Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

is this made up

cockney rhyming slang is dumb as hell but i genuinely did not know that bread, dukes, etc had that basis. a worthwhile wikipedia page.

my favorite weird national slang is verlan, which is basically a french kind of pig latin except it's widespread and in common use. you break a word into syllables and say them in reverse order

e.g. "femme", woman -- fe meu -> meu fe -> meuf which is comparable to "chick"

e.g. "bouteille", bottle -- bou tei -> tei bou -> teibou is what you ask your buddy if he wants at the bar.

if it's a single syllable you just say it backwards -- e.g. "cool" (english loan word) becomes "looc"

the name itself, verlan, is verlan for "l'envers", which means "backwards"

:france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my fav cockney slang words are "septic" and "antiseptic"

septic tank -> yank

so, american and antiamerican

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The Chad House, which was built by John Wyeth Jr. for John Chads (also spelled Chadds), is located in Chadds Ford, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
want to blow this man

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Image of Klepacki from Rocktronic (2004)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Criticism

Breasturants have been criticized for being sexist.[12]

See also

Bikini barista
Butlers Café
Café con piernas

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Criticism

Breasturants have been criticized for being sexist.[12]

See also

Bikini barista
Butlers Café
Café con piernas

not worthless

Male oriented restaurants with a similar focus on server appearance include Tallywackers, featuring scantily clad men, which opened in Dallas, Texas, in May 2015 and closed in August 2016.[8][9] In Japan, there are places like Macho Cafe[10] and Macho Meat Shop,[11] where brawny men serve food and drinks for a limited time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

aardvaard posted:

Image of Klepacki from Rocktronic (2004)

lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Silver Alicorn posted:

Wikimedia commons has media related to Whale tail

Scrolled past this twice before i realized she had it on wrong

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
holy poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just smoking a cigar at the Amish wedding, wearing a Canadian tuxedo with my thong set to 120 degrees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

Scrolled past this twice before i realized she had it on wrong

yeah it's supposed to be all crammed up your asscrack

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it's supposed to be all crammed up your asscrack

text me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

Just smoking a cigar at the Amish wedding, wearing a Canadian tuxedo with my thong set to 120 degrees

hell, :same:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

Just smoking a cigar at the Amish wedding

big doinks out here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i bet that table has a bunch of red cups on it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A beehive fence is a fence which is built to deter elephants based on their natural fear of bees.[1]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

can a bee even sting through elephant skin? maybe if they sting in the eyes or gums or butthole???

but even if they couldnt really sting, an elephant might use its superior memory of the annoyance of a swarm of insects* to avoid them in the future????

* how good is elephant eyesight, can they identify bees from idk mosquitos or houseflies??????

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the bee saga is an ancient tale of elephantkind, the full story of which is only passed down from matriarch to matriarch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im the Irritator

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I found the greatest word in the english language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactagogue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactagogue posted:

A galactagogue, or galactogogue, (from Greek: γάλα [γαλακτ-], milk, + ἀγωγός, leading) is a substance that promotes lactation in humans and other animals.[1][2] It may be synthetic, plant-derived, or endogenous. They may be used to treat low milk supply.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

im the Irritator

Irritator is actually a cool dinosaur, so good for you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The first anime music video was created in 1982 by 21-year-old Jim Kaposztas.[1] Kaposztas hooked up two VCRs to each other and edited the most violent scenes from Star Blazers to "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles to produce a humorous effect.[2]

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
A funny animal is an anthropomorphic animal character who lives like a human.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Mad Dog didn't generate much interest, either in sales or among fans, in what sounded like and is often referred as to by fans as "The Son of" Rigor Mortis a second volume of Rock & Roll pastiches rubbing shoulders with items of dubious taste.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bong#/media/File:Red_pepper_bong.jpg

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_videos_in_the_first_24_hours

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A study from the University of Michigan provided evidence that demonstrated an association between the Flint water crisis and sleep conditions.[411] Surveys were offered at every opportunity, including by mail, email, social media, and in-person events to as many Flint, Michigan residents as possible. 834 respondents from September 30, 2015 to September 28, 2016 were included in the analysis. In the survey, respondents had to rate the quality of their tap water (taste, smell, appearance), rate the quality of their sleep, list the duration of sleep in a typical night, and fill out basic demographics. The study found that a lower perceived quality of tap water was associated with lower sleep quality and a shorter duration of sleep.[411]

love to help the people with no water by bothering them with questionnaires to investigate the possibility of a link between stress and sleeplessness. gently caress you. genuinely angry here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
better not show how poor people are being oppressed, it might upset some nerd

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
really glad that this study raised awareness that people don't like it when they can't drink or cook. it doesn't "show how" anything. it spent effort that could have gone to absolutely anything of substance (including a study with a shred of insight into the problem) on verifying a self-evident banality.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sham bam bamina! posted:

really glad that this study raised awareness that people don't like it when they can't drink or cook. it doesn't "show how" anything. it spent effort that could have gone to absolutely anything of substance (including a study with a shred of insight into the problem) on verifying a self-evident banality.

how dare those college students attempt to research a topic relevant to their classmates and possibly themselves as well

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
if it was an undergrad project then yeah never mind, who gives a poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh wait it was two phds, lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sham bam bamina! posted:

oh wait it was two phds, lol

and?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

what point do you think you're making

like christ that says right there that one of the lead researchers is a government official in the relevant county. they're 100% supposed to be researching poo poo like this my dude. especially since michigan's dictator system tends to hamper efforts by local government/people to control their own poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
you know what, that's a fair point. if bureaucracy needs numbers shoved in its face i guess you don't really need a thesis to get them.