Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Use burner inserts and they won't need any additional power to start back up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

necrotic posted:

Use burner inserts and they won't need any additional power to start back up!

I know, but I'm exceedingly lazy and I didn't feel like making any. Besides I needed the power for the roboport and I built it right next to a robo-port line which has power right there.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The current game start text seems to be a bit more vague, but i seem to remember at one point it explicitly said the goal is to launch a satellite to laser the biters from orbit. Am i misremembering?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I thought the old story was you were using the rocket to contact someone to rescue you. Maybe I dreamed this.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The story was to use a Rocket Defense to clear a safe zone for a colony ship to land. The story has been obviated with the loss of the Rocket Defense "structure", now you are launching a rocket to Win The Game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sillybones posted:

I thought the old story was you were using the rocket to contact someone to rescue you. Maybe I dreamed this.

No, that was the story. The premise was that you crashed and had to contact your friends but could only do it with a satellite in orbit.

Turned out that's not what the game was actually about.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

factorio is about an allegory of imperialism and genocide

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

comedyblissoption posted:

factorio is about an allegory of imperialism and genocide

When describing this game to people, I always explain the Biters as ‘basically eco-terrorists’.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I just cut to the chase and say "you play as a captain planet villain"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I refer to Factorio and the other factory-building games as "Reverse Fern Gully Simulator."

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Terraform, verb: to make earthlike

That is, to pave all vegetation, blacken the skies with smog, and eradicate all wildlife

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Obama 2012 posted:

When describing this game to people, I always explain the Biters as ‘basically eco-terrorists’.

Who are you explaining it to, the Koch brothers?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I had a genuine Starship Troopers moment last night. I have been outposting over the past week trying to carve out a suitable area for an extended base. This entails going on a trip with a supply train and placing rail until I'm surrounded by biters. I then stamp down an outpost blueprint with walls, lasers, robots, and a train stop for artillery. I'm so far from my base at this point that I'll often need 800 artillery rounds to scrub the frontier of life. I have been doing this frequently so I have it down to a science where I just make the outpost, schedule an artillery train stop and then ride my supply train to the next stop.

I have been in this routine for several days but disaster finally struck. I had recently built an outpost and was continuing on with my expedition while listening to the usual chirps of combat notifications when things started getting destroyed en masse. I clicked on the icon to see what the problem was and zoomed in on the trouble only to find the area was obscured due to lack of radar coverage. The filthy bugs had managed to cut the power!

I hurried to the troubled location in my supply train, which was several minutes away by this point. As I neared the location, my train of 2 engines and 8 cars smashed head-on into a large pack of biters, coming to a dead stop. Apparently trains can't run over 4 dozen biters! Anyway, they made quick work of my supply train and swiftly murdered me. I respawned and hurried back, hoping I could salvage something. By the time I returned, the biters had moved on to the outpost so I was able to recover my body with little trouble. From here, I proceeded on foot to my now silent outpost to see what could be salvaged.

I should have taken a screenshot at this point but I was completely taken aback and it didn't occur to me. There were hundreds of the slimy beasts roaming around the remains of a once beautiful complex of steel and concrete. I had never seen such a large grouping before and it was a real sight to see them inhabit the ruins they just created. Anyway, the outpost was unsalvageable by this point so I proceeded to unload a full clip of nukes on the beasts; instantly erasing their existence and restoring an order that can only be made possible by machinery.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 18, 2019

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Finally, after 140h I have reached logistics chests in Seablock and the world is now my oyster. MAN that took forever but god what a huge upgrade.

Time to spend a few hours designing a mall to eat up every resource I made so far and death spiral my island :honked:

I literally handcrafted 100 yellow science just to get them finally, still only automated through purple as of yet. They were moved behind yellow in .17 Seablock right because every video I've seen seems to have them WAY sooner than I did and I feel like I've been doing pretty well in terms of progression but I definitely can't automate yellow science yet. Resin is also becoming an annoyance now with need for rubber, the cycle never ends it seems with Seablock.

I have a shitload of lead ore also, any good things to be doing with it? Probably just going to end up making brass or something with lead as a cut but I have like multiple warehouses full and a full line of plates and barely anything requires lead. Can't even use it for pipes or something marginally useful from what I can tell.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2019

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I once described factorio's story as the b-plot of a DS9 episode where O'Brien got stranded on a planet and I haven't been able to get that idea out of my head.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Reverend Dr posted:

I once described factorio's story as the b-plot of a DS9 episode where O'Brien got stranded on a planet and I haven't been able to get that idea out of my head.

...and now I want a mod where you're building a shuttlecraft from scratch instead of a rocket.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Evilreaver posted:

Terraform, verb: to make earthlike

That is, to pave all vegetation, blacken the skies with smog, and eradicate all wildlife

Color our world blackened. Blackened.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
First base since 0.15. Got inspired by some youtube videos to NOT go for a grand bus design at the start, to instead focus on the getting a small, crappy base that can do 1 red / green science per second as fast as possible. Then decided to add blue and black to that, though it was not quite as well organized.

Anyway I have some tightly compressed spaghetti here, which got me to blue science just after the 6 hour mark, which I think is a first for me and I'm pretty happy with it. Soon, building the real base begins...

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Love the way that looks and how it even includes the smelting in such a small package. Busses are nice but I just love when you can fit everything super tightly together and have exactly enough room for what you need, I like to do city blocks style builds but most of them end up bunched together in the upper left corner of the block like this so I can definitely appreciate it.

One tip, you can have inserters pull science out of one lab and into another, so you can chain like 3-4 off of each one that actually gets fed off the belt. They will only pass 2 packs at a time so it won't like drain all your science into a buffer or anything. Might be useful when you expand beyond this setup and need to fit in more sciences..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have been chasing the 'lowest' production science recently by watching the graphs in the production screen and making adjustments. After lots of work and not seeing any change at all, I finally realized to my chagrin that the colors on the graph do NOT correspond to the colors of the science pack like my stupid brain just assumed. Oops.

Current bottleneck is once again steel... I have a small train bringing in steel and I can look at the production graph over 10 minutes and see a massive pendulum on production science (purple) based on the arrivals of loads of steel from that train. I need to add enough off-site steel smelters to keep a train in the unloading station continuously, or somehow add another giant steel smelter at the base and bring in the mats for it, whichever.

It's crazy how much space and iron ore it takes to make even 2 blue lines of steel (I'm nowhere near keeping 2 blue lines full).

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Expensive mode on a trainworld with pretty small resource size is a bitch. We finally got our "churning out all researches" base going and just as we started to kick off Real Smelting for the Grownup Base With Bus all of our resources started running dry, so now we're into the 3rd or 4th ring of expansions on an ever growing train network.

Fun as hell but you can never actually get ahead of your consumption. We're mostly researched though at least so we can turn off sciences for a while.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My current goal is to build a rail network that moves relatively few different materials. I just finished setting up the science outpost which takes in Iron, Copper, Steel, Stone, Coal and Crude Oil, and everything else is created at the outpost from those base materials.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have a single assembler 3 without modules making nuclear fuel for my reactors, and once I got it set up and made sure it was working and wasn't going to run out of anything (i.e. making sure the kovarex would keep up without any problem) I've pretty much ignored it as I've gone about puttering with my factory. The output side of the assembler sends the fuel into the logistics network so that the robots can keep the reactors fueled.

Today I set up my 3rd nuclear plant (2x5) bringing me up to 30 reactors, so I thought I should check to make sure that I had plenty of fuel... I saw how much fuel was in the network, broke out the calculator and... if I stopped producing anything right now, all 30 reactors would run 24 hours a day for the next 58 days before running out of fuel... lol..

One interesting thing I noticed was that I was completely out of the U-238. Every single bit was being consumed by either the production of nuclear ammo for my defense turrets, or by the production of fuel or the Kovarex process. Of course since that's simply not acceptable I moduled all my centrifuges and doubled their numbers. :v:

The biter villages are so huge now that manually wiping them out with artillery has gotten ridiculously time consuming, so I don't even bother unless I am planning to expand into their area now. I just let the artillery handle it when they spawn into the automatic range.

I really should start over and try to make a more organized factory that could be expanded, and build a good organized rail network, but for some reason I just keep going back to this one. I've now got 168 hours into this factory, which is my 2nd. Science production isn't steady, but seems to want to bottom out now at 375 science per minute, as I've continued to shore up whichever one is weakest, but now I'm back to yellow which is a pain in the butt. Need to source more iron now as it's failing and causing my green circuits to sputter.

Edit: Speaking of robots, I have a couple of questions.

1) How do you set up robot production to automatically insert into the network? Directly inserting them into a robo-port is fine except that they fill up at 350 robots and then unless something demands those robots leave, they just sit there and no more are produced.

2) What's the best way to get repair packs distributed into robo-ports all throughout the network (like along the walls)? Do I have to put in buffer chests all over the place to distribute them, or is there some way to get robots to carry the packs around and keep some in all the robo-ports?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 20, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Some people like sticking with factories you've put a lot of work in. Some will start a new one at the drop of the hat (that's me). Obviously not nescessary in the case of your nuclear fuel, but for any resources that could cause issue if they suddenly run out without you knowing you can hook either a chest or even just the belt itself to a speaker that sounds an alarm when it drops below a certain level.

The Locator posted:

1) How do you set up robot production to automatically insert into the network? Directly inserting them into a robo-port is fine except that they fill up at 350 robots and then unless something demands those robots leave, they just sit there and no more are produced.

If you add the roboports to a logistic system and switch on "read robot statistics" they output stats to do with how many robots of each kind are in the system and how many are available. Output robot production to plain iron chests, limited if you want, this is your "buffer" to make sure they continue to be produced. Insert into a roboport from there with the inserter controlled by one of the roboport ourputs (ie only in insert construction robots if avalable construction robots is less than 10 or something along those lines) .

For me:

The requester chests are to grab any that end up in storage. The inserters taking from the robot factories are controlled by how many are in the box (my buffer). The inserters into the roboport are controlled by the statistics output from the roboport.

quote:

2) What's the best way to get repair packs distributed into robo-ports all throughout the network (like along the walls)? Do I have to put in buffer chests all over the place to distribute them, or is there some way to get robots to carry the packs around and keep some in all the robo-ports?

Buffer chests seem to work pretty well for me. Direct inserting into roboports always seems to cause problems as robots will take from there to fulfill logistic request (I think) so you can end up with some logistic loops.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 20, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can improve that by adding filtered inserters that take construction bots from the port that receives logistics bots (and vice versa) and puts them into (active) provider chests.
This will make sure the insertion of one type of bots isn't blocked by bots of the opposite type resting in the port. It also limits your maximum robot count to less then what fits into your ports.

If it is a low traffic network --like a support base-- you might limit the extracting inserters to only work if there are more then a few bots available, otherwise you get strange loops.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

To avoid filling up the 'ports you're feeding new bots into, periodically task out your entire logistics or construction network.

The first time I got a factory to the point where I was automatically inserting bots into the network, I would slap down 4-5 blueprinted requester chests set to max concrete and feeding into 4 steel chests with stack inserters. Once all were full, swap every chest for Storage and throw down 4-500,000 tiles of blueprinted concrete and several clusters of roboports, probably before leaving to set up some outposts.

Initial fill tasks out logistics, the build tasks out construction. It will take an hour or so for 1-2 assemblers of a robot type to fill up the insertion port, by which time I would be back with 2-3 more mining outposts ready to deliver to the railhead. Got up to like 16k logistics and 28k construction that way and it's the closest I've ever gotten to paving the world.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finally started to decentralize some of my base in my current game. Now I have separate smelting stations that take in trains of ore, and will output trains full of iron/copper/steel. So one set of trains go from the ore outposts to the smelting outposts, and other trains go from the smelting outposts to the main base.

The trains are all 3 locomotive 8 cargo. I pull a belt from each side of each cargo wagon, so 16 belts. Every time something goes into or comes off a train, it goes though a 16 to 16 balancer.

I might go and make my own little rail blueprint book for personal use, as all of the ones I've tried so far have little annoyances. I always find it the most fun to make my own stuff in this game anyway.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

I might go and make my own little rail blueprint book for personal use, as all of the ones I've tried so far have little annoyances. I always find it the most fun to make my own stuff in this game anyway.

I'm generally terrible with signaling so I have been using these blueprint books and they're pretty good. The spacing is real tight but it overuses big electric poles. The stations are pretty large but it's meant to reduce traffic jams. The only major downside is that there's no 4 way intersections. I searched around for intersections and I found a thread on the Factorio forums with dozens of 4 ways but they were all awful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
4 way intersections are inherently terrible, you're better off putting 3-way intersections next to each other. Also those are some beautiful train layouts and way more robust than what I'm using.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

I'm generally terrible with signaling so I have been using these blueprint books and they're pretty good. The spacing is real tight but it overuses big electric poles. The stations are pretty large but it's meant to reduce traffic jams. The only major downside is that there's no 4 way intersections. I searched around for intersections and I found a thread on the Factorio forums with dozens of 4 ways but they were all awful.
Appreciate the train book link. I've been checking it out and it is good enough that I'll probably just switch over to 1/4 trains, since that seems to be what it is optimized for. Goodbye 3/8 trains.

I just went ahead and made a 'main base' type dropoff station meant to mesh with the pieces in that blueprint book. It uses the book's onramp and offramp pieces.

https://pastebin.com/2DyeehcS

Each train output is fed into a 100% throughput 8 to 8. The dimensions of this particular 8 to 8 are actually beneficial here.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 21, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

For my next factory I think I'm going to have to be serious about setting up an actual organized rail layout and using something like the Vanilla Train Network rather than the horrible spaghetti of stations, tracks, and dedicated trains that I'm running in this one. I'm simply running out of room for more stations to bring in more stuff, and short of tearing out my entire rail network and rebuilding from scratch, there isn't really a way to fix it. Not enough room to scale up the bus or to scale up the smelting either. Smelting is fine to do off-site, but no room to put it in the bus, so need to feed it from the other end, but then I wherever I select as the 'other end' would limit my expansion again.

I think I'm going to have to go YT searching and find some true mega-bases and see how they are organized and do a lot of thinking before starting factory #3.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There was an attempt.

Intended as a temporary setup to get blue science, which kind of spiraled out of control as I just plunked down whatever I needed in the same place, then realized I had the run the train tracks right through it.

edit: And I just realized I built my refinery without easy access to water.. Guess I'll have to train water in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have bugs!

The edge of the red corresponds to the automatic range of my artillery. It's pointless to try to clear an area outside of that line, because they just immediately repopulate it, so my system for pushing my walls out now is to push short sections making sure they are completely armed before allowing the new section of artillery to have ammo, rinse-repeat. The wall defenses can stop any push I've seen even without the wall, which is good since I often get attacked from the wrong side when building the defenses when expanding.

Today I added a rail line that runs all the way around the perimeter, I use it for my expansion allowing me to get lots more building materials out to where I'm working, and it's much faster to go back and get more stuff if I need to with a rocket fuel powered train. My parking spot has 8 buffer chests with all the stuff I use to build the walls so I can just zoom back and refill on everything and then head back out.

I found a 75 million ore deposit on this last expansion (and following manual artillery exploration), but it's quite a ways out into the sea of red, and I have plenty inside my new defense line for now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I have a question. I pretty much use my own blueprints for everything except balancers, which are arcane wizardry to me. I only ever use balancers for train loading and unloading ever since priority splitters fell from heaven. When do I need to care about whether a balancer is throughput limited or not? Do I need to care at all?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You need to care if any of your output lines can back up, it can cause some input lines to back up as well. This is important if you are unloading from train stations, which can get stuck if a car isn't unloading due to the backup.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancer_mechanics#Throughput

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Guess I need to scour the net for the best unlimited balancers then. I downloaded the belt balancer tool to verify function and throughput.
https://github.com/d4rkc0d3r/FactorioSimulation/releases

A lot of the balancers that people post don't actually work right, are output limited, or are unnecessarily large.

The standard 4 to 4 balancer everybody has used is indeed full throughput. No reason to use too much else. I find I don't have too much use for 4 to 4 balancers any more after priority splitters. After all, trains are mostly going to output 8 or 16 lanes depending on the size.

Looking at 8 to 8 balancers, I found two of interest. One came from here. Not the original post, but RedditNamesAreShort in the comments (who made the balancer analyzer tool as well).
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/6evxn8/8_to_8_inline_balancer_full_throughput_8x18/

He only posted a picture of his balancer though, and not the actual blueprint. I recreated it from the picture, and tested it in the tool. It does seem to be the smallest full throughput 8x8 I've been able to find.
https://pastebin.com/TU0ayWBd
code:
Loading a 8 to 8 balancer with dimensions 17x8 and 20 splitters
Output balance: 8/8
Input balance: 8/8
Throughput under full load: 100%
Min Throughput with all combinations: 100%
The other worthwhile seeming unlimited 8 to 8 I found was this one, also by RedditNamesAreShort (is this guy some sort of wizard?). It isn't inline, but has a two tile gap in the center. It is two 15x10, so slightly more square. I actually really like this one.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/a65wwz/88_throughput_unlimited_2_gap_balancer_10x15_tiles/

It also tests as being full throughput.
code:
Loading a 8 to 8 balancer with dimensions 10x15 and 20 splitters
Output balance: 8/8
Input balance: 8/8
Min Throughput with all combinations: 100%
For 16 to 16, I the two-gap in belka's balancer book is neat. It is nearly square, and tests full throughput. I don't think it is as optimized in size as ReddNamesAreShort's gapped 8 by 8 though.
https://gist.github.com/Bilka2/aeec4ff7123ff5544cb9a80cf1046a06
code:
Loading a 16 to 16 balancer with dimensions 26x24 and 56 splitters
Output balance: 16/16
Input balance: 16/16
Min Throughput with two belts: 100%
The actual most compact full throughput inline 16 to 16 seems to be this one. I haven't been able to find anything better.
https://factorioprints.com/view/-KtY4yWQFzZb06O6oIi6
code:
Loading a 16 to 16 balancer with dimensions 29x16 and 56 splitters
Output balance: 16/16
Input balance: 16/16
Min Throughput with two belts: 100%

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 23, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Guess I need to scour the net for the best unlimited balancers then.

The actual most compact full throughput inline 16 to 16 seems to be this one. I haven't been able to find anything better.
https://factorioprints.com/view/-KtY4yWQFzZb06O6oIi6

These things are truly arcane wizardry to me.. I just use blueprints I find on the net for all my balancers, but these ones are friggin' huge!

Never really noticed that all the smaller ones I've been using aren't 100% throughput.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The 8 and 16 balancers seem like the most useful, as most trains are either 4 or 8 wagons, pulling two blue belts off each wagon.

You can very easily pull three blue belts off a wagon, evenly from all the chests. The problem is balancing it afterward. With 4 wagons that means you have 12 belts, and with 8 wagons it means 24 belts. In either case. you don't have a power or 2. I think you could just loop back four belts in a full throughput 16 to 16 to make a full throughput 12 to 12.

You actually can pull four blue belts off of each wagon with some splitter tricksery. That makes balancing no problem. All of the solutions I've seen will pull from the chests unevenly though, which isn't particularly desiriable. See the following.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/avfk21/belt_loading_tricks_with_the_new_017_belt_speed/
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/ayj5i5/more_on_belt_unloaders_in_017/

quote:

The "splitter trick" is arranging a stack inserter to drop items onto a splitter from the side (not the back or front), and then combing the two outputs from the splitter (either all on the same lane, or on both lanes). Image example. It allows the inserter to drop items onto the belt more quickly, because it's effectively dropping items onto both splitter inputs. Quantitatively, the period of an inserter dropping onto a plain belt is 52 ticks, but dropping onto the prioritized side of a splitter is only 37 ticks. (Non-prioritized splitters used to be 40 when I wrote the OP, but I'm seeing 38 in my timing sandbox map right now, so... ¯\(ツ)/¯) The splitter trick allows filling a belt with only 3 inserters.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 23, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
An often-overlooked consideration for balancers is aesthetic.

Bottom: 4x4 belt balancer
Top: 4x4 belt and lane balancer

The lane balancer is theoretically subject to a slight throughput limitation but you basically have to be pulling only from one side of all the outputs and only loading the opposite side of all the inputs to have a problem with that.

The priority splitter parts are replacing some snaking belts with a single splitter in the middle, because the gaps in the belt were unsightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I prefer the traditional 4x4 to that monstrosity. The gaps are aesthetically pleasing to me.