Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

If someone modded in some giant italian plumber costumes to the ruins in obedience Kenshi would make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After my pack of escaped slaves struggled along in the Hub for a bit trying to make an honest living, I realized this was bullshit and just had my two fastest runners execute a series of smash and grabs at Stack and return loaded down with food every few days til we were all bloated.

Meanwhile I set up a storm house in Vain between Stack and the Hive village as a potential new base. The Hub's been useful but now I need space to build stuff.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

After my pack of escaped slaves struggled along in the Hub for a bit trying to make an honest living, I realized this was bullshit and just had my two fastest runners execute a series of smash and grabs at Stack and return loaded down with food every few days til we were all bloated.

Meanwhile I set up a storm house in Vain between Stack and the Hive village as a potential new base. The Hub's been useful but now I need space to build stuff.

Crime pays!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Synthbuttrange stole 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens and that's terrible.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Started another game of my cheaty martial artist start (The first one got dodge-locked and chipped to death trying to solo like ten beak things). Started as a skeleton, spawned in Ghost Village. Never been there before, but I knew I'd need to go around the Holy Nation to get anywhere interesting. Figured I'd go find Black Desert City. Before I got there, I found that squad of malfunctioning protector bots and thought "Well, I can't go to Black Desert City now, I actually like those guys. ...But Bad Teeth is within striking distance. :getin:"

While my lovable green-pantsed idiots were focusing on the gate guards, I ducked into the barracks, found Inquisitor Tovas, and punched him. It actually took a couple punches to down him, high-grade holy plate is no joke. So I had a dude with a 20,000 bounty on my shoulder (And a 10,000 bounty on my own head, but big whoop) and no desire to go be buddies with the Shek again. I do that every game. So I hauled a bleeding paladin through the Black Desert Wasteland? (Acid rain not really helping his wounds), a bit of Shem, and all the way across Venge (Directly through the path of a beam at one point :supaburn:) and The Eye before reaching Heng.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just started this game yesterday and got blown up by a Venge sunstrike for the first time. Not even going to save scum I think it's great my band of test subjects got obliterated.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I didn't realize you could actually purchase land in certain Holy Nation farms. This is a big game-changer in my no-save playthrough. Only downside about Holy Nation is that two of the free recruits the game hands you are Skeletons, and Burns tower comes with a fair amount of free poo poo that can help boost your early-game economy.

For anyone interested in following what I'm trying to do, I've been doing the Wanderer start (slave starts feel too easy), getting Hobbs, immediately running down to Squin for Ruka, then going up to the Holy Nation zone. The area right above the Hub near Stack is filled to the absolute brim with Bone Dogs, which I run into town for leather and enough food that I don't need to spend money. Once I have enough cash for a backpack, I've been going on recruitment trips to Burn's Tower, but my last two games have ended in the Fogland. I think I need to buy a plot of land for storage in the Holy Farms so I can drop off all my equipment and just make a run for Mongrel, there's three free recruits there and also Wingwang for cheap, and I want a reasonably-sized party before I start doing significant stat training. The Police Station in Squin has level three melee attack training dummies on the second floor which you can use so long as you stop when someone walks past. In the same way that being in a cage has a ton of stealth, there's a weird section of the Police Station inside Stack, upstairs and outside by the cages, where you'll get a ton of Stealth EXP if you stand on one specific spot and walk over it over and over. From there you can just try to lead some bandits into town and have the guards arrest them to boost Assassination, and from there you're pretty well on your way to getting enough gear to allow you to fight enemies without risk of dying

e: throw all strategies out the door I've pioneered a hot new powerleveling method. If you put a prisoner on a fogman sacrifice pike, it summons 1-2 princes, 2~ heavies, and like 4 fogmen, most people know this. Turns out, Princes and Heavies actually have really high stats...but when they're eating a prisoner, none of the units summoned by that event will interact with you so long as you don't attack them first. If you can manage to draw some of the Mongrel town guards (or hire two batches of mercenaries), they'll kill any fogmen not a part of this group so your entire party can gain insane amounts of Stealth EXP. After like five minutes real-time my whole squad had 30 stealth and 40+ assassination because if you tell your whole squad to KO someone, everyone will get the hit off and get EXP even if one of them manages to succeed. Then you can just steal the Prince head for 6k cats. I'm on day 7 with 80k cats, I've been doing this for like one in-game day and also a squad of ninja runners. The only downside to this is you need to sacrifice someone which is obviously going to lower your relationship significantly with that fa-haha just kidding you can just put fogmen on the pike to infinitely summon princes, they'll still eat them.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 21, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

haha just kidding you can just put fogmen on the pike to infinitely summon princes, they'll still eat them.

:stare: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Well, infinitely is a little misleading. There's one limit on how many princes you can summon, and that limit is caused by the game completely disabling you from picking up any more bodies after you've glitched hosed up the coding by creating several hundred fogmen corpses. There's actually a group of Undertakers who will burn fogmen corpses within a certain distance of the town and not even they could keep up

saving/quitting/reloading fixes the issue but if you cleared the yard by killing all nearby fogmen you'll have to find another one

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Can you completely wipe out the fogmen?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Can you completely wipe out the fogmen?

Nah, there's no fogman supreme commander to take down, and killing/imprisoning an individual is actually the only way you can change worldstates in the game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Killing the Southern Queen, however, will either cause the Fogmen to invade their former territory or cause all Southern Hivers to turn into Fogmen. The jury is still out on that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'm having an issue where I suddenly can't enter my bughouse. Especially frustrating because a ton of my crafting buildings are in there. Any way to fix the issue?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I'm having an issue where I suddenly can't enter my bughouse. Especially frustrating because a ton of my crafting buildings are in there. Any way to fix the issue?

Ctrl shift f11 not working on resetting the navmesh?

If that doesn't work try an import

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Standard three-step procedure:

Step 1: Press Shift-F12 to open the editor. In there, press "fix things." This will get rid of duplicate entries and clipping issues. Leave menu by pressing Exit.

Step 2: Press Ctrl-Shift-F11 to regenerate the navigation mesh. This will fix pathfinding if the problem comes from the game forgetting which ground can be walked on.

Step 3 (optional): Go to the main menu and import your game. Make sure to tick all the boxes so that your squad, your research and your buildings will be taken along. Do this only if step one and two didn't fix it already.

If this doesn't help, you can't really do much except to tear down the building and make a new one. It should, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

save/load always fixed it for me

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
tinfist and his gang don't actually want you to deliver slaver nobles to them do they? they just want you to kill them right?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tabletops posted:

tinfist and his gang don't actually want you to deliver slaver nobles to them do they? they just want you to kill them right?

I think they'll take Longen and maybe one other noble. If you're already down by their base, the skin bandits are in the neighborhood :getin:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I think they'll take Longen and maybe one other noble. If you're already down by their base, the skin bandits are in the neighborhood :getin:

If I don't kill them outright and somehow did not inflict fatal wounds, I just feed them to some beak things or drop them in acid. Can also just put them in a cage and forget about them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've bought all the small houses in Mongrel and put people whom I want to disappear in the cages I built within said houses. Even if they get out, they've got the Fogmen ahead of them :unsmigghh:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Goddamit. I had a good run, but then I decided to set up shop on fishman isle because I could reliably kick their rear end. And then they just never stopped coming and I didn't get walls up in time and now I'm 3/4 down and badly injured when a fresh wave shows up and starts fighting some crabs on top of me.

Time to give slave start a go I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did you kill the Gurgler King first? I think there's a lot less that way.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2019

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

The Lone Badger posted:

Did you kill the Gurgler King first? I think there's a lot less that way.

i built a southern base that was getting raided by the fishmen constantly. Once I killed the King Gurglefuck, no more raids at all.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I carted fishman supreme up to Catun, alive and intact, and the police chief told me that he's running a jail, not a zoo, and I should just sell the head

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of amazing to me that for all the time I've been playing this game, I've never actually gone to places like Fish Island, or the Bug Master's Tower. There's still so much left of this game for me to see.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh mannnnn

I'm not sure if any of my saves would allow me to recover. Oh well, starting w slaves and i'm already at stealth 50 so i might just stick with my hive prince/greenlander buddy cop run.

Rejected by the queen! Turned away from Okran! Together, they will ko every other slave until they can knock out the guards!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The slavery start should be renamed into Ninja Summer Camp.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The physics engine in this game can lead to some very amusing situations. Especially when people on the ground get punched by highly skilled martial artists

You'll often see legs or arms fly into the atmosphere before they come back down. That's funny but also fuckin metal. I mean punching so hard that you rip a limb off which then bounces up into the sky...

But on rare occasions you'll also see people bouncing away after being punched into the ground

This fella almost lost a leg, got knocked out, bounced into the sky, and woke up again mid flight before hitting the ground

I let them live because dang that's one hell of a story to tell

And this one isn't related to punching but it's still funny to see people get launched into the air while a group in heavy armor just meatgrinders through a bunch of idiots

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I kind of want to build up a Kung fu dude because the idea of role-playing Fist of the North Star sounds awesome.

But I heard it takes a long time to get good with them.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Panfilo posted:

I kind of want to build up a Kung fu dude because the idea of role-playing Fist of the North Star sounds awesome.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796807327 5x EXP for the Kenshi player on the go!

Seriously, I like this mod. Makes starting games a little quicker. You'll be punching arms off in no time at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Also, I've had a really hard time building up my combat skills out in the great desert. Skimmers are everywhere and they'll murder the gently caress out you if they spot you. I've survived by cowering and hiding, scavenging off the dead when they rip through patrols of manhunters. I've heard starving bandits and outlaw farmers are pretty weak, but there's never just one of them.

I'm trying to get a hashish operation going because even just selling to the ninjas in sho battai is good money and I've heard the hiver traders will buy it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

skimmers are dope toughness training, they don't cleave so you can have them focus one dude, they hit like trucks, they're easy to kill when you're done with them, and they don't stick around and snack on you when they beat your rear end

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So I've managed to put together a semi-decent team of fighters (attack levels in the 70's) and decided to try my luck against a Holy Nation military base that is near my camp. Found an inquisitor patrolling with three high paladins and four other paladins.

Did not go so well. Got my rear end handed over to me, wasn't even able to touch the inquisitor and Shryke lost an arm in the scuffle.

Now I am trying to recover in a nearby ravine where I placed a bunch of sleeping bags hoping another patrol does not detect me.

I did manage to kidnap one of the high paladins which I'll proceed to imprison and try to coax into joining me. Free combat trained recruit, if you will.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Paranoid Peanut posted:

So I've managed to put together a semi-decent team of fighters (attack levels in the 70's) and decided to try my luck against a Holy Nation military base that is near my camp. Found an inquisitor patrolling with three high paladins and four other paladins.

Did not go so well. Got my rear end handed over to me, wasn't even able to touch the inquisitor and Shryke lost an arm in the scuffle.

Now I am trying to recover in a nearby ravine where I placed a bunch of sleeping bags hoping another patrol does not detect me.

I did manage to kidnap one of the high paladins which I'll proceed to imprison and try to coax into joining me. Free combat trained recruit, if you will.

is armor pen stuff the way to go with those heavily armored guys?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

is armor pen stuff the way to go with those heavily armored guys?
Yeah, basically. Against standard bandit types, you can get away with using things like nodachis and naginatas, but when you're trying to take on heavily armed opponents, you want to adjust your loadout for the occasion. That extra "+20% against human enemies" or "+20% to armor penetration" is really felt. I think armor penetration in particular is just a flat subtractive cut, not multiplicative, but I'm not certain. You really can tell the difference, though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm thinking of restarting... I'm on day 141 now, had my base going since day ~85 or so.

I'm not bored exactly, but Fog Islands is kind of a boring place to build. Fogmen are fun, and using them to build toughness and tear off limbs (though tricky at times) is useful... there are almost no dangers besides them.

the only raids I get are scrawny bandits, and occasionally dust bandits. both of which are weak as gently caress.

Fog islands are also a real loving pain to auto-path through, I often have to babysit my dudes through it cause they stop randomly all the time. especially coming to my base.

it's a good location otherwise, but I need a little spice in life.

oh also the game has been slowing down dramatically. my dudes running around doing poo poo do it in fits and starts, often standing still for 5-10 seconds before doing their next task. this is on 3x speed too, so it'd be more like a minute on normal speed.

oh also I never get visitors, which i guess is to be expected.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I always find it neat how organically shaped people's bases are when they post them here. I always just pick a spot and make a Minecraft-style square survival box.

quote:

oh also the game has been slowing down dramatically. my dudes running around doing poo poo do it in fits and starts, often standing still for 5-10 seconds before doing their next task. this is on 3x speed too, so it'd be more like a minute on normal speed.

oh also I never get visitors, which i guess is to be expected.
Yeah, that happens. Depending on how many dudes you have and how complicated your base has become, the pathfinding starts to be more expensive, so you can start to get CPU bottlenecks.

Visitors really only pop in on the caravan routes, I think. They won't go out of their way to visit you on Fog Tower Island or whatever, if you choose to hunker down there.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Panfilo posted:

Yeah martial arts is a real pain to develop in the vanilla game. You need to hit like 15 or 20 iirc before you can do anything good in combat and getting there is tedious. I can understand that since MA is very strong once you get out of the dumpster. To the point where you can one-shot most enemies without heavy armor and it still keeps getting better. I fell in love with MA after I stumbled over the red sabres base and destroyed their leader with a single sucker-punch. Right now I'm building a punch-bot unit from my skellies that I eventually will take into the HN

I use the "sanbox training" mod which has dummies for every skill and just let my people train until they hit 50 in their relevant areas. Then I go out into the world and have fun before I cycle them back into training so that they hit 80 for my endgame activites. It sure does break the balance of the game though so it may not be for everyone

Not related but still kenshi.jpeg

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I fell in love with Martial Arts after a failed raid on Stack. All my guys were captured. My MA dudes were able to get out and skirmish with folks. My weapon users were SOL, as the Paladins had taken their weapons. It was from that day forward that I decreed that no weapon shall ever be used (aside from crossbows). MA dudes are never unarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saul Kain posted:

MA dudes are never unarmed.

- Tinfist