Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Stkilda are the most woodwork team in the AFL

Supporters don't exist then suddenly my social media blows up with OMG SAINTS YASSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

Stkilda are the most woodwork team in the AFL

Supporters don't exist then suddenly my social media blows up with OMG SAINTS YASSSSSS

iirc, during 2009-2010 the Saints had the highest H&A average attendance of any team and there's some survey data showing that they have a similar amount of people that support them as the Tigers. Something like 20% of AFL club supporters along the bay from StKilda to Frankston are Saints fans.

The triple GF defeat really put a dent in the collective spirit of Saints fans but I reckon that there's a lot more of them than people expect. If the club can can play some good footy then I think the membership numbers will go nuts (now that our off-field is doing half decent).

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I mean I don't post a lot while deep in football depression (see: last year) so I can see why

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Feels good to be a Sainta.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClarkyHeraldSun/status/1119532609007050753?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

:smith:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Pretty disgusting of Jesse Hogan to use home sickness as a reason to leave a struggling club to chase success with Freo imo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

iirc, during 2009-2010 the Saints had the highest H&A average attendance of any team and there's some survey data showing that they have a similar amount of people that support them as the Tigers. Something like 20% of AFL club supporters along the bay from StKilda to Frankston are Saints fans.

The triple GF defeat really put a dent in the collective spirit of Saints fans but I reckon that there's a lot more of them than people expect. If the club can can play some good footy then I think the membership numbers will go nuts (now that our off-field is doing half decent).

Had we had a period of success in the last 20 years AND had the club had a good admin we would be pushing 80k members without an issue right now. But being wasteful is a StKilda trait so here we are.

I really feel for him. Injury is one thing but to suddenly just "whack, your heart is a bit iffy" must be loving hard to swallow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SAINTERS!!!!

it's not just the record (with the one loss being incredibly close to also-maybe-good Freo out in Perth) but it's how they're playing. They've gotten over the line showing more grit than in the past couple years, and today showed the control running over the top a team. They're committed and not shooting themselves in the foot, I'd be happy even if we were 2-3 after the performances last year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

harperdc posted:

SAINTERS!!!!

it's not just the record (with the one loss being incredibly close to also-maybe-good Freo out in Perth) but it's how they're playing. They've gotten over the line showing more grit than in the past couple years, and today showed the control running over the top a team. They're committed and not shooting themselves in the foot, I'd be happy even if we were 2-3 after the performances last year.

Yeah, the system is standing up even when part of the plan isn't working. Eg today when the Dees were destroying us around the contest in the 1st and 2nd and had a shitload of i50s, we gave up very little on the scoreboard. It's even better considering the players we don't have playing in Carlisle, Robo and Hanners along with an out-of-form/fitness Steven playing.

Saints have got a real hard few weeks coming up - Crows, GWS, Eagles and Pies. Crows are struggling at the moment but the other 3 will be a serious test. If they can pick up 2 wins from those while not getting beaten badly in the others, then poo poo will start getting real and the hype train will well and truly have left the station.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

cmndstab posted:

They were never good, it was just that the Crows' hubris of having Melbourne's first round selection last year temporarily overrode Melbourne's natural awfulness.

The only thing worse than Melbourne footy club is the beach

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Shmoses posted:

Melbourne supporter's hate sand. It's really hard for the boy down the country club to vacuum out of the liner of the Range Rover. Plus they can never get it on the green from there.

*Bob Hope swing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The skills in that Dees vs Saints match was loving awful

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

You drat goon

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 20, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Good work ethic from the Saints got big rewards, haven't seen that kind of tenacity from them in a while.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Melbourne supporter's hate sand. It's really hard for the boy down the country club to vacuum out of the liner of the Range Rover. Plus they can never get it on the green from there.

*Bob Hope swing

however, looks like the Dees have got the flop shot down pretty good right now

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Ben Brown is a quality dude https://twitter.com/7afl/status/1119174069809598464?s=21

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne all below Carlton on the ladder.

Okay.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's loving impossible to get a reliable tip this season

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Wha-

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
AFL 2019 - ~LEtS gEt WhAcKY~

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ton up on the siren :toot:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

monolithburger posted:

AFL 2019 - ~LEtS gEt WhAcKY~
I hold to the theory that Richmond 2017 pierced through the Veil of Reality and into the world came Chaos.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

I hold to the theory that Richmond 2017 pierced through the Veil of Reality and into the world came Chaos.

Then why are Melbourne still awful :crossarms:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
YEAH THE loving BOYS

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Walsh on the siren to seal it.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The first goal in Adelaide vs Gold Coast has arrived, courtesy of a shot after the quarter time siren

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If you want to watch a great game of football between two good sides, don't watch this one. Neither Adelaide nor the suns appear to have anything approaching a game plan, and I'm preparing a cannon to fire the hopeless Adelaide assistant coaches into the ocean.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
So, rain or just bad football?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

monolithburger posted:

So, rain or just bad football?

No rain, bad football.

EDDIEBETTS though

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the Adelaide Crows are Back

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No the suns are just really bad. Charity goal there though, kick went over the lead and despite no one under even making contact with each other he paid in the back, and then let them retake the shot after missing the advantage shot at goal.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
See to me it looks like the Gold Coast Suns are back

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

No the suns are just really bad. Charity goal there though, kick went over the lead and despite no one under even making contact with each other he paid in the back, and then let them retake the shot after missing the advantage shot at goal.

they're Back.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Everyone has won.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

EDDIEBETTS

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just got watch the last quarter of the Freo GWS game after having to duck out at 3QT while watching it live :discourse:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Footy good.

It is nice to win at least once every 9 months, hope I don't have to wait as long for the next one.

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/1119818139884081153

wow, port, swans and saints on notice here

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So what's the go with harry mckay,? Last I checked he was still a project player

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He is a very good big boy.

Has only played 20 games and missed a year to injury plus had an interrupted year last season, has finally had a proper pre-season and bulked up, now he's clunking marks and a contested marking machine.

Sadly, has a few small things to work on:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1119817719044403200

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 21, 2019

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
don't forget blues for the flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Everyone has won.

Haha, it only took five rounds to get it, too.

Eddie Betts with another contender for the Eddie Betts award:

https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/status/1119889920040951808

Wasn't a "true" Eddie special though because this one actually stayed in play, haha. Geez, the commentators were happy with it too.

He overtakes Stephen Milne now on the goalscoring tally.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 21, 2019