right.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres a rumor going around that Netflix cancelled Santa Clarita Diet so I was going to protest cancel my netflix account(big swingin dick move, i know) and get DC Universe for a few months to see how I liked it

I figured its 2019 and companies know how to get a streaming service off the ground by now, but nope. I cannot pay them for their content as a Canadian. They shoot their entire streaming catalogue in Toronto or Vancouver but I cannot give them money to watch it. It turns out pirating the content since day 1 was my only choice all along:v:

BOooo DC, come the gently caress on

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That instant where Cliff goes 'what' seconds before he's thrown into Jane's nightmare Underworld is just so funny to me. :D

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I liked the partially defiant and partially dismissive "gently caress you!" Cliff yells at Mind-Dad while he tells Jane that she's strong.

Just before he gets his legs bit off by Mind-Dad and screams "This hurts!".

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Speculation in the wake of this episode: Dorothy Spinner is gonna show up and she'll be the daughter of Niles and the psychic indigenous lady. (Or she is the psychic indigenous lady.) In any case, the button-eyed fake Niles in the basement is clearly one of Dorothy's imaginary friends, and the horned monster is some indigenous god remix of the Candlemaker.

Oh and being in close proximity to Dorothy Spinner's psychic energy of not wanting to grow up is why the Doom Patrol seems to have not aged very much over the decades.

Also every scene with Beard-Hunter is gold. A+ re-imagining of an already hilarious villain.

Finally we have in-show confirmation that FLEX MENTALLO, MAN OF MUSCLE MYSTERY, IS ON HIS WAY TO SAVE OUR IMAGINATIONS.

Nevvy Z posted:

I think this was adapted into the unwritten book, the uncreator, and the razor nuns.

That was all cult of the unwritten book arc stuff from the comics. I've not seen any reference to anything that happened in the Orqwith arc so far in the series. (Also I'm really looking forward though to a live-action version of the 'THEY'RE CUTTING OFF MY THUMBS!' scene.)

Dang, they're working their way up the DC 80s-90s British Invasion adaptions ladder aren't they. Can't wait until we finally get the gorgeously well-realized Sandman adaption we've deserved for decades.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2019

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I am completely flabberghasted that a) the beard hunter episode was good and b) it moved the plot along as much as it did.

Did the stonehenge stones somewhat resemble the candlemaker's "hat" or was that my wishful thinking?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dirt Diver!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

That scene of the beard hunter swallowing that hair caught in the sink drain and having that orgasm? amazing

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I thought the Beard Hunter was Bill Ponderosa at first.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

That scene of the beard hunter swallowing that hair caught in the sink drain and having that orgasm? amazing

That was some next-level disgusting poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watch Dr Pimple Popper while eating and never have an issue but the sink gunk scene made me dry heave.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Spacedad posted:

That was all cult of the unwritten book arc stuff from the comics. I've not seen any reference to anything that happened in the Orqwith arc so far in the series. (Also I'm really looking forward though to a live-action version of the 'THEY'RE CUTTING OFF MY THUMBS!' scene.)

I haven't gotten that far in the books I guess but it seems weird to me how similar the two are.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Slamhound posted:

That was some next-level disgusting poo poo.

Rhyno posted:

I watch Dr Pimple Popper while eating and never have an issue but the sink gunk scene made me dry heave.

It was the wooorrrst lmao 'a little bit goes a long way' :barf:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else here made hungry by Doom Patrol for more Grant Morrison subversive grossout fuckery really should watch Happy! - which of course was created by Morrisson and Transmetropolitan artist Darick Robertson.

The show is pretty much a spot-on faithful adaption of the 2012 comic with no compromises, and if anything, amps up and expands on ideas and moments that were already present in the comic. Morrisson himself was on the writing team for the show too. The show retains the feel of his best comic work; it pretty much is a faithfully Morrisson project in live action.

Here he is talking about it himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wyf1mo3SAk

It starts off as just being about a hardboiled Sin City spoof character juxtaposed with a children's show cartoon, but as you might expect with a Morrisson project, it becomes about so much more and so much more bizarre very quickly. There's a bunch of supernatural elements and stuff involving imagination, childhood, psychology, and so on that is very Morrisson. Some of the bad guy organizations are also very much in-line with villains in The Invisibles or Doom Patrol. Oh, and there are some JUICY hate-able bad guys in this. (Including a particularly disgusting Jimmy Saville send-up.)

Without spoiling anything - The general tone of the show is best summed up in this moment parodying a familiar scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtXDswZu9Q

The first season is up on Netflix (with a very satisfying arc) the second season is ongoing on TV right now.

Oh, and as if I needed more of a reason to sell you on the show; the series is directed by the creator of 'Crank!' and it really shows in the absurdly stylish visuals and creatively executed action. Him paired with Morrisson's irreverent writing is a wonderful match.

Also Christopher Meloni as the protagonist basically plays an over-the-top send-up of his prone-to-violence-family-man-cop character from Law & Order SVU that makes the show come across partly as a L&O:SVU spoof at times. (There's also quite a few flashbacks that have the tone of Law & Order SVU so it appears very intentional.)

Nevvy Z posted:

I haven't gotten that far in the books I guess but it seems weird to me how similar the two are.

If anything the cult of the unwritten book arc cuts down on detail in the TV adaption (including the many assassins and creatures the org uses) so it really doesn't need to steal from the Orqwith arc. But no, almost everything you saw (from the cult's assassins to the snowglobe to the giant puppet king/queen) outside of how they defeated the eye using Jane's cult was taken from the comic.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I am completely flabberghasted that a) the beard hunter episode was good and b) it moved the plot along as much as it did.

Did the stonehenge stones somewhat resemble the candlemaker's "hat" or was that my wishful thinking?

The candlemaker is definitely related to the beast and that fake button-eye Niles was DEFINITELY one of Dorothy Spinner's imaginary friends in the basement. I began to suspect there was a Dorothy Spinner connection after seeing the neanderthal-looking psychic lady's features.

Rhyno posted:

All I could think about during that scene is "wow, I wonder what substance the actor was actually fed by the special effects crew, and if it was even made delicious to help with his orgasmic performance."

A lot of grossout scenes in films I am able to mentally guard against by remembering the creativity of the giggling grown-up schoolboys & girls who physically make that stuff.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 20, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Beard Hunter is the best new character DC Universe has adapted!

I sure hope we haven't seen the last of him, as he's about to get beat up by the deer god..

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anyone in here not watching Happy! needs to literally get with the loving program.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Anyone in here not watching Happy! needs to literally get with the loving program.

I actually forgot it was Morrison and you guys sold me. One of his books I never read, too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was probably the best "wow they really did that" comic book show until Doom Patrol. Even even then, it really sets it's own bar.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Another recent 'wow they really did that' show for me was Ash Vs. The Evil Dead.

Real sad that got cancelled before it should have, but MAN what a run.

But yeah, there's a lot of 'oh wow, I can't believe they got away with doing that' stuff in it that takes liberties with gross-out & gore that outdo even the original trilogy.

Binary Badger posted:

Beard Hunter is the best new character DC Universe has adapted!

I sure hope we haven't seen the last of him, as he's about to get beat up by the deer god..

Honestly Beard Hunter deserves to be his own recurring anti-hero with a much longer run beyond this show.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for the next episode, "Frances Patrol." Looks like another bottle episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsSwawZCFs

Bonus: Five minute interview with Brandon Fraser on the Today Show. Imagine a show that actually makes Brandon's kids think he's cool, when Air Heads, Encino Man, and The Mummy don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBGQmprX2E

Spacedad posted:

Honestly Beard Hunter deserves to be his own recurring anti-hero with a much longer run beyond this show.

Mmmmm, nah. I couldn't stand him in more constant doses than what we got. Especially if it has to bring us to West Seneca, NY each time.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 22, 2019

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Binary Badger posted:

Mmmmm, nah. I couldn't stand him in more constant doses than what we got. Especially if it has to bring us to West Seneca, NY each time.
Agree it was about the right amount - though I do look forward to, based on the way things have been nicely entangled so far, the season finale wherein Beard Hunter, Animal Vegetable Mineral Man and Admiral Whiskers team up.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Binary Badger posted:

Trailer for the next episode, "Frances Patrol." Looks like another bottle episode?

Concepts like "bottle episode" do not apply to this show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< For the better part of two episodes now, Larry's been passed out on the floor. It's no wonder he's always so negative! OTOH could be a convenient Halloween costume for someone planning to do a bit of drinking.

Aside from that, every new episode is my new favourite episode. And now we sort of know how Caulder hasn't aged in 100+ years. Makes him scarier IMO. Dalton is so great as a narrator and story-teller.

And I have to repeat, Vic's dad did him no favours with the way the Cyborg tech was applied if he can't even control his own prosthetics. Whose side is Silas Stone on anyway.

What, were you expecting the gross-out scene gif? And speaking of characters

Caulder: Finally, I'd begun to understand the nature of that creature I had found. And then, in a single moment, I realized I understood...nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah Happy! is a good show.

Evil sadistic child-kidnapper incapacitates and ties up the show's "hero", Nick Sax.

quote:

Smoothie: I'm going to remove your penis… in thin slices… like salami, just for starters.
Nick Sax: That’s going to take you a long time… if you know what I mean. He knows what I mean.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 22, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Does anyone know the name of the "it's all in your head" music?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One of the tropes of the original comics DP was that their enemies tended to band together; since they seem to be trying to follow the spirit of the Morrison DP, which in turn was the only DP that followed the spirit of the original DP, maybe we'll get that team-up.

We're more than halfway through the freshman season and we haven't seen:

Garguax
Mr. 103
General Immortus
The Brain
Monsieur Mallah

The writers may have decided these guys are too 60's to pull off, but I would be fine if even one of these guys shows up as a throwaway reference or in-joke somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You don't use all the villains in season 1, that's just making a show 101.